PDA

View Full Version : Wade To Consider Greece In 2010

phlp_bj
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM
First, Heat fans have had to wonder about Dwyane Wade's hometown Chicago Bulls luring him away in two years when his contract expires.

Now, Greece?

Here was the question that came from a Greek reporter: Would Wade think of playing in Greece if he received a deal like the rumored one revolving LeBron James for $50 million a year?

"Oh, yeah," he says.

Has anyone contacted him?

"No, no, no," he says. "I'm happy with the Heat. But we've been joking with LeBron about that. The numbers talk, no question about it."

It was eye-opening for Wade to see Atlanta Hawk Josh Childress sign recently with a Greek team for three years and $32.5 million. That suggested something in the game is tilting, some residue from the past couple of decades of building up the international game.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-flspolywade09sbaug09,0,4241888.story

innovator
08-09-2008, 08:49 AM
im loving it! david stern is getting screwed big time.... if thats happens and kobe and lebron going to europe too then the nba will not be the best basketball league anymore

phlp_bj
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
stern should make the european teams have cap limit also

arlubas
08-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey if Wade, Kobe, Bron or any other player of that caliber comes over here ever I think I'll camp outside the court and watch every game that will be played, lmao!

greek miami hea
08-09-2008, 09:01 AM
well,if wade is leaving the miami heat(which i dont want)i would welcome him in olympiakos!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaddyCool
08-09-2008, 09:09 AM
They don't have the cash. Not for a while anyways. They won't be able to afford that kind of money until at the very earliest, 2020.

greek miami hea
08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
They don't have the cash. Not for a while anyways. They won't be able to afford that kind of money until at the very earliest, 2020.

who?

PHILLYNIKES
08-09-2008, 09:26 AM
What are you nuts? they have that money to spend and to lure players over

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 09:44 AM
and if your mother had balls, she'd be your father.
not happening.(i hope, for your sake)

50M is over 6 times the current highest paid player, josh childress.

what wade, and kobe, and other guys said, is only hypothetical

arlubas
08-09-2008, 10:41 AM
and if your mother had balls, she'd be your father.
not happening.(i hope, for your sake)

You served me up great with that ingenious comment playboy...

bball1217
08-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I can not wait to see who actually takes the $50 million or who turns that amount down in 2010.

innovator
08-09-2008, 10:46 AM
david stern should take off the salary cap limit

nyKnicks126
08-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Thats got nothing to do with the NBA, Europe can do all they want they can't be controlled by some American NBA commissioner.

The NBA needs a slap in the face :)

MiamiHeat
08-09-2008, 11:40 AM
is all your fault david stern

Hellcrooner
08-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Finish the Salary cap , and finish the lousy Nba teams

let the ring be something onlhy Lakers in the west and Knicks, Bulls ,Sixers and Celtic in the east can win,.

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Finish the Salary cap , and finish the lousy Nba teams

let the ring be something onlhy Lakers in the west and Knicks, Bulls ,Sixers and Celtic in the east can win,.

or keep it how it is.
maximize profits.
not lose your job.
and keep fans of all teams interested.

JWalk126
08-09-2008, 10:44 PM

even IF he makes teams under FIBA have a salary cap (which is just about every team in the world), still one of the European competition leagues isnt under FIBA, so for that competition they wouldnt have a cap (dont remember if its the Euroleague or the EuroCup).

in other words, they'll just have a cap for the domestic leagues, but not in the European cup

Master P
08-09-2008, 11:02 PM
i would rather lose stars to europe than do away with the salary cap. first, despite losing some players to deep-european-pockets, the nba still throws enough money around and has enough commercial appeal to develop their stars and ensure a fan-base. the size of this fan-base is in many ways dependent on all the teams being competitive, another advantage of the cap.

then, say the cap were done away with, the majority of nba teams would not have to worry about losing their young talent to europe, but instead to the knicks, the lakers, the bulls, or any other team with deep pockets that season. and not only would they lose their young talent, that talent would return and beat their team. therefore, as a fan i would rather run the risk of losing a young player to another league than to know my team wont be competitive because anytime a player does start to shine it goes to the better team down the street....yeah....

