PDA

View Full Version : From 03-06, replace Rip with AI on the Pistons and...

DenButsu
08-07-2008, 10:59 PM
In the 2003-04, 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, if you replace Rip with AI on the Pistons, how do you think they do?

-No championships

-One championship (same as true situation, but could be a different season)

-Two championships

-Three championships

I think of any existing team that AI could have hat a shot at going all the way with, this Detroit squad could have been the best fit. All his teammates can defend (masking his weakness in that area), all (save Big Ben) can shoot, spreading the floor and giving him room to operate, and all could potentially run effective pick-and-rolls with Iverson.

(And just so it's clear, I intend absolutely nothing against Hamilton by this idea - I'm only looking at the other four as a potentially good fit for AI's particular strengths and weaknesses).

Lakersfan2483
08-07-2008, 11:10 PM
2 championships

pwest6
08-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm only going with one, Rip is very important to their team.

JordansBulls
08-07-2008, 11:27 PM
3 titles. That team would be a better version of the 2001 Sixers. They would have a better frontcourt and Iverson would have a reliable PG in Billups. Also he would have the defense of Prince to back him up. Iverson doesn't even have to worry about defense because the team would have his back.

Kyle N.
08-08-2008, 12:26 AM
At least one, but I'll say one.

Chaudhry
08-08-2008, 01:01 AM
i don't think you can say any... its not a knock on AI but the only reason that team one was because their such a good fit... change one piece and its completly different... plus in terms of salaries im pretty sure AI's is higher so them might not have had certain role players...

THE MTL
08-08-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm going with two championships. Cause with like 6 conference Finals appearances and one championship. I would say AI would have brought them to another championship. That year that lost to Bron Bron if Pistons had AI it would have been a different story.

DenButsu
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm going with 2. I think they'd have won in 04 like the real Pistons did, and would have had a great chance at repeating the following year.

BigSteve
08-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Iverson is a great scorer, but he is not a winner. He did not at all fit the blue collar attitude their team was trying to build. Chemistry-wise he would have been disruptive. These guys all bonded together because they were all castoffs who felt like they weren't given the chance they deserved.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-08-2008, 01:29 AM
2. Iverson was and still is a great player. He has never had the right pieces around him, and now we know what he needs/needed, but it's a few years to late now.

Joshtd1
08-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Maybe 1, I dont know about anything after that.

JordansBulls
08-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Iverson is a great scorer, but he is not a winner. .

What do you consider a winner? Everyone can't win titles. Do you consider Nash a winner or Kidd or Stockton?

DaddyCool
08-09-2008, 05:15 AM
AI needs to have the ball in his hands ALOT to be effective. That Pistons team preached team unity and sharing the ball. There was no go-to-guy on the Pistons everyone could knock down the game-winning shot except Ben. I love AI, I'm a Philly fan, but there is a reason why every single all-star the Sixers paired him up with didn't work out with the exception of Mutombo because his offensive game wasn't what made him an all-star. Larry Hughes, Jerry Stackhouse, Glenn Robinson, C-Webb were all all-stars before they teamed up with AI. AI took too many shots and the all-stars could never exist. He would have not fit in with the Pistons mentality and would have damaged their psyche.

innovator
08-09-2008, 05:41 AM

$ NyC $
08-09-2008, 05:50 AM
thing about the Pistons was they're a cohesive unit...they all became stars TOGETHER...but in crunch time...its true Billups was their Mr.Big Shot...but Iverson is a superstar.....the guy who could get you buckets no problem...plus if Iverson took the Sixers 2 the Finals with a ****** as* 76s team imagine if he had

C Big Ben
PF Rasheed Wallace
SF Prince
SG A.I.
PG Billups

sick lineup...great offense w'great defense...

DaddyCool
08-09-2008, 06:13 AM
thing about the Pistons was they're a cohesive unit...they all became stars TOGETHER...but in crunch time...its true Billups was their Mr.Big Shot...but Iverson is a superstar.....the guy who could get you buckets no problem...plus if Iverson took the Sixers 2 the Finals with a ****** as* 76s team imagine if he had

C Big Ben
PF Rasheed Wallace
SF Prince
SG A.I.
PG Billups

sick lineup...great offense w'great defense...

That 2001 Sixer team was very good.

Eric Snow ( people forget he averaged 10 points 12 assists that season)
Allen Iverson (AMAZING)
Dikembe Mutombo (All-star, amazing defender, tons of offensive rebounds)
Aaron Mikie (6th man of the year, averaged 16 points 5 assists)

That team could have won a championship had they won atleast 2 of their 3 games in Philly instead of losing 3 straight in Philly. :mad:

cubsneedmiracle
08-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll take two, that proposed Pistons team is just nasty.

ink
08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Iverson is a great scorer, but he is not a winner. He did not at all fit the blue collar attitude their team was trying to build. Chemistry-wise he would have been disruptive. These guys all bonded together because they were all castoffs who felt like they weren't given the chance they deserved.

