PDA

View Full Version : Williams has surgery (UPDATE: Out until November, pg. 3)

monkey balls
08-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Didn't see this posted, ****** news

The organization that has had three first-day draft picks spend their entire rookie season on injured reserve over the last two season has had another serious injury.

First-round draft pick Chris Williams has had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back. The plan is to keep him on the 53-man roster at this point, but when the offensive tackle will be able to return, no one can say.

The Bears are considering adding a veteran, including ex-Bear Fred Miller, and have already cleared a roster spot by placing running back Matt Lawrence on injured reserve.

The Bears are comparing the situation to what cornerback Charles Tillman underwent last season. Tillman had surgery following Super Bowl XLI to repair a herniated disc. That surgery happened in February and he was not cleared to fully return to drills until June.

If Williams follows a similar timetable, his chances of playing this season would have to be considered slim. Tillman is a cornerback. As a lineman, Williams is taking pounding on every play.

Williams was injured July 24 in the second practice of training camp, a non-contact drill. The team said it was a muscular issue but when that issue calmed down, they detected the disc issue. Team physician Mark Bowen and Dr. Srdjan Morkovic performed the surgery late Wednesday night.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/firstround_pick_williams_has_b.html

Soop
08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
:sigh: :sad2:

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-07-2008, 09:04 PM
****ing horseshit all this after your hold out you little *****

Sox Appeal
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
The Bears got screwed into picking this guy.

Way to go your homework Jerry. :up:

freaknasty23
08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
god damn first pick!!!!!!!!!!

Soop
08-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Guys relax, you can't help these things.

monkey balls
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Word is the whole NFL including the Bears knew he has had back issues in the past.

Soop
08-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Word is the whole NFL including the Bears knew he has had back issues in the past.

Link?

monkey balls
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Link?

I've heard it a couple times on the radio but here's something from the Sun Times

Brad Biggs reports rookie offensive tackle Chris Williams has undergone surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back. Fox announcers said it isn't considered major, and there's no timetable for his return. The Bears say the injury is unrelated to back problems Williams had at Vanderbilt.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1097291,earlybear080708.article

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM

He mentioned in an interview having similar problems in college

Sox Appeal
08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Link?

There where TONS of rumors going on during the draft about him having back problems, and that's the main reason he slipped down to the Bears.

CuseDude87
08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I've heard it a couple times on the radio but here's something from the Sun Times

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1097291,earlybear080708.article

Regardless of whether they're related or not, one back problem or many is too much for me. I hope this isn't an injury that haunts him his entire career... :sigh:

DamnGoat
08-07-2008, 10:09 PM

B/c he got hurt they were screwed into picking him?

He's still a big time talent at LT. If he misses the season then that really sucks, but does that mean he was a bad pick? Absolutely not.

Cubsfan162512
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
this sucks:sad2::shrug::sigh:

urlachermess
08-07-2008, 11:18 PM
ya no **** im fricken pissed....some people say so what but come on everyone was hoping this guy would come in and be a stud. because of this the bears have to re sign gdamn fred miller..... o my lanta how many false starts u gunna get this year fred.... shoulda took mendenhall JA!!! and tooks a LT in the 2nd round come on cant we catch a beak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-ONE TICKED OFF BEARS FAN

ChiCubs54
08-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Damnit, that sucks. :sigh:

Sox Appeal
08-07-2008, 11:37 PM
ya no **** im fricken pissed....some people say so what but come on everyone was hoping this guy would come in and be a stud. because of this the bears have to re sign gdamn fred miller..... o my lanta how many false starts u gunna get this year fred.... shoulda took mendenhall JA!!! and tooks a LT in the 2nd round come on cant we catch a beak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100%, bud. And this is just more proof Jerry Angelo isn't qualified for his job..:pity:

Soop
08-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Are you ever going to stop talking about Mendenhall? :pity:

Nobody knew Williams was going to get hurt, we still have our LT for the future. I'm a little depressed he's going to miss most or maybe the whole season but wishing we should've drafted someone else isn't going to change anything.

Soop
08-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree with you 100%, bud. And this is just more proof Jerry Angelo isn't qualified for his job..:pity:

Do you guys ever see the good moves he makes?