id rather lose stars to europe than do away with the salary cap. i already dislike the luxury tax situation, there should be a limit that cannot be exceeded under any circumstance. the only thing that makes it moderatly acceptable that some teams ownership are willing to pay tax to win, is seeing other owners pay tax and suck (knicks anyone).

what the

Jay22Redd
08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Its funny, cause reading this, I wonder how Laker fans are going to react if Kobe actually goes away.

knicks1214
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
If players keep threatening to leave the NBA because they can be offered a higher salary elsewhere, Stern will be forced to get rid of the salary cap...which in turn will lead to all of the all stars coming to New York, such as LBJ, Amare, and Paul because all 3 of them love D'Antoni's offense. And players would want to come to NY because it has the biggest market in the world.

cmellofan15
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
If all the Superstars walk then we still have WNBA!!!

argo
08-09-2008, 11:53 PM

LOL what makes you think Stern has any say in that?

#1Mavericksfan
08-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Get rid of the salary cap!!!!

Kyle N.
08-10-2008, 12:16 AM
All these drastic moves will cripple the league. No superstars have even left yet. All Dwyane Wade said is that he likes a lot of money and that he jokes with LeBron. He didn't say he wanted to leave. There's players who would rather take less money in the NBA than play in a different country for more.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I think elevate the cap a 20%, elevate maximum Salary, eliminate restricted FA ( many players are really disgruntled that their team has the right to match when they are not comfortable in the city, like Charlie Bell), Eliminate 80% of the exceptions, No Bird Rights, no Mle no Bye etc etc Im raising the cap, use the money wisely.

Kyle N.
08-10-2008, 12:25 AM
or keep it how it is.
maximize profits.
not lose your job.
and keep fans of all teams interested.

Bingo.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-10-2008, 12:39 AM
"Keep fans of other teams interested".

Thats why Soccer is so popular.

In the Nba you either Win the ring or you lost the season.

So if a team sucks long enough no fans want to watch them.

Ok here in europe we have stronger links to our clubs, more passionate , one of the reasons is they dont "relocate" so even if you go down to second division like this year happened to Real Zaragoza fans still support you.

Anyway the point is that in soccer there are many more things to be interested about than just who wins the league.

You have at least one Cup Knock out competition, some countrys even have two of them like England with Fa Cup and League cup.

Then you have to count too that there is interest not only in who wins the league but about wich teams finish top 4 because they will go into the champions league and which finish top 7 because they will play uefa cup.

Then in the bottom you have fans interested in their teams to see if they are able to avoid relegation.

And of course in each division there is a lot of interest for the fans seeing if their team promotes to a superior league or is demoted to an inferior one.

Some teams have even done the incredible feature to go from 5th division to 1st division in 5 or 6 years.

Isnt that Interesting?

Oh of course Fiba basketball is organised the same way, for example my interest this year on my city team Cai Zaragoza is seeing if we are able to stay in the top division.

If i were Stern i would take a deep look into those concepts and maybe apply some to the Nba, like creating a second division with the chance to be promoted or relegated, and try to work out some international official competition similar to champions league where the top 4 Nba teams faced top 4 teams from other Countrys.

If he did that he could think to eliminate the cap.

*Superman*
08-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Wade, Kobe, LeBron and half the other stars could all be gone to Europe, Imagine if they were all on the same team....Would never happen but that would be sick.

What is Stern going to do?????

Westbrook36
08-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Wade, Kobe, LeBron and half the other stars could all be gone to Europe, Imagine if they were all on the same team....Would never happen but that would be sick.

What is Stern going to do?????

Say Hello to Kevin Durant Greg Oden Derrick Rose..Thats what hes going to do.

*Superman*
08-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Say Hello to Kevin Durant Greg Oden Derrick Rose..Thats what hes going to do.

