PDA

View Full Version : Kaman: "I didn't have the opportunity to play for the USA so here I am"

JWalk126
08-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/news/inte/p/newsid/27747/FE_news_inteArti.html)

BEIJING (Olympics) – Germany have Chris Kaman for now, but he may not be around next summer for the national team at the EuroBasket in Poland if Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t play.

That was the revelation by the American-born center after his 24 points helped propel the Germans to a 95-66 victory over Angola on the opening day of the men’s basketball tournament at the Olympics.

When asked if he would play for Germany in Poland, Kaman said to FIBA.com: "I don't know. It has a lot to do with Dirk, to be honest.

“Me and Dirk have done some talking and he wants to take a little bit of time off.

“I was hoping he (Dirk) would come back and play next year because that would make me for sure play, for sure.

“But if he doesn't, it is something I'm going to have to think about and talk to coach Dirk Bauermann."

Kaman, who was able to obtain a passport at the start of July and play for Dirk Bauermann’s team because his great grandparents were German, said he might have played for the country of his birth but explained: “I didn’t have the opportunity to play for the USA, so here I am.”

Here is the interview Kaman gave after his team’s win over Angola.

For the interview, click on the source

*Superman*
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't really give a **** that he is playing for Germany, if thats what he wants to do, then let him.

BTW are Kaman and Dirk dating now?

Dirty Dirk41
08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't really give a **** that he is playing for Germany, if thats what he wants to do, then let him.

:clap:

lakers4sho
08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Ok.

JimmyMal450
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
He wasn't going to make the USA team, so what's wrong with him wanting to play for Germany? I have no problem with it.

BlondeBomber41
08-11-2008, 08:29 PM
If Kaman wants to play with Dirk, he needs to take the MLE next time he is a FA and come to Dallas.

MG3
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
totally cool by me...why can't he play?

_Sn1P3r_
08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
A good player but doubted he was makin USA anyways.

JOE WE WANT 27
08-11-2008, 08:45 PM
aw poor kaman

PhillyLuver
08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
People shouldn't be giving him **** at all, he made a fine decision

Sports Illustrator
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I actually may be on the minority here but I do think he'd have a chance of playing for team USA if he was able to considering the amount of big man that team USA has. There weren't many bigs in the NBA who were willing to play anyway. I understand there are much better and talented players than Chris Kaman though.

Yogi
08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I didn't have a chance, don't see me crying about anything.

JWalk126
08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I only posted this because I backup his choice to play for Germany

there are all these haters who dont like the idea of Kaman playing for Germany when he himself isnt German

Sox Appeal
08-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I only posted this because I backup his choice to play for Germany

there are all these haters who dont like the idea of Kaman playing for Germany when he himself isnt German

If he isn't German, how is he be eligible to play for them?

JWalk126
08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
If he isn't German, how is he be eligible to play for them?

he got a German passport... if I remember correctly, countries allow people to get an passport you can trace the nationality back up to 3 generations

weebs
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I think it's ridiculous that he's playing for Germany. This isn't the NBA, this isn't free agency, this isn't a pickup game. This is a tournament of who the best country is, Kaman flat out made up some citizenship to play in the Olympics - you're American, dude. You play for America, and if you can't, tough beans. It sucks for players in Germany that have dreamed of playing for their country for years to see their roster spot go to some selfish American who's stealing their dream so he can have his, but for a foreign country? I think it's ridiculous.

Rome
08-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Don't really have a problem with it, him and dirk are just gonna get smashed on when we play them.

m26555
08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
The sense of national pride in this country is pathetic..

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Why is this such a big deal?? Kaman wasn't asked to play for Team USA and he found another way in. There's actually a thread in another forum saying that he should not be playing for Germany since they were our enemies in World War II, which is ridiculous.
I doubt he's taking any great German center's place,btw.

weebs
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Why is this such a big deal?? Kaman wasn't asked to play for Team USA and he found another way in. There's actually a thread in another forum saying that he should not be playing for Germany since they were our enemies in World War II, which is ridiculous.
I doubt he's taking any great German center's place,btw.

Who cares if the german center is great or not? it's so selfish of him to knock off a german player. it doesn't matter if that player is good or not, it's certainly his dream to play for his country, and some american comes in and takes his spot? please. people should be more upset at this.

