PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Won't Sign an Extension with LA Yet

phlp_bj
08-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Kobe Bryant won’t sign a contract extension with the Los Angeles Lakers until he has tested the global market, the U.S. Olympic basketball star told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday.

Asked whether he plans to solicit overseas offers before signing an extension, Bryant flatly said yes.

It’s possible Bryant could leave the NBA for Europe – perhaps in a dual role of owner and player – as early as next summer. Bryant is signed with the Lakers through the 2010-11 season, but can opt out after next season.

Suddenly, the best player in the world seems determined to pair the changing global economics with his unparalleled popularity to create an international bidding war. A day earlier, Bryant told the Boston Globe that he would consider a $50 million offer to play in Europe.

“As players, the business of the game (is) evolving,” Bryant said before a Team USA practice at Beijing Normal University. “I think free agency now is becoming a global thing …. When players become free agents, the team they’re currently with – their competition is no longer the rest of the teams in the NBA. But it’s global. So, the market’s opened up. So we’ll just have to see how the league responds to it.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news;_ylt=Av9HWXKR9LfYg0YM.6drL7y8vLYF?slug=aw-kobeeuropenewser080908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

innovator
08-09-2008, 08:49 AM
i also already have posted this in the lakers forum

phlp_bj
08-09-2008, 08:55 AM
sucks forr the nba if stars leave

greek miami hea
08-09-2008, 09:02 AM
olympiakos can always be there for him to give him a legendary offer

DaddyCool
08-09-2008, 09:03 AM
God you guys are unbelievable. I've said this a million times. J-Chill is now the highest paid player in Europe. No way they can afford 50 mil per year when they can barely afford 8.33 a year.

superkegger
08-09-2008, 09:15 AM
What you failed to mention is the end of the article.

Even so, Bryant conceded that it would be “Almost impossible … very difficult …” to leave the Lakers, who are primed to make a run at multiple championships over the next several years.

These articles are all coming on pure speculation and on a fad of players going overseas. A lot can happen in a year. US economy turns around, dollar goes back up, the euro isn't as powerful; the nba could stirke a deal with euro leagues to help ensure this type of thing doesn't happen etc. It's just pure speculation at this point.

Reezy
08-09-2008, 09:30 AM
God you guys are unbelievable. I've said this a million times. J-Chill is now the highest paid player in Europe. No way they can afford 50 mil per year when they can barely afford 8.33 a year.
You do know teams like Olympiacos are owned by billionaires who could spend more money if they wanted to? Also, 50 million USD != 50 million Euro.

(!= means DOES NOT for those who are not computer smart)

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 09:39 AM
You do know teams like Olympiacos are owned by billionaires who could spend more money if they wanted to? Also, 50 million USD != 50 million Euro.

(!= means DOES NOT for those who are not computer smart)

billionaires? possibly.
idiots? no.

not paying a player that much more than anyone else, ever.

TheFuture6
08-09-2008, 09:58 AM
I would think the revenue a European team would make off a player of LeBron/Kobe's status would be well worth it to the owner. Every game would be sold out, jerseys would fly off the shelves, advertisers would be all over them. I don't know the numbers, but to me it would seem to be a good move for some team.

homestarunner93
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Who says they can barely afford to pay him that? Just because he's the highest paid player doesn't mean that, they just don't want to spend that kind of money on players who aren't worth it.

cahawk
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
One thing for sure, kobe has no loyalty to Laker's.
It's all about kobe, his image, his glorification.

orangebloodtex
08-09-2008, 10:32 AM
call me optomistic, but I don't think NBA stars are going anywhere. IMHO this is a power play by the league stars (kobe, lebron, etc...) to get the cap raised and make more money in the NBA.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
call me optomistic, but I don't think NBA stars are going anywhere. IMHO this is a power play by the league stars (kobe, lebron, etc...) to get the cap raised and make more money in the NBA.

Exactly. Almost every single player on the USA team is reading from the same script. They all are saying they would probably go if a team offered a huge amount of cash and they would be dumb not to. Kobe showed his hand a little too much when he said "lets see what the league does about this". To me it coincides with your point that players want the salary cap raised or abandoned.

kjsunsfan7
08-09-2008, 11:54 AM
First lebron, now kobe, I might as well play in the nba if all of the stars are going euro, It is their right to make money to provide for their family, but its greedy to take ridiculous amounts and jump ship to a european team which is a joke compared to the NBA. Yes they have won the past few olympic, but really think about it, those usa teams didn't have all of the stars on them, maybe 1 or two, but the others never went, otherwise we would have had gold every year, I think its a joke that they would leave the nba for a euro team. Why are these college kids even going for one year, why not go like that 1 guy this year and just save yourself time and just go to a euro team and stay there, I dont care who goes over there, but whoever does and tries to come back, I dont want them on my team(suns)

MiamiHeat
08-09-2008, 11:55 AM
He will go to Europe dominate there for a few years and try to come back to the NBA

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
He will go to Europe dominate there for a few years and try to come back to the NBA

lol, no he wont.
no team will offer 50 mil.

