PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Eastern Conference

phlp_bj
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
1. Boston Celtics: NBA Championships merit top seeds in preseason rankings. The Celtics are returning their entire starting lineup and even though they have to overcome the departure of James Posey, the Big Three should still be enough to keep near the top of the standings. Not to mention, the young Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins are coming back even tougher and more experienced after practicing against Team USA.

2. Cleveland Cavaliers: There is only one thing that makes the Cavaliers the second-best team in the East: LeBron James. Simply put, Bron Bron is one of the top-5 players in the NBA. Put almost any group of players beside him (see their championship run from two years ago) and James' team would succeed. With that being said, it doesn't hurt that the offensive (Delonte West, Wally Sczerbiak) and defensive (Ben Wallace) talent acquired in last season's late trade will have some more time to get acclimated to playing with King James.

3. Detroit Pistons: GM Joe Dumars declared there were "no sacred cows" on the Pistons after they were bounced by the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals and speculation flew of them dismantling their veteran core. It will be up Michael Curry, recently hired as head coach, to get this group of former champions to play up to their potential, but the biggest question is whether these veterans have another title in them.

4. Philadelphia 76ers: Many counted the 76ers out before the start of last season only to find the fiery running team making a legitimate run at the postseason. With Elton Brand in Philadelphia the question is no longer if they will make the playoffs, but what seed they will earn. If the 76ers can bring Andre Iguodala back -- which head coach Mo Cheeks is confident they will do -- this team is poised to make one of the biggest turnarounds in the league next season.

5. Toronto Raptors: The Raptors needed another rebounder and got one of the most proven big men in the league. If he can stay healthy, the duo of Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh could be one of the most dominating frontcourt duos in the East. Jose Calderon also gives the Raptors consistency (and impeccable ball handling) as their only starting point guard. They may not be the most experienced group as a whole, but this tandem of talent should be enough to get the Raptors out of the first round of the playoffs.

6. Orlando Magic: Rashard Lewis was supposed to help Dwight Howard lead the Magic on a deep postseason run. That didn't happen. The Magic fell short in the playoffs and have done little to spark hope for a championship next season. They will need more than Mickael Pietrus off the bench to make up for their thin backcourt, which boasts a mediocre point guard in Jameer Nelson and the rarely-used-but-never-traded J.J. Redick. Howard's shoulders are not big enough to carry this team.

7. Washington Wizards: Who would have thought that the Wizards would have a better record last season without Agent Zero? Arenas will be looking to make up for lost time, but it's questionable whether the Wizards will be better with him in the lineup. Even though Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler are good enough to make any team a contender, the jury is out on Arenas' ability to lead a team to the playoffs and beyond.

8. Indiana Pacers: Watch out for this season's version of the Atlanta Hawks. The Pacers have been discounted from playoff talks since the days of Ron Artest but they finally have the pieces they need to contend. Combine the emerging Danny Granger and recently acquired T.J. Ford with veterans Jeff Foster, Mike Dunleavy Jr., and Troy Murphy, and the Pacers have a lineup that could be good enough to grab the eighth seed in the East.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9710

bball1217
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I feel that the Magic are to low and the Cavaliers are to high IMO.

daleja424
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
hahahahaha at Indiana being higher then Milwaukee and Miami!!!!

rapswin98
08-07-2008, 02:43 PM
cavs are to high, magic have a better team

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry, but Ben Wallace is not a "defensive talent" anymore. Cleveland is too high, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the lower seeds.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Miami doesn't deserve to be high, and with Milwaukee's poor defensive team shouldn't be either.

Cavs probably should be lower, I would think more of a 4, and this is coming from a Cavaliers fan. I am glad Hoopsworld thinks highly of the Cavs but in all likely hood it won't happen.

_Sn1P3r_
08-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Magic are too low IMO. They should be 2 or 3.

philab
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
These rankings are pretty good actually. Arguments could be made to switch Detroit and Cleveland, Toronto and Orlando, and/or Indiana and just about any other team left off. Other than those possibilities, everything else seems about right, and frankly I'd leave it just how it is.

pwest6
08-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Indiana will end up with the 6-7th seed. HHHHAAAHAHAAAHAH at all the people who keep hatin' on em. You'll see. :smoking:

MOHA
08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Haha The Pacers in The Playoffs. Aren't you forgetting teams like The Heat, Bulls, Bucks, and probably The Nets or Knicks.

knicks1214
08-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd take the Magic over the Pistons next year...it's just another year Howard develops and the players around him get better. Hedo is going to be the same, if not better, and same with Rashad. I would put them third. Indiana 8th?? idk about that...I would put them the 9th seed...or maybe it's too close to call with them and Miami...but the Knicks last place?? That's not going to happen...they are better than the Hawks, Bobcats, and Nets...The Net's have 0% chance of making the playoffs...don't even mention them.

midwestmadman
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Haha The Pacers in The Playoffs. Aren't you forgetting teams like The Heat, Bulls, Bucks, and probably The Nets or Knicks.

