PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap situation

jgonboricua
08-08-2008, 02:32 AM
I know some of you might im crazy but i was thinking since the NBA is having a problem with teams loosing their players to europe maybe the should look into having no salry cap limit, the mlb does not have one and they do fine, this way if a team feels like there player deserves 30 mil a year cuz his name is lebron or watever they should be able to pay him that with out affecting any other decisions....new york has the highest payrole and they have gone nowhere in the last decade, this also allows a team like pheonix or dallas who are salary striken to be able to go out and sign a big name free agent to help the get over the hump.....any thoughts?

DenButsu
08-08-2008, 03:03 AM
I think you're really getting into two separate issues, one being the salary cap and the other being the NBA's maximum salary.

These are the max salaries for the 2008-09 season:

Years
in
NBA** 2008-09
0 $13,758,000.00
1 $13,758,000.00
2 $13,758,000.00
3 $13,758,000.00
4 $13,758,000.00
5 $13,758,000.00
6 $13,758,000.00
7 $16,509,600.00
8 $16,509,600.00
9 $16,509,600.00
10 $19,261,200.00

So one possibility would be to increase the ceiling of the max salary without touching the cap, thus forcing teams to work even harder to build around elite players. I could see bigger annual increases in max salaries being considered by the league.

I could also see an increased rate of increase in the salary cap as one possible response to the draw of the Euro, but I highly doubt they will eliminate it altogether. And I don't think they should, either. For one thing, the cap as it exists is already so soft that teams can literally go as far over it as they choose to. Not without certain restrictions, of course, and not without eventually crossing into the luxury tax. But the league's richest owners have every opportunity to spend as many millions as they want to if they choose to do so.

But for another thing, I say there's enough greed and excessive throwing around of massive amounts of cash in the NBA. If a player wants to go to Europe, I say let him. The true competitors will stay where the level of competition is the highest, and that will always be the NBA.

If LBJ goes to Europe, pretty much overnight, as far as most American basketball fans are concerned, he'll go from being "The King" to being "Le-Who?"

I'd be willing to bet - and my guess is the league will, too - that most guys will consider $20 million a year enough to satisfy their greed, and their pride and competitive drive to prove they can hang with the best will keep them in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
08-08-2008, 03:13 AM
I think it would work

peope quarrel that only 3 or 4 teams would win rings.

ok, like the cap avoids that , ive been following the game since mid 80s

thats more than 25 years

and i can only recall 3 west teams winning Lakers, Rockets and Spurs and 5 east winers Bulls,PIstons,Heat,Celtics and Sixers,

So would it reaally be so differente?

And by teh way every team is owned by a billionare so bigger or smaller markets would not matter.

I bet Cuban is gonna outbid LA and NY a lot of times.

Hellcrooner
08-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Anyway the real problem here is inflation, theres been a lot if inflation lately, ggas is no longer "cheap" in the states but Stern keeps making ridicule raises of 5 more millions dollars of cap each year.

Get Real stern, Gas had a rise of 40% act the same way

New cap 90 million dollars new maximum salary 30 million dollars.

Easy isnt it?.

jgonboricua
08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Anyway the real problem here is inflation, theres been a lot if inflation lately, ggas is no longer "cheap" in the states but Stern keeps making ridicule raises of 5 more millions dollars of cap each year.

Get Real stern, Gas had a rise of 40% act the same way

New cap 90 million dollars new maximum salary 30 million dollars.

Easy isnt it?.

something like that would seem alil more realistic then getting rid of it altogether

BALLER71
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
The MLB is not doing fine.
Teams with fat payrolls are always winning.

jgonboricua
08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
The MLB is not doing fine.
Teams with fat payrolls are always winning.

yea...the yankees win every year

HOZ THE KNICK
08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
if that happens my knick can buy a championship lol.