Good points. The irony about that team of castoffs was that when it counted they were disciplined and worked as an incredibly tight team with no individuals. I don't fault Iverson for it, it's just how he's wired. That's just not his game.

Goon.Weezy
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
atleast 1 more championship

op12
08-09-2008, 03:55 PM
probably still 1. i am not that much more impressed with the 5 with ai compared to rip. rip is a good go 2 guy and he doesnt have to take as many shots as ai. not to mention sheed and ai on the same team, hot tempers. the whole style of play would have been different, but they still could have pulled off 1, no more.

SwaggaIke
08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
ZERO. Rip is so underrated offensively and defensively. Iverson can't thrive w/ the off ball game like Rip can and he's not even close to Rip's level defensively. Rip's off the ball game has been one of the biggest components to Detroit's success over the past 6 years and he still doesn't get the love he deserves.

GregOden#1
08-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Zero.

Detroit woudn't mask AI's weaknesses as a defender. Nobody on Detroit except Tayshaun are particularily great man defenders, they are all great team defenders and putting AI there would mess that up. Not to mention he's not a good off the ball player, and Chauncey needs the ball to be effective.

Not a good fit.

NYMetros
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM
3 Championships. Iverson's main weakness is defense, well, that is the rest of the team's strength. Billups, Ben Wallace, and Prince all would help out Iverson with defense. And of course, Iverson will get 30 pts/10 assists per game. They would be an unstoppable team IMO.

t-mac1nukka
08-09-2008, 04:58 PM
AI is a one demensional scorer

GSW fan
08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Rip is too vital to the pistons to let him go

GSW fan
08-09-2008, 05:06 PM
3 Championships. Iverson's main weakness is defense, well, that is the rest of the team's strength. Billups, Ben Wallace, and Prince all would help out Iverson with defense. And of course, Iverson will get 30 pts/10 assists per game. They would be an unstoppable team IMO.

good point but ben wallace was signed by chicago 3 years ago

Cavs_Fan24
08-09-2008, 05:11 PM
the offense wouldn't be the same without Rip, Iverson just wouldn't fit in, i dont think they'd win at all

DenButsu
08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
good point but ben wallace was signed by chicago 3 years ago

But the three seasons in question are all seasons he played for the Pistons. And that was intentional, since the real meaning of the question was essentially about the Pistons' championship team.

scottie
08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
What do you consider a winner? Everyone can't win titles. Do you consider Nash a winner or Kidd or Stockton?

Nice! I get sooo tired of people posting that NBA ALL-STARS are not winners.
For the record I'd take Iverson over Rip any and all day. 3 championships with Iverson is my vote.

Sixerlover
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with GregOden. No one on Detroit other than Prince + Sheed are great man defenders. Billups nor AI would of been able to guard the 2 on the other team (and T-Mac and Vince and Kobe were great back then). On the Sixers AI had 4 great man defenders around him.

ink
08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
What I don't get is that this is one of the best ideas I've seen for utilizing AI, and people overwhelmingly said they'd pick AI as a 21 year old, and yet people aren't all over this idea. This team would give AI a better chance than any other he has ever been on.

I don't think it would win a title, but it would have been the best team to give him a chance ...

BADizzleBoY
08-09-2008, 10:04 PM
no championships, ai wouldn't have clicked in that situation.

GregOden#1
08-09-2008, 11:55 PM
What I don't get is that this is one of the best ideas I've seen for utilizing AI, and people overwhelmingly said they'd pick AI as a 21 year old, and yet people aren't all over this idea. This team would give AI a better chance than any other he has ever been on.

I don't think it would win a title, but it would have been the best team to give him a chance ...

It isn't the best team for him. And with a player with his unique ability would require a uniquely built team.

ink
08-10-2008, 12:34 AM
It isn't the best team for him. And with a player with his unique ability would require a uniquely built team.

What's your suggestion?

Sixerlover
08-10-2008, 12:37 AM
^ The 2000-2001 Philadelphia 76ers.

4 GREAT defenders.

GregOden#1
08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Only way to make the 00-01 76ers a better team would be to replace a starter with a better defender for their position.

SwaggaIke
08-10-2008, 01:29 AM
How about not facing Shaq's Lakers in '01? A.I had his best team at the wrong time. Just tell it like it is. He is the victim of a dynasty. Just like countless others throughout the 90s. And TOO many throughout the reign of Russell's Celtics.

BigSteve
08-10-2008, 02:07 AM

A winner is someone who takes their team to heights they would not have reached without them. People claim that in Philly he was not surrounded by alot of talent and that is why he never won. I disagree. He was part of a few solid teams there. Are the Denver Nuggets a better team with him? Except for a couple regular season wins the answer is no. Their play-off results are exactly the same as what they were without him. He is an extremely talented player that possesses a me first attitude, and unless your name is Micheal Jordan you can not win a championship that way.

Also, your not from the Pistons forum so you would not know, but having Scottie agree with you is the same thing as saying your argument is wrong.