PDA

View Full Version : Porter's impact on the Suns

Voodoo Alchemy
08-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I know much can be said about Porter taking over a team that essentially has Mike's DNA written all over it in terms of the offensive personnel. One thing to keep in mind is that this may be a added benifit for Porter since he likes the uptempo style. When he coached the Bucks, I think they were one of the highest scoring teams.

Here's a few key points to keep in mind, he was the lead assistant in Detroit the last 2 years. For whatever it's worth, Detroit was one of the top defensive teams and very successful in the development of their bench, especially Rodney Stuckey, Aaron Affalo and Jason Maxielle.

I can only wonder how much of the post-Piston magic can actually rub off on these Suns. Can Porter get these guys to play individual and team defense? Will Porter emphasize the development of guys like Dragic, Lopez, DJ and Tucker? Can he transform Barbosa into a better defender? How will Diaw respond to the high expectations that surrounds him? Will the accomplishments and respect of Cartwright have an lasting impression on Stoudemire? There's a lot of questions to be answered.

I don't think the Suns have what it takes to win a title, however I do feel they are going to improve in all aspects. Win or lose, Porter is the right guy for the job. At least he gives the Suns a fighting chance because of defense and a deeper bench. I'm glad Mike is in NY, especially when he's trying to instill the same game plan over there. Mike is going to realize how hard it's going to be without a guy like Nash.

chadillachembre
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I believe this team has what it takes to win a title. I expect to be amazed at how well the suns will play with an emphasis on defense. I also expect the use of our bench to do wonders as well. These basic coaching fundamentals will take this team to a higher level. Im high on some TP im going to make the call he will win coach of the year. thats what i honestly believe. If he doesnt win i expect him to have high consideration

Rome
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
^agreed. He's gonna turn all are soft players into badasses. Haha. Were gonna see a much better defensive team and the same offensive team. He'll do wonders for all our youngs and I do see amare and barbs improving slightly on d. He'll actually use our bench and develope our youngs. Great overall coach and perfect for us this season.

STAT32
08-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Forget about our offense suffering, I think Nash knows the up-tempo offense just as well as Mike D if not better. We will be looking at a very very well rounded team this year. Our defense and rebounding will signifigantly improve I think.

If there is anything Amare has shown us, it's his willingness to devote himself entirely to one thing. I really believe he will be a good defensive player next year.

Overall, this team is much better suited for a deep run into the playoffs than it was last year.

ptransfer
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Mike's offense got stale last year; once the shock of a fast paced offence wore off on the NBA Mike seemed incapable of adapting and changing, especially when Shaq came in. I think TP will benefit Raja and a lot of the younger guys, but i hope he has a little finesse when it comes to Diaw, Barbosa and Stoudemire. I think these guys were used to being coddled in Mike's system and might need some delicate attention to look at and work on their deficiencies.

I hope he really focuses on improving Stoudemires help defence. I think he will always struggle defending back to the basket players, but i think he could be a premier shot blocker/weak side defender/rebounder (ie. in the mould of Marcus Camby). Than just develop Lopez into a post defender.

By the way my dream defensive lineup for the suns:

PG: Strawberry
SG: Raja
SF: Hill
PG: Lopez
C: Stoudemire

I hope i get to see this once through the year. No one would score against us. And just let Hill and Stoudemire run the offence!!!!

God of War
08-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I pretty much agreed with everything that's been said so far about Porter. At first, I wasn't on board with the signing but the more I think about it, Porter is the right choice if he can bring some of the toughness from Detroit. I hope he can develop the young guys but also give them playing time and let them learn from their mistakes. Even a guy like Marcus Banks would've been good under Porter but Mike screwed with his head and Banks was just thinking too much. Mike had a way of playing guys early, only to pull them from the rotation later in the year, i.e. House, Skinner, James Jones.

FreedomReigns
08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I pretty much agreed with everything that's been said so far about Porter. At first, I wasn't on board with the signing but the more I think about it, Porter is the right choice if he can bring some of the toughness from Detroit. I hope he can develop the young guys but also give them playing time and let them learn from their mistakes. Even a guy like Marcus Banks would've been good under Porter but Mike screwed with his head and Banks was just thinking too much. Mike had a way of playing guys early, only to pull them from the rotation later in the year, i.e. House, Skinner, James Jones.

