PDA

View Full Version : Report: Grant's injury to hamstring only minor

hughest4
08-10-2008, 10:02 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- First running back Ryan Grant held out. Now he's held up, this time by a nagging hamstring injury that's costing him valuable practice time.

In the midst of the Brett Favre saga, the Packers' biggest on-the-field problem was probably Grant, the featured back who missed a week of training camp before agreeing to a four-year contract potentially worth $30 million.

Now the prized-but-pricey player has been on the sidelines for two straight days with a hamstring injury that coach Mike McCarthy characterized as slight. Grant's availability for Monday night's exhibition opener against the Cincinnati Bengals remains in doubt.

"If he can go, I would like to see him go," McCarthy said.

Grant stayed in Green Bay throughout the team's offseason workout program, meetings and practices even though he didn't participate in them. He hasn't said much about his latest setback.

He appeared Saturday for a moment in the locker room with the media and said he'd come right back. He never returned, opting to go in for treatment on his ailing muscle instead.

Grant, acquired for a sixth-round pick before last season from the New York Giants, climbed the depth chart to the starter's role in the second half of the season and made the most of it by running for 956 yards and eight touchdowns.

He added 201 yards and three more scores in a playoff victory against Seattle in the snow, but Grant could be slipping from his role just as quickly.

"He needs to practice, obviously with the time he has missed with his contract and now with his injury," McCarthy said. "He definitely needs reps."

Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn, Noah Herron and undrafted rookie Kregg Lumpkin have been getting more practice time with Grant's departure.

Grant's absence highlights another problem that developed during Favre's jet-setting departure to New York -- the Packers are being hit hard by minor injuries. A total of 16 players missed at least one practice the last two days and defensive tackle Daniel Muir got kicked in the shin toward the end of Saturday's session.

"Every decision will really be based on the health, because I would like to see them all play," McCarthy said. "It's important for us to get some momentum, to get out there and play some live football. You don't want to be going through the preseason and feel like you have work that needs to be done in Games 3 and 4."

Injuries have made for some interesting combinations along the offensive and defensive lines with starters on both sides missing. Center Scott Wells has missed a week with a strained muscle, with Jason Spitz taking his place. But McCarthy is more concerned with the defensive line that is missing starting defensive tackles Ryan Pickett (hamstring) and Justin Harrell (back), along with defensive ends Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) and Jeremy Thompson (stinger) and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (hip flexor).

"We're definitely going to have a problem there," McCarthy said of the defensive injuries. "I don't consider any of them major. We're just running into our fatigue injuries which most teams run into at this point."

Other starters that missed practice with injuries were cornerback Al Harris (back) and wide receiver Greg Jennings (knee).

"It's feeling like a back, it's cool," Harris said. "If they need me, I'm here."

Notes
QB Aaron Rodgers declined to say why he fired his agent, Mike Sullivan, earlier in the week. "It's kind of a personal matter, and I'm going to keep that personal," he said. ... Others missing practice included LB Desmond Bishop (Achilles' tendon), S Charlie Peprah (hamstring), G Junius Coston (back) and T Orrin Thompson (ankle).
-ESPN

It sucks that Grant is having this type of injury because he really needs to be out there on the field. However, with a hamstring you never want to rush back because those types of injuries are lingering.

On a side note, i wonder why Rodgers fired his agent???

socalpkrbkr
08-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah I saw this too. :(I don't think its going to be a big deal if he doesn't play in this game vs the Bengals. It's best to just give it some extra rest and make sure he's ready for the opener. I would rather none of the projected starters play. Maybe someday the NFL will get rid of these fake games. I was listening to a interview with Rodgers and he didn't want to say why he **** canned his agent. He said something like he referred to keep it personal as it was personal business.

wwfd1220
08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
rodgers is now a starter and is going to be looking for an extension. he will probably hire that ******* rosenhaus. as for grant, this is definitely a major setback for the team. look at it how you want, but a hamstring injury tends to stay all year long. and with his holdout, grant is not in football shape yet. fans it is going to be a long season. get your heavy alcoholic drinks ready(the few on here that are old enough). i am not optimistic about this season at all.

Brunner
08-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't sell all hope for the season just yet. Let's see how Grant recovers. However, the running game is going to be pivotal this year, and if Grant can't get healthy, and someone like Jackson doesn't step up, I can see us missing the playoffs easily.

ryanph30
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Hammy injuries are never good for a RB, I was pretty concerned when I saw that he hurt his hammy, I hope this isn't a nagging injury throughout the year.

socalpkrbkr
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
rodgers is now a starter and is going to be looking for an extension. he will probably hire that ******* rosenhaus. as for grant, this is definitely a major setback for the team. look at it how you want, but a hamstring injury tends to stay all year long. and with his holdout, grant is not in football shape yet. fans it is going to be a long season. get your heavy alcoholic drinks ready(the few on here that are old enough). i am not optimistic about this season at all.

Settle down man. Everything is going to be OK. Grant is going to be fine it's just being safe by possibly keeping him out of some meaningless game. Why are you not optimistic about this season? We got that 13-3 record last year as a team. Our team is good with our D being the strength.

socalpkrbkr
08-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Grant is listed as probable for tomorrows game vs the Bengals.

Brunner
08-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Good to hear. I want to see him in action live.

ryanph30
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Me too, I didn't think he was going to play. I really want to see him get some time tonight.

hughest4
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I'd honestly rather not have him play at all tonight. Even though he is probable that most likely means that the hammy isn't 100%. I'd rather have him rest it up a little more so he is healthy for the real games. Hamstring injuries can linger throughout the season and i'd rather it not be the case with Grant

SDteacher
08-11-2008, 07:25 PM
yeah he's now listed as not playing. I think this is a good move. We already know what he can do, why see him run the ball. The reason why he hurt his hammy wasn't becasue he missed the first few days of training camp, he'd been at all the OTA's and was working out just as hard as the next guy. I willing to bet that this is very slight/minor but even so, if this is the guy who you think is going to be your "stud" you don't want to risk anything. This is a good move not letting him play. He'll be fine and I bet he plays next week.