PDA

View Full Version : NBA Considering a European Division?

phlp_bj
08-10-2008, 08:24 AM
What started off as intent to raise interest in basketball and develop a deeper pool of players to enter the league has turned into a threat. The cute mogwai became a menacing gremlin. Now there are reports of European teams preparing to throw impossible-to-turn-down money at NBA stars, leaving Stern with two realistic choices:

He can get rid of the salary cap and allow NBA teams to try to beat 'em. Or make good on the long-discussed thoughts of expanding to Europe and join 'em.

One NBA source said on Friday the possibility of a European division is "becoming increasingly realistic," given the opening of NBA-caliber arenas in London and Berlin, with buildings in Rome and Madrid still to come. But that wouldn't account for the richest teams, which are based in Greece and Moscow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=eurodraw-080809

LakerzDQ
08-10-2008, 08:38 AM
that's hard. players have to cross the atlantic to play on their ground. not to mention, the european teams have to cross the atlantic every other game, with like 12 hour flights from Moscow to LA.

conceptual23
08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
this cannot be a serious consideration. Id understand a few preseason games, maybe even an All-Star game or a couple reg season games but that it.

LakersKB24
08-10-2008, 08:55 AM
This would be nonsense!
It's NORTH AMERICAN Basketball Association. And think it's hard for the players already. One night they have to play in LA, the other night, they're in NYC or Miami.
Stern has to find a different solution, I think this is the worst one!

greek miami hea
08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
that would be amazing.olympiacos vs dallas.yeah!

Frrrrank!!!
08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Not a fan of this at all, I would mess with the salary cap b4 I set up a European Division. I mean cmon now....really?...the NBA in europe. For me its NBA in north america or bust.

PhillyLuver
08-10-2008, 10:57 AM
NBA in Europe? No way.

Think about it. One home game in LA and then flying all the way to Greece and back? That's madness

JWalk126
08-10-2008, 11:05 AM
This would be nonsense!
It's NORTH AMERICAN Basketball Association. And think it's hard for the players already. One night they have to play in LA, the other night, they're in NYC or Miami.

actually, its the NATIONAL Basketball Association and yet.... there was a NATIONAL Football League europe

by the way, I posted an article about this last summer to anyone who remembers

tonyd3b54
08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
how about we just make europe our d league...i think thats fair... europe gets a taste of nba players and our dleaguers face a better brand of basketball...

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Bad idea, they would be traveling SO much it wouldn't be worth it.

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 12:06 PM
both are very unrealistic for awhile.

1. i see no stars leaving. lmk when its a problem.
2. you cant having intercontinental games fitted in the nba schedule.
3. owners would have a fit if you got rid of the cap. they would have to pay players more. it would also take away any parity that exists.

blujaysrock
08-10-2008, 12:08 PM
This would be nonsense!

National Basketball Association

valade16
08-10-2008, 12:20 PM
so what are your proposed plans for stopping european teams from taking all the NBA talent? Will you be as against a european division when the All-Star game is missing Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, and Kobe Bryant?

The fact is those European teams don't have salary caps so they can literally offer the moon to NBA players, and the more that go the more will be likely to go.

The best possible solution the NBA could hope for is raising substantially the salary cap and trying to include the top teams of Europe into the NBA as the European division...

MiamiHeat
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Dont do it!

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
so what are your proposed plans for stopping european teams from taking all the NBA talent? Will you be as against a european division when the All-Star game is missing Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, and Kobe Bryant?

The fact is those European teams don't have salary caps so they can literally offer the moon to NBA players, and the more that go the more will be likely to go.

The best possible solution the NBA could hope for is raising substantially the salary cap and trying to include the top teams of Europe into the NBA as the European division...
except the allstar game isnt missing kobe, lebron, and dwade....
they dont have that kind of salaries over there.
the questions about if they would leave were completely hypothetical.
50mill? are you kidding?

even if a guy or two leaves, it wont become any kind of trend.
they cant realistically operate like that.

euro division is a ridiculous idea.
the travel and time changes would be outlandish and terrible.

if your getting rid of the cap(which is also an idea that they wont need to do), there is no need to make teams overseas included in the league.

Cavs_Fan24
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
too much traveling. this wouldn't work unless the season was extended and that wont happen.
nice idea, but probably wouldn't be the best thing for the NBA.

Jay22Redd
08-10-2008, 12:36 PM
David Stern is going to have to make something up because it seems like Europe is trying to take over.

njnets
08-10-2008, 12:36 PM
how about we just make europe our d league...i think thats fair... europe gets a taste of nba players and our dleaguers face a better brand of basketball...

totally agree. football did ok with it but they lost too much money. but basketball is way more popular and it would work. nice idea.