MikeyBeingMikey
08-11-2008, 10:10 PM
he got a German passport... if I remember correctly, countries allow people to get an passport you can trace the nationality back up to 3 generations

Not true at all!
Different countries all have different rules concerening citizenship. This has nothing to do with tracing 3 generations or anything. You can play for any country you are a citizen of and you can become a citizen of any country that is willing to let you. Obviously you have never watched soccer (or football as the rest of the English-speaking world calls it) where every team has citizens of convenience. Look at Sam Dalembert...he is not Canadian in any way other than he became one to play for their basketball team. He suited up for the team like the very same day he got sworn in as a citizen of Canada.
This is a joke that players do this. Why bother having countries compete when it is not people from that country playing for them?
If Canada can't develop a good enough starting centre for their team they just buy one from the nearest third-world country? weak.

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Who cares if the german center is great or not? it's so selfish of him to knock off a german player. it doesn't matter if that player is good or not, it's certainly his dream to play for his country, and some american comes in and takes his spot? please. people should be more upset at this.
I think people are getting TOO upset over this. Why does it even matter that much to you? I'm curious-this is not an international catastrophe or is it?

still1ballin
08-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Kaman is albino.

hyp21
08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
big deal people. Part of being an AMERICAN is making your own decisions and having the RIGHT to do so and pursuing whatever in life you wish to do. That's what sets us aside from everyone else. So let's put our soapboxes in park and high horses back in the stables. Besides, it's not like Germany's gonna put up any type of fight.

Raptors27
08-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Not true at all!
Different countries all have different rules concerening citizenship. This has nothing to do with tracing 3 generations or anything. You can play for any country you are a citizen of and you can become a citizen of any country that is willing to let you. Obviously you have never watched soccer (or football as the rest of the English-speaking world calls it) where every team has citizens of convenience. Look at Sam Dalembert...he is not Canadian in any way other than he became one to play for their basketball team. He suited up for the team like the very same day he got sworn in as a citizen of Canada.
This is a joke that players do this. Why bother having countries compete when it is not people from that country playing for them?
If Canada can't develop a good enough starting centre for their team they just buy one from the nearest third-world country? weak.

Its because he grew up in montreal, you actually have to live in the place for like at leats 10 years to get your citizenship.

stevefrancis
08-11-2008, 10:35 PM
kobes playing for the u.s and he grew up in italy surprised some loser isnt making a big deal out of that or some ******** thread. actin like the u.s invited kaman to be on the team or even the select team. how do you invite luther head but not kaman.

weebs
08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I think people are getting TOO upset over this. Why does it even matter that much to you? I'm curious-this is not an international catastrophe or is it?
no, of course not. but the olympics are a sacred sporting event, and why even have countries compete against each other if their athletes aren't from those countries? this isn't an exhibition, it is ridiculous that the germans have an American player on their team, I don't care who he is...it's the principle of the thing. And yeah, I think it was a scum thing of Kaman to do to take a roster spot from a hard-working german basketball player.

weebs
08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
kobes playing for the u.s and he grew up in italy surprised some loser isnt making a big deal out of that or some ******** thread. actin like the u.s invited kaman to be on the team or even the select team. how do you invite luther head but not kaman.
kobe's been an american citizen for over 20 years and has played his entire basketball career here, it's not even close to the same situation. kaman's great grandparents are from germany or some crap like that.

JWalk126
08-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Its because he grew up in montreal, you actually have to live in the place for like at leats 10 years to get your citizenship.

actually its 5 years (3 if youre married to a citizen)

atleast thats what its like in the US

Ghouse
08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
He wasn't going to make the USA team, so what's wrong with him wanting to play for Germany? I have no problem with it.

Excatly. Great point. :clap:

mcnasty54
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Who cares where he plays? He is a good player but USA didn't need him, so he went somewhere else.

*Superman*
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
no, of course not. but the olympics are a sacred sporting event, and why even have countries compete against each other if their athletes aren't from those countries? this isn't an exhibition, it is ridiculous that the germans have an American player on their team, I don't care who he is...it's the principle of the thing. And yeah, I think it was a scum thing of Kaman to do to take a roster spot from a hard-working german basketball player.

