PDA

View Full Version : Wade would bolt to Europe too

MiamiHeat
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
"It's the sudden wave of players bolting the league to play basketball overseas. "They throw 30, 40, 50 million a year at me? I can't turn that down," said Heat star Dwyane Wade, a free agent in 2010. Arizona Republic"

source: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/08/08/20080808bickley0808.html

Hope it wont happen this will suck:mad:

BALLER71
08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Imagine if Kobe, Wade, and Lebron all went overseas...

MiamiHeat
08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Imagine if Kobe, Wade, and Lebron all went overseas...

CP3 will love that :cool:

danbola
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
With the kind of money being talked about, can you blame them? Either they make 20mil dollars here, or 50 mil euro over there. Easy call in my eyes. 1 euro = 1.53 dollars.

ATX
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Not to get political, but as long as the idiot keeps F*ing up our US economy, this trend will continue. The Euro dollar is worth about 1.67 to the US dollar, and it will probably only get worse. Hell, the British and Scottish Pound is about 2.05 to the dollar....It's so frustrating. Interest in basketball is growing very fast in Europe and with a much stronger economy those countries can afford to pay players more than we can here in the US. Sux, but it's true...

DQL
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
:pity:

Dirty money

greek miami hea
08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
CP3 will love that :cool:

lmao

fins08
08-08-2008, 04:58 PM
If that happens, the salary cap has to be gone!

_Sn1P3r_
08-08-2008, 10:43 PM
That would suck if he did.

jgray305
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
The answer is simple... ban players, who defect, for two years.

ATX
08-09-2008, 12:13 AM
The answer is simple... ban players, who defect, for two years.

haha, I like that...However, that is as unrealistic as Kobe and Shaq sharing a hot tub. :D

jrodmesche
08-09-2008, 12:48 AM
i like that idea to

Sports Illustrator
08-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Don't forget that this is all talk. Whether players like Wade really mean what they said or not, that is a whole different story. Saying they'll take a $30-$50 million dollar offer and actually doing it are completely different. Their likely just thinking about the adventure, but not that they mean it.

If Dwyane Wade, Lebron James or Kobe Bryant are looking for long term security, then neither of them will be going to Europe. They may have the ability to offer one player $50 mill for 1 season, but they can't do it for every season. Where will the money come from? The money made in European basketball is not close to the money being made in the NBA. Its also not like any European team has offered that amount to any player as of yet.

fins08
08-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Makes sense SI.

Rolla
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Don't forget that this is all talk. Whether players like Wade really mean what they said or not, that is a whole different story. Saying they'll take a $30-$50 million dollar offer and actually doing it are completely different. Their likely just thinking about the adventure, but not that they mean it.

If Dwyane Wade, Lebron James or Kobe Bryant are looking for long term security, then neither of them will be going to Europe. They may have the ability to offer one player $50 mill for 1 season, but they can't do it for every season. Where will the money come from? The money made in European basketball is not close to the money being made in the NBA. Its also not like any European team has offered that amount to any player as of yet.

Thanks for the comfort SI. Now i will be able to sleep tonight:)

greek miami hea
08-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the comfort SI. Now i will be able to sleep tonight:)

lmao. to wades staying in miami heat :cheers:

_Supreme_
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Actually I'm not sure how much you are aware of the amounts of money that could potentially be spend here, or at least underestimate it severely.

If you take Panathinaikos for example, the football club and basketball club have a joint board of shareholders lead by the owners of both (soccer and basketball) divisions. As a whole Panathinaikos has a revenue of about $1.2 Billion . I think Panathinaikos also just has a new tv deal which makes them about $50M for the basketball division.

It's up to the owners to decide how much of the money they want to allocate to the basketball, the soccer etc. Like the Mavs are to Cuban most of these teams are like toys to their owners.

Basketball is extremely popular in countries like Greece, Turkey and other (mainly) Southern and Eastern European countries, and star players (in sports in general) are considered like Gods almost. The fan interest is there too, without any question. Merchandise alone would probably make up for most of a $50M salary.

Some other similar big European (basketball) clubs are: Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, CSKA, Efes Pilsen, Fenerbahce, Milano, Dynamo Moscow, Olympiakos and Khimki. There are a few more.

Only a few of those clubs are willing to pay the big money for players right now, but the trend of spending more and more money on players has only been growing, and the number of those clubs spending the money is also growing as we speak.

Imo it's only a matter of time before the first major NBA star bolts for one of these teams writing them a seemingly insane paycheck. You can't blame the player either. In just 1 year he would make the amount of money he would make in 3 years in the NBA taking taxes and not having any into account. I don't think giving them a 2 year deal for that much would be a problem either, which means a 2 year contract here would be basically the same as a 5 or 6 year contract in the US. How's that for long term security?

So now we have to wait and see if the European club owners decide to spend the cash in the upcoming years. If they do the NBA could be in very serious trouble because there is no way they can compete financially.

jgray305
08-09-2008, 09:41 PM

Where would the teams get the money? The same place the NBA does.Fans, T.V deals, merchandise etc. TNT, ABC would start broadcasting European basketball instead of NBA games. Sports Authority, DICKS etc. would sell European jerzies. Right now, the NBA has a monopoly on the best players. Why? Because the NBA has been around forever, just like say for instance, the U.S postal service. But with the advent of Fed Ex, UPS, E-mail etc. The Post office is becoming a dinasour, like the NBA. Truth be told, I couldn't even tell tou how much a stamp cost, it's been so long. If all the best players left the NBA to go play wherever, that is what you would watch. When all the best highschool prospects went straight to the NBA, I stopped watching college ball, what was the purpose?