PDA

View Full Version : shawn marion

barreleffact
08-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Honestly, I see a lot of hate for Shawn Marion. People seem to think of him as this arrogant, pompous, ball hungry person that isn't any good. I just wonder how he could have this bad rep after everything he did while on the Suns.

As far as I know, his negatives consisted of wanting wanting the team to play defense and to be more involved on offense. That being said, Marion was the teams best defensive player and was always forced to do the dirty work and guard the best player night in on the floor except at center. Even then, he had to try to cover up for Amare's inability to play D. which drifts into my sencond part.

Offense is often a reward for defense. How can you blame him for wanting more shots when he averaged 20 and 11 as a bail out shooter and a put back guy. He had no plays run for him even though he can jump out the gym and shoot the lights out. Imagine if he had been an option at all and was looked for even 7 times a game. his number could have been 25-30 per. Can any star in the league not be critisized for wanting offensive looks? Averaging 20 and 11 while having no plays run for him and playing the toughest D on the team, can you blame him for wanting more? And can someone explain to me, why people seem to hate him, yet show no understanding to how his team limited his potential

dick butane
08-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Good thread. Shaun has been a top five player in the NBA. He would like someone to recognize it. The man came in underrated and ruled the triple double land playing out of position. I want him on my Clippers. I want him to get a shot at the promised land. He put in the work and his career averages don't even begin to show the player he is. The suns won with him on the court and faltered without him.

LakerzDQ
08-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Marion doesn't have the offensive talent to become a superstar or a primary scorer. He's good in a team that has many good offensive players, because he doesn't need the ball much.

but there's always been alot of hate for any player that displayed arrogance or cockiness.

if he accepted his role as a 3rd string player, he'd be a very good player.

dodie53
08-11-2008, 06:58 AM
he always feels that he isunder appreciated

bogdanrom
08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Good thread. Shaun has been a top five player in the NBA. He would like someone to recognize it. The man came in underrated and ruled the triple double land playing out of position. I want him on my Clippers. I want him to get a shot at the promised land. He put in the work and his career averages don't even begin to show the player he is. The suns won with him on the court and faltered without him.

Doubt it. Kobe, Leborn, Wade, Carmelo, Duncan, CP3, Stev Nash, Amare, KG, PP etc. But he has a been a very good player. He can give you both defense and some offense. Personally I think he is underated, and a lot of people attrbibute his success to Steve Nash, but he was doing good before that too. He's getting old, but still very productive. He is top 5 fantasy wise though I think.

MassoDio
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Honestly, I see a lot of hate for Shawn Marion. People seem to think of him as this arrogant, pompous, ball hungry person that isn't any good. I just wonder how he could have this bad rep after everything he did while on the Suns.

As far as I know, his negatives consisted of wanting wanting the team to play defense and to be more involved on offense. That being said, Marion was the teams best defensive player and was always forced to do the dirty work and guard the best player night in on the floor except at center. Even then, he had to try to cover up for Amare's inability to play D. which drifts into my sencond part.

Offense is often a reward for defense. How can you blame him for wanting more shots when he averaged 20 and 11 as a bail out shooter and a put back guy. He had no plays run for him even though he can jump out the gym and shoot the lights out. Imagine if he had been an option at all and was looked for even 7 times a game. his number could have been 25-30 per. Can any star in the league not be critisized for wanting offensive looks? Averaging 20 and 11 while having no plays run for him and playing the toughest D on the team, can you blame him for wanting more? And can someone explain to me, why people seem to hate him, yet show no understanding to how his team limited his potential

The two bolded areas are what you are wrong about on Shawn. Shawn is a fantastic player. But he has this complex, where he thinks he is under appreciated no matter how much, or how he is being used. Shawn was the highest paid player on the Suns team. He was paid more than Nash and Amare. Yet he still thinks that the ownership is disrespecting him because they don't want to give him a four year extension worth 20 mil per season. And yes, that is what he asked the Suns management to pay him, and the reason over the summer that he ASKED to be traded. The Suns didn't want to trade him. He asked to be. Even as much grief as he had given management about not being respected for the three years he was the highest paid player on the team while also getting the most, or second most shots on the team all three years, they still didn't want to trade him. They were willing to put up with his malcontent, complaing to the media antics, because they appreciated what he brought to the table. But because they wouldn't agree to give him a four year contract at 20 mil a season, he wanted out. He is a player who is good soley based on his heart and athleticism. Once he loses his hops, his heart won't allow him to do what he does.

