PDA

View Full Version : Griz Could Target Marion, Odom, Wilcox, Z-Bo

phlp_bj
08-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Now that Smith is a Hawk again, it will be interesting to see what the Grizzlies do next. They could make a similar offer for Iguodala, but he doesn't fit a need. Ditto for Ben Gordon.

If the Grizzlies really are trying to improve their team, what they really need desperately is some veteran help on the front line. Currently their front line has a still-disappointing Darko Milicic, Hakim Warrick and two rookies, Marc Gasol and Darrell Arthur.

Both Gasol and Arthur have a chance. Gasol was the MVP of the Spanish league this past season. He's very skilled, but there are serious questions about how his athleticism and game will translate at the NBA level. Arthur should've been a late lottery pick, but questions about his health caused his stock to plummet on draft night. And you can always hope that maybe this is the season Milicic finally uses his talent on a night-to-night basis.

The team could also try to play the trade market using their cap space and their glut of point guards as bait. They could go for a player with an expiring contract like Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom or Chris Wilcox. Or if they really wanted to roll the dice on a talented, but troubled player, I'm sure the Knicks would give them Zach Randolph.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=smithhawks-080809

innovator
08-09-2008, 08:52 AM
if they sign a veteran player then they should not have traded gasol, bcuz gasol is better than marion,odom,wilcox,zebo... they traded gasol so that they can rebuild and get young players..... the restricted FA rule sucks.. the player should be the one deciding where he wants to go

phlp_bj
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
ya i know. one of the perks of the bargaining agreement

greek miami hea
08-09-2008, 08:59 AM
and who the hell can offer us for marion?if its a good pg and a good c then im ok with this trade!

MiamiHeat
08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
and who the hell can offer us for marion?if its a good pg and a good c then im ok with this trade!

yea who?

Lakerfrk
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Same goes for us and Odom... im not takin anyone from the Grizz for Odom..

$ NyC $
08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
hope they take Z-Bo off our hands...lowry..or conley..or arthur..som1 loll

Diehardheatfan
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
yea who?

They have a few chips. I would give them marion and a first round pick for Mayo and Millic!!!

Gmen824
08-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Ill take ANYONE for Randolph lmao

Weezy
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Ill take ANYONE for Randolph lmao

i 2nd that. amen. :D

MiamiHeat
08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
They have a few chips. I would give them marion and a first round pick for Mayo and Millic!!!
Mayo is untouchable ever since Kobe said he has the whole package

Diehardheatfan
08-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Mayo is untouchable ever since Kobe said he has the whole package

Thats fine im just saying they have things we like if they really were to want marion. Whether they do it is another subject

NYKnickFanatic
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Shooooot, Ill take Marko, Darko, and Walker for Randolph!

Please just get rid of himmm!

NYKnickFanatic
08-09-2008, 01:50 PM

They would NEVER give up Mayo for Marion.

Vidball
08-09-2008, 02:00 PM
The Griz could have gotten Odom instead of Kwame but wanted Kwame's expiring instead. No way they go after Odom/Marion. They are looking for young blook (ala JSmoove).

Diehardheatfan
08-09-2008, 02:03 PM
They would NEVER give up Mayo for Marion.

I agree thats not saying maimi wouldnt do it

zo#33
08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I would be fine with a Marion for Conley deal

Kyle N.
08-09-2008, 02:18 PM
if they sign a veteran player then they should not have traded gasol, bcuz gasol is better than marion,odom,wilcox,zebo... they traded gasol so that they can rebuild and get young players..... the restricted FA rule sucks.. the player should be the one deciding where he wants to go

If the players decided where they wanted to go, the crappy teams would never get better, and the league would lose money from all the fans leaving.

IversonIsKrazy
08-09-2008, 02:49 PM
the article says 4 next summer they may target those players, aka, when their free-agents. So they could sign shawn marion or chris wilcox next summer instead of trading this summer.

IndiansFan337
08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Although they have cap space, I don't think they want to trade away any of their youngsters, aside from one of the PG's.

So they want to try to build via F/A. But the problem with that is trying to convince players to move to Memphis. That's a hard sale to make.

lakerboy
08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
The Griz could have gotten Odom instead of Kwame but wanted Kwame's expiring instead. No way they go after Odom/Marion. They are looking for young blook (ala JSmoove).

Honestly, I'd send Odom for Rudy Gay and Marc Gasol :)

GSW fan
08-09-2008, 06:11 PM

not even rudy gay and oj mayo?

BlondeBomber41
08-09-2008, 06:35 PM

You obviously have no concept of how restricted free agency works.

RFA HELPS the player, its a good thing for him.

It allows the player to get his long term deal sooner than he would if he chose to wait to be a UFA.

If a player wants to change teams, he could wait another year and then leave as a unrestricted FA. Obviously Smith didnt wanna change teams that badly or he would never agree to sign a contract he knew the Hawks could match.

_Sn1P3r_
08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I would be fine with a Marion for Conley deal

If I were Miami, I'd ask for more than just Conley. Add another player and/or first round draft pick since Memphis is most likely going back to lottery.

I Am Awesome-O
08-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Honestly, I'd send Odom for Rudy Gay and Marc Gasol :)

Please tell me that was a joke.

Jay22Redd
08-09-2008, 10:42 PM

NOT EVEN RUDY GAY :eyebrow: