PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Leftwich

NYMetros
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
According to Profootballtalk.com, the Steelers will sign both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper.

The two will compete for the backup spot throughout the remainder of the preseason. Leftwich may be the better fit as a pure backup with concerns that Culpepper would have to swallow quite a bit of pride to carry a clipboard.

rotoworld

NYMetros
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I didn't think the Steelers would sign both of them. It makes sense though. Get both of them into camp and let them batle it out, see which one fits in best with the offense. I have a feeling Culpepper will win the backup job.

jmiller26
08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I wonder how much money they signed for because culpepper turned down a $1 million offer from the packers

Soop
08-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Good signings guys, you got two experienced veteran back ups.

hyp21
08-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Charlie Batch....looks like you're about to get your walking papers. I think Culpepper will win the backup competition. I believe he's just better than Leftwich plus Byron just doesn't stay healthy

SenecaValley46
08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
LORD BYRON. thank god. Byron is a great qb i'm really happy about this.

NYMetros
08-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Charlie Batch....looks like you're about to get your walking papers. I think Culpepper will win the backup competition. I believe he's just better than Leftwich plus Byron just doesn't stay healthy

Yeah, I think Batch may be leaving now too. That's what happens when you don't slide and avoid the big hit.

Steelersbud420
08-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Batch is a great back up and does a lot for the city of pittsburgh. Hopefully he'll decide to retire instead of bouncing from team to team.

hyp21
08-10-2008, 12:12 PM
^I doubt he will. Honestly I'd like for him to retire but there are a lot of oppourtunities out there for QB's so he may explore one

Soop
08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Updating a previous item, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette indicates that free agent Daunte Culpepper will not be signed by the Steelers.

The Sporting News reported Saturday that Culpepper had already agreed to a deal, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Culpepper did pass his physical, but the Post-Gazette says the Steelers chose Byron Leftwich over him.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CubbieSteve
08-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Well I guess I should have read this thread first. According to the post above, it looks like it's Leftwich.

Solid signing, gives us flexibility and is a better option than Batch anyway.

Roto says that he's dropped 25 pounds which puts him at 6'5, 225 a good size. He was getting a little chubby, maybe this will get him back to his old self and maybe add some mobility. And he's 28, good signing.

conceptual23
08-11-2008, 08:06 AM
i didnt know that both qbs were signed. Espn reports that only Leftwich and a punter were signed.

Steelers sign quarterback Leftwich, punter Berger to deals
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 10, 2008, 8:10 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Steelers filled two injury-created needs Sunday by reaching agreements with quarterback Byron Leftwich and punter Mitch Berger.

Leftwich
Leftwich, 28, signed a one-year, $605,000 deal to join the Steelers. Because he signed for a minimum exception contract, the deal will only count $445,000 on the Steelers salary cap. Leftwich was chosen over Daunte Culpepper, who also visited the Steelers Sunday.

The need for a backup quarterback was created when backup Charlie Batch suffered a broken right collarbone Friday night against the Philadelphia Eagles. Batch is expected to be sidelined four-to-six weeks.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Leftwich, who has started 46 career games for Jacksonville and Atlanta, may not be released when Batch returns.

"We're just going to let the play talk," Tomlin said. "You know how we do it. We're going to evaluate what we see based on performance."

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Leftwich was released by Atlanta in February and has played in just nine games the past two seasons because of ankle injuries. A first-round pick of Jacksonville in 2003, he saw action in 15 games that season, making 13 starts. He missed two games in 2004 and five in 2005 with injuries.

A serious ankle injury in 2006 limited him to just six games, opening the door for backup David Garrard to get a 10-game audition and win the starting job. Leftwich was released at the end of training camp last year and signed with Atlanta.

Berger agreed to a one-year, $830,000 contract. Punter Daniel Sepulveda suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season. The Steelers claimed Paul Ernster on waivers from Detroit last week. Berger's deal will only count $445,000 against the Steelers salary cap.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

phinsfan
08-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I think that Daunte Culpepper will win the back-up job. But I wouldn't count Leftwich out neither,for he might not mind being a back-up. Where Daunte may not like the Idea of it.

sep11ie
08-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Batch is a great back up and does a lot for the city of pittsburgh. Hopefully he'll decide to retire instead of bouncing from team to team.

He broke his collarbone and done for the season. Thats why we were getting a new back up.

TheRedMarauder
08-11-2008, 12:10 PM
He broke his collarbone and done for the season. Thats why we were getting a new back up.

Batch is not done for the season, most likely out for 4-6 weeks.

TheRedMarauder
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
The Steelers chose Byron Leftwich over Daunte Culpepper in part because Culpepper wants a chance to compete for a starting job.

Then why did he fly to LaTrobe to try out for the Steelers? If Culpepper believed he was going to be competing for Ben Roethlisberger's job, then his grip on reality is even more tenuous than we thought. Until he comes to grips with the past few seasons of his career and accepts a backup job, he's going to be out of work.

rotoworld

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
I think Leftwich, is a nice fit. He can do some things that can give us some moments in spots to offset Ben when he needs rest.

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I knew Culpepper would try to compete for the starting job. That's why I never wanted him in the first place. I just read a nice article on Byron and he's already accepted his role and he says he's willing to do whatever he can to help the team. He was the right guy.

TheRedMarauder
08-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Byron Leftwich's one-year contract with the Steelers is worth $645,000. Leftwich received only $40,000 to sign.