I understand where you are coming from and i respect you opinion. Didn't this happen in the WNBA too, i heard that one of their stars couldn't make the USA team and went to play for another country.

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I understand where you are coming from and i respect you opinion. Didn't this happen in the WNBA too, i heard that one of their stars couldn't make the USA team and went to play for another country.
Yes-Becky Hammon wanted to play in the Olympics. She didn't make the US Team so she went to play for Russia. I have no idea if she actually has any Russian background, though.

*Superman*
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Ahh, thats her name.lol. Yeah i don't think that she has a Russian background. It was on TV that people were all over her asss for doing that.

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I get what you're saying. However, anything could have happened to the hard working German center that Kaman replaced-maybe he's injured/unable to play. Kaman didn't kill anyone for this spot nor did he turn down a spot on the US team in order to play for Germany. If he had done that, it would be pretty crappy. He hasn't really done anything wrong.
A majority of a country's team is actually made up of citizens of that country and I think it will stay that way-Kaman & Hammon seem to be in the minority in that respect, but to be honest...this is being blown way out of proportion.

weebs
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I get what you're saying. However, anything could have happened to the hard working German center that Kaman replaced-maybe he's injured/unable to play. Kaman didn't kill anyone for this spot nor did he turn down a spot on the US team in order to play for Germany. If he had done that, it would be pretty crappy. He hasn't really done anything wrong.
A majority of a country's team is actually made up of citizens of that country and I think it will stay that way-Kaman & Hammon seem to be in the minority in that respect, but to be honest...this is being blown way out of proportion.

I really don't think it's out of proportion, so we'll just have to disagree on that one. Bottom line for me is that Kaman playing against his own country is garbage and pushing a german player out of a roster spot on his country is totally bush league.

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Ahh, thats her name.lol. Yeah i don't think that she has a Russian background. It was on TV that people were all over her asss for doing that.
She's not selling U.S. secrets to the Russians or helping with any wars or anything. She likely won't win anything either, but this is a way of accomplishing a dream of hers. No harm is being done, from what I see. I thought it was a strange thing to do, but it is none of my (or anyone else's) concern and people are turning on her unnecessarily.

*Superman*
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I really don't think it's out of proportion, so we'll just have to disagree on that one. Bottom line for me is that Kaman playing against his own country is garbage and pushing a german player out of a roster spot on his country is totally bush league.

Just let it go, arguing isn't going to get Kaman off the German team. Either side can make a good statement if he should have went or not.

18colts29
08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm glad he gets to play for germany

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm glad he gets to play for germany
Why?

weebs
08-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Just let it go, arguing isn't going to get Kaman off the German team. Either side can make a good statement if he should have went or not.

I did just let it go.

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Agree to disagree-we're both adults. (I assume-I don't know your age).

weebs
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Agree to disagree-we're both adults. (I assume-I don't know your age).
haha, yeah. (24)

fabnfu2
08-11-2008, 11:51 PM
i know if i had the once in a lifetime opportunity to play in an olympics and my own country didn't have me on the team and someone else offered me to play for them i most def would jump at the opportunity, how can you blame the guy

weebs
08-12-2008, 01:19 AM
because i couldn't live with myself competing against my own country.

hyp21
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
^WHY NOT? correct me if Im wrong, but isn't it your RIGHT as an AMERICAN to have the freedom of choice to do whatever the hell you feel like doing within the law? Why harp on these people who choose NOT to play for the U.S. or choose to play for the U.S. or another country? I mean, isn't this what makes America "great?" FREEDOM OF CHOICE? Just like some of you have the right to bang on them for not playing for america they have the same right to play for a country that isn't america. I don't get what the fuss is about. the U.S. is going to win the gold anyway.

cambovenzi
08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
freedom of choice?
lol.

he is playing in the Olympics for another country.
i can easily see why his father is disappointed in him.

