PDA

View Full Version : MLB investigating Manny's departure.

R to the G
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Manny Ramirez has been on fire since joining the Dodgers, hitting .565 (13 for 23) with four home runs and nine RBIs in six games. Make you wish he was doing that in a Boston uniform?

Or does his hot start make you wonder a little about Manny's unusual final days in Boston? The commissioner's office is apparently wondering the same thing. We found this tidbit in a Dan Shaughnessy column posted on Boston.com this afternoon very interesting:

Feeling a little duped, Red Sox Nation? Still wondering if this whole thing was on the level?

You are not alone. The commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny's final hours with the Red Sox. The Globe has learned (from a source with direct knowledge of the inquiry) that Bud Selig directed Major League Baseball executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner.

Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

The Red Sox had an option to retain Ramírez in 2009 for $20 million. They had the same option for 2010. Ramírez, who will turn 37 next season, wanted to be a free agent at the end of this season. His agent wanted the same thing. Boras inherited Ramírez's old contract and stood to earn nothing until Manny signed a new one. It was in the interest of the player and the agent to have the options dropped.

Manny's only leverage was withholding services and playing at half speed. So that's what he did.

Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/07/manny_mania_and_an_investigation/)

Tankjeep
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
is this along the lines of "breach of contract" issues?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Bleh, I wish all of this would just go away. I'm happy with Bay. I'm happy with the trade. It should just be done with. :bang:

Raidaz4Life
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Bleh, I wish all of this would just go away. I'm happy with Bay. I'm happy with the trade. It should just be done with. :bang:

I'm not I hope Manny gets fined a large amount of money and it gets returned to us:D

kazzy4080
08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm not I hope Manny gets fined a large amount of money and it gets returned to us:D

that be so sweet

Crucis
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Heck, I hope that Boras can somehow be fined as well. This entire thing STINKS of Boras wanting Manny to go free agent ASAP so that he (Boras) could get some money out of Manny, which wouldn't happen if the Sox picked up the options.

While there may not be many players who would stoop to such despicable tactics to get out of a contract, I think that MLB needs to look into this and do something about it to prevent other agents and players from engaging in similar despicable behavior.

captaintek33
08-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Manny is a waste of skin and his mother should have swallowed him!

But, man....Can he hit a baseball! If he couldn't hit, he'd probably be a janitor at the YMCA in the Bronx, or something...He's obviously not intelligent enough to have excelled in life if he weren't such a hitting savante (sp?)...

knittingmill
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
it seems impossible to prove. manny has been unhappy in boston on and off since creation. of course that effects his performance. the only thing that could be incriminating is if there's evidence of boras suggesting it to manny.

papipapsmanny
08-07-2008, 10:52 PM
i hate boras

Cronin
08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
They should compensate us with a large piece of Yankee Stadium.

Zaunnie
08-07-2008, 11:00 PM
lets kill scott boras

Tragedy
08-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, they really need to "investigate" the situation.

1) It's pretty obvious by Ramirez inability to play games that he wanted out of time.

2) It's pretty obvious by Ramirez comments that he was working his way out of boston.

3) It's pretty obvious that Boras had something to do with it.

...And what's the use? Where will this investigation lead even if they do conclude what we all already know? Absolutely nothing. Ramirez still hits FA and gets all his money.

BouGa
08-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Never seen Manny go 2-3 so many times in my life, guy his hustling out every single fly ball, ground out, hell walks.

Its amazing what hes doing when he tries.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-08-2008, 12:14 AM

Hmm, that, I would not mind. :D

Dirty Dirk41
08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
i doubt anything really comes of this...Its just funny that watching his final days here and now watching him on sportscenter hes running as hard as ive ever seen and hustling and hitting like a GOD....its clear he wasnt trying but what can MLB do??? 5-1 with bay tho so i dont care what mannys doing

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Manny is a waste of skin and his mother should have swallowed him!

But, man....Can he hit a baseball! If he couldn't hit, he'd probably be a janitor at the YMCA in the Bronx, or something...He's obviously not intelligent enough to have excelled in life if he weren't such a hitting savante (sp?)...

Touche that douche deserves to give us the 7M back out of our pockets for having to deal with his whining, his off days and his "Manny being a moron" antics. :D Stay in the NL where they haven't had an Allstar advantage yet.

sboyajian
08-08-2008, 08:00 AM
There is a possible bigger outcome here than anyone is looking at.