And his offensive abilities you have vastly over rated. His shot is the ugliest thing since Chris Dudley's free throws. And yes, the Suns ran set plays for him all the time. That pick and roll to the alley oop, is a set play that they ran. That wasn't done on the fly. Shawn got over half his points on that play in most games. Most out of bounds plays were run for Shawn. D'Antoni used to run out of bounds alley oop, or out of bounds, Shawn runs to the basket and get's the ball dropped right to him on the block plays all the time.

Shawn Marion is really nothing more than the ultimate hustle player. There probably has never been a better hustle player in the league. And he has made 17 mil a year to be that for a few years. Now that his athleticism is going to be on the down slope, the Suns were right to not want to pay him more than that.

NYstateofMinD
08-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Shawn has always been one of my favorite players because of his defense. On top of that he has a good jumpshot and is a quick and athletic jumper. Run some backdoor cuts for him and it's easy money. Someone said it right before though..he should have accepted being the 3rd best player. They could've been contenders like they have for the past few years.

DrHoops21
08-11-2008, 02:55 PM

dude...come on. come on dude.... dude.... come..on... top five player in the NBA?? if shawn marion was ever in the top 5, id fart in my own mouth, swallow it, then fart it back out again into a jar.. seal it tight.. and mail it to you so you could smell my ***.

Jay22Redd
08-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I like his game.

DrHoops21
08-11-2008, 03:44 PM
then you must like fat chicks too. with hair on their chests

knicks1214
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Shawn Marion can be the 2nd option on some teams...however to the person who said he has been a triple double machine, do you mind to shed some light and tell us when he had his last triple-double?

mariotubes
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM

amares one of the best defensive centers in the game

#24 Lakerland
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
dude...come on. come on dude.... dude.... come..on... top five player in the NBA?? if shawn marion was ever in the top 5, id fart in my own mouth, swallow it, then fart it back out again into a jar.. seal it tight.. and mail it to you so you could smell my ***.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

L@ker4Life
08-11-2008, 04:32 PM

I want some of what you're smoking.....Amare is horrible on defense....not because he doesnt have the talent its because he doesn't have the heart or the drive. Or maybe its because his coach didnt care abou defense but either way he has been a horrible defender for years.

HiphopRelated
08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
cocaine is a helluva drug

HOZ THE KNICK
08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
he is a great #2 guy or#3 guy depending on what team he plays for i will take him in a heartbeat.

DrHoops21
08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
come on guys amare isnt that bad on D. i think he turns it up when he needs to. it could be a lot worse.... try watching Mark Blount start for you team at Center. lol watch him try to play defense. amare will look like a god

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I like Shawn. But he's definitely not a capable number two guy. He can't create for himself and he is a streaky shooter at best. I love what he can do on defense, his rebounding, hustle and obvious love for the game. But he is lacking in the offensive department. I see Beasley being our number 2 guy sooner rather than later.

pwest6
08-11-2008, 05:52 PM

You do that.

Rome
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Us suns fans were blessed to have him on our squad for the past 8 seasons, he's been one of the most underrated players for a few seasons. Has the size, athleticism, good defender. Offensive game is good just need to know how to use him. Put him on a ****** team with a decent point and he'd have 25 a night, 10+ boards and 2 steals 3 assists 2 blocks. Top 5 fantasy players for sure.

MiamiHeat
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I dont think of him like that, but i do think hes overpay for him being a 3rd option scorer, wade 1st beasley 2nd, but he will become a part of the most exciting trio in the NBA next year Beasley Marion Wade:up:
BMW!!

