PDA

View Full Version : Dragic deal 'closer than ever'

MrPaulD
08-08-2008, 02:25 AM
According to HoopsHype, Tau Ceramica is negotiating with the Phoenix Suns about Goran Dragic. The Spanish team has an offer on the table for the Slovenian guard and they are closer than ever to an agreement.

http://www.elcorreodigital.com/vizcaya/20080807/deportes/tau/baskonia-cerca-traspasar-base-20080807.html

Anyone able to read Spanish or translate this correctly?

I hope this deal is going to get done VERY soon.... J Will is apparently signing with the Clips, the FO must have been confident in getting Goran then? We will see.

Thoughts?

phoenix4ever
08-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Although the movements on the market ACB keep on being scarce, the TAU Ceramics do not stop from his determination for shaping a competitive staff for the next period. The principal topic that centers the attention these days of the technical secretariat of the set azulgrana is the 'affaire' Goran Dragic.
In spite of the prevailing silence in the last dates, the maxima responsible for the square vitoriana hope to solve in the next days the continuity of the young Slovene player and his incorporation to the set that Dusko Ivanovic will direct. Up to the date the entity baskonista Phoenix Suns had not recognized a firm offer on the part of, set of the North American professional basketball that possesses the rights NBA of the promising director of game. To remember that the Slovene was elected the same year by the Spurs of San Antonio in the position the second 45 of the round of the 'draft', later, to be penetrated to the Suns.
Sources of any solvency of the TAU recognized yesterday the existence of a negotiation on the table with the team of Arizona, interested in incorporating into Dragic the same period. The situation supposes an advance, since till now the club had not recognized that should have any firm offer as the player. The exit of Dragic of Vitoria is in these moments closer than never, although everything happens because two squares come to an economic agreement for the player, whose essential rights are in possession of the club of Alava. Goran Dragic possesses in his contract an exit clause to the NBA the period 2009-2010, but not this way this campaign, therefore the understanding between clubs is a condition 'sine qua odd number' for a possible march. During the last July the Suns had reduced the impetuous initial interest in the base azulgrana before the nonexistence of a clause that was quantifying the economic compensation for his exit of the TAU, with which it reduces a contract period with option to other two more. The proper protagonist, as well as his representative, the ex-player Quique Villalobos, had discarded to "play" this year in the American league to try to "triumph" firstly in the TAU.
Apart from the economic agreement on his march, the principal impediment so that the American entity chooses in these moments to the signing of base, which still has not made debut with the T-shirt azulgrana, it happens for the maximum quantity that the exemption NBA can pay for a transfer, coded in 500.000 dollars. For it, one of the essential matters in the negotiation takes root in how distributing the exit quantity between the implied parts - player and I equip of destination - it departs from which would have to be assumed by the Slovene with the safety of being able to recover them in his next years of contract in the professional basketball. The arrival of a substitute The arrival of a new player to to the lines azulgranas is in the expensa of what happens finally with Goran Dragic. Offerings of numerous players have come to the baskonistas in the last ten days, between them Earl Boykins - who signed yesterday a contract for 3,5 million dollars for a period with the Virtus - as well as ex-baskonista Carlos Arroyo - acquired by the Maccabi for a card of 2,5 annual millions-. Nevertheless, the TAU has pulled for Andre Barrett, there bases North American whom it has touched with an offer for 800.000 dollars. It is not his only option, nevertheless.

phoenix4ever
08-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Im not able to read spanish cause I'm french but I find a text translator to make it more easier.

JPHX
08-08-2008, 03:51 AM
i know this when this saga is done we will all breathe a lot easier. i just still hope we can sign sam cassell or damon stoudemire as maybe a third string guard. which ever one is willing to accept the role.

amare#1
08-08-2008, 04:00 AM
If we manage to get hold of Dragic we will be fine next season. We won't need another old guard like Cassell who is far past his time anyway, as it would probably be better to give DJ Strawberry and Alando Tucker more time to develop them for the future... especially considering D'Antoni barely played them last year. If we aren't able to bring Dragic over for this season, i rekon we should sign Shaun Livingston to a minimum contract. The kid may not be ready for the start of the season, but he was such a high prospect who deserves a second chance. Even if he isn't ready for the start of the season, we should once again start to give DJ and Alando more game time to develop them. Anyway, best possible situation would be to get Dragic asap so he can adjust to our playing style during training camp.

