PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the East

IndyFan
08-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Saw this and thought you might like to see it.

Ranking the East - Hoops World

The Boston Celtics returned the NBA Championship to the Eastern Conference and this summer teams are making moves to keep it there. HOOPSWORLD takes a look at the power rankings in the East with its current rosters.

1. Boston Celtics:

2. Cleveland Cavaliers:

3. Detroit Pistons:

4. Philadelphia 76ers: Many counted the 76ers out before the start of last season only to find the fiery running team making a legitimate run at the postseason. With Elton Brand in Philadelphia the question is no longer if they will make the playoffs, but what seed they will earn. If the 76ers can bring Andre Iguodala back -- which head coach Mo Cheeks is confident they will do -- this team is poised to make one of the biggest turnarounds in the league next season.

5. Toronto Raptors:

6. Orlando Magic:

7. Washington Wizards:

8. Indiana Pacers:

9. Miami Heat:

10. Atlanta Hawks:

11. Charlotte Bobcats:

12. Chicago Bulls:

13. Milwaukee Bucks:

14. New Jersey Nets:

15. New York Knicks:

Hoops World (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9710)

:)

DaddyCool
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I thought this would be a flame thread but, yea I've already read this before. Whatever, thanks!

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
cleveland at number 2?

philly, toronto, orlando, boston and detroit are all significantly better than the cavs.

im not even 100% sure cleveland can make the playoffs. seriously. i think chicaco AND miami will be better than cleveland this season.

Liney3506
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Give the Cavs a chance to mesh. Besides, anything is possible when you have LeBron on your team. They live and die by how he plays. If he's playing MVP caliber ball, they have a shot to be very good.

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
no they dont. the cavs, as they are currently constructed, have no chance to be anything more than a 50-win team and a 2nd round playoff elimination. thats best case scenario with them.

PhillySportFan
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
They have LeBron, he'll carry them to atleast 35-40 wins.

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
well i was giving them more credit than just 40 wins.....but they have no chance to really compete.

lebrons not kobe bryant or MJ..... the difference between lebron and those two is much bigger than everyone realizes.

FNM BOY
08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Whas the difference between Kobe and Lebron??? The only...and said only thing Kobe has over Lebron is consisten Jump shot...other than there is nothin spectacualr about Kobe Bryant....Jordan is on a level by himself! Kobe has not done anything spectacular in LA other than hog for one game and score 81 points...He has yet to win a ring since Shaq left. Kobe has been to 5 championships and won 3...Shaq was the MVP all 3 times.....I don see why Kobe gets all this praise and has yet to prove he can do it "all by himself"....as he broke up a dynasty to try to prove...Lerbon is just as good as Kobe..and If Lebron had Shaq back then the results would be the same. END OF STORY!

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 04:34 PM
just because kobe doesnt have a ring without shaq doesnt take away from the fact that he has 3 rings.

and there is a huge difference between kobe and lebron. its not in the numbers. its in the way they play. and kobe is a great perimeter defender...lebron isnt even good.

FNM BOY
08-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Whatever you have your opinion I have mine...Lebron's game is just as good.

Difference between Bryant and James....

James never had the support Kobe had...but still took a very lousy team to the finals.

James never broke up a dynasty asking to be the face of the franchise....then after things didn't work out cry for a trade or cry out for help.

James takes his licks like a real man..a.nd doesnt B I T C H or belittle his teammates......

I know u prefer Kobe over James...but for me..I would take James anyday. FOr me!

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 04:55 PM
u take james...ill take kobe.

i enjoy winning....apparently u dont.

FNM BOY
08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
what has Kobe won lately??? Making it to the finals...hahahah thats like winning the Lotto but you can't find your ticket to cash it...PLEASE!! hahahaha...anyway back to the topic....we should be ranked at least #3 in the East

FlyHigh
08-08-2008, 05:00 PM
LeBron making the Finals in the East isn't a huge accomplishment, you really think the Cavs would have beaten the Suns in 05-06 or 06-07? Let alone the Spurs or the Mavs.

AirJordanXVIII
08-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Celtics
PISTONS
SIXERS
RAPTORS
CAVS

Cavs do not earn a #2 power ranking.

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Celtics
PISTONS
SIXERS
RAPTORS
CAVS

Cavs do not earn a #2 power ranking.

you forgot about orlando...theyre better than the cavs.