Because they didn't commit much to Leftwich, Pittsburgh could still cut him later if Charlie Batch (collarbone) recovers quickly. That seems unlikely, though, and Leftwich will likely open the year second on the depth chart.

rotoworld

hyp21
08-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Which could again spell the end for C.B. What would be the point of just lounging around if Ben and Lefty are the 1 and 2 on the chart come time he's healthy again and possibly into '09?

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Leftwich will be cut or take a back seat when Batch comes back. That's part of the reason Culpepper didn't sign. He didn't want to be warming a seat for Batch when he recovers and ending up the 3rd QB.

CubbieSteve
08-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Leftwich will be cut or take a back seat when Batch comes back. That's part of the reason Culpepper didn't sign. He didn't want to be warming a seat for Batch when he recovers and ending up the 3rd QB.

Leftwich is probably a better option than Batch. Batch is like 34, nearing the end of the road, Byron is 28 and still has a few years in the tank.

rwarz8
08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
There's no way Batch is better than Byron. Both get injured - true. Take age alone into consideration and you've got a case for Byron; more importantly take skill into consideration and Batch is an afterthought. As much as I'd rather have Batch holding the clip board and using his intelligence to help Ben decipher a defense, there's no way I wouldn't take Byron over Batch should Ben go down. He looks like a worse version of Pennington when he's in there throwing nothing but 5 yard routes.

SwaggaIke
08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
I never once said Batch was better than Byron. But Byron won't be a Steeler come week 5 of this season. And i'm willing to bet the farm on it.

hyp21
08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
^I dunno man. Lefty isn't a great QB or nothing, but I certainly feel like he's better than Batch. And with the dirt cheap price tag we got him for, I really don't see much of a reason to keep Batch hanging around when he's not getting any younger. Lefty has a few more years in the tank and he can contribute imo a bit better than C.B. if Ben goes down (lord forbid).

m2j3
08-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Solid signing. He's going to be a good backup if Big Ben gets hurt or has to rest for a quarter or two during the season. I think he'll have a good season as the main backup to Roethlisberger.

CubbieSteve
08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I never once said Batch was better than Byron. But Byron won't be a Steeler come week 5 of this season. And i'm willing to bet the farm on it.

I seriously doubt this. Batch is 34 and on the decline, not exactly the best backup QB out there.

Leftwich is 28, still has some potential and is a perfect backup QB. I like Charlie, but the fact of the matter is that he's just not as good as Leftwich. If Ben were to go down, I'd much rather have Byron under center.

jmiller26
08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
They will keep both batch and leftwich, since they have to pay both of them this year. They will then try to put dixon on the practice squad and keep three qb's for this year. After this year, i don't see leftwich as our backup because he will want to compete for a starting job somewhere.

hyp21
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Never know. He may just have accepted being a backup from here on out. Personally, I think he's good enough of a QB that he should start somewhere. Just two years ago he was considered a hell of a QB in Jacksonville. He and Culpepper. But his confidence needs rebuildng after how he fared in Atlanta. So, maybe a year in Pittsburgh may make him more starter ready...if not, I won't be sad to see him as a solid backup if Ben gets dinged up

SwaggaIke
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't know why any of you believe this 28 year old quaterback is signing on to be Ben Roethlisberger's back up for the long term. Byron is signing up to showcase his skills in a few preseason games to hopefully get a deal elsewhere when Batch returns. Possibly a starting job in place of an injured/underachieving starter.

TheRedMarauder
08-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Steelers beat reporter Ed Bouchette believes that Charlie Batch (broken collarbone) will end up on injured reserve.

It hasn't even been a week, but Byron Leftwich has shown signs of picking up the offense and could be a better No. 2 option behind Ben Roethlisberger anyway. Rookie Dennis Dixon should be safe as the team's third-string QB.

rotoworld

hyp21
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Good bye C.B. It's been real man. Gonna miss you.

Shieldsz
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah Charlie Batch is done, which is sad... good backup.

I find it ironic we get a better backup now, after our old backup is injuredl Byron will probably get starting time considering Ben is out normally a week or two in the season due to an injury... hopefully not. Byron won't have much time to think, since he's slow.. and offensie line is horrible. Great arm though. Pretty happy to see this signing.

GoCubbies65
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I know this is off topic guys but if Culpepper and Leftwich had such great workouts with us that we wanted either of them why aren't these guys signed on with the Dolphins or Bears?

I mean if leftwich really looked good the Bears should of signed him

CubbieSteve
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Lefty was 5-11 for 41 yards.

Ben was 9-11 for 142 with a TD and a pick.

Steelers lose 24-21.

hyp21
08-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Looks like Lefty is definitely getting hang of the offense. I like. I like.

CubbieSteve
08-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Byron looked like he was in very good shape last night. He had decent numbers. His first pass was completed to Washington for a nice gain. He just needs some more games under his belt to get used to his surroundings.

He's always had that rocket of an arm. It's still there, the knock on him though is his slow delivery. And it showed last night. A lot of times he gave away where he was going to throw. A pump fake here or there might do him well. But he'll be a nice backup. And it really helps that he lost that weight that was slowing him down. He's not going to be like Michael Vick or anything as far as speed goes, but he's definitly in good shape. That's a good sign.

NYMetros
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I wasn't able to see the game last night, but from the sounds of it he wasn't terrible. Hopefully we will see more improvement in the next game.