Reezy
08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
billionaires? possibly.
idiots? no.

not paying a player that much more than anyone else, ever.
As much as you'd like to think that'd be the case. Your statement is not necessarily true since it's not your money.

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 11:58 AM

:rolleyes:

all the players said the same thing.
and you only rip on kobe. way to hate.
if someone offers to give you a 25+mil payraise, you do it.
thats not being selfish, or unloyal. its about being smart, and common sense.

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
As much as you'd like to think that'd be the case. Your statement is not necessarily true since it's not your money.

well i can make a very educated guess, and say they wont offer him that much.
the basketball supply/demand overseas isnt as much as it is in the NBA. it would be horrible financially.
the HIGHEST PAID PLAYER in europe makes less than half of what kobe makes now. not even a FIFTH of what your suggesting he would get.

BALLER71
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
He'll go to Europe IMO.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Kobe, Wade and Lebron are going to go try to win in the JV. This is a sad day when one of those stars goes to play lessor opponents

Reezy
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
well i can make a very educated guess, and say they wont offer him that much.
the basketball supply/demand overseas isnt as much as it is in the NBA. it would be horrible financially.
the HIGHEST PAID PLAYER in europe makes less than half of what kobe makes now. not even a FIFTH of what your suggesting he would get.
You keep forgetting that Euro is worth more than the USD.

The current exchange rate is 1 EUR = 1.50476 USD.

It seems like a lot more money to us than it is to them because of that alone. Plus you are forgetting about how marketable a player like LeBron would be as opposed to Childress. There's way too much to gain there to just shrug it off and say with confidence that it's not going to happen when it's more likely than you think.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2008, 12:38 PM
He just wants to get another 7 years 140 millions contract.

Then ***** about the team not being competitive, COme on man!!!! you are eating half the cap on your own!!!!!.

Be a man , opt out, take Mle and alow lakers to have cap in 2010

rajaguy
08-09-2008, 12:40 PM
i'm a diehard Laker fan, and I think this is amazing!... globalizing the game will make things so much more exciting... it'll suck for the Lakers, but progression of the game and our experience of it should outweigh one's desire to maintain the status quo and repeatedly root for the same old ****... plus, i think part of what is happening here is that guys like Kobe and Lebron are also trying to pressure the NBA into lifting the salary cap... so it's a business move in that way as well... but even without a salary cap, I can't see any team in the NBA other than maybe the Knicks offering anyone 50 mil... maybe the Nets once they move, and maybe the Mavs could figure something out... but I can't see the Lakers doing it... especially considering how weak American currency is compared to the Euro.

rajaguy
08-09-2008, 12:47 PM
and anyone who thinks that there aren't European teams that could offer that kind of money to guys like Kobe and Lebron is mistaken... the currency gap seriously helps, as someone on this post has already mentioned, but even if it were 1-to-1, they could do it... as soon as someone like Kobe or Lebron is on board, the merchandising and marketing off them alone would be insane in Europe... not to mention, the other players on the team don't make nearly as much as what players in the US tend to make, so the overall payroll would not be too high... soccer stars in Europe get paid absurd amounts of money, because at the end of the day, it's all about how rich the owners are over there (since there's no salary cap), and adding to that the ridiculous global marketability of guys like Lebron and Kobe, there is no way that a team over there won't be making that kind of offer in the next two years... my guess is that Lebron would be the most sought after, and 2010 is just far away to allow some team to make it happen.

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
You keep forgetting that Euro is worth more than the USD.

The current exchange rate is 1 EUR = 1.50476 USD.