AirJordanXVIII
08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Maybe. Orlando has Dwight, Lewis, and Hedo. Nothing other than that... The Cavs at least have LeBron with a decent Big Z.

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
jameer nelson? mickael pietrus?

they have more firepower from all angles than the cavs. howard isnt too far off from lebron. hes already the best center in basketball.

Sixerlover
08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Boobie > Jameer and Mike Peitrus is a role player at best. Not saying I like the Cavs more than the Magic, but I don't want to hype average players.

Sixerlover
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
u take james...ill take kobe.

i enjoy winning....apparently u dont.

Dumb statement. What have you done for me lately? Since LeBron has come into the NBA, and Kobe lost the #3 Center of all time (who was in his Prime BTW. #3 center in history in his prime.. Yikes) neither has a ring.

BChydro86
08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
stilt, russell, dream, shaq....number 4, but i get ur point.

Sixerlover
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh you're right, but I have a different 3.

Wilt, Dream, Kareem, Shaq, Russell

maybe because I haven't seen much film on him. I just don't see him being a great individual player. Yeah I know the 10 rings thing, but with Wilt, Kareem, Dream and Shaq I see dominance when I see them in their prime. I don't see that with Russell

I could be crazy.

AutomaticWeezy
08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I dont think chicago is gonna be that good this year, They havent changed their team this off season, and the only significant new player is D Rose. And he is a rookie.

I do think the Cavs are gonna be good this year, I Would have them at 3 behind Detroit and Boston. With Orlando at 4.

And I am probably the only one who thinks this but I think the wizards are gonna be just as good as us this year, Look at how their team played last year without Etan Thomas and Gilbert.

I know everyone hates him but he is an all star and can score from anywhere on the court. He is a perfect fit in Eddie Jordan's system.

After Us and the Wiz at 5 and 6 Toronto is 7 and it is a toss up for 8 between Indy, and the Bucks.

Shieldsz
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
jameer nelson? mickael pietrus?

they have more firepower from all angles than the cavs. howard isnt too far off from lebron. hes already the best center in basketball.

how is he the best center in basketball right now. He won the dunk contest and everyone praises him. He needs to show me more than 1 season for him to claim that name.

AirJordanXVIII
08-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Howard is so overrated. Yes he is basically a 20-15 guy and blocks 2 shots.... but yea that's about it. He dunks a lot and get's the highlight reel. NOt the best center IMO. Amare Stoudimire is. Amare shoots great from the line and has a really good mid range jumper... Depends though if you see Amare as a center.

Amare > Howard IMO.

AirJordanXVIII
08-08-2008, 11:44 PM
how is he the best center in basketball right now. He won the dunk contest and everyone praises him. He needs to show me more than 1 season for him to claim that name.

I think he is proven. But what he does is so overrated. BChydro praises his numbers, when all his points are dunks (cough Josh Smith cough), and he shoots HORRIBLY from the line.

FNM BOY
08-09-2008, 01:15 AM
^^Thats the clear double standards and bias views of Hydro.

phils07
08-09-2008, 01:48 AM
u guys have these ridiculous negative player biases for no reason.

lebron is really good. dwight is really good. the cavs as currently constructed are just not a good team. LeBron is a sight to see (possibly MVP every year and is one more defensive improving year away from being better than Kobe). but his team is bad, probably the worst supporting cast in nba history for a player of his caliber.

my rankings by team quality not by win total are:
1. celtics
2. sixers (my own bias showing. buttttttttttttt... were really god damn good.)
3. orlando (if dwight somehow makes another step in development, they could easily win the conference)
4. detroit
5. toronto (pending health)
6. washington
7. cleveland
8. atlanta

Sixerlover
08-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I think he is proven. But what he does is so overrated. BChydro praises his numbers, when all his points are dunks (cough Josh Smith cough), and he shoots HORRIBLY from the line.

But at the same time J.Smith is a 3. You want your 3 having some kind of outside game because he should at least have a serviceable J to spread the court. A center getting most of his points off of dunks and in the paint is what is supposed to be happening. Dwight gets all those dunks because he is so strong and pushes the defender to where he wants them to go.

He's a top 2 C IMO with Yao. They both have a good argument for #1.

