PDA

View Full Version : Mears To RCR Looks Likely

Driven
08-10-2008, 12:41 AM
UPDATE: with Truex now re-signed with DEI to stay there for another year, it looks like Casey Mears is the front runner to be RCR's 4th driver BUT am hearing that Mears could end up in the #07 Jack Daniel's's Chevy with Clint Bowyer moving over to the 4th team, sponsored by General Mills/Cheerios, supposedly using the #33. The teams could switch owners points so Bowyer is not out of the top-35 in owners points and Mears would have to qualify the #07 for the first five races of 2009

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#mears

MarkieMark48
08-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Dario Franchitti has also stated he and Richard Childress are friends, and he will def. speak to him about the ride....I'm praying Mears doesnt end up in that 33 car

nascar10294
08-10-2008, 08:01 AM
DArio? If Richard Childress digns him, I think it would be one of the dumbest moves he could do. Dario is a highly over rated driver. This year, he already took a car below the top 35 mark, so how could he get the car into it, imo. I think his contract isn't up with Ganassi though.

Also, Ken Scharder said he could be running a few races for RCR.

Schrader may be back with BAM and/or RCR: Don't expect to see Ken Schrader in a Sprint Cup race anytime soon. But when it happens, he will drive for Beth Ann Morgenthau [#49 Toyota] and perhaps Richard Childress [#33 Chevy]. "The BAM team swears they're coming back," Schrader said. "Childress said I might run a couple of races. I don't give a (care). Whatever happens. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do. It isn't any problem."

http://jayski.com/teams/49.htm
I think this wouldn't be a certain thing. He'll only come in if the new driver isn't running well or having problems, but I don't know why RCR would do this.

MarkieMark48
08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
ill agree, dario stinks in a cup car, but on jayski.com it says he will talk to RCR about the ride

Driven
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
UPDATE: Barring a major snag Richard Childress Racing will introduce Casey Mears as its fourth driver next weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Saturday. Team owner Richard Childress declined to comment, saying only that he hoped to name a driver soon. Mears said on Friday at Michigan International Speedway that he has signed nothing and continues to talk to more than one organization. But sources said RCR already has made tentative plans for a press conference next Saturday. To be finalized are details of a deal that would put Mears in the Jack Daniels-sponsored #07 currently being driven by Clint Bowyer, who would move to the # 33 that will be sponsored by General Mills. The switch would be made because General Mills reportedly isn't comfortable with Mears because of his association with rival sponsor Kellogg's at HMS. RCR then would petition NASCAR to move the 07 points to the #33 so Bowyer would be guaranteed a spot in the first five races next season.

Jayski

No surprise there.

nascar10294
08-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I hope he turns his career around. He was driving really well at the end of his tenure with Ganassi, then didn't race as well as we thought he would.

nascar10294
08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Its officail, Mears to the 07 JAck Daniels Chevy and Clint Bowyer to the 33 General Mills Chevy.

Richard Childress Racing announced today that Casey Mears will drive for its #07 Jack Daniel's team and Clint Bowyer will move to its new #33 Cheerios/Hamburger Helper team for the 2009 Sprint Cup Series season. With focus on having all three current RCR teams making the 2008 Chase for the Championship, RCR will continue its on-going process of evaluating team performance throughout the year to determine the crew chief, engineer and crew member lineups for the 2009 season.
"We're always looking for ways to improve RCR and feel strongly that this driver lineup will improve our company as a whole with our move to four teams next year," said Richard Childress, president and CEO of RCR. "These changes will continue to raise the bar and we have every intention of getting all four teams into the Chase in 2009 with the ultimate goal of one of our teams winning the championship. RCR is very fortunate to have partners like Jack Daniel's, Shell-Pennzoil and AT&T, in addition to new sponsors Cheerios, Hamburger Helper and Caterpillar, that work with us and support our making the competition decisions necessary to provide them with the best on-track performance possible."
Mears will join RCR for his seventh season of Sprint Cup Series competition. The Bakersfield, Calif., native earned a dramatic victory in the 2007 Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway and also has three poles to his credit. "This is a great opportunity and I'm honored to become part of both the Jack Daniel's family and the RCR family," said Mears. "Richard Childress and everyone at Jack Daniel's have put a lot of faith in me to continue the winning tradition that's been established by the #07 Jack Daniel's team over the last couple of years and I look forward to the chance to live up to those expectations." Jack Daniel's has been a primary sponsor partner of RCR since its first year of involvement in NASCAR in 2005. The Jack Daniel's Distillery, located in Lynchburg, Tenn., is the oldest registered distillery in the United States and is on the National Register of Historic Places. "We thank our friend Clint Bowyer for all of his efforts to bring Jack Daniel's and our responsibility message to the forefront. We remain committed to Clint and are excited to watch him race his way in to the Chase in the #07 and vie for a 2008 Championship," said Tim Rutledge, VP, Brand Director, Jack Daniel's Americas. "We look forward to providing our support to Casey Mears, the Jack Daniel's Racing team, and our responsibility message in 2009. Casey is a seasoned veteran that is primed for great success in the #07 in 2009."
Bowyer, the current leader in the NASCAR Nationwide Series point standings, made his Cup Series debut in 2005 and has been with RCR since 2004 when he ran a partial Nationwide Series schedule. The Emporia, Kan., native has earned two victories and two poles since being named the full-time driver of the #07 Jack Daniel's Chevrolet for the 2006 season. "I'm proud to be joining the General Mills family," said Bowyer. "Cheerios and Hamburger Helper are brands my family and I grew up with. General Mills is a great sponsor and has been in NASCAR for many years. I look forward to driving the Cheerios/Hamburger Helper Chevrolet Impala SS to victory lane.At the same time, I have to thank Jack Daniel's for taking a chance on a rookie Cup Series driver and giving my career a great platform to build on. My focus now is to get into the Chase and again compete for the championship."
The 2009 season will mark General Mills' 13th year of sponsorship involvement in NASCAR. Based in Minneapolis, Minn., General Mills is one of the world's leading food companies. "We are thrilled to welcome Clint as our new driver," said Pat Simmons, Vice President of Customer Marketing for General Mills. "Clint is a top-tier competitor. His performance on and off the track fit with the family-friendly values that Cheerios and Hamburger Helper are known for. We're excited to build a winning partnership with RCR and Clint Bowyer."(RCR PR)(8-23-2008)

From Jayski

Rochesta
08-26-2008, 12:24 AM
How long was the deal for?

nascar10294
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I believe it will go through the 2011 season.