PDA

View Full Version : Coaches

barreleffact
08-11-2008, 06:06 AM
I heard someone on a forum bash Avery Johnson and it made me wonder. What coaches in the league would you consider better? In the few years he's been in the league he has over a 60 win percentage and took a team that struggled to make/contend in the 2nd round all the way to the finals. He taught defense and turned a run and gun team into a team that actually had solid D the year they went to the finals. Basicly my question is, what is your list of the top coaches in the league 1st, and what are some negatives and positives for Avery Johnson?

bogdanrom
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Avery Johnson is a good coach but he also inherited a really good team. He had a lot pieces to the puzzle already there, Devin Harris, Stackhouse, Howard, and Dirk. I think Larry Brown is the best coach right now. He took a team of basically know body, except maybe Rasheed to the promise land over the Lakers. He created a team that is still succesful right now, years after he left. Phil is a close second. He has the titles, but like Avery he has the opportunity to coach some of the best players ever. Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe. You don't really need to be coach to win when you have Kobe and Shaq or Jordan and Pippen.

NYstateofMinD
08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
^^ dumb comment..how do you not coach players like Kobe and Shaq, MJ and Pippen? People forget that before Phil MJ didn't win anything. People forget that before Phil the Lakers were getting bounced out the playoffs and as soon as Phil began coaching them they began winning Championships. I think Avery is a good coach but not a great one. He basically inherited a team that's been a powerhouse before he came there. Only thing he did was make them play defense, something Don Nelson never did. He's still a young coach though. He needs to become more versatile with the type of players he has.(ex. using Jason Kidd to his strengths instead of making him a jump shooter) I think that will just take some experience for him and he'll be a great coach one day.

Spridge 76
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Phil is without a doubt the best coach of the last 20 years.
Winning once may be lucky, winning twice could also be lucky, winning 9 times can only be excellent coaching and man management. The players know what to do, the team know how to execute, they understand what the other team is going to do and they are willing to sacrifice personal goals to deliver the team goals.

Avery may be good, he may not. Until he has had time to develop and show he can coach bad teams into being ok teams and good teams into being title winners he can't be considered a great coach.
Personally I think he will do well if he is given time in one place. He can mould a group of players into his style and they are likely to be winners.

lakers4sho
08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Avery doesn't know how to work with the talent he has.

Jay22Redd
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Avery is a good coach. Cuban should have let him keep Devin Harris because they wouldve been better than what they are right now. Pop is a better coach though. Even though he doesnt have the best winning percentage in the past few years, or do he? He's a good coach. He leads his team deep in the playoffs every year.

bogdanrom
08-11-2008, 06:30 PM
^^ dumb comment..how do you not coach players like Kobe and Shaq, MJ and Pippen? People forget that before Phil MJ didn't win anything. People forget that before Phil the Lakers were getting bounced out the playoffs and as soon as Phil began coaching them they began winning Championships. I think Avery is a good coach but not a great one. He basically inherited a team that's been a powerhouse before he came there. Only thing he did was make them play defense, something Don Nelson never did. He's still a young coach though. He needs to become more versatile with the type of players he has.(ex. using Jason Kidd to his strengths instead of making him a jump shooter) I think that will just take some experience for him and he'll be a great coach one day.

I'll prove you wrong. Before the this season. How far did the Lakers go into the playoffs. Or the year before that? Once Bynum became better, then Pasol got traded, then what happened? Ohh the Finals. And on the Bulls, they didn't before because both MJ and Pippen were young. Phil Jackson has always had the 'luck" of having really talented teams. But he is very good at handling troubled teams.

Spurred1
08-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Avery is a young coach who was handed a team that already was doing pretty well. He did introduce the concept of defense, but he made some very odd decisions too-changing the lineup for the series against the Warriors made no sense-why screw up a lineup that had been winning throughout the season?
I think Avery would be better with a very young team so he can mold them to his expectations. He's not a bad coach, but he didn't really use his players to the best of their abilities. He also needs to figure out how to just let the players play without constantly interfering in the game. He was calling out plays for Kidd, when Kidd should have been allowed to run the offense. Instead the same old crap...

Lakersfan2483
08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
The top coaches in the NBA are: Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, Larry Brown, Avery Johnson, Rick Carlisle, Byron Scott, Nate McMillan, Doc Rivers

Lakersfan2483
08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Avery is a good coach and should have gotten the Detroit Pistons job and or the New York knicks job. D'antoni is a good coach, just don't see him fitting in New York, Avery stresses defense and would be perfect in New York.

Lakersfan2483
08-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Rick Adelman is an underrated coach, his teams always do well.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I hate Mike Brown.

SC1211
08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Greg Popavich is probably at the top of my list, along with Phil Jackson, Rick Adelman, JVG, Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle

Kyle N.
08-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I'd say the top coach in Popovich. A close second would be Jerry Sloan. Why is nobody giving him any love?

Spurred1
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I'd say the top coach in Popovich. A close second would be Jerry Sloan. Why is nobody giving him any love?
Because people often seem to perceive Sloan as a coach who encourages his players to play rough and dirty.

GspLAL
08-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Avery is a good coach at best in my opinion, I called him getting fired this year if Mavs weren't successful.

GspLAL
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
I'll prove you wrong. Before the this season. How far did the Lakers go into the playoffs. Or the year before that? Once Bynum became better, then Pasol got traded, then what happened? Ohh the Finals. And on the Bulls, they didn't before because both MJ and Pippen were young. Phil Jackson has always had the 'luck" of having really talented teams. But he is very good at handling troubled teams.