How many times has a Boras client caused an investigation or have ideas been thrown around that the team/client got jerked around by a Boras action (Varitek, Drew, Manny, etc).. teams always accuse him of tampering.

There is a good possibility he could go under heavy scrutiny, which could end his hold over MLB.

lil'papi
08-08-2008, 08:08 AM
^^ Yeah and Saddam is coming back to rule Iraq.

Boras played the situation like a fiddle. I said from day 1 don't trade him or release him just pick up one year of the option. Then let him sit and squeal.
We gave in way to easy.

But now that it's done, hopefully they can catch Boras in another bad situation. Manny should have to pay Boston back the 7mil.....that would be great. Although highly unlikely anything happens with our commish who sweeps everything under the rug.:rolleyes:

Tankjeep
08-08-2008, 08:15 AM
commish will just slap their wrist and give them a stern warning.

RedSoxtober
08-08-2008, 08:23 AM
it seems impossible to prove. manny has been unhappy in boston on and off since creation. of course that effects his performance. the only thing that could be incriminating is if there's evidence of boras suggesting it to manny.

I totally agree. There certainly is tons of compelling circumstantial evidence (happy Manny in ST suddenly creating scenes with FO-types, mysterious injuries, the NYY AB, "I'll be good" phone calls, 10/5 rights waived on condition of his options being dropped, etc) but at the end of the day they cannot prove that Manny did it on purpose unless they've got an illegal wire tap on Manny's cell. Boras is many things but he's not stupid about stuff like this; he did not leave any trail.

So, with regard to MLB, likely nothing happens IMO. With Boras? That could be another story. He already took a huge publicity hit on the A-Rod deal in October. Manny intentionally tanking right before the deadline? That's not a good year if you're trying to build any sort of rapport with teams. Previously they disliked him. Now I think they distrust him and his players and that could lead to a lot of problems for his clients. sboyajian is right -- his stranglehold over MLB may be coming to an end.

The Intimidator
08-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't see what this would solve, but it is refreshing to see that there are people outside of red sox nation who realize what that a-hole did to get out of here, and how wrong it was.

lil'papi
08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Maybe it decreases Manny's future value. What team would take a chance he lays down on them for 20mil per.

Maybe the same team that paid Gagne 10mil per?

No way anything comes of it beyond making teams aware , as if they didn't already know.:rolleyes:

ERLynx
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
so lets make a huge Spygate deal about it.

who cares? lets move on with Bay and let it go.

y2shoes
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Baseball should give us an extra first round draft pick for Manny being a jerk!!!

Crucis
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
so lets make a huge Spygate deal about it.

who cares? lets move on with Bay and let it go.

I care. I care that Boras can tamper with a major league baseball team in the middle of the season for no other reason than to make money for himself.

I want to see Boras' role in this investigated and to see him sanctioned and banned from being an agent for any baseball player in MLB. Barring that, I'd like to see MLB teams band together and refuse to deal with any Boras client.

LAFord
08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
There is a possible bigger outcome here than anyone is looking at.

How many times has a Boras client caused an investigation or have ideas been thrown around that the team/client got jerked around by a Boras action (Varitek, Drew, Manny, etc).. teams always accuse him of tampering.

There is a good possibility he could go under heavy scrutiny, which could end his hold over MLB.

I hope you're right. I'm so sick of Boras.
We made out great in this deal with Manny obviously, but we've been on the losing end of Boris dealings more times than I can count.

TDbank24
08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
i doubt anything really comes of this...Its just funny that watching his final days here and now watching him on sportscenter hes running as hard as ive ever seen and hustling and hitting like a GOD....its clear he wasnt trying but what can MLB do??? 5-1 with bay tho so i dont care what mannys doing

Exactly, i don't really care what Manny is doing. As long as Manny isn't doing it against us and we keep winning is all that matters

bagwell368
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
commish will just slap their wrist and give them a stern warning.

On EEI they were wondering what the Sox get out of this - nothing. They didn't do it. It was the Commish - he knows he's got nothing solid - this is a warning for the future. Don't F with the integrity of the game in such an obvious way.

Stupid Boras, Manny and Sox. This could have all been handled in private. We won't excercise your options in writing, now bust your butt, you are playing for a 45-50 vs. 70-90 M contract.

lil'papi
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Why wouldn't we care?

