PDA

View Full Version : John Edwards affair

SmthBluCitrus
08-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Sad sad day for me ...

Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate

John Edwards repeatedly lied during his Presidential campaign about an extramarital affair with a novice filmmaker, the former Senator admitted to ABC News today.

In an interview for broadcast tonight on Nightline, Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 44-year old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.

Edwards also denied he was the father of Hunter's baby girl, Frances Quinn, although the one-time Democratic Presidential candidate said he has not taken a paternity test.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5441195&page=1

lakerboy
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Any pictures? :)

She should be hot, at least.

Doc Fluty
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
what sucks is i kept hearing that he was one of the "good guys"... his fights for the poor and such... and now his career and ideas could be dismissed.

to some this wont matter ala bill clinton

but to some it just goes to show you that no matter how much you support certian celebrities and/or polititions... that you really dont know them.

people are not perfect... neither are politicians... but one has to wonder about the judgment of a guy who clearly has it all and is/was running for the most important position in the world...yet he just couldn't control himself

kinda fuked up he did it while his wife was getting cancer treatments...

Doc Fluty
08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Any pictures? :)

She should be hot, at least.

Rielle Hunter ..... http://i34.tinypic.com/oaninr.jpg

umm no

ari1013
08-08-2008, 04:02 PM
this just came out on ABC? this has been a story for months now

Wrigleyboy25
08-08-2008, 04:04 PM
ouch. cheats on the wife fighting cancer.

Doc Fluty
08-08-2008, 04:08 PM
this just came out on ABC? this has been a story for months now

the story is he is admitting it

redsox12
08-08-2008, 04:09 PM
WASHINGTON - Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Friday admitted to an extramarital affair while his wife was battling cancer. He denied fathering the woman's daughter. Edwards told ABC News that he lied repeatedly about the affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter but said that he didn't love her.

He said he has not taken a paternity test but knows he isn't the father because of the timing of the affair and the birth.

A former Edwards campaign staffer claims he is the father, not Edwards.

Hunter's daughter, Frances Quinn Hunter, was born on Feb. 27, 2008, and no father's name is given on the birth certificate filed in California.

The National Enquirer first reported on the affair in October 2007, and Edwards denied it.

"The story is false," he told reporters. "It's completely untrue, ridiculous."

The Enquirer carried another story last month, stating that its reporters had accosted Edwards in a Los Angeles hotel where he had met with Hunter after her child's birth. Edwards called it "tabloid trash," but he generally avoided reporters' inquiries, as did his former top aides.

In the interview, scheduled to air on ABC News' "Nightline," Edwards said the tabloid was correct when it reported on his meeting with Hunter at the Beverly Hills Hotel last month.

Most mainstream news organizations refrained from reporting the story, but newspapers in Charlotte and Raleigh, N.C., recounted the Enquirer's allegations in prominent articles on Thursday.

Edwards acknowledged the affair on Friday afternoon, traditionally a slow-news period even when the Olympic Games' opening ceremonies are not preoccupying millions of Americans.

Edwards was a top contender for the Democratic nomination for president, pursuing his party's nod even after announcing that his wife, Elizabeth, had a deadly form of cancer.

He placed second in the Iowa caucuses last January but dropped out of the race a few weeks later. He has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential choice for Barack Obama. The former North Carolina senator was the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2004.

David Bonior, Edwards' campaign manager for his 2008 presidential bid, said Friday he was disappointed and angry after hearing about Edwards' confession.

"Thousands of friends of the senators and his supporters have put their faith and confidence in him and he's let him down," said Bonior, a former congressman from Michigan. "They've been betrayed by his action."

Asked whether the affair would damage Edwards' future aspirations in public service, Bonior replied: "You can't lie in politics and expect to have people's confidence."

In 2006, Edwards' political action committee paid $100,000 in a four-month span to a newly formed firm run by Hunter, who directed the production of just four Web videos, one a mere 2 1/2 minutes long.

The payments from Edwards' One America Committee to Midline Groove Productions LLC started on July 5, 2006, five days after Hunter incorporated the firm in Delaware.

Midline provided "Website/Internet services," according to reports that Edwards' PAC filed with the Federal Election Commission.

Midline's work product consists of four YouTube videos showing Edwards in informal settings as he prepares to make speeches in Storm Lake, Iowa, and Pittsburgh, as he prepares for an appearance on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and travels in Uganda in 2006.