FNM BOY
08-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah thats a good point SL.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Boobie > Jameer and Mike Peitrus is a role player at best. Not saying I like the Cavs more than the Magic, but I don't want to hype average players.

that is the most obnoxious thing u have ever said.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 07:41 PM

whos better than him?

if u say yao ming i will scream bloody muder.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 07:44 PM

yeah...dominating the offense on the 3rd best team in the east last season is sooooo overrated. and being one of the top rebounders in basketball is overrated too. fact is dwight howard is a physical force in the paint every night.

centers arent supposed to be able to shoot. well when they can its a bonus, but who really cares?

if josh smith could dominate a game the way d. howard does every night. i wouldnt have a problem with him.

txravis12
08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
ok to go back to page one.. lebron > kobe

shaq is the second best center of all time, as well as the 2nd most dominate player to ever play the game.

wilt is the only guy who was ever more dominant its that simple

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
ok to go back to page one.. lebron > kobe

shaq is the second best center of all time, as well as the 2nd most dominate player to ever play the game.

wilt is the only guy who was ever more dominant its that simple

1. Kobe Bryant is a better player then lebron james, he is a better scorer and defender, once lebron gets a jumpshot in his arsenal, then we can discuss this topic. Until then it is def Kobe.
2. Shaq is in the top 5, but not the second best ever. In order here are 4 better centers then Shaq. Bill Russell, Kareem Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlin, Karl Malone.
3. I won't even go into that, shaq isn't agressive just because he has career numbers that make your eye's go big. There are 100000 more aggressive or just as aggressive players as shaq.

Sixerlover
08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
2. Shaq is in the top 5, but not the second best ever. In order here are 4 better centers then Shaq. Bill Russell, Kareem Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlin, Karl Malone.

Disagree with Bill Russell, Karl Malone was a PF.

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 09:26 PM
russell is a legend, he defined the center position, nice call on the malone thing, but i still think he is a better big.

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
russell is a legend, he defined the center position, nice call on the malone thing, but i still think he is a better big.

There is no way that Malone is better then Shaq. Plus it's hard to compare when they didn't play the same position.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 10:10 PM

did u mean dream? hakeem olajuan was better than shaq. its not dreams fault he didnt win more rings...there was way more competition in the 90s.

also, karl malone was a power forward...and a fraud.

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 10:11 PM
magic johnson too

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
magic johnson too

magic johnson is easily top 10 at every position in basketball. except maybe 2-guard.

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 10:14 PM
i would put him in top 10 for sg

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 10:14 PM
did u mean dream? hakeem olajuan was better than shaq. its not dreams fault he didnt win more rings...there was way more competition in the 90s.

also, karl malone was a power forward...and a fraud.

How was he a fraud? he was a great player.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
How was he a fraud? he was a great player.

he played with the second best PG of all time. he thrived off john stocktons greatness. if it werent for john stockton karl malone would have been very good, but he wouldnt have been great. its realistic to take about 5-8ppg off every season hes played if he didnt have stockton.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 10:18 PM
i would put him in top 10 for sg

he wasnt a great shooter or a scorer.

i mean...he could do it when he needed to, probably better than almost anybody...so i guess ur right.

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 10:21 PM
he played with the second best PG of all time. he thrived off john stocktons greatness. if it werent for john stockton karl malone would have been very good, but he wouldnt have been great. its realistic to take about 5-8ppg off every season hes played if he didnt have stockton.

I can not agree with you i think with or without Stockton he would have been the same play he was. We will never know!

Sixerlover
08-09-2008, 10:21 PM

I don't think that makes him a fraud. You can't help who you play with. What should he of done demanded a trade to prove that he can score on his own?

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Thats like saying could Jordan done it without Pippen.

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 10:26 PM
ok....i hate karl malone as a person. so it clouds my judgement, ill admit to this one. karl malone is one of the worst human beings in professional sports. seriously.

and as far as power forwards go....tim duncan, kevin garnett, charles barkely, and shawn kemp (in his prime) were all better than karl malone. and those are just guys from the modern era.

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 10:29 PM
ok....i hate karl malone as a person. so it clouds my judgement, ill admit to this one. karl malone is one of the worst human beings in professional sports. seriously.

and as far as power forwards go....tim duncan, kevin garnett, charles barkely, and shawn kemp (in his prime) were all better than karl malone. and those are just guys from the modern era.

LOL so it all comes out:D:D

BChydro86
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
all of it? karl malone is the only NBA player i hate on a personal level. just because of all the shady things hes done.

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 10:42 PM
all of it? karl malone is the only NBA player i hate on a personal level. just because of all the shady things hes done.

I don't follow what shady things?

phils07
08-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Karl Malone basically has a lot of kids and i think he doesnt acknowledge that they are his.

