PDA

View Full Version : Fenway on it's final 10 years?

DaaBoTownSox
08-10-2008, 06:03 AM
I believe all the money and all the upgrades ownership has put into the ball park is because they plan on having a big ceremony (including the all star game) at fenway to celebrate 100 years.

Then...

I think the park is done. I believe after 2012, there will be a new ball park.

Anyone agree?

Nickday
08-10-2008, 11:22 AM
it'll come. it's gotta come eventually. but i feel they'll keep playing there until they're in the last old part. once the cubbys move, the sox will begin their plans on a new park. the owners take too much pride in the history of fenway. they'll want it to be the last 'original' park played in

Towelie
08-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I want a new park as well. I'm sick of online waiting rooms we need more room. However I think the detentions and other things like the green monster and pesky's pole should stay. Just make tons more room to sit.

Osiagledknarf
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
If they decide to tear down Fenway, I'm chaining myself to one of the gateways.

Jeremy5150
08-10-2008, 03:45 PM
We won't see Fenway go down in our lifetime. Fenway really is a national monument, and should be protected as a cultural historic building. There is no other building that personifies baseball's heritage more than Fenway Park. No, not even Cooperstown.

What would be gained with a new park? Seating? Hardly...The replacement Fenway was only a 40K seater. More modern vendors and suites? Big deal! YOu have a LOT more to lose with a new park, than could ever be gained... Long Live Fenway!!!

ThreeIfBaerga
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM
We won't see Fenway go down in our lifetime. Fenway really is a national monument, and should be protected as a cultural historic building. There is no other building that personifies baseball's heritage more than Fenway Park. No, not even Cooperstown.

How about Yankee Stadium?

Neither park should be torn down. Ever. Nor should Wrigley.

kazzy4080
08-10-2008, 03:49 PM

they should do something cool with fenway when they build a new one, maybe make it into a boston sports museum or something

Osiagledknarf
08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
they should do something cool with fenway when they build a new one, maybe make it into a boston sports museum or something

They should just NOT build a new one.

Jeremy5150
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
How about Yankee Stadium?

Neither park should be torn down. Ever. Nor should Wrigley.

Yankee Stadium is great too, although it is not as old as Fenway or Wrigley. Yankee Stadium is a "dead man walking" right now though...its done.

Architects who have studied Fenway say there's no hurry to replace the stadium. It's doing fine. It does have quirks, like drainage, cramped clubhouses, and seating comfort (or lack thereof), but the structure itself is in no need of destruction, the steel is fine. - Just routine updating as with any park is all that needs to be done:)

bagwell368
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Fenway is going noplace. Boston land is insanely expensive, any parcel they go for would get jacked to the sky. The government and unions also have their hands out in ways that most cities outside of Providence cannot imagine.

The only other place you could try is the parcel the intersection of Rte 3 N and Rte 128 in Burlington, and it would require all underground parking. Then each minor league team could get notched up one. A 3A affiliate in Fenway would probably draw at least 15K a night, pretty good if you are banging out 40K in Burlington too.

But its a pipe dream. Boston folk are used to discomfort to support history it makes them feel like they are part of something important.

Tragedy
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
See, the only issue is, where do they put the new stadium? The other option they had back in the late 90's is now something else, and Boston isn't really known for having a lot of space.

DaaBoTownSox
08-11-2008, 02:12 AM
See, the only issue is, where do they put the new stadium? The other option they had back in the late 90's is now something else, and Boston isn't really known for having a lot of space.

Yeah, I have no clue where they would put the new ballpark.

But, I definitely think the day is coming when Fenway closes. And, yes, it will be in our lifetime.

I agree with what someone said earlier, in which Fenway really is a National Monument. Perhaps they don't tear it down, but just transform it. Who Knows.

Call me crazy, but I used to work with a guy who is now in the IS department at fenway, and he has said he heard rumors of this.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I love the current ballpark, but I think it's time for a new one.

Red Sox Nation is Enormous, and because of that, they could use a bigger park, if only slightly bigger to welcome more fans.

RedSoxtober
08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Fenway is going noplace. Boston land is insanely expensive, any parcel they go for would get jacked to the sky. The government and unions also have their hands out in ways that most cities outside of Providence cannot imagine.

The only other place you could try is the parcel the intersection of Rte 3 N and Rte 128 in Burlington, and it would require all underground parking. Then each minor league team could get notched up one. A 3A affiliate in Fenway would probably draw at least 15K a night, pretty good if you are banging out 40K in Burlington too.

But its a pipe dream. Boston folk are used to discomfort to support history it makes them feel like they are part of something important.

That whole area was debated a long time ago and it makes a lot of sense. I grew up (too damn long ago) in Reading and logistically that area makes the most sense of any part of the state IMO. 93/95-128/495/3 all run through or very close by. New England's team could serve New England really well there. But it won't happen.

BTW, we just closed this exact same thread a few weeks ago. This one won't last long either.

DaaBoTownSox
08-12-2008, 02:12 AM
That whole area was debated a long time ago and it makes a lot of sense. I grew up (too damn long ago) in Reading and logistically that area makes the most sense of any part of the state IMO. 93/95-128/495/3 all run through or very close by. New England's team could serve New England really well there. But it won't happen.

BTW, we just closed this exact same thread a few weeks ago. This one won't last long either.

New here, So sorry for the double thread.