Edwards' PAC followed the six-figure payment with two smaller payments totaling $14,461, the last on April 1, 2007.

At the time Hunter was compiling the videos in 2006, Edwards was preparing a run for president.

Episode One of the four videos captures a conversation between Edwards and an unseen woman as the two chat aboard a plane about an upcoming speech in Storm Lake, Iowa.

Cutting between clips of the speech and the conversation with the woman, Edwards touches on his standard political themes, declaring that government must do a better job of addressing the great issues of the day, from poverty and education to jobs and the war in Iraq.

"I want to see our party lead on the great moral issues — yes, me a Democrat using that word — the great moral issues that face our country," Edwards tells the crowd. "If we want to live in a moral, honest just America and if we want to live in a moral and just world, we can't wait for somebody else to do it. We have to do it."

The sound track for the six-minute video is the song "True Reflections" which begins with these words: "When you look into a mirror, do you like what's looking at you? Now that you've seen your true reflections, what on earth are you gonna do?"

The video entitled "Plane Truths," opens with Edwards relaxing in his seat on the plane, telling the unseen woman that "I actually walked the country to see who I am, who I really am, but I don't know what the result of that will be.

Edwards adds: "But for me personally, I'd rather be successful or unsuccessful based on who I really am, not based on some plastic Ken doll that you put up in front of audiences, that's not me, you know?"

yahoo.com

Hawkize31
08-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Hmm, its weird he would run for President if this happened in 06. He had to know there was a chance it could come out, and if he happened to be the nominee when it came out, Democrats lose the election. Maybe it was a really well-kept secret and would only come out if he admitted it though.

Zaunnie
08-08-2008, 05:44 PM
...he's still better than Hillary

Prior22
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
and if he happened to be the nominee when it came out, Democrats lose the election.

Disagree completely. Why would committing adultery ruin Edwards' chances against McCain. If Edwards biggest flaw is adultery and McCain's is supporting the same war and same upper class tax cuts Bush originally put in place I would think it would be a clear decision on who moderates would vote for.

Conservatives wouldn't vote for Edwards, even without the adultery issue, because of his stance on social issues such as abortion. And Democrats wouldn't vote for McCain because he's way too much like Bush in several key areas. So it comes down to whether McCain or Edwards is more appealing to moderates in swing states. And I believe Edwards would have gained that edge.

Randy West
08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
No way

A politician lied again about something???

I am in total disbelief

ari1013
08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Hmm, its weird he would run for President if this happened in 06. He had to know there was a chance it could come out, and if he happened to be the nominee when it came out, Democrats lose the election. Maybe it was a really well-kept secret and would only come out if he admitted it though.
No, it's been out for a while. I guess the big deal now is, as Doc says, that he's admitting it.

But this was the reason all along that I thought he had no chance at the VP slot.

ari1013
08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Our family has been through a lot. Some caused by nature, some caused by human weakness, and some – most recently – caused by the desire for sensationalism and profit without any regard for the human consequences. None of these has been easy. But we have stood with one another through them all. Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him.

John made a terrible mistake in 2006. The fact that it is a mistake that many others have made before him did not make it any easier for me to hear when he told me what he had done. But he did tell me. And we began a long and painful process in 2006, a process oddly made somewhat easier with my diagnosis in March of 2007. This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well. Because of a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication, because of a picture falsely suggesting that John was spending time with a child it wrongly alleged he had fathered outside our marriage, our private matter could no longer be wholly private.

The pain of the long journey since 2006 was about to be renewed.

John has spoken in a long on-camera interview I hope you watch. Admitting one’s mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do, and I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown. But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue. I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John’s conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.

Just got this off of Elizabeth Edwards' blog.

BG7
08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
"I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen," - John Edwards, on Bill Clinton, 1999.

DenButsu
08-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, uh, I guess he won't be speaking at the convention, then?

That is a bummer, though. I feel bad for his wife - that's a pretty *****y thing to do.

But as any good politician would attempt to do, I see he's chosen his timing well, trying to bury the story in the hoopla of the opening day of the Olympics...

ari1013
08-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, uh, I guess he won't be speaking at the convention, then?

That is a bummer, though. I feel bad for his wife - that's a pretty *****y thing to do.

But as any good politician would attempt to do, I see he's chosen his timing well, trying to bury the story in the hoopla of the opening day of the Olympics...
I don't think there were ever plans to have him speak.