The General
08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Everyone calm down, even with Williams we dont have a LG (beekman is a backup center, no matter how much I love him he's too small to play guard). So next year when we draft a stud Guard we will have a complete o-line with Williams Draft pick-Kreutz-Garza-Tait.

This guy is not Mark Columbo!

NaturalRampage
08-08-2008, 12:32 AM
During the game the announcer said the medical staff said they don't expect this to be a major factor in his rookie year. They said there is no such thing as minor back surgery, but as far as back surgeries go this is about as minor as they get. I don't believe it because anything that can go wrong certainly will but for some reason it made my stomach ache die down a bit.

bears118
08-08-2008, 01:05 AM
I've been looking around for more information and actual it looks bad. Actually on more than one website there are rumours going around that he is actually done for the season.

northsider
08-08-2008, 05:45 AM
**** happens it sucks but that is sports its alright the sky isn't falling.

northsider
08-08-2008, 05:48 AM
I've been looking around for more information and actual it looks bad. Actually on more than one website there are rumours going around that he is actually done for the season.

Then how about giving a link to one of these websites where they spread "rumours" aka rumors.

turnaround3
08-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Here's the way I see it:

If it's really so "minor," he's probably not shut down for the season.

Was Chris Williams your X factor in the Bears making the playoffs?

If not, then he'll be back in time for the playoffs should the Bears make them anyway. So, nothing lost except some early experience.

If so, you probably need to seriously reconsider your methods of analysis and team outlook projections.

Bulldog76
08-08-2008, 09:21 AM

He's still a big time talent at LT. If he misses the season then that really sucks, but does that mean he was a bad pick? Absolutely not.

When Branden Albert was still on the board and had a clean medical history, yes it means the pick was a bad one...the kid is likely to miss the season and the pick will be wasted for this season...if we are going to have him enter into his first live action in his second year under contract, we will have lost a year of servitude in his contract, so if he does pan out in a year or two down the line, we will be that much closer to shelling out the big money to keep him.

The reality is that with an injury history in his back and knees, that should have been enough of a red flag to look somewhere else...

I have also heard that Fred Miller has been contacted by the Bears and that they are going to move Tait back to left tackle...so this re-vamped offensive line is going to look the exact same as last year, minus Beekman/ Reed / Metcalf for Ruben Brown...WHICH SUCKS!

Free agency was loaded with offensive lineman and Angelo and company didn't go after a single one...now explain that one to me...

Bulldog76
08-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Everyone calm down, even with Williams we dont have a LG (beekman is a backup center, no matter how much I love him he's too small to play guard). So next year when we draft a stud Guard we will have a complete o-line with Williams Draft pick-Kreutz-Garza-Tait.

This guy is not Mark Columbo!

Oh we know...Colombo made it into the regular season for a few weeks before being lost to injury, this guy may have another "red shirt" season (as Angelo puts it)...BEFORE THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME!!!!!!

NaturalRampage
08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
When Branden Albert was still on the board and had a clean medical history, yes it means the pick was a bad one...the kid is likely to miss the season and the pick will be wasted for this season...if we are going to have him enter into his first live action in his second year under contract, we will have lost a year of servitude in his contract, so if he does pan out in a year or two down the line, we will be that much closer to shelling out the big money to keep him.

The reality is that with an injury history in his back and knees, that should have been enough of a red flag to look somewhere else...

I have also heard that Fred Miller has been contacted by the Bears and that they are going to move Tait back to left tackle...so this re-vamped offensive line is going to look the exact same as last year, minus Beekman/ Reed / Metcalf for Ruben Brown...WHICH SUCKS!

Free agency was loaded with offensive lineman and Angelo and company didn't go after a single one...now explain that one to me...

Ok here ya go...

1.) Albert is a converted guard and far from the sure thing we needed. Williams at the very least will be serviceable adn Albert could be a bust, which we just couldn't afford. Williams is a top tier pass blocker, but needs some work on his run blocking. Albert is a beast at clearing holes for the running back (at least from the inside), but needs quite a bit of work on pass protection, especially at a new position and the most important position on the offensive line. Anyone that knows football will tell you it is easier for a young lineman to improve his run blocking that his pass blocking.

2.) Albert is hurt right now and missed the preseason game as well.

If any of you actually watched the game last night the line looked good with St. Clair and Beekman on the left side. Most of the runs actually went to the left side and were effective. Forte looks like he could be really special too, but that's a bit off topic.