No.

midwestmadman
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd take the Magic over the Pistons next year...it's just another year Howard develops and the players around him get better. Hedo is going to be the same, if not better, and same with Rashad. I would put them third. Indiana 8th?? idk about that...I would put them the 9th seed...or maybe it's too close to call with them and Miami...but the Knicks last place?? That's not going to happen...they are better than the Hawks, Bobcats, and Nets...The Net's have 0% chance of making the playoffs...don't even mention them.

No.

midwestmadman
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
The Cavs will be 4 if they are lucky.

The real list:
1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Toronto
5. Philli
6. Cleveland
7. Washington
8. Atlanta

I could see the 3 teams numbered 4 to 6 flipped all around as I think all three of them will have very similar records.

pwest6
08-07-2008, 03:56 PM

The HEat will make the playoffs, the wizards wont because someone will get hurt. But I'm not forgetting the Bulls or Bucks

pwest6
08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
The Cavs will be 4 if they are lucky.

The real list:
1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Toronto
5. Philli
6. Cleveland
7. Washington
8. Atlanta

I could see the 3 teams numbered 4 to 6 flipped all around as I think all three of them will have very similar records.

Atlanta wont make the playoffs, they haven't gotten that much better if at all.

torontosports10
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Cavs are to high. I really believe the Bucks will come in 6,7,8th seed.

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Miami should be in the number 8 spot instead of the pacers
and wow the bulls at 12

NYMetros
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
No Miami? I think they will bounce back this year and grab a playoff spot.

bogdanrom
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
The HEat will make the playoffs, the wizards wont because someone will get hurt. But I'm not forgetting the Bulls or Bucks

We'll still get in, even if it's a 8th seed. We can lose any of the "big" 3 and still get in. Of course if we lose two then i'm going to be :mad:

Master P
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I dont agree with hoopsworld on those projections. I did my own premature eastern conference rankings on my blog...which i shamelessly promote as opposed to typing everything again:

http://jurassicplayground.blogspot.com/2008/07/blog-post.html

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I dont agree with hoopsworld on those projections. I did my own premature eastern conference rankings on my blog...which i shamelessly promote as opposed to typing everything again:

http://jurassicplayground.blogspot.com/2008/07/blog-post.html

The Cavaliers won't be an 8th seed.. They still are better then Wizards, Hawks, and I also think they are better then the Raptors and Sixers.

18colts29
08-07-2008, 07:00 PM

The Heat had the second pick for a reason, they suck and are overated by everyone. The Bulls have been the surprise team to get a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs the last few years and haven't got there. The nets aren't going anywhere this year with losing 2 of their big 3. The Knicks are the Knicks, do I need to say anymore about them. The Bucks can challenge for 8th, but I think Pacers will get 6th, so they won't be challeging the Pacers for 8th.

philab
08-07-2008, 07:01 PM
These aren't predicted playoff seeds, they are Eastern Conference RANKINGS.

It may seem like an unnecessary distinction, but the Spurs have shown us time and time again that a team's regular season performance (i.e. seed) is not always a great indicator of their postseason performance.

This is why I have a hard time believing anyone who thinks any team other than Boston or Detroit can take Cleveland in a 7-game series. Cleveland may end up with the 4 seed, but they are better than the 4th best team overall.

18colts29
08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Well thats where hoopsworld thinks they will finish the year, so why not make playoff seed predictions.

HiphopRelated
08-07-2008, 07:18 PM
1-Boston
2-Detroit
3-Orlando
4-Philly
5-Cleveland
6-Toronto
7-Washington
8-Miami

----------

9- Bucks
10-Hawks
11-Chi
12-Charlotte
13-Indy
14-Nets
15-Knicks

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
People are overrating the Heat. They still need a quality big man and decent bench players to able to compete for a playoff spot.

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
People are overrating the Heat. They still need a quality big man and decent bench players to able to compete for a playoff spot.

i would say they are being underrated they are sleepers these season:cool:
this offseason isnt done yet just watch riley will make some trades

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
i would say they are being underrated they are sleepers these season:cool:
this offseason isnt done yet just watch riley will make some trades

But we're basing these rankings are of right now. Right now, they've got no bench or a decent big man, so I can't put them on my top 8 right now.

We'll see as the season roll... ;)

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
But we're basing these rankings are of right now. Right now, they've got no bench or a decent big man, so I can't put them on my top 8 right now.

We'll see as the season roll... ;)

yea amen :clap:

knicks1214
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Cleveland has the best player in the NBA on their team(tied with Kobe)...everyone saw him wreck against detroit two years ago when he, single-handedly beat the pistons and last year when he, yet again, took the champion celtics to 7 games...they are going to have the 2nd best record in the east...i still don't believe the knicks are the 15th team in the east...they are a hell of a lot better than the nets and bobcats...

