PDA

View Full Version : Tell the Truth

ohdouger
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Tell the truth, aren't we tired of going into every off-season wondering if this is Alex Smith's breakout year? I mean come on, I realize he has had more Offensive Coordinators than Brett Farve has logged air miles, but jeez! At some point in time, he has to step up and be the man! I think Green Bay is more excited to start Aaron Rodgers and he was picked 24th that year. I am tired of us wishing, hoping and praying. It is time for him to put up or shut up. No way at this point in his career should he be wondering if he is going to be the starting QB. If he is supposedly ready, he should have put this to bed during mini camp. I am tired of wasting our time on this guy. If I was Nolan and my job was clearly on the line, no way would I hitch my wagon to this horse. He should be far more developed than what he is. I am not sure even the offensive guru Martz will be able to show him the light. I hope I am wrong, I am not so sure, and with the season fast approaching, that concerns me. Because I think we have enough talent on this team to definetly make the playoffs in that weak *** division. Nuf said.

FNM BOY
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
^^AGREED...but some will make excuses for him no matter what!! However this is his year to prove his worth as #1 selection.....personally i just see him as a bust...hope he proves me wrong.

Thatruth32
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
well with me being tha truth i think this is rite up my alley....

I think we all feel what you are saying.. but most qbs take about 3-5 yrs to really show what they have... like you said he has a diffrent system each year... they guy besdies gore really hasnt had any help around him at all..... we were 2-0 last year before he got hurt....

this is his year to prove it. he has some help around him this year ... this is his put up or shut up year... and i think he will be fine..

BTW i wanted rodgers and im not some huge alex fan so i think im being fair and in what i said and giving him this year or at least the first half of the year to see what this guy is made of...

most forget terry bradshaw took 5 yrs untill he did ANYTHING. then he won 4 rings...

FNM BOY
08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Hopefully Smith finds his groove.

FrumDaBay
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
i too wanted rogers, but i hope smith shows us what hes got.. if not.. kiss him and nolan g'bye

Tmac416
08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Tell the truth, aren't we tired of going into every off-season wondering if this is Alex Smith's breakout year? I mean come on, I realize he has had more Offensive Coordinators than Brett Farve has logged air miles, but jeez! At some point in time, he has to step up and be the man! I think Green Bay is more excited to start Aaron Rodgers and he was picked 24th that year. I am tired of us wishing, hoping and praying. It is time for him to put up or shut up. No way at this point in his career should he be wondering if he is going to be the starting QB. If he is supposedly ready, he should have put this to bed during mini camp. I am tired of wasting our time on this guy. If I was Nolan and my job was clearly on the line, no way would I hitch my wagon to this horse. He should be far more developed than what he is. I am not sure even the offensive guru Martz will be able to show him the light. I hope I am wrong, I am not so sure, and with the season fast approaching, that concerns me. Because I think we have enough talent on this team to definetly make the playoffs in that weak *** division. Nuf said.

no i dont think you really do understand any of that. or how long it takes to develop oe. espially one that was the youngest in the league. who didnt get a good or even decent qb coach until norv. which he then had a good year. give it a rest. its year 4. the year when you can relaly tell. he is right on time. if you knew what was said about him at draft time you would know it was clear it would take 4 years.

ohdouger
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
No doubt this is it. We paid him a ton of cash, and I realize like you guys said it usually takes a QB about 4-5 years before he is good to go. But my patience is wearing thin, I am used to us being talked about as a "contender", especially in the NFC. Beating San Diego in the Super Bowl seems so long ago. I am ready to go back! But does it say what we all are thinking, when on another thread we are discussing signing Chad Pennington to push Alex? Christ he has the arm strength of a snail. He has got to realize this is his year, otherwise he can call Tony Mandrich and find where the all-time bust team is meeting next year! :mad:

Thatruth32
08-07-2008, 05:46 PM
^ that was before any salery cap... and our owner got kicked out the league lol .....

but i miss those days as well :sigh:

NorCalzimm
08-07-2008, 05:47 PM
No excuses- If Martz cannot help Smith become a quality starting NFL QB then he is officially A BUST!

SEAN21REDSKINS
08-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Alex Smith Is A Bust, He Made 9 Million Last Year Also....ouch!

ohdouger
08-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Can you imagine paying a guy 9 mil for those stats. I don't care what year in the league he is. 3 things I wish for Christmas: 1. The Yorks sell the team. 2. Nolan gets canned. 3. They take their three QBs and package them in a trade for a backup offensive guard.

TrialNError04
08-07-2008, 06:09 PM
This isn't particularly difficult to argue over. Mike Martz has made turned Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger and Jon Kitna into either pro bowlers or at least above average QB's in this league. If Smith can't perform at least adequately (I know, setting the bar real high here) then you can offically tab him a bust and will be in search of our next quaterback of the future.

ohdouger
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Totally agree. But there is zero chance Alex will be a pro-bowl QB in the NFC. No way he is OR will be in the top three in the conference. We can hope that Martz delivers and makes him a decent/good QB.

WillisLovechild
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
i kinda feel you on this, but ur undervaluing how hard it is for a rookie to learn a new system every year. remember the one year he actually had a reputable OC he actually did fairly well? now that he's got another one, i see him improving. though, this is the last year for the smith/nolan experiment if they screw up. and people should be more excited for rodgers, he's had three full years to do nothing but learn and progress behind one of the greatest ever. now he gets to step in with a very solid team around him. if he doesn't have a better career than smith, i'd consider him more of a bust than smith.

Thatruth32
08-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Can you imagine paying a guy 9 mil for those stats. I don't care what year in the league he is. 3 things I wish for Christmas: 1. The Yorks sell the team. 2. Nolan gets canned. 3. They take their three QBs and package them in a trade for a backup offensive guard.

they guy was 2-0 and got hurt... give him a break... and he put up decent stats when he had a good O cord.... damn give tha guy a break we all know its possible he is a bust but at least give him this season or least half of this season...

bigmac8675
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
If Martz can help Alex improve... well, its time to move on via draft, trade, FA.

lxl Lou zer lxl
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Let's just be like the Bears & Sexy Rexy.

mtt1er
08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
well he had a terrible coaches, garbage wr's and he was hurt last year. i think he'll be decent this year. i think he is our guy and martz will find a way to make it work.

ohdouger
08-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Believe me, I want Alex Smith to succeed. I would like nothing better than for him to be the niners QB for the next 12 years. It just gets old every preseason we are wondering if he is going to be the starting QB. If he is all that, then he should have absolutely no problem beating out Hill and JT. I am just saying. I would hope this will be it. I think we can all agree that this year either has to be a break out year, and we see definite progress or we move on. I just don't want to go to training camp wondering who the starter is. I mean seriously did we ever think that the number 1 pick in the entire draft would be in a battle for his job with Hill and JT? I mean those guys might not even make other teams rosters, and we are considering them as starters in the most important position. Either way, I hope we have a great season, and hopefully get to the playoffs.