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 12:37 PM
David Stern is going to have to make something up because it seems like Europe is trying to take over.

yeah they are taking over:rolleyes:
josh childress?
oh no:speechless:

BTownTeamsRKing
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
like i said, david stern sucks.

he started this mess, now he has to fix it.

this isnt the first time i have seen this idea. i saw an article on this a few years ago and right there i knew stern is a moron.

u guys are forgetting the biggest reason why this would suck. actually 2.

1. the times of games would rediculous for fans to watch.
2. THE REFS will be awful. its already terrible as it is, now u wanna get international refs who all call the game differently involved.

stupid stupid stupid idea. can imagine the first few years of of those Euro teams vs, NBA teams????

it will be complete *** kicking until those teams can begin to build decent teams to match up.

Nets fan 93
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I hope they dont....:mad:
actually... its not like half our players arent there though... :pity:

valade16
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
except the allstar game isnt missing kobe, lebron, and dwade....
they dont have that kind of salaries over there.
the questions about if they would leave were completely hypothetical.
50mill? are you kidding?

even if a guy or two leaves, it wont become any kind of trend.
they cant realistically operate like that.

euro division is a ridiculous idea.
the travel and time changes would be outlandish and terrible.

if your getting rid of the cap(which is also an idea that they wont need to do), there is no need to make teams overseas included in the league.

They don't have that kind of salaries over there?! LOL, do you actually know anything about those clubs or did this incite come from your rear end?

The club owners over there are billionaires, yes, mulit-billionaires. And no, there is no salary cap, none. That means they could offer a player a 1 year 500 million dollar contract if they wanted, because the only thing that could stop them is the money they have...

Now, look at Soccer, specifically at how much payroll goes into soccer. Know why? Because they earn it all back...

Now what do you think the chances are of a European basketball team with LeBron James NOT MAKING A PROFIT?

If you answered anything besides none your are an idiot...

And FYI (because you obvious aren't schooled in the current events of this topic, there is a Euroleague club that is considering offering LeBron James (yes the guy you said will never go over there) a 2 year $100 million dollar contract.

Look it up...

Jibonnie125
08-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Im sure they'd make the travel easier on teams, like a team would go on a long road trip and play most of the Euro teams and then have a few games off when they get back to the states, and Euro teams would go on long road trips and long home stands as well. Like i highly doubt a team playing in LA one day and the next day flying out to Europe to play. The NBA would have to make it work.

CubsBullsfan28
08-10-2008, 02:16 PM
the only way i see this working is if they work it like baseball does with interleague play with the national and american league. play only a couple of games against each other, then the rest they play in their countries

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
They don't have that kind of salaries over there?! LOL, do you actually know anything about those clubs or did this incite come from your rear end?

The club owners over there are billionaires, yes, mulit-billionaires. And no, there is no salary cap, none. That means they could offer a player a 1 year 500 million dollar contract if they wanted, because the only thing that could stop them is the money they have...

Now, look at Soccer, specifically at how much payroll goes into soccer. Know why? Because they earn it all back...

Now what do you think the chances are of a European basketball team with LeBron James NOT MAKING A PROFIT?

If you answered anything besides none your are an idiot...

And FYI (because you obvious aren't schooled in the current events of this topic, there is a Euroleague club that is considering offering LeBron James (yes the guy you said will never go over there) a 2 year $100 million dollar contract.

Look it up...

YES. i DO know about the clubs and salaries over there.
nothing even vaguely close to 50M a year for one player.

yes they CAN give them whatever, but it is dumb financially, and probably wont happen.
especially for more than a guy or two.

oh ive heard the rumors.
plenty of that garbage going around.
its SPECULATION.

like i said, maybe a guy or two, maybe.
but all the stars arent going to be leaving.

Nugget Tony
08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
This is like Sacreligious.....Hell even Canadian teams to me sucked.....I would completelly just dump the salary cap......

Bosh=nextKG
08-10-2008, 02:35 PM
This is the dumbest idea i've ever heard. Adding a European division to the NBA. That is such a bad idea. The traveling issue and why change the NBA? It's great as it is. We don't need anymore teams I mean come on we got a team in Oklahoma, when that happens you know that we don't need anymore teams. And they are just doing this so they don't lose lebron and kobe to europe, so if those fools wanna go over there for a couple years and make 50 miil/year with terrible competition for them then so be it. I hope they have fun competing for whatever championship they have over there.

