PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Grades

pebloemer
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
There has been much discussion on all of BC's moves this offseason but I am curious how people would grade those moves. I am not sure if a thread likes this has been started, I haven't found one when sifting through. This is the grade schema:

A: Exceptional
B: Good
C: Average
D: Pretty Bad
F: Fail

Be sure to include the financial impact of the move as well (length, duration of contract).

Jermaine Oneal and 2nd Round Pick for TJ Ford, 1st Round Pick, Rasho Nesterovic

Grade: B+

Reason: Last year when the voices were in force calling for a 20ppg wing slasher that can create his own shot, I always thought rebounding and toughness were a bigger problem. We had many assets going into the offseason and many options with what to do with those assets (Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw were a couple other options). From the options heard, I believe this was the best move to make. I don't doubt that it improves our team overall with the potential to have a very significant impact. Injury concerns worry me and the fact that we used three very valuable assets worried me as well, but players like JO are not easy to come by. We did get a second rounder in return too. Overall, I would say it was a very good move. The contract expires on a good year for the Raptors to make some moves.

Drafting and Signing Nathan Jawai

Grade: C+

Reason: It is hard to project what any player drafted in the second round would do. Almost everyone second round pick seems average to me to start. Jawai does however have plenty of upside and can join the roster right away. I'll add a plus for those reasons. One pick away from CDR; rough luck.

Signing Roko Ukic

Grade: C

Reason: Everyone expected it, a reasonable contract as everyone expected as well. Not much to evaluate here. On par with what any other GM would do - time to bring over a prospect and see how he does.

Signing Hassan Adams

Grade: B

Reason: BC has always liked to find the diamond in the rough. From everything I read, Adams got a rough break in being cut from the Nets. He brings toughness and athleticism, both areas the Raptors could work on. He receives his credit for his defense and hustle. A serviceable bench player who can contribute for a basement level price is a nice way to fill a hole.

Signing Will Solomon

Grade: C

Reason: Relatively unknown to me. Management needed a combo guard and they got one who has plenty of experience behind his name. I liked this move by BC. There were other combo guards available that have more NBA experience, but asking price may have been too much, or BC may have just liked Solomon better. Still, good roster fill.

Extending 2.7 million qualifying offer to Delfino

Grade: D

Reason: This really did not make a lot of sense to me. BC was hoping to clear up the log jam at the wing positions and he sent out a qualifying offer to a player who I felt was creating the log jam with his inconsistency. I loved Delfino's ability to foul hard and willingness to play defence, but I thought he killed the offensive flow. The offer was reasonable by NBA standards but far inferior to what he got over seas. I guess if things don't pan out we still have his rights.

Garbajosa Buyout

Grade: C-

Reason: I hate being stuck paying a player and reducing cap space on someone who is not even playing, but what was BC to do? Knowing that Garbo would not be playing or would play for Spain against teams wishes creates more friction. With everything that went on, both sides need a clean break. He is Jose's friend, why not just end things cleanly. The (-) was because I hate buying out players.

Jose Calderon Signing

Grade: B+

Reason: Everyone knew Calderon was being signed, but for so long and for such a modest price tag, we have a potential allstar locked up for relatively cheaper than he could have gotten elsewhere. We saved some money here in my opinion which gives us more room to pay other players.

blujaysrock
08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
good work man.

pebloemer
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM
good work man.

Thanks.

I forgot one though.

Letting Primoz Brezec Walk

Grade: A++

Reason: Not only was he useless on the court, always looking out of place, out of sync, his maturity off the court raised my eyebrows. Reports were that when Sam Vincent was fired as Bobcats coach, Brezec pumped in his fist in the air, so glad that he was fired. In the middle of a game or practice, he is drawing focus on that piece on information that is quite irrelevent to the Raptors. I always wondered what the other players on the team thought of him. So unprofessional, so useless for the team...

ink
08-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks.

I forgot one though.

Letting Primoz Brezec Walk

Grade: A++

Reason: Not only was he useless on the court, always looking out of place, out of sync, his maturity off the court raised my eyebrows. Reports were that when Sam Vincent was fired as Bobcats coach, Brezec pumped in his fist in the air, so glad that he was fired. In the middle of a game or practice, he is drawing focus on that piece on information that is quite irrelevent to the Raptors. I always wondered what the other players on the team thought of him. So unprofessional, so useless for the team...

Bummer. What am I going to do with my Brezec jersey now? ;)

--

Great thread peblo.

Bob_at_york
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Extending 2.7 million qualifying offer to Delfino

Grade: D

Reason: This really did not make a lot of sense to me. BC was hoping to clear up the log jam at the wing positions and he sent out a qualifying offer to a player who I felt was creating the log jam with his inconsistency. I loved Delfino's ability to foul hard and willingness to play defence, but I thought he killed the offensive flow. The offer was reasonable by NBA standards but far inferior to what he got over seas. I guess if things don't pan out we still have his rights.
The last line says it all. BC was convinced that Delfino would not take the qualifying offer so there was no risk in extending it. Having Delfino's rights can't hurt us.

star
08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
i would grade the garbo thing a HUGE F