PDA

View Full Version : RS President/CEO Lucchino could leave after season

redsox12
08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Heyman "people in high places in baseball" who believe Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino might leave after the season, possibly for the Dodgers. He's still butting heads with Theo Epstein apparently.

MLBTR

Nickday
08-11-2008, 05:50 PM
that's been a rumor since 03...

IceMan360
08-11-2008, 05:56 PM
^^^^exactly, probally BS anyways

Tragedy
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
1) We can manage without him.

2) This is a complete unfounded rumor.

3) It's been something that has been mentioned for years.

4) Slow news day, apparently.

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 07:43 AM
1) We can manage without him.

2) This is a complete unfounded rumor.

3) It's been something that has been mentioned for years.

Personally I think there's a lot more to it this time. The Dodgers managed to hire away Charles Steinberg (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/11/vp_charles_stei.html) during the last offseason. That may not seem like a great loss but he was a marketing genius and did a lot to fire the whole "Red Sox Nation" thing. Lucchino has long had a preference for the business side of baseball, has been losing battles with Theo, etc. It's really not unthinkable that he'd go on to another marquee MLB franchise in a better climate and try to rekindle the fire out there. It'd make for quite a resume, really.

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Rumor has it, not sure anyone cares , but that's the scoop. They said last night they have cash flow issues. So much for Manny staying....
They need someone to get the revenues up Larry is targeted.

Didn't see the other thread, so soorry.

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Dodgers have cash flow issues.

sboyajian
08-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Do you think the Dodgers ever get tired of having old Red Sox employees?

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Red Sox West?

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Lets start a where will Manny end up thread. No LA not with Lucchino there, trust me. He would jump off the Tobin first...

Tragedy
08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Bill Mueller works in their FO, so kind of funny on that note. :laugh2:

GHGHCP
08-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Mueller is more of a SF yes men that Ned Colletti hired then anything.

There aren't cash flow problems with the Dodgers, just not letting NedCo add more payroll tis all.

I can share more dirt and inside information on the Dodgers.. but doubt most of you guys care. :D

Towelie
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Let him go.

sboyajian
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I have to wonder if this is to do with Theo's last few years wanting (no.. demanding) more ownership and FO roles)

Towelie
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Theo deserves more.

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Mueller is more of a SF yes men that Ned Colletti hired then anything.

There aren't cash flow problems with the Dodgers, just not letting NedCo add more payroll tis all.

I can share more dirt and inside information on the Dodgers.. but doubt most of you guys care. :D

Explain why Boston had to pay Manny's deal. Also another guy they wanted the Dodgers asked for money to pay his salary the name slips me.
That's the reason they didn't get him. (CC iirc)

Lucchino specializes in revenue. I don't want to know but the rumor is there amongst team owners.

I know I could dig deeper, but I don't care enough.:p

GHGHCP
08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Explain why Boston had to pay Manny's deal. Also another guy they wanted the Dodgers asked for money to pay his salary the name slips me.
That's the reason they didn't get him. (CC iirc)

Lucchino specializes in revenue. I don't want to know but the rumor is there amongst team owners.

I know I could dig deeper, but I don't care enough.:p

Do you mean the first CC trade involving CC, Blake and Carrol for Kemp, Billingsley, Wade or Broxton and LaRoche or Hu? The first trade had us trading away most of our future for 3 rentals which is borderline ********. That trade had everything to do with McCourt and Logan White blocking that trade because it was horrible, not a problem with money issues.

This has everything to do with McCourt not allowing Ned Colletti to add anymore payroll as he is on the way out as GM. Why isn't NedCo making a big stink out of the situation? because he is saving face and not making waves to try to get another baseball related job elsewhere.

I could see Lucchino coming here I guess, McCourt does love money and anything Boston. Probably to help out later in marketing that Dodger network type thing that may be in the future. Ng leaves and becomes the first women GM for another club, maybe the M's.

The Intimidator
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Stacey Lucchino, Larry's wife, is the key factor here. She won't let him go anywhere :D

Tankjeep
08-12-2008, 11:15 PM

not until last nite's game!!

lil'papi
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/338671.html

Cash flow......not value.

