PDA

View Full Version : Chad Pennington

kazzy4080
08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Chad is a free agent, and our back up QB situation is not looking that great, you guys think we will pick up Chad (or at least try to). He might even help with game planning against Jets personal. He could hold down the offense decently if Brady misses any time.

JerseyBrave
08-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Pennington will probably sign with the dolphins b/c he will probably start there.

Crickr
08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
why would The Pats want him besides he is going with Parcells,plus the QB situation isn't as bad as you may think.No matter what happens if Brady goes down the team tanks anyway.

bagwell368
08-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I disagree. I think they should try and bag him. At this point in his career Pennington has to know he's not headed to the HoF. He'll probably be retired inside of 4 years.

But he can win a ring here. Here is the pitch:

1. We'll cut the two guys battling over the #2 spot. So all reps other then Brady's are yours. The rook isn't going to be ready for 3-4 years if ever, so forget him.

2. Brady had that bad ankle problem, he is mortal. The NFL is a rough place. You could get the team for a SB run this year, next year, or the year after.

3. On paper the Pats are the best team in the NFL. It's a great place to win a ring or two.

4. Even though you lack the arm strength to throw much past 25 yards - it will hurt you the least in NE, because we value the high accuracy, short yardage stuff you throw so well.

We can win a SB with this guy playing the last 3 games of the year and the playoffs, nobody else on this roster or in FA can say the same IMO.

Plus, you get to drive Mangenius crazy about how much of a brain dump we do on Pennington.

Patsfan56
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
As fun as it would be to see Mangini's head explode if we picked him up, we don't need him that badly. (this is easy for me to say now, with Brady healthy. If he were to go down (5 our Fathers and three hail Mary's inserted here) :pray:, many of us would then be asking why we didn't pick him up when we had the chance)

While I would like to have him as a very strong backup, I think the fins and Bills both could use his talents and knowedge of the Jets systems more.

But if BB were to pick him up I would be all smiles with the nice insurance policy

By the way, can we even afford him? I have no idea where we are in salary cap room.

Patsfan56
08-08-2008, 09:36 AM
I disagree. I think they should try and bag him. At this point in his career Pennington has to know he's not headed to the HoF. He'll probably be retired inside of 4 years.

But he can win a ring here. Here is the pitch:

1. We'll cut the two guys battling over the #2 spot. So all reps other then Brady's are yours. The rook isn't going to be ready for 3-4 years if ever, so forget him.

2. Brady had that bad ankle problem, he is mortal. The NFL is a rough place. You could get the team for a SB run this year, next year, or the year after.

3. On paper the Pats are the best team in the NFL. It's a great place to win a ring or two.

4. Even though you lack the arm strength to throw much past 25 yards - it will hurt you the least in NE, because we value the high accuracy, short yardage stuff you throw so well.

We can win a SB with this guy playing the last 3 games of the year and the playoffs, nobody else on this roster or in FA can say the same IMO.

Plus, you get to drive Mangenius crazy about how much of a brain dump we do on Pennington.

Nice post.

I gave the junior high report and you provided a thesis. Now I feel mildly ********.

Just kidding. Good post!
:clap::clap:

bruschifan54
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I can't see him coming to New England. I think Pennington still views himself as a starter than a back-up. He'll most likely end up in a Vikings or Dolphins uniform.

JetInPhilly
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Personally, I think anyone who picks up "The Chad" will be stronger because he is very smart and accurate. Not many people come back from a RotatorCuff surgery...and he did it twice. What he needs to understand is that he's a career back-up now. Mind you, I love that guys heart!!!! He's a warrior and he'll give any team he goes to ALL that he has. I'm sad to see him go but I do hope he lands somewhere where he can get a ring. After all he did for NY...he deserves that - At the least.

bagwell368
08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
IMO the QB ratings over do the importance of completion %, and low pick % (a bit at least).

Pennington is 9th all time. He's 31 years old, and he cannot lift a team on his own, but within his scope he is damn good.

Get him, plus I can't stand those two goobers that they have fighting for the job.

JerseyBrave
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Pennington behind a great o-line equals wins, 2 years ago he lead the jets to the playoffs behind a great o-line, last year the jets line sucked and pennington sucked. Pats have a good o-line, so pennington would prpobably succeed here.

patriothuss12
08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Cassel and Guitrezz were terrible last night. If Brady were to go down the pats will not win a single game. They need a back up.

They should atleast off Pennington a 1 or 2 year contract until O'Connel is ready to be Brady's back up.

IceMan360
08-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't see why everone is going crazy about our backup QB situation, as far as i can see cassel and guitrezz are servicable enough to be Toms backup. U guys are making it seem that we need an allstar back up or something really now. When has brady missed a game because of injury. Isnt one of brady's strong points is his ablity to feel and avoid pressure in the pocket which is why he hasnt missed a game yet. Plus we have a stud O-line. P.S can any name P. Manning's backup or carson palmer's back up or Drew B backup " see my point"

J-E-T-S
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Heck I would rather see him in NE than Miami. I hate the Fish, and I feel bad for the fact that he is in a terrible situation. I mean Miami is terrible. Hopefully he plays well.

bagwell368
08-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't see why everone is going crazy about our backup QB situation, as far as i can see cassel and guitrezz are servicable enough to be Toms backup. U guys are making it seem that we need an allstar back up or something really now. When has brady missed a game because of injury. Isnt one of brady's strong points is his ablity to feel and avoid pressure in the pocket which is why he hasnt missed a game yet. Plus we have a stud O-line. P.S can any name P. Manning's backup or carson palmer's back up or Drew B backup " see my point"

Well if Tom never gets hurt, its not an issue. But he has been hurt, is more prone to being hurt now as he ages, and as teams see the OL as a possible weakness.

The Pats have $$, and cachet. We didn't need Seau but got him. We didn't need Jordan and Morris but got them too.

Whatever makes the team stronger is good, whatever doesn't isn't. How simple can you get?

Answer me this. If Brady goes down in week 14 for the season all things being equal - are we more likely to win the SB with the guys we have or Pennington?