As far as the free agents are concerned: drafting a star left tackle covers that position and lets Tait move back to RT where he is more comfortable and effective. Center is locked down obviously, and guard is covered by an underrated, overachieving Roberto Garza and either Terrance Metcalf who is solid or Josh Beekman if he reaches his potential. The other guard will be a good reserve along with John St. Clair who can play both G and T positions. Add a few late round draft picks for depth and you are pretty well set. Other than the few premier FAs none would have been a sure upgrade over what we have and all that would have resulted is not having the money to lock up Harris, Urlacher, Hester, etc. and sign Kevin Jones and possibly a veteran 3rd string QB like Chris Simms.

Bearscubs4life
08-08-2008, 10:56 AM
This isn't the best news we could get about a 1st round pick. The line was such a trouble spot lasyt year and imo that was a huge reason in our o struggles. Now it seems as though we may be back at square one again. If this injury was not known about by the front office you can not fault them for the pick, any body can be hurt at any time. If the did have an idea about this back problem the are stupid S.O.B.'s. The best we can hope for is a guy to step up this year and take the sting away. I know it sucks but what is done is done. Buckle up because it is going to be a crazy ride.

beardown1985
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Marc Columbo had talent too.... and even though there was nothing we could do to see it at the time we drafted him, he still turned out to be a bad pick in my eyes. unfortunately, if Williams can't get on the field, any talent that he might have is all meaningless.

Lets just hope Mendenhall, Albert, etc all have ****** careers so I don't have to kick Jerry's *** for passing on them...

DaSox_05
08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Nice to see Jerry Angelo yet again FAIL with another first round pick. I heard on Mully and Hanley this morning that they said a few guys from the NFL Network knew that Williams had back problems and reported it and other teams scouts were aware and Jerry said he knew he had back issues but said that they weren't a concern. What ya thinking now Jerry moron. Know the Bears have to go to the retirement home to get back some old friends to put into the O-line. Way to go Jerry!!! Anybody know when his contract ends???

Soop
08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Nice to see Jerry Angelo yet again FAIL with another first round pick. I heard on Mully and Hanley this morning that they said a few guys from the NFL Network knew that Williams had back problems and reported it and other teams scouts were aware and Jerry said he knew he had back issues but said that they weren't a concern. What ya thinking now Jerry moron. Know the Bears have to go to the retirement home to get back some old friends to put into the O-line. Way to go Jerry!!! Anybody know when his contract ends???

He's locked until 2013.

DaSox_05
08-08-2008, 11:52 AM
^Damn he needs to be fired or someone does. The Bears need someone that knows how to evaluate 1st round offensive talent. I will give Jerry the benefit of the doubt on his defensive picks and late round picks. but the Bears need to get better on the offense fast.

urlachermess
08-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I could do a better job then JA does honestly....someone recommend me please!!!!

BrewCityBuck
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I really feel bad for you guys, I went on Fanhouse's NFL blog and the top story read....BEARS FIRST ROUND PICK ALREADY A BUST. Thats just brutal.

Marcus McNeill of the Chargers also had some back issues coming into the NFL, and that made him fall, he made the pro-bowl his rookie year and played at a high level. Sometimes these things end up being nothing, sometimes in Williams' case, they do.

Soop
08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I really feel bad for you guys, I went on Fanhouse's NFL blog and the top story read....BEARS FIRST ROUND PICK ALREADY A BUST. Thats just brutal.

Marcus McNeill of the Chargers also had some back issues coming into the NFL, and that made him fall, he made the pro-bowl his rookie year and played at a high level. Sometimes these things end up being nothing, sometimes in Williams' case, they do.

I guess he's a bust this year because he's injured, but reallly **** Fanhouse's NFL blog anyways.

DamnGoat
08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
How is a guy that's yet to play in a single game a bust? He got hurt, that sucks.

But I guess by that logic any Rookie that gets hurt before the season is a bust.

So, let's switch sports. In the NBA, Greg Oden is a huge bust already right?