Hawkeye15
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM

when was Shawn a top 5 player????? He wasn't/isn't even the best player on his team. Please. He is an athletic freak, and won't age well. His best days are behind him, with Nash dishing him open dunks.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

I hope you are kidding. Amare is probably the worst defender of all the elite big men. And if he didn't have Nash handing him cupcake dunks all night, he wouldn't even sniff the all star game.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2008, 07:32 PM
come on guys amare isnt that bad on D. i think he turns it up when he needs to. it could be a lot worse.... try watching Mark Blount start for you team at Center. lol watch him try to play defense. amare will look like a god

Amare is a great offensive talent, especially with a pick and roll point like Nash, but he is widely considered the worst defensive elite big man. Nobody expects Blount to guard anyone, and he may be a better defender than Amare sadly enough. With those athletic gifts, Amare should be a KG type player. But he is too busy whining for respect to guard anyone

JordansBulls
08-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Marion is a good player. He is a good defender and he can get you between 18-20 and 8-10 a game. That is good enough for a 2nd option player.

JIDsanity
08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I'd love to have him.

*Superman*
08-11-2008, 08:05 PM

If this is what you call a top 5 player I guess your right. He has a real high Bball IQ too...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbDADzklyI

MiamiHeat
08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
If this is what you call a top 5 player I guess your right. He has a real high Bball IQ too...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbDADzklyI

i saw this, look at that crazy athletic freak
stopped right in the middle of the air:D:cool:

*Superman*
08-11-2008, 08:24 PM
i saw this, look at that crazy athletic freak
stopped right in the middle of the air:D:cool:

Yeah, i like that video, it always cracks me up.

Rome
08-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Haha I've seen that video before. Hilarious. But look at the jersey's dude was young lol.

#1Mavericksfan
08-11-2008, 10:20 PM
If Shawn Marion doesn't have a PG like Steve Nash, Chris Paul and Jason Kidd to get him the ball then he's not that effective, If the Heat had a PG that could get Marion the ball more than Marion could have showed his true value.

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Marion averaged 16 and 10 in 14 games w/ the Heat. His career averages are 18 and 10. What does that have to do w/ our PG? He only fell off by 2 points w/o a point guard of Paul's caliber.

ashyboy21
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
shawn marion is a beast, plain and simple
he had a good couple of years in phoenix, but he never got the credit he deserved
since amare and nash went to phoenix they all forgot bout shawn
now he got traded for the dud shaq, and now he is gonna have a great couple of season in miami
he will get alot of credit with the heat along wade and beasley, now pat riley needs to get a good pg and center then they will be aight

JIDsanity
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't understand why Miami didn't trade him and grab a true PG or SF, or a C.

#1Mavericksfan
08-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Marion averaged 16 and 10 in 14 games w/ the Heat. His career averages are 18 and 10. What does that have to do w/ our PG? He only fell off by 2 points w/o a point guard of Paul's caliber.

Ok but he only got thoes type of numbers by playing with Steve Nash.

SwaggaIke
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Ok but he only got thoes type of numbers by playing with Steve Nash.

Ok but he averaged the same amount of rebounds minus 2 points by playing w/ Jason Williams. Your point has no validity whatsoever. I can see if he suffered a considerable drop off in production, but he didn't.

rhino17
08-12-2008, 10:36 AM

What?

Marion is not even a top 35 player let alone tp 5

RapsFan4Life
08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
shawn marion is not top 10 or even top 20 in the nba .. maybe top 25 ... but he bring energy and defense to a team, a player with athletisim and toughness with great rebounding and running the floor will not be a super star BUT an amazing roll player, and that is just what he is one of the best secondary men in the nba ... and if you put the right star DW and another good role player .. beasly .. a team can be a real contender ... shawn marion is under rated because he is good but some people on this thread this he is amazing, and that he is not ... but give the kid credit he is a good nba player and has solid seasons to come ... i like shawns game

TheBatchelor213
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
he fits with Miami, they are legit this season

DrHoops21
08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
he fits with Miami, they are legit this season

i like your style

Rome
08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
^ He fits in well with them now, Sick trio of Wade Beasley and the Matrix. Who's gonna run the point now though? Chalmers?