PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies sign Josh Smith to offer sheet

king4day
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
The Grizzlies have signed Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith to a $58 million offer sheet, according to Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Edge. No word yet on the length of the offer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NBA&hl=99585

LakerzDQ
08-08-2008, 10:42 AM
so, 58 million, 4 years? or 5 years? guess we'll have to see.

if Grizzlies get him, that'll be pretty sweet. Rudy Gay+Josh Smith are both very talented and athletic players.

Mike Conley
OJ Mayo
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith
Marc Gasol

not bad at all.

I wonder if the hawks will match.

king4day
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Not sure how reliable the source is but I'm sure it's true.

To me the offer is too low for the Hawks not to match.

JIDsanity
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
:speechless:

sixers247
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
If the Hawks don't match this they might as well not even put a team on the court this year. Losing Childress and Smith would be devastating.

Dirty Dirk41
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Not a bad team at All......they could have a pretty nice future

PG-O.J Mayo/Conley/Lowry.Crittenton
SG-Rudy Gay/Jaric
SF-J.Smith/Antoine Walker
PF-Hakim Warrick/D.Arthur
C-Darko/Gasol

MiamiHeat
08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
wow:speechless:
this was a suprise lol Grizzlies came out of nowhere

Dirty Dirk41
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
wow:speechless:
this was a suprise lol Grizzlies came out of nowhere

Def a surprise...but hell the Griz HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!! look at that roster. Im sure the Hawks will match although Smith has said he wants out of ATL because of problems he has/had with coach M.Woodson. maybe they just let him go to Memphis

LakerzDQ
08-08-2008, 11:07 AM

SG-Rudy Gay/Jaric
C-Darko/Gasol

it'd be a waste to have Conley, Lowry, AND Crittenton on the bench. Conley definitely has potential to be a special player, and Lowry and Crittenton are future starting players.
If they got Josh Smith, I'd either go small with Conley as PG and J Smith as PF, or trade one of their talented PG's for a good C.

IndiansFan337
08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
The Hawks will match that. This is exactly what they wanted. They didn't want to give him $70 million, like Deng & Okafor got.

And this is exactly what he's worth. Smith is going to be paid accordingly. He's a very good player. But if he's your #1 option, you are in trouble. Therefore, he should not be paid like a #1 option.

The problem with this is that the Grizzlie are already small with Conley/Mayo as the G's. They need to desperately add a dominant rebounding C if they do somehow land Smith.

Chicagofaithful
08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
jeez....

North Yorker
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Man if the Grizz get him then they would have one of the most athletic line-ups in the league.

Dirty Dirk41
08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
it'd be a waste to have Conley, Lowry, AND Crittenton on the bench. Conley definitely has potential to be a special player, and Lowry and Crittenton are future starting players.
If they got Josh Smith, I'd either go small with Conley as PG and J Smith as PF, or trade one of their talented PG's for a good C.

i agree. I Just dont think Smith is a legit PF. I think he could excel much more at the SF position. They need to somehow trade a PG or 2 for another big...They have to. Darko isnt the truth like DETROIT thought and Gasol "may" be good but he hasnt done anything yet.

JIDsanity
08-08-2008, 11:12 AM
The Hawks will match that. This is exactly what they wanted. They didn't want to give him $70 million, like Deng & Okafor got.

And this is exactly what he's worth. Smith is going to be paid accordingly. He's a very good player. But if he's your #1 option, you are in trouble. Therefore, he should not be paid like a #1 option.

The problem with this is that the Grizzlie are already small with Conley/Mayo as the G's. They need to desperately add a dominant rebounding C if they do somehow land Smith.
Not 100% sure the Hawks would match it, because we don't know the length of the contract. If it's short, then ATL fans can kiss Smith good by, if it's long then they will match

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
They'll match. They have to. They've known about how many teams are interested in him. If anything, they work a sign and trade just to get something in return.

MiamiHeat
08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
they are still in the west they are a 8-10 seed team at best

Thatruth32
08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
atl will match it...

innovator
08-08-2008, 11:23 AM
if the hawks match it does that mean hawks get josh smith?? or josh smith will decide where he wants to go?

AgentViet
08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Hmm, unexpected to see the Grizz make a run at an FA out of the random. I'm suspecting this is a 4 year deal, but the Hawks should match it. Yet, I get the change feeling the Hawks will cheapen out of it.

THE MTL
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I dont think it is a 4yr deal. Because that would be 15 million dollar a year contract! Memphis would never give up that much money. It is def. 5yr which puts average salary at 11.5 million. Anyway, Hawks better match it. They have no reason not to match the deal.

pwest6
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
If this goes down,Memphis has just passed Portland for the team of the future.

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
PG Mike Conley
SG O.J. Mayo
SF Rudy Gay
PF Josh Smith
C Marc Gasol

What a lineup ... watch out Portland

oldenpolynice
08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I dont think it is a 4yr deal. Because that would be 15 million dollar a year contract! Memphis would never give up that much money. It is def. 5yr which puts average salary at 11.5 million. Anyway, Hawks better match it. They have no reason not to match the deal.