Rome
08-08-2008, 05:25 AM
^ not a terrible idea. Livingston obviously isn't resigning with la, with the addition of jwill. If we don't get goran over here this season, we sign Livingston and wait till he is ready to play. In the meantime have DJ play backup to Nash. See how that plays out.

chadillachembre
08-08-2008, 09:28 AM
im really hoping dragic pans out cuz the organization has alotta chips in his corner

JPHX
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
^ not a terrible idea. Livingston obviously isn't resigning with la, with the addition of jwill. If we don't get goran over here this season, we sign Livingston and wait till he is ready to play. In the meantime have DJ play backup to Nash. See how that plays out.

are you serious? if we give DJ the 2nd option and see how it plays out we'll get tore up. DJ still needs time to develope. he did well in summer league but this is nba now. we need dragic and/or an older vet as insurance to mentor our young guys at the pg spot. seeing how things play out rather than being prepared is not a recipe for a championship

kjsunsfan7
08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I was half asleep when espn said williams was going to the clippers, this dragic guy, I watched some clips and wasn't to impressed, atleast not to backup right away, I want someone whos played in the nba before to back nash up this season, its pretty much our last chance with shaq and nash getting up in age. If we can't get cassell, I want livingston, before he had that horrible accident, he was just starting to really develop and was becoming a good point guard, I think once he's healed up, and with the suns trainers who helped amare become better then ever with his microfracture, and shaq and grant hill healthy most of the season, I think they will do wonders for that kid

PhxGiant
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
^^^ I'd rather have a guy like Dragic who has a lot of experience in Europe over a guy in Livingston who wont be able to play this year, but i would like to sign Livingston with a chance of him turning into the Livingston of old.

FreedomReigns
08-08-2008, 04:50 PM
If we manage to get hold of Dragic we will be fine next season. We won't need another old guard like Cassell who is far past his time anyway, as it would probably be better to give DJ Strawberry and Alando Tucker more time to develop them for the future... especially considering D'Antoni barely played them last year. If we aren't able to bring Dragic over for this season, i rekon we should sign Shaun Livingston to a minimum contract. The kid may not be ready for the start of the season, but he was such a high prospect who deserves a second chance. Even if he isn't ready for the start of the season, we should once again start to give DJ and Alando more game time to develop them. Anyway, best possible situation would be to get Dragic asap so he can adjust to our playing style during training camp.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't see Tucker or D.J. playing many meaningful minutes this year. They are both buried third on the depth chart at their respective positions.

I realize Porter will use his bench more than D'Antoni but let's be realistic here. Hill and Barnes will recieve most of the minutes at small forward, towards the begining of the season. That leaves Tucker with junk minutes on the floor in blowouts. I forsee him laboring away with Iowa of the NBDL.

Strawberry is basically in the same boat as Tucker but with a slight chance to be third in the point guard rotation. Being buried behind Bell and Barbosa at shooting guard won't produce much playing time. As for backing up Nash at the point? Nash will still play big minutes even with a veteran backup. Although D.J. is currently the backup, by default, I really don't think the Suns have that much faith in him. He's very raw and point guard doesn't appear be a natural position for him. At least at this point. NBDL could be a likely destination for him again. Assuming Dragic is bought out and a veteran like Stoudemire is signed.

I see it as a near miracle for them to recieve the playing time neccesary to improve their games. Im not even sure the Suns will bring either of them back next season. D.J. is an unrestricted free agent and Tucker has a team option. There will be salary cap issues looming over the Suns heads next year.

Tucker stands the best chance of being brought back as a warm body to replace both Hill and Barnes on the roster. I see this as Hill's last year. Barnes could perform very well this year, causing a bidding war for his services that the Suns will not be able to play a factor in. Everyone that will be under contract next year, minus Diaw, has a salary that escalates significantly. There will be absolutely no wiggle room for the Suns to sign or resign players with any meaningfull experience.

That's just my take on things of course and I don't feel it's an unrealistic opinion. The writing is on the wall.

Rome
08-08-2008, 06:16 PM
are you serious? if we give DJ the 2nd option and see how it plays out we'll get tore up. DJ still needs time to develope. he did well in summer league but this is nba now. we need dragic and/or an older vet as insurance to mentor our young guys at the pg spot. seeing how things play out rather than being prepared is not a recipe for a championship

I get what your saying trust me, but say they make any moves, don't get dragic over here and have the chose between playin barbosa at the 1 or giving DJ a shot, see how he's developed. I know If they dont get dragic here they will sign some washed up veteran, but I'd let him back up a game just to see how he does.

SpeedReed
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Livingston is not the choice for the Suns. He won't be able to contribute this season. dragic has a better chance of contributing for us this season, and he's already the future investment. no choice but to play him if he gets here.

and i agree with everything you've said FREEDOMREIGNS. amen and amen.

STAT32
08-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately Freedom, your exactly right. I could see keeping DJ on solely for his defensive prowess but yea we have a log jam at the 3 spot so Tucker is most likely gone.

Kind of sad because both guys have some serious potential behind them.