PDA

View Full Version : "This has a greater significance than anything I've ever been part of" - Kobe

ink
08-09-2008, 09:56 PM
"This has a greater significance than anything I've ever been part of," he said at the U.S. Olympic basketball team's practice Saturday, his voice strangely familiar.

Oh, yeah. This was the Kobe Bryant from a dozen years ago, before he disappeared under the drama.

He's grateful. He's humble. He's awed. After a difficult June featuring a lost NBA championship and an embarrassing Shaquille O'Neal rap video, he's that kid again.

Entering today's nutty Olympic opener against host China -- "It will be the highest-energy game I've ever been part of," he said -- Bryant has decided there's something bigger than Lakerland.

It's, you know, our land.

And to Lakers fans who are angry when he said bringing home a gold medal is bigger than winning an NBA championship, well, he has a message.

"So what?" he said. "If they don't understand this, they don't know what they're talking about. It's simple. You're playing for your country!"

I agree with him, and if you were here, you might agree with him too.

Source: LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olyplaschke10-2008aug10,0,2900971.column)

Do you think he means it, or is he just saying the right thing?

LAcowBOMBER
08-10-2008, 05:55 AM
I think he means it because it seems like he's going out of his way to say this stuff. It's not like hes being pushed into these situations.

cahawk
08-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Those years of sitting in the hotel rooms instead of going out with the other Laker players, he spent watching MJ video.
Not just playing but how he dressed, spoke & acted.
On how to become a celebrity & commercial spokesperson.

He learned well to say what the public wants to hear.

steelcityroller
08-11-2008, 03:59 AM
Its so signifcant that he is talking about playing in Europe instead of the NBA....