The skinny
Owner Frank McCourt is taking steps to reduce the onerous debt load that came with his purchase of the team in 2004 for $421 million. He's selling 24-acres of land on the south Boston waterfront to News Corp. to cover a $145 million loan that McCourt took out when he purchased the team from News Corp. While the team went south on the field last year, McCourt boasted revenues 14% net of revenue sharing by raising ticket prices, adding club seats, and a renegotiated cable contract that pays $25 million a year, up from $15 million. Sponsorship revenues also jumped 40% thanks to new LED signage along the third and first base sides and the addition of two more signs along the outfield wall. The team drew more than 3 million fans for the tenth straight year.

lil'papi
08-13-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/33/07mlb_Los-Angeles-Dodgers_338671.html

After looking it over he will have plenty of money eventually. Lucchino would help in selling the brand that's his niche.
Again , nobody cares. He paid 355 mil value is now well north of 600mil.....but he invested 40mil in seats alone. Looks like he feels Lucchino can make him even more loot. Especially in that market......

Don't know anything about Larry's wife though. lol Really...

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Peter.. Thanks for stopping by. John Heyman posted on his site that Larry Lucchino could be heading out of town at the end of this season. Please tell me this isn't the case. You were one of the first to report that he might be part of the new Red Sox ownership group..long before it happened. Larry has his share of critics, but look at what the Sox have accomplished with this current nucleus. I hope you can shed some light on this???

Peter_Gammons
I had heard that rumor two weeks before from some people that worked for the Padres, I do know that Frank McCourt would love to bring Lucchino to the Dodgers to straighten out the archaic mess in LA. But I was also told by someone close to Larry and with the Red Sox that there is no way that John henry and Tom Werner would let Larry go because of what you stated. I've spent a lot of time with the Cubs this season and they are stating that their entire business model is copied from the Red Sox right down to the design for luxury boxes that Janet Marie Smith and Lucchino drew up.

Source: Boston Globe

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
General manager Theo Epstein denied reports he and team president Larry Lucchino were heading for a split, as an SI.com article indicated earlier this week. The story said Lucchino might be headed to Los Angeles to head the Dodgers because he and Epstein are at odds, including the decision to part with Manny Ramírez. Lucchino responded, "Nothing [to it]. Speculation like this comes up every once in a while. A few weeks ago I was rumored be going north [to Toronto], this time to California. The fact is, I love Boston, New England, and the Red Sox and I want to finish my baseball career here with my family and my partners and my colleagues."

Source: Boston Globe

Tragedy
08-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I've spent a lot of time with the Cubs this season and they are stating that their entire business model is copied from the Red Sox right down to the design for luxury boxes that Janet Marie Smith and Lucchino drew up.
Impressive. It's pretty nice to see just how much influence the Red Sox have right now. Absolutely, without question, the best run franchise today.

papipapsmanny
08-14-2008, 11:40 AM
lucchino is much smarter than theo

lucchino = only reason theo got a job in the 1st place

Greenmonster24
08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I actaully like Theo better. Where is Lucchino smarter. I like to give Theo a higher ranking in the organation. I think he should still play roles in drafting players and developement but he been terrific here and would be great to be part ownership. He is young enough to keep this organation strong for a long time.

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 03:09 PM
lucchino is much smarter than theo

lucchino = only reason theo got a job in the 1st place

They're just not comparable. Lucchino is a very smart businessman. If he were running the show we'd be a very efficient business enterprise with very little to show on the field (as was and is the case in Baltimore). Epstein has put together an amazing baseball op though he probably can't do business the way Lucchino can. It took both of them to get the Sox to where they are.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Comparing apples to oranges. Both are pretty bright seeing where they went to school what they've accomplished.
One's a business genious who hired Theo knowing he was a genious or possibly one at the BB end. Eventually Theo will be a top GM right now he is learning still. He is very,very bright and hires guys to make him look even smarter.

Lucchino his expertise is $$$$. Henry/Werner like that in him :D