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
^^^ Thats right i forgot

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 11:24 PM
haah how do you forget that, when i have kids i will love them to death

GSW fan
08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
how do 6xers pass orlando, washington and toronto

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
It's not that hard look how many player have alot of kids

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 11:43 PM

are you being serious? if so here is our roster compared just to make you look very, very noobish at basketball. We are better then Washington and Toronto, orlando is the only one who is close too us.

Andre Miller>Jameer Nelson
Andre Iguodala>Keith Bogans
Thaddeus Young<Rashard Lewis
Elton Brand>Hedo Turkoglu
Samuel Dalembert<Dwight Howard
Louis Williams> JJ redick
Kareem Rush> Tony Battie
Willie Green> Courtney Lee
Reggie Evans> Marcin Gortat
Royal Ivey> Anthony Johnson
Maareese Speights>Courtney Lee

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2008, 12:33 AM
^^ I think you slipped that Willie > Lee one. :D

I'd take Courtney Lee over Willi any day.

BADizzleBoY
08-10-2008, 12:38 AM
meh lol

Sixerlover
08-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Lemme see Lee against NBA level talent though.

BADizzleBoY
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
sl i think he was kidding

phillychi009
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM

What did Toronto do last year and what have they done in the offseason nothing. Washington is Washington agent 0 is a big zero in the playoffs they have the same team that has not got it done in 3-4 years and lets face it there didn't get better this offseason. Orlando is the only team that you could say maybe better but lets face it they are only better at center and maybe at SF with Lewis but last year he play PF alot of the time and, if thats the case he is not better then Brand. So as for me we are the best out of those teams, look at what we did last year, now look at what we added thgis offseason. Need i say more.

BChydro86
08-10-2008, 10:19 AM

well, washington isnt that good. we are already better than them with elton brand on board. same thing goes with cleveland (even though u didnt mention them). washington did nothing to improve their roster this offseason....they are clearly very content being a 48-win team at best.

toronto could be VERY VERY good if jermain o'neal can still play (which i think he can) that is a close match up. but toronto has almost no depth, and they have no quality perimeter players outside of jason kapono, but hes just a shooter.

orlando has a lot of weaknesses, and if their jumpshots arent falling then all wed have to worry about is dwight howard (no small task). but, like howard, orlando has NOBODY who can defend elton brand, and our defense is way better than orlando's D. i think we could have the edge in this matchup as well.

people still dont seem to realize just how good elton brand is.

ninerfan609
08-10-2008, 10:31 AM
sixers (if they keep iggy) should be a top 4. if somehow someone signs him, and we dont match, i say 6th or 7th seed.

BChydro86
08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
no one can sign him. the only team that can afford him is memphis and they wont make an offer.

the worst case scenario is if he signs the one year offer.....and that means he'll still be playing for that next contract. so we'll have iggy in top form for next season.

phillychi009
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
well, washington isnt that good. we are already better than them with elton brand on board. same thing goes with cleveland (even though u didnt mention them). washington did nothing to improve their roster this offseason....they are clearly very content being a 48-win team at best.

toronto could be VERY VERY good if jermain o'neal can still play (which i think he can) that is a close match up. but toronto has almost no depth, and they have no quality perimeter players outside of jason kapono, but hes just a shooter.

orlando has a lot of weaknesses, and if their jumpshots arent falling then all wed have to worry about is dwight howard (no small task). but, like howard, orlando has NOBODY who can defend elton brand, and our defense is way better than orlando's D. i think we could have the edge in this matchup as well.

I think he can still play too, he may not be the same but he'll still be good. Who do you think will play center O'neal or bosh.

BChydro86
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
o'neal. hes been playing center his entire career and nobody seemed to notice because they called him a "power forward"

phillychi009
08-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I still am not sure that o'neals legs will hold up. If they do he will add a lot to that team.

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
no one can sign him. the only team that can afford him is memphis and they wont make an offer.

the worst case scenario is if he signs the one year offer.....and that means he'll still be playing for that next contract. so we'll have iggy in top form for next season.

You never know.. THey made an offer for Smith out of nowhere.

phillychi009
08-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Ya but the smith offer was about 12-15 less the Iggy wants.

BChydro86
08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
if iggy would accept the 5 year $58million offer that smith got....we wouldnt have this problem.