DenButsu
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't think there were ever plans to have him speak.

I hadn't heard either way, actually. I was just alluding to the idea that the DNC will most likely do their best to sweep him into the shadows as quickly as possible.

blenderboy5
08-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm shocked. A person who lied in court pretending to channel the feelings of babies in the womb, a person who gave 5 figure speeches on poverty, etc isn't a moral person? Shock.

The thing is, and let's be honest, no one would give a **** if Elizabeth Edwards wasn't dying of cancer. Especially when she was the manlier one in the relationship.

SmthBluCitrus
08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Not to split hairs here, but he had the affair back in 2006 when the cancer was in remission. So, it's not as though he said to himself "well crap ... she's dying anyway, what does it matter?"

Again, not condoning the affair. And, I am incredibly disappointed seeing as this was a man I devoted a great deal of time and energy into in hopes of seeing him in the Oval Office. But lets at least get facts straight.

blenderboy5
08-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I actually didn't know it was in remission at the time. Doesn't make it any better, as you pointed out, but it's an important clarification.

ari1013
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I actually didn't know it was in remission at the time. Doesn't make it any better, as you pointed out, but it's an important clarification.
Kinda like how McCain cheated on his wife while she was in the hospital? ;)

ink
08-09-2008, 07:22 PM
He's admitted it and that's more than most would do. Now it's private. Between himself and his family. I'd say the same thing for any public figure. People mess up. It doesn't invalidate everything else they do or say. That's why I hate any negative attacks ... from either side.

DenButsu
08-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Kinda like how McCain cheated on his wife while she was in the hospital? ;)

Exactly.

Everybody's all up in arms about "what will this do to the Democratic party?!?', when...

...well, shall we make a list of all the Republican politicians who have cheated on their wives? We could even subdivide it into those who have cheated with women, and... oh, never mind. But it's funny how people get more in a tizzy about it when it's a Democrat, even though it's more hypocritical coming from Republicans, who represent the party that claims to have exclusive ownership of the mantle of "family values".

blenderboy5
08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Hardly.

The mainstream media orchestrated a total blackout of any news relating to Edwards and his affair. When I think we all know if one of the Republican ex-office holders being considered for the VP slot were caught cheating, it would be a huge deal in the press.

But Edwards is just such a tremendous hypocrite on everything, really. Even for a politician.

ink
08-09-2008, 09:18 PM
When I think we all know if one of the Republican ex-office holders being considered for the VP slot were caught cheating, it would be a huge deal in the press.

They only have themselves to blame for that. The insipid moral majority. Nothing like seeing a pratfall from those that condemn the way they do ... of course the press is all over that. They invite it with their "holier than though" ness. lol.

DenButsu
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Hardly.

The mainstream media orchestrated a total blackout of any news relating to Edwards and his affair. When I think we all know if one of the Republican ex-office holders being considered for the VP slot were caught cheating, it would be a huge deal in the press.

But Edwards is just such a tremendous hypocrite on everything, really. Even for a politician.

Dude, um... how much exactly are you hearing in the press about John McCain's affair? And he's the guy the Republicans actually picked, not their "3rd best in the primaries" guy.

The Republican equivalent in terms of stature would be like Giuliani or Huckabee. The Republican equivalent in practice, though, is McCain, and I haven't heard his sordid story mentioned once. Not once.

gcoll
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Dude, um... how much exactly are you hearing in the press about John McCain's affair?

What year was that in again?

About the story in general. Newsflash: Edwards is a giant douche.

Anyone who didn't know that.....obviously didn't listen to me.

ari1013
08-10-2008, 01:05 AM
What year was that in again?

About the story in general. Newsflash: Edwards is a giant douche.

Anyone who didn't know that.....obviously didn't listen to me.
And yet they talk about Obama's "connections" to Bill Ayers -- like he's a modern terrorist and not just some washed up radical hippy.

gcoll
08-10-2008, 01:10 AM
And yet they talk about Obama's "connections" to Bill Ayers -- like he's a modern terrorist and not just some washed up radical hippy.

Yeah. But Obama knew Ayers, when? Late 90's, early 2000's? It's a bit more up to date.

If Mccain had dinner with Charles Manson in 1997...I'm sure it would be more of an issue than some affair he had in the 70's.

PHX-SOXFAN
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Hardly.