I agree. Banks just didn't fit D'Antoni's system. He probably would have been a decent backup on this years squad.

chadillachembre
08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=ptransfer;6196945]Mike's offense got stale last year; once the shock of a fast paced offence wore off on the NBA Mike seemed incapable of adapting and changing, especially when Shaq came in.QUOTE]

oh ya man ive though coach D never seemed to be able to adapt his coaching style. It was like there was no plan B or back upo plan. If his philosophy didnt work he was useless

PhxGiant
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah our offense will be fine especially with Nash, and i expect our defense to lead to some very easy buckets, and we will finally get a better half court game for when things slow down. I'm calling it right now, look for DJ with the developement to be a surprise like Stuckey.

Rome
08-08-2008, 06:35 PM
^ maybe not that far, but I do see DJ having a few breakout games.

chadillachembre
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Im excited to see DJ in his spot duty this year. i think he will be extremely efficiant

Funbunch5
08-11-2008, 11:45 PM
My prediction is DJ and Alando won't even be on the team next year. There is a reason Mike didn't play these guys and Porter will soon realize that. DJ's offense is atrocious and at times looks completely lost. Alando is a PF in a SG's body. Unfortunately, most tweeners don't make it in this league. IMO the only reason Porter will get more out of the bench is because we have more depth. Right now we go 9 deep with Alando and DJ not in that 9

I hope Porter can keep the offensive philosophy he had in Milwaukee that way we continue to have a high octane fun team to watch. If the offense can be just as effective as it was with Mike D, than all the Suns need to do is play mediocre defense to be contenders.

Voodoo Alchemy
08-12-2008, 01:29 AM
My prediction is DJ and Alando won't even be on the team next year. There is a reason Mike didn't play these guys and Porter will soon realize that. DJ's offense is atrocious and at times looks completely lost. Alando is a PF in a SG's body. Unfortunately, most tweeners don't make it in this league. IMO the only reason Porter will get more out of the bench is because we have more depth. Right now we go 9 deep with Alando and DJ not in that 9

I hope Porter can keep the offensive philosophy he had in Milwaukee that way we continue to have a high octane fun team to watch. If the offense can be just as effective as it was with Mike D, than all the Suns need to do is play mediocre defense to be contenders.

I agree about DJ and Tucker. I wouldn't go as far as them being cut but if I had to pick between the 2, I would rather have DJ. We need to stop trying to make DJ into the heir to Steve Nash. DJ doesn't have the NBA game yet. If he modeled his game after Bruce Bowen, I'm sure he can find employment in the league for a very long time. It's not always about offense.

As for playing mediocre defense, isn't that what led to the Laker's demise against the Celtics?

Play perfect defense...or play not! - Yoda

tadjock
08-12-2008, 03:26 AM
I think TP would improve the Suns' defense. which they would need in the playoffs

J-Relo
08-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Hopefully he will make our team better, at least defensively...

king4day
08-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I agree about DJ and Tucker. I wouldn't go as far as them being cut but if I had to pick between the 2, I would rather have DJ. We need to stop trying to make DJ into the heir to Steve Nash. DJ doesn't have the NBA game yet. If he modeled his game after Bruce Bowen, I'm sure he can find employment in the league for a very long time. It's not always about offense.

As for playing mediocre defense, isn't that what led to the Laker's demise against the Celtics?

I remember that in the deleted scenes. It was right before Luke got his hand cut off. He heard Yoda talking via the Force.

Luke's Defense was not good that day :pity:

Rome
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
True DJ's defense was the only reason we drafted him. If he works on his j and a few other aspects of his game he can turn into a decent backup on a solid team getting sufficient minutes. Also with Tucker, if he puts in the dedication and works on his game he too could be a decent NBA player for many years. I personally would like to see them develope and stay in phoenix and become full time backups and maybe even starters eventually.

Funbunch5
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Don't compare the Lakers pitiful skills to the fire power of the fully operational battle tested Phoenix Suns!!!! - Emperor :D

Alright I think I have geeked out enough for the day.