TmacBryant
08-10-2008, 02:43 PM
i think it is a good idea... many europeans love to watch basketball but many unfortunately are unable to watch it because of time differences and such.

but it will be extremely hard to transition for everyone, so it will probably not happen. the time differences for fans on each coast will be bad. players goign to europe and back ( unless they make it so they only travel once cross atlantic). etc

Sixerlover
08-10-2008, 02:45 PM
yes they CAN give them whatever, but it is dumb financially, and probably wont happen.
especially for more than a guy or two.

Wrong. The merchandise sales, ticket prices, ads etc would more than double what they paid for that player. LeBron, Kobe, D-Wade are treated like legends over there already any of them playing for a team over there would skyrocket that team's revenue.

uptownfan
08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
that's hard. players have to cross the atlantic to play on their ground. not to mention, the european teams have to cross the atlantic every other game, with like 12 hour flights from Moscow to LA.

They would just have to have really long road trips.

Knowledge
08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
It could work, MLB AL vs NL style, maybe. Or you take NBA champs and put them vs Euro champs for world champion ship-7 game series?

Maybe just have NBA teams do a road trip to Europe and get those games out the way so they wont have to travel back and forth?

Maybe something that combines both Euro/NBA leagues to make something different?

I cant really say how i feel about this until i see what their plan would be. Most likely it wont be good, but you never know.

MiamiHeat
08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
i think we should just let them have a NBA in Europe with 30 teams
and then they have a finals and the one team that wins
plays the winner of the finals in the NBA in USA

and EUROPE VS USA

and then whoever wins, wins the championship

:up:

bogdanrom
08-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Why do some people say that these owner cannot afford paying players $50 million per year? That's ridiculous, you guys act like Europe is not rich, or like they don't have rich owners. Back to the question. I think it will be almost impossible to do, unless you take away the home and away type of games. Maybe a couple of Europeans teams could come here and play a couple of games and then some NBA teams will go to Europe and play some games, but how horrible it will be for some teams, to travel to LA, one day, then Moscow another, then to Dallas.
I kind of like MiamiHeat's idea too. They could play a seven game series. But I think the NBA team will dominate at least for a couple of years.

_Supreme_
08-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Actually I think that would be the worst possible solution.

Rich teams in large markets would be able to just buy the best players while small market teams who are barely operating within the current cap figure would probably not (be able to afford to) use the extra financial room they'd get.

The result would be unfair competition like the MLB basically has, except the impact on the NBA would be much bigger because of the difference in the makeup of a baseball team's roster and the character of baseball as a sport and it's players in general.

I don't need to see the same handfull of big market teams meeting each other in the Finals each year while the "poor" teams stay in the cellar (while the rich teams keep buying their top draft picks away after their rookie contracts are up).

Sixerlover
08-10-2008, 03:15 PM
^ It's actually not really that bad from an outsiders perspective. Some of the large salary teams in the MLB haven't won a title in years, while teams like the Marlins win every 4 years it seems. And in the NBA more teams would make the playoffs, because 8 from every conference make it, not 4. I wouldn't be upset if that happened.

Just would make the smaller salaried GM's work a little harder, teams like the Spurs, and the Pistons would still be competitive while in a smaller market.

_Supreme_
08-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Why do some people say that these owner cannot afford paying players $50 million per year? That's ridiculous, you guys act like Europe is not rich, or like they don't have rich owners.

Those people simply don't know very much about it.

Financially most of the NBA's owners wouldn't be able to compeat with Europe's top spending teams.

For example: (probably) the richest European club is Panathinaikos, which has, like many other joined soccer/basketball clubs, a joint board combining the Soccer and Basketball divisions.

Their revenue is about $1.2 BILLION each year, which they could spend on both the basketball and the soccer any way they'd want to. Now name me one NBA owner who has that kind of money to spend?

JIDsanity
08-10-2008, 03:17 PM
do not do any. No European division, and keep the salary cap. But if I had to I'd say make the European division

_Supreme_
08-10-2008, 03:34 PM
^ It's actually not really that bad from an outsiders perspective. Some of the large salary teams in the MLB haven't won a title in years, while teams like the Marlins win every 4 years it seems. And in the NBA more teams would make the playoffs, because 8 from every conference make it, not 4. I wouldn't be upset if that happened.

Just would make the smaller salaried GM's work a little harder, teams like the Spurs, and the Pistons would still be competitive while in a smaller market.

Yes that's partially true, and usually the counterargument to what I said, but the difference is the makeup of a baseball team and a basketball team, and the character of the sport.

