PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the Stevie Franchise Era....

DreamShaker
08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Boy howdy did we ever suck....it was fun watching Stevie and he was an exciting player...but guys like Walt Williams, Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato, Oscar Torres, old man Glen Rice, Moochie, Juaquin Hawkins....those were some dark ages....kinda makes you appreciate the team we have now....even if we cant win a playoff series, even if Yao and T-Mac are injury prone sissies, even if Rafer Alston is our starting point guard....who cares? At least Mo Taylor and Juaquin Hawkins arent in our rotation....

But question is....what do you remember most about the Stevie and Cuttino years??

val_modus
08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
wasnt really a fan back then, but looks like Franchise was kinda exciting to watch

DreamShaker
08-08-2008, 01:37 PM
wasnt really a fan back then, but looks like Franchise was kinda exciting to watch

He was an exciting player....extremely exciting....he just couldnt get it done until Yao got there....

Manos
08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
What sticks out the most to me when I think of that era, was how Bill and Calvin would give all the crappy players on our team nicknames to make them sound like we had someone decent on the team. Like Sam Mack = Mac Truck (as in 'crashing the boards like a Mack Truck!') and Emanuel Davis = Email (as in 'another quick delivery by ....') So lame.

richardle9
08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
i remeber watching the rockets play the lakers in the first round of the playoffs in 2004, i was a huge laker fan back then, and franchise was amazing in that series

richardle9
08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
What sticks out the most to me when I think of that era, was how Bill and Calvin would give all the crappy players on our team nicknames to make them sound like we had someone decent on the team. Like Sam Mack = Mac Truck (as in 'crashing the boards like a Mack Truck!') and Emanuel Davis = Email (as in 'another quick delivery by ....') So lame.

haha thats pretty solid

bbinthepark
08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
... mo taylor, kelvin cato... those were some lousy teams we were watching. and not just the Rockets... the whole league was pretty lousy. it's unbelievable how high the overall talent level is in the NBA now compared to those days.

DreamShaker
08-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Remember that guy they called "Two Sandwiches"?? He was a fat pothead who didn't last long but that had to be the worst nickname....

DreamShaker
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
... mo taylor, kelvin cato... those were some lousy teams we were watching. and not just the Rockets... the whole league was pretty lousy. it's unbelievable how high the overall talent level is in the NBA now compared to those days.

Yeah....that was when everybody thought they could come straight out of high school and play no matter how unprepared....and when if you were 7 feet tall from a foreign country and had an impossible name to pronounce.,...you were seemingly an automatic lottery pick....

Jay22Redd
08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
The FRANCHISE ERA was fun to watch. I loved see Francis and Mobley play. It was exciting and the one that are going to say it wasnt lying. Everyone enjoyed to see the Rockets, atleast the Rocket Fans. Yeah, Francis ballhogged alot but it was still fun to see him cross his defender and go in for a dunk or catch that backdoor alley from Mobley and swing across the rim pointing at Mobley. It was fun!!!

DreamShaker
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
The FRANCHISE ERA was fun to watch. I loved see Francis and Mobley play. It was exciting and the one that are going to say it wasnt lying. Everyone enjoyed to see the Rockets, atleast the Rocket Fans. Yeah, Francis ballhogged alot but it was still fun to see him cross his defender and go in for a dunk or catch that backdoor alley from Mobley and swing across the rim pointing at Mobley. It was fun!!!

Yeah I loved watching Stevie and Mobley play and never missed a game....it sucked losing...but I still loved Stevie....

bbinthepark
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah I loved watching Stevie and Mobley play and never missed a game....it sucked losing...but I still loved Stevie....

agreed.

stevefrancis
08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
those games were fun to watch mobley throwing alley-oops to stevie and cato in every game. remember moochies game winner against the knicks and he jumped on the scorers table.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
it was awesome watching him play in his prime

{}
08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
...I couldn't stand watching small ball amateur hour with Mobley and Francis. Dawson overpaying every scrub in the league made me sick. Seeing Hakeem leave for Toronto to make room for Corky was enough to make me start following the Spurs. The only good to come from the Steve Francis era was Yao being drafted courtesy of how bad Francis and Mobley sucked in 2002.

Chronz
08-08-2008, 05:26 PM
They had a decent run in Dreams last year as a Rocket and Francis had the looks of being a dynamic PG for the next decade but after that 1 year he never was the same, he just kept dribbling the shot clock out and it wasnt until Yao showed up, that the team went anywhere again but by then it was Yao's team, maybe not vocally but he was their best player since day 1.

pippsux
08-08-2008, 06:15 PM
He was awesome in his prime and we where not that bad back then. The downfall of his career was the infamous Super Bowl party. He got traded the next season and was never been the same player. With Yao he was an all star, w/o he lost his game and injuries took a toll. I hope he can give us at least 1 year, if not he is a lesson to all young players.

SC1211
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
...I couldn't stand watching small ball amateur hour with Mobley and Francis. Dawson overpaying every scrub in the league made me sick. Seeing Hakeem leave for Toronto to make room for Corky was enough to make me start following the Spurs. The only good to come from the Steve Francis era was Yao being drafted courtesy of how bad Francis and Mobley sucked in 2002.

Pretty much what he said. We sucked.

richardle9
08-09-2008, 01:41 AM
think about we had a pretty sorry team

MADspartan
08-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Remember that guy they called "Two Sandwiches"?? He was a fat pothead who didn't last long but that had to be the worst nickname....

Yeah that was my favorite nickname too. His names Venson Hamilton: Here's the wiki link in case anyone cares . . . Venson Hamilton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venson_Hamilton)

Rhyming Rebel
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
You Have to admit Calvin Murphy was very entertaining on the sidelines with his colorful suits and razor sharp Edge up.

Tmac to da rack
08-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Good times, Good times! Those were my favorite moments when the Franchise was awesome, although our team sucked, They were extremely fun to watch, Francis to Cato Alley Oops where awesome, then Walt William the wizard knocking down 3's!

Brun"DMC"
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Alley-Hoops all day , it was fun and exciting basketball. Then when him and cat iced Yao Ming out of the ball they had to go. LOL

rocketfuel
08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
It just reminds me of how poor of a GM Dawson had become. Those were some garbage overpaid players he brought in. Morey has done a way better job in only a few years. Stevie is fun to watch though. I hope he makes a comeback and becomes the unexpected story of the season.

val_modus
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
ya ill really be pulling for the guy, hope he comes back and proves everyone wrong just as this team will