Yeah they are good and are going to get better, but come on, lose Kobe, Wade and Bron? Thats too much of a loss.

Westbrook36
08-10-2008, 01:07 AM
im loving it! david stern is getting screwed big time.... if thats happens and kobe and lebron going to europe too then the nba will not be the best basketball league anymore

It hurts, but by that time Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Kevin Durat Are all stars. Also all the other young stars

Westbrook36
08-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah they are good and are going to get better, but come on, lose Kobe, Wade and Bron? Thats too much of a loss.

I doubt they get all three. Chris Paul will be like then sooner or later

*Superman*
08-10-2008, 01:12 AM
As long as they don't take Dwight, I'm fine.:D

Kyle N.
08-10-2008, 01:14 AM
"Keep fans of other teams interested".

Thats why Soccer is so popular.

In the Nba you either Win the ring or you lost the season.

So if a team sucks long enough no fans want to watch them.

Ok here in europe we have stronger links to our clubs, more passionate , one of the reasons is they dont "relocate" so even if you go down to second division like this year happened to Real Zaragoza fans still support you.

Anyway the point is that in soccer there are many more things to be interested about than just who wins the league.

You have at least one Cup Knock out competition, some countrys even have two of them like England with Fa Cup and League cup.

Then you have to count too that there is interest not only in who wins the league but about wich teams finish top 4 because they will go into the champions league and which finish top 7 because they will play uefa cup.

Then in the bottom you have fans interested in their teams to see if they are able to avoid relegation.

And of course in each division there is a lot of interest for the fans seeing if their team promotes to a superior league or is demoted to an inferior one.

Some teams have even done the incredible feature to go from 5th division to 1st division in 5 or 6 years.

Isnt that Interesting?

Oh of course Fiba basketball is organised the same way, for example my interest this year on my city team Cai Zaragoza is seeing if we are able to stay in the top division.

If i were Stern i would take a deep look into those concepts and maybe apply some to the Nba, like creating a second division with the chance to be promoted or relegated, and try to work out some international official competition similar to champions league where the top 4 Nba teams faced top 4 teams from other Countrys.

If he did that he could think to eliminate the cap.

I see where you're coming from, but I just don't agree. Unless the Kings organization goes on a muderous rampage, I'm going to watch them no matter how bad they are, and a lot of other people are like this. Just because the Sonics sucked didn't mean they didn't have fans. They got relocated because they couldn't get a new arena. The Sonics fans obviously were pushing for a new arena. You can't just say crappy teams have no fans and the arenas are empty every night because it's just not like that.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-10-2008, 01:16 AM
I know, i was just trying to make a point that even if Stern finally eliminates the cap there are ways to keep the fans interested.

I did this because a lot of people inmediately after someone says eliminate the cap says , smaller markets would dissapear!!! no one would pay attention to smaller teams!!! etc etc.

bogdanrom
08-10-2008, 01:22 AM

Stern is the commisioner of the NBA, not FIBA or whoever takes care of European basketball. He has no right or say in that.

bogdanrom
08-10-2008, 01:26 AM

What are you smoking? They don't have money? Since when? Not every team has these rich guys, but there are a couple of teams that can give a player $50 million per year. Plus the euro is so much stronger than the dollar and it doesn't look good for the dollar in the future too. This is the result of Stern and expanding basetball overseas, and rich billionaires.

Kyle N.
08-10-2008, 01:31 AM
I know, i was just trying to make a point that even if Stern finally eliminates the cap there are ways to keep the fans interested.

I did this because a lot of people inmediately after someone says eliminate the cap says , smaller markets would dissapear!!! no one would pay attention to smaller teams!!! etc etc.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I just don't like the idea. It's not your fault. It's all good.

LakerzDQ
08-10-2008, 01:34 AM
or maybe stern can just go to hell.

Ghouse
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Stern would be hurt so bad if Superstars & I mean Superstars starting leaving the NBA to play overseas.