PDA

View Full Version : What should the Nuggets do with LK? -UPDATE- He still wants to stay

DenButsu
08-09-2008, 06:13 AM
I see four main choices the Nuggets could make regarding Linas Kleiza:

1. Keep things as is - no extension, no trade - let him become an unrestricted FA in 2009
October 31st is the deadline for the Nuggets to extend his contract. If they don't extend it, he will become a restricted free agent in 2009. Logistically, this would be the easiest choice - to simply do nothing and wait until the end of the season to either re-sign him to the Nuggets or S&T him to another team.

2. Extend his contract and keep him as part of Denver's future
My guess is that the Nuggets are reluctant to extend right now based on their desire to decrease the payroll as much as possible. Kleiza might ask for something in the range of $4.5 million to the MLE which, assuming we re-sign J.R. for a comparable amount, probably puts us back close to $78-80 million in total salary. Still, if the FO sees him as part of our future and wants to lock him down now before another team has a chance to pitch him a bigger offer sheet next summer, they could do this. And if they don't extend but want to keep him at the end of the season, they'll probably end up paying him about the same amount anyhow. So they could choose to extend and make a commitment to keeping LK on the team.

3. Trade him this offseason to fill more pressing team needs
Currently, however, he's probably our most tradeable piece. And with Melo already playing probably about 36-38 minutes and Balkman probably being able to fill the rest of the sf minutes, he's a player we might be able to afford to lose, especially if we could fill a more urgent team need (point guard, center) in exchange. So another option would be to try to move him this offseason in order to bring better balance to the roster and have a squad that is, overall, better prepared to make one last push for success with AI and Melo playing together.

4. Wait until later this season and trade him before the deadline
Whether he was extended or not, another option would be to wait until the trade deadline and then try to trade him then (possibly packaging him with Chucky's expiring contract or Hunter's dead weight contract if Karl continues refusing to play him). It could be that the Nuggets just haven't come down with a final verdict on whether LK fits into our future, and they need more time to check his development to get a better handle on which way they want to go with him. Keeping him on board for now and giving him a chance to prove himself through the first part of the season could provide the answers to their questions. But it also carries the risk that, if his performace falls short of expectations and they do choose to trade him, his value will have dropped.

So what do you think the Nuggets should do with LK?

TheFuture6
08-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I vote extend him, lock him up long-term. Dude has shown he has some serious offensive game. The night he dropped 41 on Utah was one of my favorite games of all last season.

Trade him only if we can get a starting caliber PG in return for him.

Rocky15Milehigh
08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
we should traded him for Artest along time ago! now trade him with someone else in a pakage for someone Good! We should of traded camby and najera and LK for something, instead we got rid of them for nothing!

C-Dub
08-09-2008, 01:33 PM
trade him, we need defensive minded players, not offensive, plus he wont play as much as he did last season...and we NEED other pieces such as a PG, so get what we can with him

asadf
08-09-2008, 01:44 PM
extend him. hes shown improvement every season. lock him up now for a lower price on a long term deal.

avsman05
08-09-2008, 03:38 PM
depending who the trade is for i would say trade him if we arent getting either Josh Smith highly unlikely now that he just signed long term with atlanta or Kirk Hinrich who looks like he will not be going anywhere either because it doesnt look like gordon is going to be a bull this year. then give him a long term extension.

IndiansFan337
08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I would offer him a reasonable extension & see if he accepts, counters, or simply rejects. If he counters I may start negotiations. If he accepts, then you have him locked up. If he rejects, then you wait things out & possibly consider trading him during the season.

DenButsu
08-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, in the Olympics LK's sure making a case for himself as being someone the Nugs should hang on to.

C-Dub
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
idk, i would like to trade him if we get someone more useful than himself to us, such as a good PG, but otherwise he is a good scorer and he does add good depth to the roster, him and Balkman will be good backups for the SFand PF positions, is Anderson a PF or C? I bet he plays more minutes at C than at PF for us.

DenButsu
08-13-2008, 10:13 PM
C-Dub, I think Andersen's natural position is PF, but for us he will probably be shifted over to the C more so he can go in for Nene. Why? Because he's taller than all our other sf/pfs. And I think Karl will play him more than Hunter.

DenButsu
08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Kleiza wants to stay with Nuggets

BEIJING Count Linas Kleiza as another Nuggets player surprised by the Marcus Camby trade.

But count Kleiza as one who doesn't want to go anywhere else.

The forward can sign a contract extension by Oct. 31 or he becomes a restricted free agent next summer. While Kleiza said there won't be any talks until after the Olympics, he reiterated Thursday he wants to re-sign.

"Oh, yeah, definitely," he said after his native Lithuania beat Russia 86-79 to move to 3-0. "I love being there, so hopefully it will work out."

It didn't work too well for Camby as Denver dealt him last month in a salary dump. The Clippers only gave up the possibility of having to swap 2010 second-round picks.

"I think everybody was surprised by the move," said Kleiza, who is averaging 13 points in the Olympics after he shot 1-for-7 for 4 points Thursday but got 11 rebounds. "But I don't know why they did it . . . I think the Nugget organization has a plan . . . I'm 100 percent behind them."

Lithuania is all but assured of advancing to the quarterfinals. It eventually could run into the U.S., featuring Carmelo Anthony, Kleiza's Nuggets teammate.

"We're coming after him, especially," said Kleiza, who has been talking trash to Anthony.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/14/kleiza-wants-to-stay/)

I love that trash talk. Now that Kleiza's actually performing better than Melo in the Olympics, it puts a lot more oomf behind it. I really hope the two teams match up and we see LK and Melo go toe-to-toe.

avsman05
08-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Honestly ive been watching a lot of the basketball games and Germany and Lithuania are the two underdog teams that scare me they can score and play d. They played the US better than any other team Australia was second to them.