It seems like a lot more money to us than it is to them because of that alone. Plus you are forgetting about how marketable a player like LeBron would be as opposed to Childress. There's way too much to gain there to just shrug it off and say with confidence that it's not going to happen when it's more likely than you think.

i realize that.
im not forgetting.
josh childress' contract #'s are converted.
32M( 20M net pay!?) USD over 3 years. a little less than 7 mil a year that he actually gets.

kobe makes what 20mil? 1 season.

your suggesting a team in europe is actually going to sign a superstar for 50M? thats a ridiculously larger amount than ANY other euro player. we're not talking about maybe 5-10 mil more, no. we're talking about 40M+ more than the next highest paid guy. thats more than 5 times the next highest guys salary.

italy, kobe's "most likely" team he would want to go to is italy. they just made boykins the highest payed player in italy. 3.5 whopping million dollars.

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
and anyone who thinks that there aren't European teams that could offer that kind of money to guys like Kobe and Lebron is mistaken... the currency gap seriously helps, as someone on this post has already mentioned, but even if it were 1-to-1, they could do it... as soon as someone like Kobe or Lebron is on board, the merchandising and marketing off them alone would be insane in Europe... not to mention, the other players on the team don't make nearly as much as what players in the US tend to make, so the overall payroll would not be too high... soccer stars in Europe get paid absurd amounts of money, because at the end of the day, it's all about how rich the owners are over there (since there's no salary cap), and adding to that the ridiculous global marketability of guys like Lebron and Kobe, there is no way that a team over there won't be making that kind of offer in the next two years... my guess is that Lebron would be the most sought after, and 2010 is just far away to allow some team to make it happen.

no..
soccer players are paid alot b/c there is a huge demand for soccer over there.
basketball? not as much.

i guess i kind of agree w/ you.
i dont see many superstars realistically leaving anytime soon.

Vegasguy80
08-09-2008, 01:07 PM

He doesn't? He has played for the team through thick and thin. Where do you not see loyalty? Because you read into EVERYTHING the media says or what? He has potential to go elsewhere and didn't

cambovenzi
08-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Even so, Bryant conceded that it would be “Almost impossible … very difficult …” to leave the Lakers, who are primed to make a run at multiple championships over the next several years.

there you go...

Mallpha
08-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Well most of the top euro clubs could aford money like that especialy since $ value now is like half what it used to be, but even its not such a big cash any more footy is still nr 1 sport in Europe so i rather see that money going to some footy player than Kobe or LeBron wish it was difrent:(

CowboysKB24
08-09-2008, 02:13 PM
The NBA will be changed completely if our college stars and NBA stars go play overseas for money reasons.
If that happens I feel there will be a NEW RECORD BOOK and an OLD ONE. It'll change the NBA.

barreleffact
08-09-2008, 07:18 PM

same for brand right? at the end of teh day, kobe's right. it is a business and anyone who wouldnt do w/e it took to make more money not only now, but in the long run too, is too high strung and largely incapable of thinking. the competition in europe isnt bad anymore, their dollar is almost twice ours, and he could have partial ownership plus global endorsements, while being in teh comfort of home...if you wanna say loyalty, what about to where he grew up? what about peope who decided never to play in europe because the nba was the best in the world and made the most money? were they unloyal to their countries, let alone their teams?please, if lebron, kbe, wade, anyone wants to better their bank, their lives, and anything else, let them. they worked a long time gaining the experience and advantages to be seen by you, but dont think that means they owe you or anyone else anything. they worked for it themselves, let them take every oportunity while they can

barreleffact
08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
He just wants to get another 7 years 140 millions contract.

Then ***** about the team not being competitive, COme on man!!!! you are eating half the cap on your own!!!!!.

Be a man , opt out, take Mle and alow lakers to have cap in 2010

yea..have arguably the best player on teh planet settle for the mid level exception...you mean when he's in his late 30's right?

FOBolous
08-09-2008, 07:35 PM
personally...if i was a Lakers' fan, i would feel betrayed by this news. Lakers' fan has gone through so much with Kobe and stood by Kobe's side no matter what happens..no matter what drama this prema donna causes but he turns around and says this ****?!?! f kobe. it should be a no brainer for him to resign with the Lakers after all this crap he put both the Lakers' organization and fans through. ungreatful son of a *****.

lalakobe24
08-09-2008, 07:47 PM
personally...if i was a Lakers' fan, i would feel betrayed by this news. Lakers' fan has gone through so much with Kobe and stood by Kobe's side no matter what happens..no matter what drama this prema donna causes but he turns around and says this ****?!?! f kobe. it should be a no brainer for him to resign with the Lakers after all this crap he put both the Lakers' organization and fans through. ungreatful son of a *****.

yu hater even lebrom james is thinking bout this why dont yu let yur loser head hate on him

who the HELL would walk away from 50 million dollars a year 50!!!!!

SAVAGE CLAW
08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I just think players agents have listened to all the chatter after childress left and are trying to get some dollars out from paranoia.

Cash From Chaos.

Wouldnt surprise me they were trying to force the elimination of the Salary Cap.

lakersrock
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
The only way he opts out if for probably 50M per year. His salary that year with LAL will be huge. Plus, he won't leave unless it's near that. If LA gives him 22ish for 5 years, he'd be insane to pass it up.

Sixerlover
08-09-2008, 09:48 PM
^ Why would he be insane to leave for more than double the money?

FOBolous
08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
yu hater even lebrom james is thinking bout this why dont yu let yur loser head hate on him

who the HELL would walk away from 50 million dollars a year 50!!!!!

cause Lebron didn't put the Cavalier organization and the Cavalier's fans through as much crap as Kobe did.

and how does me thinking like that makes me a hater? i'm a hater because i think kobe should stay with the lakers? :confused: you kobe fan boys need to chill out.

lakersrock
08-10-2008, 01:35 AM
^ Why would he be insane to leave for more than double the money?

They'd have to give him a salary of apx. 75MPY for it to be 50MPY tax free. That's not happening....Kobe said he probably won't leave anyways.

You have to remember, he has all the money he could ever need. If he has a legit chance to get to 7 rings and trump MJ, his ego is gonna give up the money to be the best the NBA has ever seen.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Just a little Fact, Manchester United just turned Down a 100 Million euros (about 150 million dollars) Real Madrid offer for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Wich shows us:

1 Teams in europe INDEED have the money to offer, specially those who are both Basket and Soccer clubs ( Barcelona, Madrid, Olympiakos, Aek, Panathinaikos, Cska, Dinamo....)

2 Money isnt everything, since Man Utd turned the offer Down.

conceptual23
08-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Nothing at all to worry about as long as the Lakers keep winning and are going deep in the playoff evey year

Reezy
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
i realize that.
im not forgetting.
josh childress' contract #'s are converted.
32M( 20M net pay!?) USD over 3 years. a little less than 7 mil a year that he actually gets.

kobe makes what 20mil? 1 season.

your suggesting a team in europe is actually going to sign a superstar for 50M? thats a ridiculously larger amount than ANY other euro player. we're not talking about maybe 5-10 mil more, no. we're talking about 40M+ more than the next highest paid guy. thats more than 5 times the next highest guys salary.

italy, kobe's "most likely" team he would want to go to is italy. they just made boykins the highest payed player in italy. 3.5 whopping million dollars.
Do you even have one post where you don't post a single word in all caps or using bold? It doesn't get your point anymore across. If anything it makes you sound like you're talking down to me. I'm sure you don't want a pompous 15 year old talking down to you, so treat others the way you want to be treated.

A player of Kobe's or LeBron's caliber has yet to reach Europe and in case you didn't do the conversion, 50 million USD is equal to about 33 million Euro.

Not to mention you breezed over the fact that I said a player like Kobe or LeBron would be much more marketable and bring in so much more money in merchandise, sponsors and ticket sales. Please, do give that a little more thought next time.

_Supreme_
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM

You (and a lot of other people in here) should get informed a little better about some of the revenue the top European teams have. They'd obliterate the NBA teams 5 times over financially if they'd want to.

The whole point is the willingness to spend the money, not the ability to afford. As soon as that spending notion starts flowing the NBA is in serious trouble.

_Supreme_
08-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Any player in the world would keep the option of receiving an insane money offer open as long as possible.

Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Lebron James.... all of them. You can't realisticly blame them for that.

Basketball is already very popular in a lot of European countries, and the popularity in only growing. Giving a player like the ones mentioned a $50M deal would probably almost completely be earned back by merchandise and tv deals alone.

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Do you even have one post where you don't post a single word in all caps or using bold? It doesn't get your point anymore across. If anything it makes you sound like you're talking down to me. I'm sure you don't want a pompous 15 year old talking down to you, so treat others the way you want to be treated.

A player of Kobe's or LeBron's caliber has yet to reach Europe and in case you didn't do the conversion, 50 million USD is equal to about 33 million Euro.

Not to mention you breezed over the fact that I said a player like Kobe or LeBron would be much more marketable and bring in so much more money in merchandise, sponsors and ticket sales. Please, do give that a little more thought next time.
oh, but it does.
it highlights, and/or emphasizes what im talking about.
if you feel hurt by my bolded sentences thats pretty funny.

yeah 33 euro=50USD i know.
the highest paid player in europe is newly signed josh childress.
he makes under 10 million USD;)
50 million is boatloads more than that.
not even remotely close.

i know one NBA star would be very marketable. thats why i said it wouldnt be maybe more than 1 or 2 guys if it was to happen at all.
but to think European teams can go around grabbing up the stars is a big stretch of the imagination.
they would lose money.