Yeah, it has to be a 5-year deal. Hawks were offering as low as $9 mill/year earlier. This offer sheet will make them up that to almost $12 mill. Good for J-Smoove. Not for the Hawks' front office.

Something tells me that this is just Memphis' way of jacking up the price that ATL has to pay. The Hawks will definitely match.

mojoaf4
08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
The hwaks will match the offer. They will not lose Smith for nothing. I think they were waiting for someone to make him an offer. Even know they handled the whole situation terribly I think they still will retain him. And if for some strange reason they don't the ASG better leave town fast.

HiphopRelated
08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Hawks will match

mihirdesu
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
If it's a 5 year deal, the hawks will def match. That is so obvious though, it would be stupid for Memphis to sign him to such a deal. Thus logic would tell us it's a 4 year deal, so that the Hawks don't match and Memphis retains him. Unless, Memphis is just doing Smith a favor and giving him more money.

HOZ THE KNICK
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
if the hawks don't match they mind as well have a fire sale.

Joshtd1
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Haha yea this was pretty surprising....ATL should match though.

Vidball
08-08-2008, 12:38 PM
ATL didn't want to pay $10M...this contract is gonna be a 5 year deal at almost $12M a year. There is a good chance ATL won't match--this is about $10M more than they wanted to sign him for. I think ATL will match it and package Smith with Claxton's bad contract. The Hawks really need a Center or PF unless they plan on playing with a very small lineup again next season.

Vidball
08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NBA.aspx

The Grizzlies have signed Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith to a five-year, $58 million offer sheet, according to Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Edge.
$11.6M a season. About $2M a year more than ATL wanted to sign him for.

oldenpolynice
08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
ATL didn't want to pay $10M...this contract is gonna be a 5 year deal at almost $12M a year. There is a good chance ATL won't match--this is about $10M more than they wanted to sign him for. I think ATL will match it and package Smith with Claxton's bad contract. The Hawks really need a Center or PF unless they plan on playing with a very small lineup again next season.

Yeah, this smells a lot like a sign-and-trade scenario for the Hawks. They can match the offer sheet and then ship J-Smoove for someone to team with Al Horford in the front court. That way, their lineup will look like this:

Bibby
J. Johnson
M. Williams
Horford
Center X

Vidball
08-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah...Smith is playing it safe too--ATL has 7 days to match, so they'll have to match by August 15th. Smith will be a BYC contract for the first 6 months of the contract until Feb 15th at the latest (about a week before the trading deadline usually hits). He's giving himself the best chance possible to get out of Atlanta. If he really wanted to play for MEM or ATL he would have waited another week to sign with MEM so he would be a BYC player until past the deadline.

S.J.Basketball
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM

SG-Rudy Gay/Jaric
C-Darko/Gasol

Have Smith play EVERY SINGLE MINUTE AND NEVER LET WALKER TOUCH A BALL AGAIN!

hyp21
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Better sign & trade and find a 3rd team if we're gonna deal J-Smoove. Not much the Grizz can give us and we gotta be able to get SOMEONE to replace Josh Smith.

jgonboricua
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Better sign & trade and find a 3rd team if we're gonna deal J-Smoove. Not much the Grizz can give us and we gotta be able to get SOMEONE to replace Josh Smith.

i dont think you can trade him to the grizz now that they have signed him.....not till like a year from now or something

Vidball
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
i dont think you can trade him to the grizz now that they have signed him.....not till like a year from now or something

Yeah, he can't be traded to the Griz this year...if the Hawks match the offer they can't trade him at all until Dec. 15th at the earliest. He will either be in MEM or he'll be a Hawk (for at least the first few weeks of the season).

Storch
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
They'll match. They have to. They've known about how many teams are interested in him. If anything, they work a sign and trade just to get something in return.

agreed, that would be the best road to take.

lakerboy
08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Breaking news: Pistons trade Kwame Brown for Josh Smith,.

stlramsgo81
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM

i completely agree. u don't let a talent like josh smith go without getting someone back in return.

Wade_County
08-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Breaking news: Pistons trade Kwame Brown for Josh Smith,.

lmao

hockeypro68
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I hope the hawks match... the west doesn't need to get any better!

Hellcrooner
08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
They could give back one of the trhee Point Guards ( Lowry,Critt,COnely) Mybe Arthure and maybe try to get rid of MIlicic.

Or they could be generous and gibve them Marc Gasol, to make up for the hawks mistake when they traded Pau to them.

yaowowrocket11
08-08-2008, 02:23 PM
If the Hawks don't match that, I can see the Grizzlies possibly sneaking into the playoffs this year.

I Am Awesome-O
08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Man if Atlanta doesn't match, we're talking about the new Portland Trailblazers. Hope they don't match the offer, though.

zambo4president
08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
what the ****?!

NYMetros
08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Great for Memphis. They now have Smith, Mayo, and Gay on their team. They are really set up for the future. Still missing a dominant big man though.