weebs
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM
^WHY NOT? correct me if Im wrong, but isn't it your RIGHT as an AMERICAN to have the freedom of choice to do whatever the hell you feel like doing within the law? Why harp on these people who choose NOT to play for the U.S. or choose to play for the U.S. or another country? I mean, isn't this what makes America "great?" FREEDOM OF CHOICE? Just like some of you have the right to bang on them for not playing for america they have the same right to play for a country that isn't america. I don't get what the fuss is about. the U.S. is going to win the gold anyway.
If you think this has to do with rights, you are completely missing the point. Of course Kaman has the right to do it. But it's bush league to screw a german player out of a roster spot and it's even worse to represent a country other than your own and compete against the USA. and enough with the "usa is going to win anyways" because that has nothing to do with it.

zambo4president
08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
he just wanted to be a part of the olympics. we all know he isnt team usa material, so he went to germany, probably because dirk was there and he thought they could do well together. who cares if he is playing for germany its chris ****ing kaman

weebs
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
It's amazing how many people are missing the point.

Lakergirl24
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
The guy was born and raised in America. He's American. I think it's messed up he's playing for germany. Thats my opinion.

Lakergirl24
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
If you think this has to do with rights, you are completely missing the point. Of course Kaman has the right to do it. But it's bush league to screw a german player out of a roster spot and it's even worse to represent a country other than your own and compete against the USA. and enough with the "usa is going to win anyways" because that has nothing to do with it.

I think we are the only ones on the same page here

hyp21
08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
^well that sounds like a problem for Germany.....Oh, wait, I'm pretty sure they could give less than a damn that some bum in Germany wants to play when they can have Chris Kaman who's n all odds better than most of their players that they have now. So......again, who cares? I could give a rat's azz a bout people doing things that we all may consider bush league. ALL I care about is that OUR U.S. team wins the gold. If Kobe played for Italy, Josh Childress played for Greece, or Lebron played for abu dhabi, I could care less as LONG AS THE U.S.A wins the gold. Ths is taking away from the people who have the balls to play for the U.S. Screw the guys who ain't play for us. Hell, kaman wouldn't make it on the team over Bosh, Howard, and Boozer anyway. He just wants to play in the olympics. My opinion, better your game and maybe you'd get an invite and don't be a sellout and play for another country. But he makes a hell of a lot more money than I do and it's his right to do what he feels. I dont think that's besides the point at all.

weebs
08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I find it ridiculous that people's judgement of this situation hinges entirely on the US's success. If by some chance Kaman put up 30 against us and we lost, everyone's opinion would change? That's stupid. If that's even a possiblity then it's cause for concern, we shouldn't even be put in a situation having to compete against one of our own in a competition between countries.

hockeypro68
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
So whats everyone going to say if Kobe or LeBron signs with a European team for 50million? The fact that they BOTH said they would do so is in itself just as bad as Kaman playing for Germany. At least with Kaman, its not about the money, its about playing Olympic Basketball when given the opportunity.

weebs
08-12-2008, 05:57 PM
So whats everyone going to say if Kobe or LeBron signs with a European team for 50million? The fact that they BOTH said they would do so is in itself just as bad as Kaman playing for Germany. At least with Kaman, its not about the money, its about playing Olympic Basketball when given the opportunity.
How is that just as bad? They're doing it for way more money than they can get here, and they're not in direct competition with our country. This is the Olympics. That's apples and oranges. Who wouldn't take $50 mill a year with no taxes to play basketball?

hockeypro68
08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Someone who doesn't care about the money so much. We're talking about Multi-MILLIONAIRES, the 2 biggest names in the NBA, both of which are ready to pack up and leave for the Euro-league. Just abandon the NBA and their millions of fans in the US to make more money that they don't need. It would be INSANE if either one of them left the league. I guarantee you they'd be hated nationwide and given a lot more crap for their move than Kaman. How is it any different? It's comparing Kaman, who just wants to play in the summer olympics vs SUPERSTARS Lebron and kobe who are ready to ditch America and the NBA completely.

weebs
08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
leaving for money and dishonoring your country are 2 completely different topics. this is more than a stretch.

Indi23
08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
leaving for money and dishonoring your country are 2 completely different topics. this is more than a stretch.

You see this in soccer all the time... well you said Kaman was "born" in US... Raised in US so he "shouldn't" be allowed to switch.. well hes not leaving the country to join their military..... its basketball..... Soccer players do it all the time... if they dont get there national team they go to another. so i say he took up a opportunity many would have taken...

Driven
08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
So many Olympic athletes do this.