PDA

View Full Version : Nene's potential

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 12:46 AM
If Nene comes back healthy, what kind of season do you think he can have?

I think 17/11 is entirely possible.

Here are some stats from 2007:

Nene's averages for Feb, Mar, Apr 2007
fgM fgA fgPct ftM ftA ftPct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
5.51 8.92 61.4 3.51 5.1 62.52 2.62 5.23 7.85 1.49 2.03 1.08 0.87 3.54 14.54

Nene's playoff averages against the Spurs in 2007
fgM fgA fgPct ftM ftA ftPct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
6.2 10.6 58.5 2.8 3.6 77.8 4.4 3.4 7.8 2.4 2.6 0.6 0.6 4.2 15.2

He was averaging nearly 8 rebounds a game while competing with Camby on the glass. I think +3 is realistically within reach for him.

And as far as scoring goes, not only should he be a more important focal point in our offense now that we have a such a dearth of bigs, he should also be getting a share of Camby's 4.5 fga's per game in 2006-07. So again, +3 on his previous average seems quite possible to me.

Of course, all of this assumes good health and conditioning, which is the real question we don't have an answer to yet. But just for the sake of argument, if he is healthy and in good shape, where do you think his averages will finish out at the end of the season?

C-Dub
08-11-2008, 10:19 PM
i think he'll be better than he was, he dont have camby there to hold him back, and him and kmart are gonna be beasts together

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
One thing that really worries me is what has been, up to this point, Karl's reluctance to play Hunter.

I'd rather see Nene start off playing like 15-20 minutes and gradually work his way up to more along the same lines that K-Mart did, even if it costs us some wins. But the thing is, K started (voluntarily) exceeding his minutes caps pretty soon after the season started, and I hope they don't hope/expect the same for Nene. Nene's not the total freak of nature that K-Mart is. As we learned (the hard way) last summer, he's very susceptible to injury when he's not in top conditioning, and when he exceeds his limits.

If we want any hope at all of postseason success, we'll need a healthy Nene in April.

If he does maintain good health - and improving health and conditioning - over the course of the season, though, I think this could be a truly breakout year for him.

C-Dub
08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
If he does maintain good health - and improving health and conditioning - over the course of the season, though, I think this could be a truly breakout year for him.

and hunter too, if we are lucky enough to see sufficient minutes from both of them. and yes, kmart is one heck of a freak of nature, i love him, haha. he just needs a better looking shot, but ya know, if we had a passing PG, he could just dunk all over ppl again, lol

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
and hunter too, if we are lucky enough to see sufficient minutes from both of them. and yes, kmart is one heck of a freak of nature, i love him, haha. he just needs a better looking shot, but ya know, if we had a passing PG, he could just dunk all over ppl again, lol

Not only that, but having a teammate beside him who's actually a threat in the post who will keep defenses honest (Nene) should open up more dunk chances for him, too.

Nugget Tony
08-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I am going into this season with the mindset to actually expect nothing out of Nene...and whatever we do get will be icing on the cake for me.

I can't even expect the guy to play 1 game.....so if I think like that I wont be dissapointed when the inevitable injury happens.....

I know that sounds bad.....but its the only way I can get my head around Nene.

IversonIsKrazy
08-12-2008, 01:42 AM
i mean he wont get as many bpg as we need, but camby had horrible 1-on-1 defence, nene is great. i wouldnt nessecarly say 17/11, i would say 15/10 is a bit more resonable. but its in that range 4sure. as long as he stays HEALTHY.

BRAVE KID
08-12-2008, 03:26 AM
16/11 is what I am expecting. One thing is for sure if the nugs want any chance of beating elite teams they need to have Nene fully healthy and in shape. when healthy and fit, nene is a monster on both sides..when smart, K-mart is as well. None of these guys can block as well or maybe rebound as well as Camby but they bring a **** load better man to man and they are no jokes at rebounding. As long as they are healthy, in shape (in Nene's case) and play smart then we shouldn't have too much of a problem.

DenButsu
08-12-2008, 03:57 AM
One thing is for sure if the nugs want any chance of beating elite teams they need to have Nene fully healthy and in shape.

Another thing that's for sure that I just kind of flashed back to right now:

Karl has to actually run some damn plays for Nene.

I can remember being so frustrated in the 2006-07 season when Nene was totally being underutilized and there was a lot of the Nuggets' usual sloppy ball movement, passing it around kind of aimlessly, but far too little pick and roll action designed to get Nene easy looks in the post, far too few set plays with proper cuts and good movement in the wings designed to get the ball inside. The real number of shots Nene took wouldn't even have had to increase all that much. Just the fact that he was a scoring threat there in the post would have meant getting the ball in his hands there more would open up more opportunities for outlet passes to the perimeter and easy dishes to cutters.

TheAnswer037108
08-12-2008, 05:04 AM
To answer briefly...Dwight Howard-lite. Ive seen some NASTY dunks by Nene. Theres this one that he had over Boris Diaw that was ridiculous. But I think he can be up there with the Amares and Howards of the NBA. Its a shame that some players have bad luck when it comes to health. Hope he can be back in close to full form! Him and Kenyon can be incredible.

AI
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Most people seem to forget when the Nuggets played the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs two years ago. Nene completely harrased Duncan on the defensive end. Nene is a big body, and is an extremely talented one on one defender. When he is healthy, in shape, he can be a threat on both sides of the court.

Only thing that we'd have to agree on is that if our team is healthy, we are as good as any other team in the West but we have a weakness. Our starting PG would be a backup on any other team. We have a trade exception we can use to get a PG. Hinrich is available at around $10 mil but are we willing to use it to get him? If we do, watch out.

avsman05
08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I really like that everyone is saying they are out of the playoff race honestly this may be a better team IF Nene stays healthy. Better offensively and we have a better one on one defender we just need people to pick up cambys rebs and blks nene birdman and balkman will do well at that