PDA

View Full Version : The Five Biggest IF's in the East

phlp_bj
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
IF the trade to Toronto was all Jermaine O'Neal needed to turn his career back around…
After establishing himself as one of the best big men in the league Jermaine has seen his production decline noticeably since 2004-2005. Injuries have plagued him as of late, but the thought of him playing alongside Chris Bosh has Raptor fans very optimistic. In Toronto O'Neal will not be expected to carry the load like he was in Indiana. Ideally Jermaine would take a backseat to Bosh offensively, instead focusing on the defensive side of the court where his help is needed the most. If O'Neal dedicates himself he is definitely capable of having a Defensive Player of the Year-type season.

IF the Pistons buy into Michael Curry's system…
With Boston's bench taking such a big hit the Pistons are arguably the best team in the East right now on paper. On several occasions Flip Saunders' control of the team was brought into question and no doubt played a part in his firing. Without any head coaching experience it's hard not to wonder if Curry will have the same problem.

IF the HEAT can get enough production outside of Dwayne Wade…
Considering how great Wade has looked for Team USA so far it's really not a question anymore of whether or not he'll be back to his regular self. What will be interesting is if he can lead this HEAT team back to the playoffs as currently assembled. They are a young team that will need an MVP-caliber season from Wade to keep pace in the East that has improved significantly this summer. Thanks to the extended rest he got in the second half of last season Wade certainly looks capable, but whether or not the rest of this HEAT team will be able to provide the support needed to finish in the top eight is the bigger question.
IF Derrick Rose lives up to the hype…
After a disappointing season last year very few people are considering the Bulls a playoff team right now, unless their first overall pick delivers from the start. The quicker the Bulls can rely on Rose as a starter the quicker they can trade Kirk Heinrich and move forward with their new (hopeful) franchise player. Rose has the potential to make everyone on the Bulls better and if they are going to get out of the lottery and back into the playoffs he's going to have to be ready to contribute.
IF the Atlanta Hawks have finally turned the corner…
One of the biggest surprises in the NBA last season was the emergence of the Atlanta Hawks not just as a playoff team, but a team that took the eventual NBA champs to seven games. Is one strong playoff performance all this young squad needed to get past the years of being among the league's worst? It's been ten years since expectations were this high in Atlanta, but this is still a very young team and Mike Woodson doesn't exactly instill the confidence needed to say this team can once again be among the top eight in the East.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9740

MiamiHeat
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
IF the HEAT can get enough production outside of Dwayne Wade…
Considering how great Wade has looked for Team USA so far it's really not a question anymore of whether or not he'll be back to his regular self. What will be interesting is if he can lead this HEAT team back to the playoffs as currently assembled. They are a young team that will need an MVP-caliber season from Wade to keep pace in the East that has improved significantly this summer. Thanks to the extended rest he got in the second half of last season Wade certainly looks capable, but whether or not the rest of this HEAT team will be able to provide the support needed to finish in the top eight is the bigger question.

He will play like an MVP you guys can be sure of that :up:

Chronz
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
As soon as I read the topic I instantly thought of Jermaine

DrHoops21
08-11-2008, 04:29 PM

fa shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooo

get it understood

greek miami hea
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM

yeah!lets go heat.and with beasley and marion he will have more than enough backup!!!!and we have a quite good bench:D:D

J$mo0th_3o5
08-11-2008, 05:42 PM

MVP MVP MVP!!!

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I definitely think D Wade will be a top 3 MVP candidate this year. A lot of eyes will be on him and I expect him to deliver. But like the article says, who else will deliver w/ him? Definitely a valid "if".

rapswin98
08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
if jermaine has a monster season, watch out for the raps. wade is healthy watch out for the heat.

pwest6
08-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Yeah, so did I. If Jermaine is healthy they will challenge for the #2 seed in the East.

still1ballin
08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Man, all the heat fans have come out of their shells....ever since they drafted beasley, and ever since wade is playing outstanding in the olympics, it seems there everywhere.....last season when they had THE worst record in the league, they were not to be found.

lakers4sho
08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
What the hell is Michael Curry's system?? :confused:

MiamiHeat
08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Man, all the heat fans have come out of their shells....ever since they drafted beasley, and ever since wade is playing outstanding in the olympics, it seems there everywhere.....last season when they had THE worst record in the league, they were not to be found.

where were you when the Lakers lost the finals?:cool:

JordansBulls
08-11-2008, 07:25 PM
If Shawn Marion could get 20 and 10 then the Heat will be a contender.

