PDA

View Full Version : Gary Sheffield open to contender trade

JWalk126
08-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/08/10/he_feels_like_a_caged_tiger/)

Gary Sheffield is healthy enough to help a team in the pennant race; problem is, the Detroit Tigers, the team he plays for, isn't in one. Such is the frustration surrounding the latter part of Sheffield's career. After about a year of dealing with a bad shoulder - the surgery, the rehab, the reduced performance - he has reached the point where he is a platoon DH and part-time outfielder, not what he had in mind for the final two years of his career. Sheffield, 39, still puts fear into pitchers. His numbers don't show it, but lately the thump has begun to reemerge. Would he waive his no-trade provision to join a contending team? Most likely. He lives in Tampa Bay, and wouldn't that be ideal? "The only reason I play is to win," said Sheffield. "I've won one championship, and before it's over I'd like to get another ring. I don't rule out anything." At this time of the year, players have to clear waivers to be traded. It would appear that Sheffield, given that he has about $5 million remaining on his $14 million salary this year and is due $14 million next season, would clear or has cleared waivers. It would then take a team willing to pick up his salary - or for the Tigers to eat some of the money, as the Red Sox did with Manny Ramirez.

bballguy869
08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I laughed out loud when I read this article. Poor Sheffield not with a contender? Lmao. I don't know who the hell would actually want him, but if someone is willing I say we trade him for a bag of balls and call it even.

Bondomania
08-11-2008, 12:39 AM
haha, i totally agree... Sheff has been popping off in the media lately.. he is acting like he is relevant in baseball these days.. One day complaining about the strike zone on the tigers website, and blaming that for his poor batting avg. I think he also still views himself as an outfielder, because he says he wants to be a vocal leader.. get rid of this guy, or better yet, clear him through waivers, and have him in the same room, and let him actually see how many teams call for his services.. maybe one or two.. but he isn't going to fetch much at all.. how about this trade..

Det:
- Gary Sheffield

Random team:
- Bag of balls
- Top bat boy prospect

Zoomlander
08-11-2008, 12:40 AM
I like how Sheff complains about the strike zone............everyone has the same zone sheff.............thats just terrible..........washed up.......i just hope he hits #500 this year so he will retire.

scottie
08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Stop jumping to conclusions . I don't believe this article is saying what it appears. I think these quotes were made at diffent times. I've heard this article is not what it leads us to believe. I might be wrong, but this article leads me to believe Shef sat down or was interviewd by this guy and those are his statements yesterday or today or something. That article is fishy.

MSK55
08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I would love to see Sheff go. I think it's funny that he's complaining about not being in a pennant race, while he's a major contributor to that. Guess what, Gary? The Tigers don't like that you're hitting .225, either, so consider it even. Throw him out for whatever we can get (dumping the salary would be just fine and dandy), put Joyce in left and have Thames play DH. Perfect.

IndiansFan337
08-11-2008, 09:37 AM
No contender needs a fulltime DH. And at that salary, and with his lack of production this season there simply isn't going to be a taker out there at this time for Sheff.

stanpapi
08-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I just don't see a team investing $19-million or so in a DH hitting .220-something. I someone wants him and is willing to take over as much as half his salary, give him away. I just don't think we will be that fortunate. All that aside, a guy hitting what he's hitting would be well advised to shut the hell up.

smarkow
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I think its funny that he feels like a "caged Tiger" b/c he's being platooned. Dude, if you don't want to be platooned, start hitting! At this point, you're hitting .222/10HR/33RBIs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? and you're complaining about being platooned????? He is so oblivious. If we could make ANY trade for this guy, i'd be open to it. No way im covering his entire 14M next season, but i'd cover $4 jsut to get him off this team. OH, did i mention he has 61 strikeout in 275 ABs this year. Come on. thats like 22% of his ab's he's striking out!

JackB
08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Sheff when he is on is a dangerous as anybody can be. I just think his heart isn't in it anymore. Hes made his money.And still is making it. I don't feel bad for anybody that signs their name on the dotted line . Nobody twisted his arm. If I remember right he only agreed to go to Detroit if he got an extention. He got what he wanted. This is a business. You want out? Too bad. We don't want you here either. You aren't worth anything to us not hitting. Hit the ball for a solid three last weeks of the season and maybe we can get you to a contender willing togive us something back. Its a two way street.

theoldgoalie
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
He doesn't want to be married to us, we don't need him....show me the dotted line and I will sign for ya DD! This is what I am talking about. Why do we need to go after a bunch of players that have no history with this club, or don't want to be a part of creating it?! Pudge came in here and wanted to help be a part of this history, and he helped make it, as did Mags, as did Carlos and as is Cabrera! Shef, I have two words for you.....good luck! let him go, get our bag of balls and maybe a a bag of seeds and move on.

stanpapi
08-11-2008, 03:28 PM
The guy's hitting .220-something, and he is unhappy about his new role as basically a platoon? He doesn't merit regular play at all at this very point in time. I mean, if I was in this position, after hearing some of this from Inge and now Sheff, I would pay someone just to keep my feet on the ground.

Anyway, when he first came to Detroit, he was close to awesome, and I never use that word. But since he's been hurt, he's been awful, and that's a drag. Freak thing, but it just appears as if he's been hurt too many times in the same place. Fair enough, it happens. But for him to piss and moan about playing time... Send him home, tell him to report to camp ready to earn a job, and be done with him for the year. I don't mind a guy to yap off every now and then. Helps keep the bad guys honest, but this is the wrong time for him to be yapping off. Like, he's on the fringes now. Doesn't he know that? My god, how can he not know that he is literally on the fringes? That it could be over for him at any moment now? Wow.

bballguy869
08-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Who would have ever thought that future hall Gary Sheffield would be our next Juan Gonzalez type flop?
Just give me the bag of balls at this point, a bat boy prospect is icing on the cake!

mark1125
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I want to be the starting goalie for the Redwings and be married to Jessica Alba, but guess what.........not happening.

As multiple people have said, .220 hitting DH's with one shoulder and a huge contract need to shut their mouths. If we could give him away for a mediocre A ball pitcher, we would jump on it. I was all for Sheff when we traded for him, but he is done and to expect a trade to a contender?!?! Gary.....we aren't contenders because of underachieving and you are on the top of that list.

bigredballer414
08-12-2008, 12:51 AM
if hes not happy good leave it would be a great trade if the other team takes his salary. I think the rays would take him because crawford and longoria is hurt, so they might take a chance with him

smarkow
08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
If anyone is willing to take his salary we should go for it.

Tragedy
08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
No contender needs a fulltime DH. And at that salary, and with his lack of production this season there simply isn't going to be a taker out there at this time for Sheff.
Exactly.

I think if put on waivers, a team might take him, make him a part time player, and might give the Tigers a crappy PTBNL, but that's about it.

I think most would agree that Sheffield's career is probably just about up.