PDA

View Full Version : Why do people keep calling the NFC North WEAK?

BrewCityBuck
08-08-2008, 01:45 AM
People keep on ripping the competition in this division, am I the only one thats giving a couple of other teams in the division some credit? Say what you want about the Vikings, a little overhyped, but thats potentially a very rough team to handle...And the Bears, we lost to them twice last year, and they will be even more tough this season with 5 starters coming back healthy from injury on defense....

The Lions are the only team on paper right now that we don't have to worry about, the Vikings and Bears games will be dogfights. This division is going to be closer than people think.

wissportsfan
08-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Well all the teams right now have everything in common. We all have unproven QBs. Thats a big reason why people think our division is weak.

BrewCityBuck
08-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Well all the teams right now have everything in common. We all have unproven QBs. Thats a big reason why people think our division is weak.

Yeah, unfortunately thats all people look at. But I don't think you can find three better defenses in a division than what the Packers, Bears and Vikings have.

hughest4
08-08-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm not sure why everyone thinks we have a weak division, but i'm guessing its because of the unproven QB's and the fact we have only had one good team in our division the past couple of years.

Last year - Green Bay had 13 wins, Minny 8
2006 - Chicago had 13 wins, Green Bay 8

Well thats the recent history and could be part of the reason?????

jamielove
08-08-2008, 09:24 AM
yeah, totally agree, and the lions scare me just as much as the others. they do have the best wide reciever duo in the division in roy williams and calvin johnson and the most experienced QB.

blujaysrock
08-08-2008, 09:26 AM
yeah, totally agree, and the lions scare me just as much as the others. they do have the best wide reciever duo in the division in roy williams and calvin johnson and the most experienced QB.

Exactly plus a Rookie RB who could suprise all of you lions are probably the most underrated team this season.

hawkeye
08-08-2008, 09:48 AM
I think the pundits put the emphasis on QB play when saying who's weak and who's strong. It is rare when a team strength rating is high with crap at the most important position. However when you have a stellar defense like say the Bears a couple years ago or the Ravens back when they won it all, they get the high score. Same goes for the Vikes this year. They are this year's Ravens. They have a great defense and a very good running attack.

I think our low ranking as a division comes from the FACT that Jon Kitna is the best QB. Defensively, you would have to rate the North as the best in football. Offensively, there are too many questions.

BrewCityBuck
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Exactly plus a Rookie RB who could suprise all of you lions are probably the most underrated team this season.

The Lions simply don't scare me at all this season. They don't win battles on the offensive and defensive line, and thats what you'll have to do to beat the other teams in the division.

--------

I agree Hawkeye, good points.

Brendan
08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
The Vikings and Pack are both going to make the playoffs this year.

How about the Vikings and Pack in the NFC Championship game. That would be a GREAT game. Would be great for the rivalry

XJW18
08-08-2008, 07:00 PM
dont they rate the packers, vikings and bears Defense all in the top 12???

wissportsfan
08-08-2008, 07:09 PM

How about the Vikings and Pack in the NFC Championship game. That would be a GREAT game. Would be great for the rivalry

That would be a huge game. Both teams are capable of making it to the playoffs. A lot of things have to happen though in order for both teams to do that.

Da Truf
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM

That would be awesome. Vikings winning right?:)

RcrkllrH2
08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
i seem to be in the minority on this one but....id kinda agree that the division is weak

the lions ride every year on potential, but it never comes through

the vikings are just overrated plain and simple, i know they improved their defense and they look all good, but theyre not as good as everyone says they are (a point which i will eat my words if im wrong, but ill believe it when i see it)

and the bears have a good season once every 3 or 4 years....their super bowl year was that one year....and now they will be bad for a while as they always are

aside from the questions at qb i think the packers are about the only team that really poses a legitimate playoff threat....the rest either are bad (lions bears) or overrated ('queens)

Jambox5000
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Didn't read the thread but I'll give you two SOLID reasons:
1. The Detroit Lions
2. The Chicago Bears

plus two question marks:
1. The Minn. Vikings
2. The Green Bay Packers

But honestly, they have nothing on weakness compared to the NFC West...their only saving grace is Seattle

Jambox5000
08-08-2008, 11:55 PM
i seem to be in the minority on this one but....id kinda agree that the division is weak

the lions ride every year on potential, but it never comes through

the vikings are just overrated plain and simple, i know they improved their defense and they look all good, but theyre not as good as everyone says they are (a point which i will eat my words if im wrong, but ill believe it when i see it)

and the bears have a good season once every 3 or 4 years....their super bowl year was that one year....and now they will be bad for a while as they always are

aside from the questions at qb i think the packers are about the only team that really poses a legitimate playoff threat....the rest either are bad (lions bears) or overrated ('queens)

Hey!!! I should have read the thread! This dude is right on:clap:

Damn The Man
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Because it is. And no the Packers will not make the playoffs this year, sorry.

stekcor0304
08-09-2008, 11:47 AM
The division is weak. We have an unproven quarterback who is also injury prone. Our defense is good and our offense can be. The Bears do not have a quarterback they can win with. The Vikings are still young and inexperienced. They wont be doing too much this year. and the Lions they are behind all the rest. If you look at our division do you see a team that scares you? I dont. Sure I think we are vulnerable to the Bears and Vikings, but I also think we are vulnerable against the Lions also. so sure there is some competition within our division, but looking outside the division we are not that competitive. I am not saying the Packers are going to suck. It is all dependent on Aaron Rodgers and how well he plays. If he can play mistake free football or at least mostly mistake free football, our defense should keep us in the game. It also depends on how healthy he is. I see us going 8-8 with him healthy and 6-10 if not healthy. I hope Aaron suprises me this year though. GO PACKERS!!!

packerfan4life
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
They do the same with the NL Central for baseball. They had a poll on ESPN for the strongest division and it was between NL East, AL East, AL Central, and AL West.... I was like, ummm NL Central?

AFlagRules
08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Its the best defensive division in all of football. It has 3 of the top 10 defenses in the league. It also has arguably the best special teams in the league.

hughest4
08-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Its the best defensive division in all of football. It has 3 of the top 10 defenses in the league. It also has arguably the best special teams in the league.

Yeah i would agree with you about this. The Bears when healthy have a ridiculously good defense that i hope we don't have to face this year. The Vikings definitely have the ability to be a much better defense this season. Against the run they are one of the best and their pass defense should be improved. IMO, the Packers aren't great in any aspect but all around are very good