BADizzleBoY
08-11-2008, 01:13 AM
haha good point hydro

MooseWithFleas
08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd put orlando above raptors and cavs. Sixers could also easily be 2 with the pistons getting old

AirJordanXVIII
08-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Maybe. Only is Billups, Rip, or Wallace goes down.

boston08champs
08-11-2008, 11:22 PM
yo man cleveland cavaliers don't even exist anymore its Lebron and company.

AutomaticWeezy
08-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Im not sure how many wins they had last year, but they were playing without their best overall player, and a good defender/rebounder and they still had a better record than us last year. This year they have both of them back, their playing under the same system and for the same coach. They already have chemistry, where still have to develop it.

So with that said i dont see how anyone can be so confident that we will be better than them.

BChydro86
08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
caron butler is their best overall player. gilbert is their best scorer.

the wizards are not a good team. and gilbert will make them worse because of his erratic play, and piss poor defense.

phillychi009
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
^^ I think they could do better without Gilbert.

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2008, 01:14 PM
of course they could, look what happened last season

AirJordanXVIII
08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Stop hating Gilbert. Dont blame the guy for being a big mouth. He has his cash, asnd he scores 25 ppg. Keep trash talking him, but he's gonna have a more sucessful life than all of us.

I Am Beast 19
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I see the sixers contending with Boston, and I feel like Detroit won't even be a problem for us, the teams that were at the top last year will not be there this year except for a few, I don't know if people really understand how good Brand is (specially playing in the tougher west coast) but an improving line-up from last year and Brand alone I think puts us in the top 3

Sixerlover
08-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Good to see some optimistic people here :)

I Am Beast 19
08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, honestly im not trying to go to far at all when I say, im not claiming the sixers the best in the East YET? but there is honestly no one in the East that scares me, I really honestly and truly think the sixers will be able to beat anybody, and yeah im talkin Play-offs already!

FNM BOY
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Playoffs no doubt!!!...And People have surely forgotten how good Brand is....hahaha..If he put up those numbers in the WEst...what will he do in the East healthy and with a point to prove!!!

Fred
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
#3 seed....but, still some minor work to do....

JtotheMurphy
08-12-2008, 08:15 PM
2 or 3 this year. They need to gel and there are definitely some major changes from last year. Chemistry was the most important thing this team had. They played like a team and got along. Not that we're looking at a completely renovated team, 80% of the starting lineup is intact (that is if you let Willie play at all), but things take time. Year #2 is the year we're dropping fecal material on opponents faces from far above.

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Stop hating Gilbert. Dont blame the guy for being a big mouth. He has his cash, asnd he scores 25 ppg. Keep trash talking him, but he's gonna have a more sucessful life than all of us.

I am allen iverson! How many times to I have to tell you?

txravis12
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
honestly were the 2nd team.. but its close lets look at the celtics and us..

rondo<miller
allen>>>>green
pierce>iggy
K.G.=brand
perkins<<sammy D

its not that far off to say we have the ability to beat them in 7 games... im getting more and more excited for this season

boston08champs
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
kg = brand is crazy, kg will eat him, word to mutha.

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
shut up and go away

txravis12
08-13-2008, 07:23 AM

we'll see how far your plus 35 yr old team goes ok???

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 11:31 AM

KG is good don't get me wrong but without Ray and Paul he would be just what he was in Minnesota (a first round playoff choke).

FNM BOY
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I think most stars would be like that...without 2 all stars and future hall of famers to support them...Just ask Kobe about it...EVERYONE NEEDS HELP....This is not GOLF!!!

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Thats why basketball is a TEAM sport

FNM BOY
08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
^Precisely my point!

Westbrook36
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Kevin Garnett is better then Elton Brand tho..Dosnt matter what team hes on, He still is the DPOY and a Mega Superstar..Elton is not too far back but yeah Garnett def is better

Westbrook36
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
KG is good don't get me wrong but without Ray and Paul he would be just what he was in Minnesota (a first round playoff choke).

Well Kevin Garnett is one of my Fav Players..I dont care what team he plays on hes a Stand up guy and is better then Brand, I seriously cant see how you could say what you just did when Brand hasnt done much either? Hes not a Playoff Choke, he just didnt have the parts around him. Hes a Mega Superstar.

MylesKong
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
We're gonna ****ing smash the East!!!

DR.J9
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
:rock:

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
^^Ya this is going to be a great year.

AirJordanXVIII
08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Garnett is better than Brand, but he wouldnt smash him...

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Not so sure KG will be the better player this year his age may catch up with him.