I think it would have been about the same. the only way it would have been worse is if this hypothetical republican had followed the course of the party and been very anti-gay marriage and anti-gay then turned out to be having an affair with a man or caught in an airport bathroom:speechless:

PHX-SOXFAN
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah. But Obama knew Ayers, when? Late 90's, early 2000's? It's a bit more up to date.

If Mccain had dinner with Charles Manson in 1997...I'm sure it would be more of an issue than some affair he had in the 70's.

he knew a guy, wow. McCain has known some slime too, big difference between knowing someone and being close to them, unless you're sean hannity

Randy West
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I love how Edwards gets caught cold and we get a bunch of excuses for him from some.

And a bunch of hey republicans do the same thing so this should not matter or something to that effect.

Instead of looking at it like when people get caught in this type of situation their political carrers should be over.

If they can't make the correct choice when it is a simple situation then how on earth can they be trusted to make the proper decesions when faced with something more serious than cheating on their spouse?

blenderboy5
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I imagine Edwards political career isn't over because of this. I mean, Ted Kennedy's a murdering drunk, Robert Byrd's a clan member, and Barney Frank is morally repulsive. And that's just on the left. In the grand scheme of things, if Obama was to win the election and gave Edwards a position or something, does anyone really think he'd lose in 2012 because of that? Not really.

That being said, I doubt Edwards would have gotten a cabinet position regardless of this affair. He has shown Obama little loyalty. He broke for Obama once it didn't matter, once Obama had the nomination all but locked up. Say what you want about Bill Richardson, but at least he took a stand. He took a huge jump from the Clintons and has set himself up for a cabinet position.

ink
08-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I love how Edwards gets caught cold and we get a bunch of excuses for him from some.

And a bunch of hey republicans do the same thing so this should not matter or something to that effect.

Instead of looking at it like when people get caught in this type of situation their political carrers should be over.

If they can't make the correct choice when it is a simple situation then how on earth can they be trusted to make the proper decesions when faced with something more serious than cheating on their spouse?

I don't see many people defending him or what he did. And the tabloid logic that says he couldn't be trusted with bigger decisions because he had an affair just doesn't fly for me. Never has, never will. Again, I'm not defending him, I just don't buy the thinking.

Randy West
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't see many people defending him or what he did. And the tabloid logic that says he couldn't be trusted with bigger decisions because he had an affair just doesn't fly for me. Never has, never will. Again, I'm not defending him, I just don't buy the thinking.

So your assuming that he would not lie about anything else or???

I don't buy the thinking that he would not lie about another thing regardless.

He is now a confirmed liar and cheat, I guess we shouldn't look at it that way because...........he only cheated and lied this time I guess

ink
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
So your assuming that he would not lie about anything else or???

I don't buy the thinking that he would not lie about another thing regardless.

He is now a confirmed liar and cheat, I guess we shouldn't look at it that way because...........he only cheated and lied this time I guess

Well, you HAVE just provided a good reason not to vote for John McCain if you want to stick to that thinking. He is also a "confirmed liar and cheat".

Randy West
08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, you HAVE just provided a good reason not to vote for John McCain if you want to stick to that thinking. He is also a "confirmed liar and cheat".

So instead of talking about Edwards getting cold busted and reasons not to trust him we bring up the old McCain does it as well point?

I am not for McCain what I am for is holding politicians to a higher standard, you know the standard they all seem to preach but not be able to uphold themselves.

ink
08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
So instead of talking about Edwards getting cold busted and reasons not to trust him we bring up the old McCain does it as well point?

I am not for McCain what I am for is holding politicians to a higher standard, you know the standard they all seem to preach but not be able to uphold themselves.

Like I said, I'm not defending Edwards at all. You're the one who has the big issue with it, so apply that higher standard just as harshly to McCain too if you're going to be consistent.

Randy West
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Like I said, I'm not defending Edwards at all. You're the one who has the big issue with it, so apply that higher standard just as harshly to McCain too if you're going to be consistent.

Got ya

and I have

{}
08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
"I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen," - John Edwards, on Bill Clinton, 1999.

...not in the least bit suprising.

The only aspect suprising about this story is that people are even remotely shocked about the news. John Edwards is the quintessential sleazebag. Hollywood with every A-list actor at it's disposal, couldn't recreate a more authentic scumbag politician who exudes as much sleaze as John Edwards.