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Cleveland has the best player in the NBA on their team(tied with Kobe)...everyone saw him wreck against detroit two years ago when he, single-handedly beat the pistons and last year when he, yet again, took the champion celtics to 7 games...they are going to have the 2nd best record in the east...i still don't believe the knicks are the 15th team in the east...they are a hell of a lot better than the nets and bobcats...
Lebron cant keep doing that his whole career, he needs a 2nd scorer right now if they want to contend for the championship again, and they will not have the 2nd best record in the east

johni04
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Orlando is easily top 3

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Heat won't make the playoffs, I don't even know how you can make the assumption they will. Pacers do have a better chance then them, Mike d, and Danny G are both becoming good players. They still have solid players like Ford, Foster, and Murphy as well. Heat just don't have a complete team yet.

knicks1214
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
I understand that he can't keep doing that his hold career...but he did it against Detroit...and he took Celtics to 7 games...BY HIMSELF...Cavs might not have the 2nd best team in the east but they have the best player in the eastern conference who can carry his team...that's why they will have the 2nd best record...I take the heat over the pacers probably...wade, marion, and beasley is a pretty good trio of players...altho dunleavy, granger and ford is good also...

RickG77
08-07-2008, 11:51 PM
It's nice to come here and see actual commentary on this story, unlike the Magic fan-fest on the original article's message board. I agree with you guys that the Cavs won't be the 2nd seed in the playoffs but as far as "power rankings" go, this is pretty accurate. I wonder where the Cavs will be in their preseason predictions because I think the Magic and Pistons will get a higher seed than them.

goku
08-08-2008, 12:32 AM
do they have 1 for the western conference

Dirty Dirk41
08-08-2008, 12:44 AM
The raptors getting out of the first round....Nooo Way...The Pacers will be in the hunt for the first pick....Magic were a 3 seed last season and got better this off-season....stupid list

Catfish1314
08-08-2008, 12:50 AM
1. Boston
2. Orlando
3. Detroit
4. Cleveland
5. Philadelphia
6. Milwaukee
7. Washington

8th seed is just too hard. Bobcats add Brown and a lottery pick. The Bulls get rid of an awful coach and add a 1st overall pick. The Heat get healthy again and add Michael Beasley to what they already had. Then there's still the Hawks and Raptors.

THE MTL
08-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Iono why ppl count the Heat out the playoffs with a healthy Dwade and Shawn Marion. Plus, Michael Beasley seems ready to make an impact.

cmellofan15
08-08-2008, 12:55 AM
1. Boston
2. Orlando
3. Detroit
4. Cleveland
5. Philadelphia
6. Milwaukee
7. Washington

8th seed is just too hard. Bobcats add Brown and a lottery pick. The Bulls get rid of an awful coach and add a 1st overall pick. The Heat get healthy again and add Michael Beasley to what they already had. Then there's still the Hawks and Raptors.

I like that list except I wouldn't have Milwaukee 6 I would put Toronto there and have Milwaukee fighting for number 8. Thats just my opinion.....

Ph1lly Diehard
08-08-2008, 12:58 AM
It's a good list but i'd swap Orlando and Cleveland around

Dirty Dirk41
08-08-2008, 01:09 AM
1. Boston
2. Orlando
3. Detroit
4. Cleveland
5. Philadelphia
6. Milwaukee
7. Washington

i respect you, for leaving the raptors out of the picture...

Catfish1314
08-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Iono why ppl count the Heat out the playoffs with a healthy Dwade and Shawn Marion. Plus, Michael Beasley seems ready to make an impact.

If it's Dwayne Wade from 2006, they may have a very legit argument. But I'm not sure what kind of resume their new coach is packing and they have some of the worst depth in the Eastern Conference.

I like that list except I wouldn't have Milwaukee 6 I would put Toronto there and have Milwaukee fighting for number 8. Thats just my opinion.....

I think Scott Skiles is going to open a lot of eyes with that team. They added Richard Jefferson and Joe Alexander to what they already have in Redd, Mo-Will, and Bogut (who's improving every year). They're deep, talented, and very well coached. I see no reason why they shouldn't be in the playoffs.

I can't put Toronto much higher until I see what kind of impact JO can make on their team. Their defense is still poor, Delfino has bolted, Bargnani hasn't panned out, just a lot of question marks on that team for me.

*Superman*
08-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Cavs at 2? :confused:
Magic at 6? :pity:
Indy at 8? :confused:

Whoever made this article should be fired. They think that Pietrus will come of the bench, when he will be the starting SG. Come on now, we can do better than that.

cmellofan15
08-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Cavs at 2? :confused:
Magic at 6? :pity:
Indy at 8? :confused:

Whoever made this article should be fired. They think that Pietrus will come of the bench, when he will be the starting SG. Come on now, we can do better than that.

Whoever did that needs to be fired. Obviously the Magic are #2. Indy 9-13. Cavs 5-8

RickG77
08-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Since these are power rankings and not playoff predictions, it makes sense to have the Cavs above the Magic. The Cavs made it to the NBA Finals in 07 and were "thisclose" to knocking off the Celtics last season (keep in mind that series came down to a big shot by PJ Brown and the world's luckiest free throw by Paul Pierce).

I think early exits in the playoffs actually hurt the Magic's power ranking because it's a waste of talent (Dwight, Rashard) if they still go home early. Until the Magic can prove something in the postseason, they do not deserve to be ranked above the Cavaliers.