PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Match offer

AMC31
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
The wait is over, Hawks fans. I can report tonight that the Hawks have officially matched the offer sheet signed earlier today by Josh Smith with the Memphis Grizzlies, and Josh will remain in a Hawks uniform for next season and beyond.

Rick Sund spoke with me briefly just a moment ago to confirm, and had this to say:

"We are going to match the offer sheet, and Josh will continue to be a Hawk," said Sund. "We are glad to have this taken care of, and we are looking forward to training camp in October. In the meantime, we are continuing to work to improve our roster.

"I just spoke to Josh, and he is happy to get the process behind him and move forward. The bottom line was, we wanted to make a quick decision once the offer came through to show Josh that we want him to remain a Hawk."

Obviously, this is terrific news for the Hawks. More to come I'm sure...

http://hawks.portspaces.com/post/hawksbasketblog/hawks_resign_josh_smith.html

ClemsonTigers32
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
THANK YOU HAWKS FOR FINALLY STANDING UP AND GROWING A PAIR!! :clap:

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
okay

Kdirt
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Now since he doesnt want to stay in ATL why dont you guys ship him over to the Warriors.

Jay22Redd
08-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Good, I like the Hawks and Josh Smith

f.i.l.a.
08-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Hallelujah

Bigstevo101
08-09-2008, 12:39 PM
The ASG actually spent the money to win? It's a sign of the apoccalypse.

Camden Guru
08-09-2008, 01:06 PM

For real. i was actually suprised that the hawks matched the offer sheet that quick. as soon as the offer sheet hit the desk the hawks matched. from what i read the hawks did NOT negotiate anything with either Joshes. They wanted to low ball the entire way and threaten to match any contract that either josh received. Even Chills mentioned that Sund did not talk to him about a contract and that it seemed like the Hawks did not care about him. To add to this Smith wanted a 12 million per year contract and eventually (BIG THANKS TO THE GRIZZLIES:clap::clap::clap:) he signed a contract that is worth 11.6 million per year. what is the purpose of low balling when you are practically giving the player what he wants in the first place? The mere thought of how the ASG runs things is like having hemorage in the brain. To be honest we got Smith at a baragin. Iggy wants a 70+ million contract, Deng got a 70 million contract, Okafor got 72 million, Ellis got 66 million, Bedrins got 55 million, and to top things off Bogut got an 80 million extention.
With the Smith situation FINALLY over, we need to now focus on the contract extentions of Marvin and Horford.

Camden Guru
08-09-2008, 01:07 PM

For real. i was actually suprised that the hawks matched the offer sheet that quick. as soon as the offer sheet hit the desk the hawks matched. from what i read the hawks did NOT negotiate anything with either Joshes. They wanted to low ball the entire way and threaten to match any contract that either josh received. Even Chills mentioned that Sund did not talk to him about a contract and that it seemed like the Hawks did not care about him. To add to this Smith wanted a 12 million per year contract and eventually (BIG THANKS TO THE GRIZZLIES:clap::clap::clap:) he signed a contract that is worth 11.6 million per year. what is the purpose of low balling when you are practically giving the player what he wants in the first place? The mere thought of how the ASG runs things is like having hemorage in the brain. To be honest we got Smith at a baragin. Iggy wants a 70+ million contract, Deng got a 70 million contract, Okafor got 72 million, Ellis got 66 million, Bedrins got 55 million, and to top things off Bogut got an 80 million extention.
With the Smith situation FINALLY over, we need to now focus on the contract extentions of Marvin,Law,and Horford.

kanersen
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
thats the way to do it ATL managment

lowball the player creating ill will, then match an offer sheet for an amount greater then what it would have taken to sign the player if you gave him a fair contract offer

this has the makings of a eventual trade out of ATL if Smith is pissed and the Hawks digress this year making him liable to pout his way out(which is very possible with the loss of Childress and East teams loading up)

hyp21
08-09-2008, 04:08 PM
hell has officially frozen over. the HAWKS are doing right!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!! there IS a GOD! now we need to get some bonified shooting.

IndyFan
08-09-2008, 04:18 PM
let's be real. the ATL FO should get big props here. they got smith to sign for a $10 mil start. for only 5 years. [$10, $10.8, $11.6, $12.4, $13.2] with the lower increase rate of 8%. that allowed a higher starting salary of $10 mil. i am sure the FO didn't want to pay the 6th year if they didn't have to. nice job by them of waiting smith out. the hawks will have salary cap money to spend else where if needed. :clap:

:)

hyp21
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
^Elsewhere should be providing some 3 point shooting. and I wouldn't be against going out and getting Elson to split time perhaps with Horfie at center, moving zaza to the 4 and he and Randolph Morris anchor that up.

Daaa Mumf
08-11-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think we need Elson. If we are going to pick up anyone it needs to be a SG or SF. Pargo would be a nice peice we could use at SG and move Evans to the SF spot.

kylem4711
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
i would like josh to come out and say that he wants to be with the hawks.

cause i have a funny feeling he doesn't

bossup2
08-18-2008, 01:11 PM
now that they locked up smith they should shop him around i think they should try and get tayshaun prince and amir johnson from detroit or some package involving prince

hawks4
08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
now that they locked up smith they should shop him around i think they should try and get tayshaun prince and amir johnson from detroit or some package involving prince

hell no! as much as i like tayshaun prince, i would much rather have josh smith.

kiznarl
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Smoove is going nowhere or as I've said in the other thread neither is JJ. Detroit are gonna have to look elsewhere for a trade (unless they want Speedy)

BaRRySandAmaN
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
This was a solid move by the Hawks, this guy is going to be a really good player once he gets hold of his Offensive game because everyone knows the guy can play D.

kiznarl
09-14-2008, 12:48 PM
This was a solid move by the Hawks, this guy is going to be a really good player once he gets hold of his Offensive game because everyone knows the guy can play D.

Thats a commom assesment made of smith but i dont think his offensive game is that bad if he continues to play pf. He can drive to the basket and is more than sufficient in the paint in both ends. Sure he can't be relied on to make the mid-long range jumpers but williams is ever improving in this role and johnson is usually pretty consistent. Thats why ive come around on smith playing pf i did think it was a bad move at 1st but think his game has become more tailored to pf than sf the last year or so

celticfan
09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
If Josh had left.... that would have been awful for you guys