God of War
08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Don't compare the Lakers pitiful skills to the fire power of the fully operational battle tested Phoenix Suns!!!! - Emperor

Keeping with the spirit of things...

Young Amare Stoudewalker, no one ever told you but you are my son!!! Search your feelings and you will know it's ture!!! Come, join me and let me finish your training. Let us rule the NBA galaxy as father and son. I will teach you the ways of the darkside and help you become a defensive Jedi Master. It is your destiny!!! - Lord Vadar

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

PhxGiant
08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
^^^^ Hahahaha priceless. I can't help myself....it's up to Captain Nash-Solo,Amare Stoudewalker, and The Force AKA Shaq, to destroy the eastern conference death star and bring balance and the championship to the Valley Of the Son.

Rome
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Haha nerds^ pricless guys lol jk.

amare#1
08-20-2008, 07:47 AM
It is clear that the four players we have picked up since Porter was hired are a typical example of 'actions speak louder than words'. He has already turned phoenix from a small running and gunning offensive team without defense, into a large team with a defensive edge that has plenty of guys that are willing to get dirty and bang around in the post. As far as Shaq adjusting to Porter which will obviously be our biggest challenge, it has been said that Porter has aura of respect with both the way he played and how he coaches. This should get Shaq to pull his head in for the team and actually listen to Porter I think. Although I haven't seen a single game played with Porter as head coach, I am already enjoying the Porter era of the Phoenix Suns!

Tom81
09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Terry Porter - Phoenix Suns

This may not come as a big surprise to you, but Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr thinks the Suns need to play better defense.

Kerr's priority on the defensive end - ironic, given that he wasn't exactly a lock-down defender during his playing career - was one of the biggest stories in the NBA last season, leading to the Shaquille O'Neal for Shawn Marion trade and the departure of Mike D'Antoni.

Kerr's choice to implement the new philosophy is former Bucks coach and Pistons assistant Terry Porter - a teammate of Kerr's from his San Antonio days.

As with the Mavericks, the best-case scenario for Phoenix is a sort of "reverse Adelman" - implement the new guy's philosophy on one end of the court, but maintain some semblance of the old guy's successful system on the other.

Points won't be a problem - with Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire on hand, you could plug in three guys from the average rec league team and still score 90. But will guys like Nash, Stoudemire, Grant Hill and Shaquille O'Neal improve enough on defense to make up for the inevitable decline in scoring? Enough to get Phoenix the championship that's clearly their goal?

Seems iffy.

For fantasy purposes, the biggest impact might be on the second-tier players. Every year, it seemed, the D'Antoni/Nash combination would turn an otherwise unheralded bench player into a legitimate fantasy stud. Raja Bell. James Jones. Boris Diaw. Leandro Barbosa. Before the coaching change, we'd strongly consider the seventh man on the Suns over starters on a lot of teams. Today, that really isn't the case.

http://www.nba.com/fantasy/draftkit/Coaching_Changes_200809-281573-1998.html

nba.com

article about new coaches .

amare#1
09-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Based on a bunch of articles and reports etc I've got to say that so far I'm pretty happy with the hiring of Porter. I know its early days, we haven't actually seen it in action, and hes just talked the talk and hasn't walked it yet. When I heard that D'Antoni was off to NY I was happy, and then when Kerr announced the candidates for the new coach I was keen on Elston Turner and didn't really like Porter. Since then I've really warmed up to Porter though. IMO he has been part of a great off-season, and as long as Dragic and RoLo live up to their hype, he has been part of a solid draft. Based on articles and blogs etc it seems that he has made the team bigger, tougher and enforced a blue-collar work ethic. IMO this is what Phoenix needed. Most of all though, all sources say that he is really concentrating on defense which is great. We've always had decent role playing defenders (Bell, Skinner and Linton Johnson), but it sounds like Porter is focused on team defense... which the Celtics showed last season is really the key. After all, defense does win championships. By the all-star break if we can get our team defense down pat, we will be set IMO. We will always be fine on offense because of the lineup and the mindset which D'Antoni imposed on the team. Lets just hope that Porter, his team defense, and most importantly the players manage to walk the talk.