Hellcrooner
08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
They have their dominant big man, jsut wait and see.

Marc Gasol is gonna surprise eeverybody.

IM eager to see a first touching stone in the olympics.

He is gonna eat up Bosh, i have my doubts abotu if he will be able to contain Howard.

Jay22Redd
08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Huge pickup for the Griz if ATL dont match. Mayo, Gay, Smith and Gasol are going to be great together.

cmellofan15
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM

SG-Rudy Gay/Jaric
C-Darko/Gasol

Their starting lineup could outlast most starting lineups in the leauge. Theres alot of potential in that team.

bleedprple&gold
08-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Didn't the Hawks offer him that much money in the first place?? I'm surprised he accepted this offer sheet. I guess Smith realized he wasn't gonna get any more (nobody else has any cap space anyway). The Hawks will definitely match.

hyp21
08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, he can't be traded to the Griz this year...if the Hawks match the offer they can't trade him at all until Dec. 15th at the earliest. He will either be in MEM or he'll be a Hawk (for at least the first few weeks of the season).

thanks. I had no idea about that. Well in that case, we need to re-sign him before the 7 days are up. I really DO NOT wanna see us let J-Chill AND J-Smoove walk away and we stand empty handed wondering wtf happened. If we're gonna trade him, we need to make the s**t happen, and stop screwing around

phlp_bj
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM
hope the hawks dont match

Spurred1
08-08-2008, 03:35 PM
thanks. I had no idea about that. Well in that case, we need to re-sign him before the 7 days are up. I really DO NOT wanna see us let J-Chill AND J-Smoove walk away and we stand empty handed wondering wtf happened. If we're gonna trade him, we need to make the s**t happen, and stop screwing around
Guess Atlanta isn't that interested in building on the success and press from the playoffs. It's a shame because I would imagine that a lot of fans are going to turn away from the team if they keep making these questionable moves.

tracy mctrophy
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
http://******.com/

Spurred1
08-08-2008, 03:41 PM
There is already a thread with multiple pages on this topic.

_Sn1P3r_
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Not a bad team if they get Smith. Bright future. Memphis vs. Portland for years to come.

BlondeBomber41
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Well to be fair, I dont think Okafor, Deng or Iggy will ever be anything close to a legit #1 option either.

Deng has a chance but I dont think he will ever be a 25 PPG player.

Yogi
08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
That's gonna be a good team.

Sixerlover
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I expect ATL to match

Sixerlover
08-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Well to be fair, I dont think Okafor, Deng or Iggy will ever be anything close to a legit #1 option either.

Deng has a chance but I dont think he will ever be a 25 PPG player.

But they are all better options than Smith. They've at least shown they can all be solid #2 options on championship teams. I mean Iggy was the #1 option on a playoff team this year, and Deng was the #1b option on a playoff team last year.

Smith was more like #3 this year, and that might be where he is best at.

jgonboricua
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
If Atlanta does not match tey should just sell the team and move to another city...wats the point? do they even want to compete? las vegas would be good, maybe seattle? chicago or new york could afford a second team....

Big Quett
08-08-2008, 08:37 PM

that is not true. The Grizzlies could rescind the offer (on the agreement of all three parties) and enter into sign-and-trade negotiations with the Hawks, something that would probably make a lot of sense for both teams. The same thing happened last summer with Rashard Lewis

Here's the link http://cmimemphis.com/grizblog/node/340

cmellofan15
08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
If Atlanta does not match tey should just sell the team and move to another city...wats the point? do they even want to compete? las vegas would be good, maybe seattle? chicago or new york could afford a second team....

They won't be SuperSonics bad. But they will be 8-12 every year they still have Hordford, Bibby, and Johnson. And most of the other players on their team are young.

Sixerlover
08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
^ But if you don't want to pay the fan favorite, who is a good player 10 mil a year and he's only 22 and still developing.. What's the point?

I Am Awesome-O
08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
But they are all better options than Smith. They've at least shown they can all be solid #2 options on championship teams. I mean Iggy was the #1 option on a playoff team this year, and Deng was the #1b option on a playoff team last year.

Smith was more like #3 this year, and that might be where he is best at.

But that's all the Grizzlies need- a number 3 option. Rudy Gay is the #1, O.J. Mayo is the #2, and Smith would be the #3.

stevefrancis
08-08-2008, 09:17 PM
how fun would it be to watch the grizzles imagine all those dunks with smith gay and mayo not to mention warrick. mike conley would average 10 assist easily.

nessa66666
08-08-2008, 09:17 PM
If Josh Smith actually signed the offer sheet, and one wasn't just sent to him (there seem to be conflicting reports on that), then I don't think a sign and trade is possible under the CBA.

Edit: Here it is, from Larry Coon: If the team matches an offer sheet, they cannot trade the player in a sign-and-trade arrangement (see question number 76

BoSelecta!!!
08-08-2008, 11:11 PM
watch out the southwest!