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Barney Frank is morally repulsive

Careful there, bb, you're letting your masculinity complex show...

blenderboy5
08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Careful there, bb, you're letting your masculinity complex show...

How do you say Barney Frank is moral? Unless you find prostitution rings to be the pinnacle of virtues.

gcoll
08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
he knew a guy, wow.
uhhhh....yeah.

big difference between knowing someone and being close to them
What difference does either make?

He was pretty close to Rev Wright, right?

Edwards is a phony.

This story is just further proof of that fact. If you want to go through a bullet point list:

- The whole cerebral paulsy thing as a trial lawyer.
- His lectures about poverty, and caring about the poor....all the while demonizing the rich, while living in a giant mansion.
- Cheats on wife

If you line these things up...it's clear we're dealing with a douche bag.

ink
08-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Remember Ronald Reagan, Nancy Reagan and Ross Perot were so upset with how John McCain dealt with his first wife that they didn't forgive him for a very, very long time. Perot still hasn't forgiven him. In fact, he said recently about McCain dumping his first wife for Cindy, "McCain is the classic opportunist. He's always reaching for attention and glory."

http://www.alternet.org/election08/94550/how_is_john_mccain's_affair_different_from_john_ed wards'/

DenButsu
08-12-2008, 12:26 AM
How do you say Barney Frank is moral? Unless you find prostitution rings to be the pinnacle of virtues.

Oh, I thought you just meant because he was gay.

b1e9a8r5s
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
He's admitted it and that's more than most would do. Now it's private. Between himself and his family. I'd say the same thing for any public figure. People mess up. It doesn't invalidate everything else they do or say. That's why I hate any negative attacks ... from either side.

He admitted it because he got caught by the national enquirer meeting up with her and the stroy wasn't going to go away. I don't think he should be given credit for doing "more than most would do". He got caught and then apologized/came clean. That's what they all would do.

SmthBluCitrus
08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
He admitted it because he got caught by the national enquirer meeting up with her and the stroy wasn't going to go away. I don't think he should be given credit for doing "more than most would do". He got caught and then apologized/came clean. That's what they all would do.

Ok, it was the National Enquirer. Who fesses up based on the superior investigative qualities of the Enquirer? Because I'm still waiting on the wolf man raised by hyenas that got anal probed by alien vampires.

It isn't as though it's a serious and legit news source, ya know? The man called ABC News into his house to admit the truth. I'd say that's pretty big.

b1e9a8r5s
08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Ok, it was the National Enquirer. Who fesses up based on the superior investigative qualities of the Enquirer? Because I'm still waiting on the wolf man raised by hyenas that got anal probed by alien vampires.

It isn't as though it's a serious and legit news source, ya know? The man called ABC News into his house to admit the truth. I'd say that's pretty big.

You can't be serrious. As one poster on here asked initially, "is this news" because this has been out there for some time. Fox news talked to the body guard who confirmed that Edwards was at the hotel at 2:30 in the morning at least a week ago. The issue isn't the enquirer, it's that this story had been out for a long time. Edwards had been asked about this for awhile and had always denied everything. Only when the evidence began to mount against him did he "come clean" If this wasa a republican, I doubt you would say give him credit for "telling the truth" a year and half after the affair, after he had been caught and his bid for the whitehouse had failed. How you can try to give him credit is dispicable.

The act of cheating is horrible, IMO, and worse yet the man was willing to risk his party's chances of winning the election on his own selfish ambitions. I wish he would have won the primary because he would have had handed the election to the republicans.

blenderboy5
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
No, don't worry. If Barney Frank was just some gay liberal representing a very liberal district, I'd be fine with it.

It's the whole uh-oh with the gay prostitue and him getting a small slap on the wrist that bothers me.

SmthBluCitrus
08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
You can't be serrious. As one poster on here asked initially, "is this news" because this has been out there for some time. Fox news talked to the body guard who confirmed that Edwards was at the hotel at 2:30 in the morning at least a week ago. The issue isn't the enquirer, it's that this story had been out for a long time. Edwards had been asked about this for awhile and had always denied everything. Only when the evidence began to mount against him did he "come clean" If this wasa a republican, I doubt you would say give him credit for "telling the truth" a year and half after the affair, after he had been caught and his bid for the whitehouse had failed. How you can try to give him credit is dispicable.