You made me laugh with this comment, go look at the rosters Kobe had to deal with, basically bench players starting.

bogdanrom
08-12-2008, 12:38 AM
You made me laugh with this comment, go look at the rosters Kobe had to deal with, basically bench players starting.

No I know he had a horrible bench but that's when a good coach steps in. You're not a good coach if you have a good team with a good bench and they have a good record. A good coach takes a bunch scrubs and turns them into valuable player for the team.

ARMIN12NBA
08-12-2008, 01:36 AM

Every coach wins with talent. Red Auerbach literally had the All-Star Team. He has HOFers and All-Stars on the bench like John Havlicek.

Before Phil Jackson came to the Bulls, they had never got out of the second round. Phil Jackson came and installed the triangle offense, which was perfect for Jordan and Pippen to work together. They went on to win a few titles. Phil Jackson also helped install the Doberman defense. Also, when Michael Jordan (the "GOAT") left in ’94, Phil Jackson kept the Bulls running as they still won 55 games without His Airness and made it to Game 7 of the second round and would've gone to the Finals if it had not been for the terrible call in Game 6 by Hue Hollins (obviously this proves MJ did not make PJ).

Before Phil Jackson, the Lakers could never get to the Finals and lost in the WCF in back to back years. Phil Jackson came in and taught this Laker team how to work together. In their first year they went on to win 67 games and a championship. They would also go on to a three-peat.

Phil Jackson then left the Lakers in '05 and they could only muster up 35 wins. The very next year, they won 45 games with Kwame Brown (a huge bust who is considered one of the worst NBA players) instead of Caron Butler (an all-star player). Then he improved the team even more to get to 57 wins and a Finals berth.

I think you measure a coach’s success by how much he improved the team from the years previous to when he gets there. Phil Jackson obviously has improved every team once he got there.

Lakersfan2483
08-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Every coach wins with talent. Red Auerbach literally had the All-Star Team. He has HOFers and All-Stars on the bench like John Havlicek.

Before Phil Jackson came to the Bulls, they had never got out of the second round. Phil Jackson came and installed the triangle offense, which was perfect for Jordan and Pippen to work together. They went on to win a few titles. Phil Jackson also helped install the Doberman defense. Also, when Michael Jordan (the "GOAT") left in ’94, Phil Jackson kept the Bulls running as they still won 55 games without His Airness and made it to Game 7 of the second round and would've gone to the Finals if it had not been for the terrible call in Game 6 by Hue Hollins (obviously this proves MJ did not make PJ).

Before Phil Jackson, the Lakers could never get to the Finals and lost in the WCF in back to back years. Phil Jackson came in and taught this Laker team how to work together. In their first year they went on to win 67 games and a championship. They would also go on to a three-peat.

Phil Jackson then left the Lakers in '05 and they could only muster up 35 wins. The very next year, they won 45 games with Kwame Brown (a huge bust who is considered one of the worst NBA players) instead of Caron Butler (an all-star player). Then he improved the team even more to get to 57 wins and a Finals berth.

I think you measure a coach’s success by how much he improved the team from the years previous to when he gets there. Phil Jackson obviously has improved every team once he got there.

Well said, everything I would say about Phil Jackson, he's definitely the best coach in the NBA.

Lakersfan2483
08-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Pat Riley and Jerry Sloan are both excellent coaches, I left them off my list earlier. I also think Jeff Van Gundy is a good coach.

bogdanrom
08-12-2008, 09:55 AM

I'm not putting Phil down. He is definitely one of the best coaches today and maybe ever. But I think Brown is better. He took a team of basically no bodies except maybe Rasheed to the championship defeating who?, Phil Jackson' Lakers. One of the biggest upsets in the Finals ever.

vibe607
08-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm not putting Phil down. He is definitely one of the best coaches today and maybe ever. But I think Brown is better. He took a team of basically no bodies except maybe Rasheed to the championship defeating who?, Phil Jackson' Lakers. One of the biggest upsets in the Finals ever.

Correct me if im wrong because i definitely could be but didnt rick carlisle assemble that pistons team? I thought Brown only brought in Sheed and the rest was carlisle.

And its not like billups, rip, prince and ben wallace were scrubs.

Again i could be wrong. But im pretty sure ricky put that team together and was fired after taking them to the eastern conference finals.

RapsFan4Life
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Sam Michtell !!!

NYstateofMinD
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM

The one season Phil didn't coach the Lakers they missed the Playoffs. The West got even tougher the next few years and he got that same Lakers team to a 7th seed twice in a row.

Im sure that MJ and Pippen were young. The second season Phil came they won a championship and when he went to the Lakers it was the first season. How do you sound right now? And a team of nobodys? That Pistons team had Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Sheed, Big Ben, Okur...6 all-star type players..yea they didn't have no clear #1 but that isn't a team of nobodies.

bogdanrom
08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
The one season Phil didn't coach the Lakers they missed the Playoffs. The West got even tougher the next few years and he got that same Lakers team to a 7th seed twice in a row.

Im sure that MJ and Pippen were young. The second season Phil came they won a championship and when he went to the Lakers it was the first season. How do you sound right now? And a team of nobodys? That Pistons team had Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Sheed, Big Ben, Okur...6 all-star type players..yea they didn't have no clear #1 but that isn't a team of nobodies.

First of all I'm not saying Phil is a bad coach by any means, I'll take on the Wizards in a damn second. I just think Larry Brown is a little better. Before they won the championship they were nothing, except Sheed. They weren't horrible but they weren't All-Stars.