We didn't do it so nothing to gain. In actuallity Boras probably looks even better to clients. He got Manny out of his situation and more money.
Now Manny is telling his friends he wants to play for the Yankees>? How would that go over in LA-LA land? Have they heard that tidbit. One day he wants to play in LA for his career behind their backs he is saying NYY.

His current tear will die out, we will see fans out there selling their shirts on ebay. Selling their dreadlocks hats too.
Just watch....bangwagon fans was generated in LA.

Vthockeydad
08-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I think Manny shows what a child he really is. Obviously, he is a great hitter but when a man making this much money dogs it like he did, let him go. When you watch him hustle on every play with the Dodgers, I am guessing many other GMs are looking at this and this will hurt any future contract offers he gets.
Boras is very unethical and I have no doubt, he encourage Manny to do lay down and get traded. I read the Sox are afraid of pissing Boras off because they will have to deal with some of his players in the future. I always thought the players told the agent what to do.
Many teams will not deal with Boras, can you blame them ?

LAFord
08-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Now Manny is telling his friends he wants to play for the Yankees>? How would that go over in LA-LA land? Have they heard that tidbit. One day he wants to play in LA for his career behind their backs he is saying NYY.
Is this just your speculation or do you have some sort of proof or source on this? Obviously, I'm curious since I am a Dodger fan. :)

It would seem to me, based on what he has said that NY would offer the same problems Boston has. A lot of pressure, a crazy media frenzy, being mobbed and recognized everywhere of the field.

You see Bostonians, L.A. is nothing like that. The area out here is so spread out and full of all kinds of stars, from moviestars, TV stars, Athletes, Musicians, etc. Most people in Southern CA don't recognize baseball players. Basketball and soccer rule here, unfortunately.

Manny basically stated he likes being able to live a non-baseball related life
when he's off the field. That is very easy to do here, where Boston and NY seem a bit more difficult to pull that off, aren't they?

Jeremy5150
08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Manny Ramirez is bi-polar. I bet it will come out soon...

RedSoxtober
08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
You see Bostonians, L.A. is nothing like that. The area out here is so spread out and full of all kinds of stars, from moviestars, TV stars, Athletes, Musicians, etc. Most people in Southern CA don't recognize baseball players. Basketball and soccer rule here, unfortunately.

OMG, there are stars around LA? Really? I never knew that.

I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to be just as sarcastic and condescending right back. Suffice it to say, there are stars outside of LA and lots of them bopping around NY as well. Plenty of guys have gone there and said they could fade into the landscape. Damon, for example, said that he liked not being quite so hounded; seems like NY has an equal ability to let stars be... and that's one of the reasons why Manny would like to go.

Manny Ramirez is bi-polar. I bet it will come out soon...

That would not surprise me.

LAFord
08-09-2008, 04:00 PM

I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to be just as sarcastic and condescending right back. Suffice it to say, there are stars outside of LA and lots of them bopping around NY as well. Plenty of guys have gone there and said they could fade into the landscape. Damon, for example, said that he liked not being quite so hounded; seems like NY has an equal ability to let stars be... and that's one of the reasons why Manny would like to go.
Wow man, what's your problem? I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

You make good points about NY. Thank You for that, you just don't have to be such jerk about it.
I wasn't trying to start any crap, at all!

If all Boston fans have an attitude like you, maybe that's why Manny wanted out! :)

LAFord
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Also, if you read my post that you quoted, it was more of a question and idea format, not an "I know what I'm talking about". I've never been to NY or Boston and was guided mostly by some of Manny's 100 interviews he's had since joining the Dodgers.

I was hoping to have a converstaion and maybe learn what your guys (Boston fan's)point of view was.

RedSoxtober
08-09-2008, 04:49 PM
"You see, Bostonians..." sounds very condescending, like you're lecturing a child about something they don't know.

As for your earlier question:

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Having successfully orchestrated his divorce from Boston and his landing in with the Dodgers, Manny Ramirez would like to make life miserable for the Red Sox during the next few seasons.

According to people who have spoken to the eccentric outfielder since he was dealt to L.A. on July 31, Ramirez wants to sign a free-agent deal with the YankeesNew York Yankees this offseason and get 19 chances a year to punish Boston.

"He wants to play for the Yankees so he can get at the Red Sox," a close friend of Ramirez's told The Post.

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/does_manny_have.html)

LAFord
08-09-2008, 07:52 PM
"You see, Bostonians..." sounds very condescending, like you're lecturing a child about something they don't know.
Well, it wasn't meant to be that way. I see now why you thought so, my apologies.