The act of cheating is horrible, IMO, and worse yet the man was willing to risk his party's chances of winning the election on his own selfish ambitions. I wish he would have won the primary because he would have had handed the election to the republicans.

Oh absolutely! Because McCain is so morally upstanding. :rolleyes:

I never once said that what Edwards did was right. And, it's not as though I'm giving him a pass on his extra-marital affair. But, he did come out and ultimately tell the truth. I'll give him credit for that. And beyond the affair, I'll give him credit for the issues he pushed. John Edwards was at the forefront of policy discussion from the beginning of the campaign until he ultimately bowed out.

It isn't as though this is a Larry Craig incidenct, either. It isn't like Edwards admitted to doing it, and then backed off with some weak excuse. Nor does Edwards hold any public office -- or did at the time of the affair. But, Edwards did a bad thing. And, considering I've been a strong Edwards backer for five years I'm crushed by it. I personally feel betrayed.

Do I give credit where I feel credit is due? Sure. And it doesn't matter if there's a 'D" or "R" behind the name ... or who the person is affiliated with. But, it takes a big wo/man to come out and admit to an affair, even in the face of mounting evidence.

But, way to play the partisan card.

PHX-SOXFAN
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
No, don't worry. If Barney Frank was just some gay liberal representing a very liberal district, I'd be fine with it.

It's the whole uh-oh with the gay prostitue and him getting a small slap on the wrist that bothers me.

why does that bother you? It's a misdemeanor. Besides, it doesn't show blatant hypocrisy and outward homophobia as an alternate lifestyle like say.....Larry Craig, or a leader of a conservative church in Utah.:speechless:

b1e9a8r5s
08-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh absolutely! Because McCain is so morally upstanding. :rolleyes:

I never once said that what Edwards did was right. And, it's not as though I'm giving him a pass on his extra-marital affair. But, he did come out and ultimately tell the truth. I'll give him credit for that. And beyond the affair, I'll give him credit for the issues he pushed. John Edwards was at the forefront of policy discussion from the beginning of the campaign until he ultimately bowed out.

It isn't as though this is a Larry Craig incidenct, either. It isn't like Edwards admitted to doing it, and then backed off with some weak excuse. Nor does Edwards hold any public office -- or did at the time of the affair. But, Edwards did a bad thing. And, considering I've been a strong Edwards backer for five years I'm crushed by it. I personally feel betrayed.

Do I give credit where I feel credit is due? Sure. And it doesn't matter if there's a 'D" or "R" behind the name ... or who the person is affiliated with. But, it takes a big wo/man to come out and admit to an affair, even in the face of mounting evidence.

But, way to play the partisan card.

I didn't diminish any of Edwards good deeds or past political accomplishments. All I'm saying is that I don't think he deserves any credit for telling the truth when he did so only after all the evidence was mounted against him. How the issue effects your thoughts on the man or his legacy or accomplishments are in the eye of the beholder. I just take issue with you saying he should be given credit because told the truth. The truth is he lied for at least 9 months about it and then admitted it after he was no longer going to be President or Vice President. It's basically what Hillary was telling people to be affraid of with Obama, a big issue that could come out and derail the campaign.

As a republican, I would be livid if McCain or whoever the canidate was, put the party at risk so selfishly. Yes, I know McCain cheated in the past, but as we come up to the election an issue that comes out of nowhere has the potential to be deadly. It would be like if McCain knew his cancer had reoccured and tried to hide it, knowing there was a risk it could get out, so he could try to be the nominee, knowing that if it got out, the party would certainly lose.

b1e9a8r5s
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Also, I believe there is more to this story than Edwards has admitted. I heard David Gergen say that "I'm sure there are people out there that believe John Edward's story, I just haven't talked to any of them" yesterday. So I think ultimately you are giving him credit for telling the truth, that isn't the complete truth. If you read about the money from Edwards as well as his PAC going to this women, I bet there will be more to this story.

DenButsu
08-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Well, unfortunately for Republicans, "straight" Republicans have a worse track record with gay male prostitutes than gay Democratic ones do.

Hell, at least ol' Barney there isn't repressing his sexuality like probably about 10% (or maybe 9%, if we generously allow for Log Cabin membership) of Republican politicians are - as they hypocritically condemn the lack of morality and family values in the Democratic Party. What a sham.

Max Power
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
This thread is awesome. Reminds me of all the class acts representing both of these great parties.