A baseball team has a lot more players on it, so they have to fill a lot more starting player spots on their roster, and talent can be replaced easier. If you pay 5 guys $20M each in the NBA you have your championship contender. If you pay 5 guys $20M in MLB you don't even have half of your starters covered. There is a big difference there.

The flow of young talent into the league is also much stronger than it is with basketball. Baseball players are (at least Imo) much more subject to being "on and off" throughout the years than basketball players. I'm not sure how to explain it the best way. It's just that in baseball teams have a bigger chance to get good results with a low budget than a basketball team would have, and players are much easier to replace.

In the NBA the rich teams would have to do much less work to maintain their rosters. If some guy breaks his leg they can just take out the checkbook and plunder a poor team's roster in the offseason while that team has to scramble for a sufficient replacement. That's an unfair level of competition Imo.

JWalk126
08-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I dont understand how a 2 pm game is a "ridiculous" time to watch a game

MiamiHeat
08-10-2008, 03:45 PM

idk we are just use to watching NBA games at 7-9pm around those times

JWalk126
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
idk we are just use to watching NBA games at 7-9pm around those times

if the games are on a weekend though, its no problem right?

*Superman*
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
This would be nonsense!

LMAO! You should fix that...fast,but yeah i agree with many of you that it wouldn't happen,to much traveling, money being spent, and their are more risks like that too.

TmacBryant
08-10-2008, 04:53 PM
the problem is .... many of us are at school or work at around 2pm... thats why we like the games that are 5:30-8 or so.

USA vs Europe would fix our playoff system so it would be the top 16 teams in the U.S..... but euro will get crushed like crazy , finals wont be exciting tbh.

That would suck though if a player got traded to europe and he didnt want to go lol. Most people dont mind getting traded around the U.S. but europe is basically relocating to crapville for some players, especially if they already have a family here.

bogdanrom
08-11-2008, 12:29 AM

Because I'll be at school. :mad: It's okat though I'm a senior in high school, I can skip. :p

Jay22Redd
08-11-2008, 12:42 AM
yeah they are taking over:rolleyes:
josh childress?
oh no:speechless:

Okay, what about LEBRON JAMES, KOBE BRYANT, DWAYNE WADE, and CARMELO ANTHONY???

SAVAGE CLAW
08-11-2008, 12:45 AM
About trouble traveling....
Do you know that euroleague teams are constantly moving from here to there non stop?

Barcelona, Tuesday Plays in Athens 3 hours flight, Friday They Play Unicaja Malaga, 3 hour flight back home and then a 10 hour bus travel to Malaga, then 10 hours back to barcelona next tuesday they play against Cska , 5 hour Flight, and 5 hour back, then another 10 Hour coach to play against Valladolid but hey now we have to fly into Tel Aviv 6 more hours of Planes... etc etc etc etc.

They dont even have set travels to play a couple games away to nearby cities, they just come and go.

If they can Nbaers can too.

They are being paid more millions we will ever amount in our lives, so if they got to travel, then TRAVEL and shut up.

LakerzDQ
08-11-2008, 01:31 AM
About trouble traveling....
Do you know that euroleague teams are constantly moving from here to there non stop?

Barcelona, Tuesday Plays in Athens 3 hours flight, Friday They Play Unicaja Malaga, 3 hour flight back home and then a 10 hour bus travel to Malaga, then 10 hours back to barcelona next tuesday they play against Cska , 5 hour Flight, and 5 hour back, then another 10 Hour coach to play against Valladolid but hey now we have to fly into Tel Aviv 6 more hours of Planes... etc etc etc etc.

They dont even have set travels to play a couple games away to nearby cities, they just come and go.

If they can Nbaers can too.

They are being paid more millions we will ever amount in our lives, so if they got to travel, then TRAVEL and shut up.

hey, I don't want NBA players to slug around in a game because of jetlag and bulshit like that.

yiformvp
08-11-2008, 02:03 AM
hey they got to do something if are econmy keeps getting worst than nba Stars are gonna go to europe for the money i love the european division there is good basketball being played in europe

rico
08-11-2008, 03:44 AM
i dunno if that would work. too far away. can you imagine the jet lag for the players? geesh. not to mention time differences, it would screw the game up players being really tired from the different schedules + flying.

now if they wanted to like ship the top teams to the states or something and incorporate them that way, have them based in a certain city that would be fine.

dodgers07champs
08-11-2008, 04:01 AM
It'd be cool to see more teams in the NBA, as I love to see more competition..but I think it would be hard on the Americans. I have no idea how those teams would fair in the NBA..I really think they would stink to be honest, and you'd have guys being taken at the #1 pick by a European team who are unhappy as hell with the decision..i have mixed emotions about it.