Reezy
08-10-2008, 09:06 PM
oh, but it does.
it highlights, and/or emphasizes what im talking about.
if you feel hurt by my bolded sentences thats pretty funny.

yeah 33 euro=50USD i know.
the highest paid player in europe is newly signed josh childress.
he makes under 10 million USD;)
50 million is boatloads more than that.
not even remotely close.

i know one NBA star would be very marketable. thats why i said it wouldnt be maybe more than 1 or 2 guys if it was to happen at all.
but to think European teams can go around grabbing up the stars is a big stretch of the imagination.
they would lose money.
First of all, you didn't even answer the question. Apparently you cannot. I put it in a nice way for you before, but since you simply cannot respect others (this is very clear), then I will put it to you IN YOUR TERMS. It makes you look like a TWIT.

Yeah, of course you know now since I told you. Anybody can copy and paste. And your comparison doesn't make any sense. Are you actually comparing Childress to Kobe or LeBron? :laugh:

No, you didn't say you knew an NBA star would be very marketable. You said that there was no possible way a team would have enough money. You should really do more research before making a statement that's not even close to true.

Did I say I think Euroleagues could pick up as many NBA Stars as possible? No, I didn't. Please stop making stuff up. This isn't imagination land.

All I said was that if you think it's impossible for a Euroleague team to put a good chunk of money up and lure LeBron James or a Kobe, you're fooling yourself.

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
First of all, you didn't even answer the question. Apparently you cannot. I put it in a nice way for you before, but since you simply cannot respect others (this is very clear), then I will put it to you IN YOUR TERMS. It makes you look like a TWIT.

Yeah, of course you know now since I told you. Anybody can copy and paste. And your comparison doesn't make any sense. Are you actually comparing Childress to Kobe or LeBron? :laugh:

No, you didn't say you knew an NBA star would be very marketable. You said that there was no possible way a team would have enough money. You should really do more research before making a statement that's not even close to true.

Did I say I think Euroleagues could pick up as many NBA Stars as possible? No, I didn't. Please stop making stuff up. This isn't imagination land.

All I said was that if you think it's impossible for a Euroleague team to put a good chunk of money up and lure LeBron James or a Kobe, you're fooling yourself.
you like to just post lies? or whats the deal?
1. copy+paste? drugs?
2. bolding and capitalizing emphasize points... obviously your the only one scared and crying in your mommy's room over it.
3. where did i say no possible way they sign one? i know for a fact i said they maybe could sign one or two, but wouldn't go around signing a whole bunch. and that it wasnt likely.

i didnt say they didn't have the money. i said the players don't make that much over there. not even close to as much.

was i comparing kobe and childress?
no.
but childress is the best NBA player they have signed, and to the biggest deal.
it comes nowhere even close to 50M that i guess you think euro teams will do to all our stars.

Reezy
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
you like to just post lies? or whats the deal?
1. copy+paste? drugs?
2. bolding and capitalizing emphasize points... obviously your the only one scared and crying in your mommy's room over it.
3. where did i say no possible way they sign one? i know for a fact i said they maybe could sign one or two, but wouldn't go around signing a whole bunch. and that it wasnt likely.

i didnt say they didn't have the money. i said the players don't make that much over there. not even close to as much.

was i comparing kobe and childress?
no.
but childress is the best NBA player they have signed, and to the biggest deal.
it comes nowhere even close to 50M that i guess you think euro teams will do to all our stars.
Seriously, you cannot even use the correct "you're"?

My point is that's it's sad that you have to do things such as bold and capitalize nearly every word in your post just so people read your post. Maybe if your (noticed how I used the correct your) posts had any actual merit they might actually be worth reading. And you really didn't know the conversion rate. Keep playing it off like you did, but you didn't. What's even more hilarious is that you take what I say and then pass it off as your own when I said you are posting lies. Can you think of anything on your own? No, you can't.

What's also even more sad is that you come up with such terrible comebacks, I honestly don't even think freshman from college would have such dull repartee.

No, what I said was that you stated no team would offer $50 million USD for a player because they can't afford it. There have been many others that already told you that they can. But you obviously just ignore what everybody says and then just say something different later.