PDA

View Full Version : Giles blocks trade to Red Sox

yaowowrocket11
08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that Brian Giles will use his no-trade clause to block a potential deal to the Red Sox.
Boston claimed Giles off waivers and had 48 hours to work out a deal with San Diego, but he has the right to block a trade to eight teams and the Red Sox are one of them. Aug. 8 - 1:12 pm et

Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=246334&id=2179)

Shaiza
08-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I guess he doesn't want to play for a winning team.

JimmyMal450
08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Alright, have fun playing for the 27 games below .500 Padres.

McJoe
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
if the Pads let him go then Giles wont be able to have anything to say about it...lol

KmB728
08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
atleast the Rays didnt get him

bruschifan54
08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
He probably wanted to play full-time or something.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Here's what I don't understand.

The Sox are giving him a chance to play for a winning team, a chance to win a ring. After October, they'll decline his option and if he wants to stay in San Diego he can, no problem, they'd probably like to have him back.

I guess there's something about Boston he just doesn't like, as the only teams on his no trade list are Boston, TB, Detroit, and a few others who, at the time he signed his deal, were very bad teams, while the Sox were a good one. What is it about that town he hates?

yaowowrocket11
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Here's what I don't understand.

The Sox are giving him a chance to play for a winning team, a chance to win a ring. After October, they'll decline his option and if he wants to stay in San Diego he can, no problem, they'd probably like to have him back.

I guess there's something about Boston he just doesn't like, as the only teams on his no trade list are Boston, TB, Detroit, and a few others who, at the time he signed his deal, were very bad teams, while the Sox were a good one. What is it about that town he hates?

He wants to play full time, I guess. I don't blame him, staying in his hometown with his family.

Tankjeep
08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
^yeah but he didn't have the yankees on the list, right? how does that make sense? oh well.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
probably a yankee fan lol

-Lavigne43-
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Not really surprising. Before the trade deadline he said he did not want to leave San Diego

Osiagledknarf
08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah this doesn't really bother me that much. He's been in the league a long time and has certainly earned the right he just exercised. Plus I understand he's got young daughters in San Diego and he wants to stay close to them...you can't really blame a guy for taking his kids into consideration. He's not a bad guy and I wish him luck.

Aside from that...it's debatable how much of an upgrade he'd really be at this point. Let's just hope Lowell pulls through here.

Tragedy
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I didn't think we'd work out a trade anyways.

He's a FA to be, and he's trying to get himself another good contract. The best way to do that is to play daily, which he would not have done here. I can't exactly blame him.

Sportfan
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
does anyone know what we offered the padres?

Osiagledknarf
08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I wonder if we even go to the point of offering anything.

TDbank24
08-08-2008, 09:23 PM
That's okay, if Brian doesn't want to win a championship like Dikembe didn't want to with the Celtics. Fine by me

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-08-2008, 11:53 PM
have fun playing on a losing team.

redsox12
08-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I read he vetoed because he didn't want to upset his family. If true then I respect him for putting his family over winning.

kazzy4080
08-09-2008, 01:30 AM
I read he vetoed because he didn't want to upset his family. If true then I respect him for putting his family over winning.

:clap:

Dirty Dirk41
08-09-2008, 02:30 AM

His family should understand that his current team is pretty much playing for JACK SQUAT and that although coming to Boston doesnt mean automatic ring, atleast the ball games will mean something. j/k :D

Ive liked Giles since he was jacking homers for the Pirates. He isnt that player anymore but would have liked to see em on the sox.

RedSoxtober
08-09-2008, 04:52 PM
The team had only preliminary talks with San Diego and Kevin Towers about it before Giles said he wasn't interested in being traded. The outfielder is very comfortable in San Diego, and didn't want to leave a good situation, both because he likes the area and because he likes the playing time.

Source: Boston Globe

WilymoPena
08-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah he's in his twilight years, loves SD, and has had a pretty darn good career since beginning with the Indians all those years ago. If he wants to stay put, let him its debatable how much of an improvement or use ( if any) he would have had even if he had come to Bos. He's definitely not better than Drew, Bay, Ellsbury at this point and he doesn't offer the D of Coco so he's essentially useless to us as an OF, and we have PAPI at DH with a backup DH of Lowell, Youk, Casey on any given night. Have fun in the sun Brian