PDA

View Full Version : Is the 90s the Unluckiest generation?

SAVAGE CLAW
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I was just wondering myself where may be Jamaal Mashburn, he was an authentic beast of a player but after that long injury he just retired? they never mentioned that he couldnt go back to play.....

Well thinking about it i remembered my idol, Bernard King who would have hanged up with Bird and Magic as the top TRIO of the 80s if not for Injuries.

There have always been trumped careers by injuries but for some reason it seems the 90s players have been Specially Unlucky with them , whats the reason behind that? .

Examples:

Alonzo Mourning: Got his career slowered because of his hart.

Afernee Hardaway: A hell of a player until he injured and never came back to be 50% of what he was.

Bryant Reeves: Ok not in the league of those above mentioned but still, a valuable center whose back didnt hang around enough time.

Michael Dickerson: Could have reached the All-star level, but injuries never allowed it.

Allan Houston: Well , he indeed did a good and somehow long career but sitll it was held back by his injuries, he is still trying hard to come back.

Larry Johnson: too much weight on his shoulders broke his back, and us knick fans dreams.

Kenny Anderson: He never recovered his Nets form after injury.

Grant Hill: From Best of all time candidate to Role player , sure he damns the day he signed for Orlando.

Brad Daugherty: Altough drafted in the last 80s, he was meant to be a force to reckon at c during the decade, pity it never happened.

Jamaal Mashburn: Quality game + muscle, all you could ask for a star to be...

Shawn Kemp: yes i know i know is not exactly injuries what happened and if i was to include Failed 90ers for being Drunkards or Drugaddicts or whatever the list would be much longer (Vin Backer, Jr Rider, Richard Dumas etc etc etc) but he is maybe the most talented of all that subcategory.

Bobby Hurley: Sacramentos ascension to being competitive would have been much easier with him.

Billy Owen: i dont even recall what in hell happened to him.

So as you see thats a long list of wasted potential.

Why did it happen that way?

GCOOKIE7
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Keon Clark= crackhead
he was so sick to watch

still1ballin
08-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Keith Closs yo

bogdanrom
08-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Grant Hill is one of my favorite players. He was amazing his first years. In one season he averaged 21.4 ppg 9.0 rpg 7.3 rpg and 1.8 spg. That was his third season in the NBA. Plus he lived in the same neighborhood as me.

JordansBulls
08-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I was just wondering myself where may be Jamaal Mashburn, he was an authentic beast of a player but after that long injury he just retired? they never mentioned that he couldnt go back to play.....

Well thinking about it i remembered my idol, Bernard King who would have hanged up with Bird and Magic as the top TRIO of the 80s if not for Injuries.

There have always been trumped careers by injuries but for some reason it seems the 90s players have been Specially Unlucky with them , whats the reason behind that? .

Examples:

Alonzo Mourning: Got his career slowered because of his hart.

Afernee Hardaway: A hell of a player until he injured and never came back to be 50% of what he was.

Bryant Reeves: Ok not in the league of those above mentioned but still, a valuable center whose back didnt hang around enough time.

Michael Dickerson: Could have reached the All-star level, but injuries never allowed it.

Allan Houston: Well , he indeed did a good and somehow long career but sitll it was held back by his injuries, he is still trying hard to come back.

Larry Johnson: too much weight on his shoulders broke his back, and us knick fans dreams.

Kenny Anderson: He never recovered his Nets form after injury.

Grant Hill: From Best of all time candidate to Role player , sure he damns the day he signed for Orlando.

Brad Daugherty: Altough drafted in the last 80s, he was meant to be a force to reckon at c during the decade, pity it never happened.

Jamaal Mashburn: Quality game + muscle, all you could ask for a star to be...

Shawn Kemp: yes i know i know is not exactly injuries what happened and if i was to include Failed 90ers for being Drunkards or Drugaddicts or whatever the list would be much longer (Vin Backer, Jr Rider, Richard Dumas etc etc etc) but he is maybe the most talented of all that subcategory.

Bobby Hurley: Sacramentos ascension to being competitive would have been much easier with him.

Billy Owen: i dont even recall what in hell happened to him.

So as you see thats a long list of wasted potential.

Why did it happen that way?

I highlighted all of the guys that were just great players in the 90's but for one reason or another there greatness didn't last real long.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Accually Mashburn was a star with the Hornets in 2002-2003. He made his only allstar appearence that year, so I wouldn't include him here.. Allan Housten was also an allstar in 2000 AND 2001, so I wouldn't include him in this either.

Both players got into major injuries in the 2000's, so they shouldn't be here.

jjizle
08-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Zo had some weird kidney disease not heart problems, he had a transplant and everything, but him LJ, Grant, and Hardaway def. woulda been remembered more if they didn't get screwed with health problems.

Chaudhry
08-12-2008, 01:19 AM
how bout Antonio mcdyess... he was in the same boat as kemp... insane vertical... good height... he was an allstar (in 2001 though) all rookie first team(1996) member of 2000 olympic team(gold)... and then knee trouble reduced him to a bench player... role player at best... yea his injury was 2001-2002 season but he was a product of the 90's

Lakersfan2483
08-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Of all the guys you mentioned, the most talented players with the most dissapointing careers are: Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, and Chris Webber.

lavis
08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
What about Magic Johnson? He was injured in the nineties..

Jeremy5150
08-12-2008, 02:23 AM
I like Grant Hill as a role player.... Tione too...

FromDallas
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
What about Magic Johnson? He was injured in the nineties..

Is HIV an injury?

18colts29
08-12-2008, 05:15 PM
:confused:

DeeJay
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
how bout Antonio mcdyess... he was in the same boat as kemp... insane vertical... good height... he was an allstar (in 2001 though) all rookie first team(1996) member of 2000 olympic team(gold)... and then knee trouble reduced him to a bench player... role player at best... yea his injury was 2001-2002 season but he was a product of the 90's

Yeah, he could have been great, hes a still a decent player now, but cant play too many minutes, I certainly miss the McDyess in his young/uninjured days, Grant Hill too.

BigSteve
08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I remember watching Penny in college. I thought he was going to be the second coming. It was a shame when injuries slowed him. He was fun to watch.

_Sn1P3r_
08-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Grant Hill is one of my favorite players. He was amazing his first years. In one season he averaged 21.4 ppg 9.0 rpg 7.3 rpg and 1.8 spg. That was his third season in the NBA. Plus he lived in the same neighborhood as me.

Is it 7.3 apg?

bogdanrom
08-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Is it 7.3 apg?

Yeah my bad it's 7.3 apg.

LAcowBOMBER
08-14-2008, 04:17 AM
I don't know thatmuch about 80s basketball, but I bet that all generations have a ton of talent that is lost to injuries

innovator
08-14-2008, 05:09 AM
if grant hill didnt get injured he would have been better than kobe,lebron,etc.

MoJay
08-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Michael Dickerson prob. would be my fav. player he was going to be nasty