I figured most Boston fans didn't realize how massive this area was and more importntly how spread out the Dodger fanbase is here. We have good attendence in L.A., but a lot of fans drive up to 100 miles 1 way to the stadium. I drive 60 myself, very typical.

What I'm trying to say is this area is not a densly populated "baseball town" or even a "sports town" like I figure Boston and N.Y. are. People here are more interested in movie , rap, rock, and pop stars than sports stars. Many athletes float around totally unnoticed here. I've seen it quite a few times.

N.Y. might be big and diverse enough to "melt in", but what about the brutal media and fans? Does Manny handle that stuff well? You all know him better than I, what do you think?

Dirty Dirk41
08-09-2008, 07:52 PM

As for your earlier question:

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/does_manny_have.html)

Oh well...Let em go to NY...i dont care...Yankees need some god damn pitching. Manny is just a rotten piece of ****

Osiagledknarf
08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If he's really whining about wanting to hurt the Red Sox, then he's a bigger piece of douche than I thought. Why? Does he honestly think the Red Sox wronged him in some way? All they did was pay him $20 million a year and provide him with a ridiculously good supporting cast and a chance to win a ring year after year...and he got two out of it. What's he mad at? Because we let it be known that it's not acceptable to withhold on your current contract because you're worried about your next one? Because he's concerned that might have hurt his free agent prospective? Please...then don't be an A-hole in the first place, Lamo. There's nothing anyone can do about it, but he obviously withheld services and he's obviously a scumbag.

I hope the Dodgers can get what they need out of him this season, then he gets an ACTUAL knee injury fixing his stupid grill and can't play anymore.

Also, let's hope Scott Boras gets raped by Satan or something.

LAFord
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I hope the Dodgers can get what they need out of him this season, then he gets an ACTUAL knee injury fixing his stupid grill and can't play anymore.Thanks:)

Also, let's hope Scott Boras gets raped by Satan or something.
Unlikely my friend.
Boras will rape Satan. Boras rapes EVERYONE!

Jeremy5150
08-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Unlikely my friend.
Boras will rape Satan. Boras rapes EVERYONE!

Actually. Boras is Satan's agent too and has been for a few years now. Boras is rumored to get a 5-6 % commission on general morality disputes, possessions, and soul recoveries.

Raiders1951
08-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah, they really need to "investigate" the situation.

1) It's pretty obvious by Ramirez inability to play games that he wanted out of time.

2) It's pretty obvious by Ramirez comments that he was working his way out of boston.

3) It's pretty obvious that Boras had something to do with it.

It's pretty obvious that Boston fans will want to compensate the Raiders with a first round pick too. Moss let it be known he was umhappy. Moss intentionally ran at half speed. Moss intentionally ran the worng routes. Moss intentionally dropped balls. He got what he wanted just like Manny.

Get over it and quit your whining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cocossox
08-10-2008, 01:41 AM
I like bay on our team 6-2 so far please lets move on from manny ramirez imo we've got bigger fish to fry! c ya Manny I won't miss ya.

iam brett favre
08-10-2008, 02:40 AM
How can they prove he didnt try?

lil'papi
08-10-2008, 08:47 AM
^^ They can't.

Moss didn't have a supporting cast, Moss had been left out of the offense. Moss hadn't won two championships. Moss wasn't the second highest paid guy in his sport.
How can you blame us? We aren't blaming the dodgers?

BB is about integrity. I wish BB has non-guaranteed contracts same with basketball these self annoited a-whipes would be gone in two seconds.

Football has non guaranteed contracts. Manny doesn't have one! Basically can do anything he wants then whine like a kotex and demand a trade ,play like crap , run when he feels like it, push down the elderly, fight teammates in camera view, miss planes on purpose, and he STILL GETS PAID! :mad:

lil'papi
08-10-2008, 08:52 AM
It's pretty obvious that Boston fans will want to compensate the Raiders with a first round pick too. Moss let it be known he was umhappy. Moss intentionally ran at half speed. Moss intentionally ran the worng routes. Moss intentionally dropped balls. He got what he wanted just like Manny.

Get over it and quit your whining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got a fourth rp , blame your senile owner Al Davis.....:rolleyes:

Osiagledknarf
08-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Actually. Boras is Satan's agent too and has been for a few years now. Boras is rumored to get a 5-6 % commission on general morality disputes, possessions, and soul recoveries.

I legitimately "laughed out loud" when I read that. Awesome.