MiamiHeat
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM

:pray: he was close to it last year

2007-08 Statistics
PPG
RPG

LakerzDQ
08-11-2008, 07:41 PM

those days are behind him. having Shawn Marion give 15 and 10 is the most I expect out of him next season.

Beasley would have to develop fast though, to become the 2nd option for the team. maybe he'll have a monster ROY season, and average like 20 pts/8 rbs

_Sn1P3r_
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Haha same. Also about the Derrick Rose hype.

JordansBulls
08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
those days are behind him. having Shawn Marion give 15 and 10 is the most I expect out of him next season.

Beasley would have to develop fast though, to become the 2nd option for the team. maybe he'll have a monster ROY season, and average like 20 pts/8 rbs

For most of the season he was playing behind Nash and Amare.

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM

Looks like you just described the yourself and fellow Laker fans before the Gasol trade. I didn't even start posting regularly on this site until the summer and my Heat allegiance has never swayed. You act as if we just won the championship. We drafted Beasley and D Wade is playing great..so what? What does that guarantee? We could come back and post the same record again. And guess what? If we're still active on this site, we'll still be posting and talking about the Heat.

Ghouse
08-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Uh excuse me? I doubt it...and plus no Lakers fan shouldn't be talking at all. I was going with the team before the Olympics and before Beasley. Didn't hear any Laker fan until Pau came to town.

still1ballin
08-11-2008, 10:32 PM
where were you when the Lakers lost the finals?:cool:

I was in the Lakers fourms discussing the end result of the series....where were you all last season when the heat had the worst record?

Looks like you just described the yourself and fellow Laker fans before the Gasol trade. I didn't even start posting regularly on this site until the summer and my Heat allegiance has never swayed. You act as if we just won the championship. We drafted Beasley and D Wade is playing great..so what? What does that guarantee? We could come back and post the same record again. And guess what? If we're still active on this site, we'll still be posting and talking about the Heat.

LOL you think the Gasol trade made the laker fans come out of their graves and started to root for them? FYI Lakers were in first place before Bynum went down, and of course couple games we fell out of #1, then we landed Gasol.....what I am trying to say is lately I've been seeing a lot of heat fans posting this whole summer when last year it would be rare to see a heat fan actually post here.

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Well we're here now and in full effect. W/o Beasley being drafted nor Dwyane Wade's reemergence being the reason.

primetimekings
08-11-2008, 11:56 PM
yeah!lets go heat.and with beasley and marion he will have more than enough backup!!!!and we have a quite good bench:D:D

u guys have no bench no PG no C u guys will struggle to make the playoffs

Ph1lly Diehard
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I too thought of Jermaine being a big if too..

Also, being a 76er fan, I also thought of Brand, however, I like how he played his only 8 games last season at the last 8 games, meaning he played after his injury.

heyman321
08-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Yes! A Heat and Laker fan showoff.

Anyways, the Raptors should be able to contend for the 2,3 or 4 seed in the east imo.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-12-2008, 12:09 AM
If the Celtics thinks the objective is done and age starts affecting his legs, they may be up for an upseting season.

If Jermaine Oneal does not get injured Raptors could maybe get some places, at least a bit further than last 2 years.

If Knicks Players buy into Dantonis system, and they start playing acording to their Nba Live Ratings....WATCH OUT!!!!

If Cavs start the season sucking maybe 2010 rampage may come sooner than expected.

If Sixers assemble correctly they could get a chance to fight back the Lakers .

conway429
08-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Uh excuse me? I doubt it...and plus no Lakers fan shouldn't be talking at all. I was going with the team before the Olympics and before Beasley. Didn't hear any Laker fan until Pau came to town.

haha I'm sure there were Lakers fans before Gasol...

Raptors are gonna kill it if JO and Bosh stay healthy.