Some of you people seriously need to stop overreacting about injuries that our out of the GM's control. You have no idea if he's going to come back and completely suck or completely dominate....but yeah, you're right he's a giant bust already. :rolleyes:

Fuselage
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Take a look at all the injured players out there. Here's a list. You'll notice we have fewer players on the list than anyone:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/injuries

Are all of these guys busts because they're injured? Are all their GM's idiots for picking them? I don't think so. S**t happens. Most of the injured guys were expected to fill a big role this year, so it's not like we're alone. The Chiefs we played just last night had two first round linemen out alone! Williams is at least the third or fourth 2008 first round draft class lineman injured prior to this season's start. There were only 31 first round picks, so that's a pretty big percentage. And everything I've read about his specific injury - herniated disc - shows that it is not at all related to the problem he had FOUR YEARS AGO as a freshman. And he hasn't missed a game since then.

So, yes, this sucks donkey balls, but it's not due to negligence & it's not something that should never happen. We need to get over it & be grateful our injury list isn't worse. Nobody got hurt last night & that's a big deal. It's pretty tiring to hear every negative thing that happens get blamed on Angelo. Bleacher Report had a ridiculous article today talking about how Angelo is an idiot because Williams is injured & then later said that the Bears best hope is Kevin Jones. How freaking contradictory can people get! Put it in perspective.

Soop
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Take a look at all the injured players out there. Here's a list. You'll notice we have fewer players on the list than anyone:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/injuries

Are all of these guys busts because they're injured? Are all their GM's idiots for picking them? I don't think so. S**t happens. Most of the injured guys were expected to fill a big role this year, so it's not like we're alone. The Chiefs we played just last night had two first round linemen out alone! Williams is at least the third or fourth 2008 first round draft class lineman injured prior to this season's start. There were only 31 first round picks, so that's a pretty big percentage. And everything I've read about his specific injury - herniated disc - shows that it is not at all related to the problem he had FOUR YEARS AGO as a freshman. And he hasn't missed a game since then.

So, yes, this sucks donkey balls, but it's not due to negligence & it's not something that should never happen. We need to get over it & be grateful our injury list isn't worse. Nobody got hurt last night & that's a big deal. It's pretty tiring to hear every negative thing that happens get blamed on Angelo. Bleacher Report had a ridiculous article today talking about how Angelo is an idiot because Williams is injured & then later said that the Bears best hope is Kevin Jones. How freaking contradictory can people get! Put it in perspective.

:clap: Fuselage, I'm going to rape you.

bearsfaninmd
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I have to agree with turnaround3. Two years ago, we had the same offensive line and we made the super bowl. Granted, they took a step back last year, but are you telling me that Chris Williams was to come in and save the day? Injuries happen, that is life. All you chicken littles out there proclaiming that sky is falling because one player got injured are overreacting. One person dost not a team make.

Fuselage
08-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Not if it's consensual, big boy
:love:

Fuselage
08-08-2008, 04:32 PM

Holy crap. I grossed myself out with my own post. At least it's a good excust to use the puke icon.
:puke:

Soop
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM

Holy crap. I grossed myself out with my own post. At least it's a good excust to use the puke icon.
:puke:

click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZDG6__Zfc)

spartanbear
08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
What! Oh No...a Bears Player Gets Hurt...christ I Aint See This One Coming At All... Why?! :rolleyes:

Ronhaus
08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Boy this reminds me of Marc Columbo!!!

DamnGoat
08-09-2008, 12:56 AM
ChicagoSports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080808-chicago-bears-chris-williams-back,1,4431087.story)

Doctors told Williams after Wednesday's surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back that he should expect to be out 10 to 12 weeks, a source said Friday. That would make the Nov. 2 game against the Lions in Week 9 the earliest date Williams could contribute to the Bears offensive line—if he contributes at all.

haris23
08-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Hm. Hm. Hm.

Well. Atleast he can play seven games... and the postseason :pray: ?

SDBearsFan
08-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Shoulda Gone With Mendenhall??? What?

God Damnit

ChiCubs54
08-09-2008, 01:19 AM
ChicagoSports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080808-chicago-bears-chris-williams-back,1,4431087.story)

At least he won't be out for the whole season.

azbearfan
08-09-2008, 01:23 AM

WWWHAAAAAAAAAAT???
:laugh:

alew510
08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
yeah this stinks
well forte just gonna have to run over more guys to make up
for the weaker oline

Soop
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Shoulda Gone With Mendenhall??? What?

God Damnit

Not again Diego. If we took Mendenhall, we would've never got Forte. Give it a little time, you'll see what I'm talking about.