PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson says: 'Mavericks' window has closed

JordansBulls
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Source: DallasNews (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/08/magic-johnson-mavericks-window-has-close.html)

He was discussing how precious legitimate championship chances are when he dropped in this little nugget on the Mavs.

"You saw the Dallas Mavericks had that window, and that window closed on them," Magic said. "So it can close real fast."

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
is been close since they play the heat in the finals

Zefflin
08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
What a douche, how could he say that when they all haven't even played a full season together...

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I Think the mavs are going to surprise alot of people next season. i think Carlisle is a MUCH better coach than Avery Johnson. i think Rick will do wonders for the mavs team. Kidd and Dirk will have a full season to work as a tandem. Mix in quality role players like J.Howard, J.Terry, Dampier, Bass,Stackhouse, Diop.

futureman
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
First round exit.

cali72888
08-07-2008, 01:23 PM
k im sorry but when you have a player with no heart(dirk), a player who should be retired(kidd), and a player who doesent really care about playing in the nba(howard) its kind of hard to win a championship. this team needs to be blown up and they need to start from the ground up.
if they were to trade dirk howard and kidd, they could get a young core of players to rebuild with, the only problem is mark cuban is an idiot and will never get rid of his mistakes.

t-mac1nukka
08-07-2008, 01:31 PM
mark cuban is far from an idiot. hes turned that team completely around since hes had them. not only that hes made billions...how again is he an idiot?!?!

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
k im sorry but when you have a player with no heart(dirk), a player who should be retired(kidd), and a player who doesent really care about playing in the nba(howard) its kind of hard to win a championship. this team needs to be blown up and they need to start from the ground up.
if they were to trade dirk howard and kidd, they could get a young core of players to rebuild with, the only problem is mark cuban is an idiot and will never get rid of his mistakes.

i wont read anything u write ever again.....Cuban is a billionaire..a idiot??? ahh man people amaze me.

Jwizel_hitshrs
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Window closed realistically when Nash left....IMO

dre1990
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
is been close since they play the heat in the finals

agreed

jgonboricua
08-07-2008, 02:06 PM

i agree, let kidds contract expire and see wat you can get for howard and dirk....no way you beat teams like new orleans/houston/jazz/with SA phoenix and portland to a lesser extent

Devils05
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Window closed realistically when Nash left....IMOYeah. They'd have both Nash and Harris right now.

Storch
08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
k im sorry but when you have a player with no heart(dirk), a player who should be retired(kidd), and a player who doesent really care about playing in the nba(howard) its kind of hard to win a championship. this team needs to be blown up and they need to start from the ground up.if they were to trade dirk howard and kidd, they could get a young core of players to rebuild with, the only problem is mark cuban is an idiot and will never get rid of his mistakes.

i agree with the bolded statements. Plus, the mavs are too soft to be a WC power.

rapswin98
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
they'll make the playoffs but imo the mavs are downhill.

mightybosstone
08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
IMO, the Mavs will go down in history with the old Stockton, Malone Jazz, Kemp, Peyton Sonics, and Bibby, Artest, Miller Kings as those perennial playoff teams that just couldn't ever win the finals. They came as close as any of those teams, though.... but you can't go up 2-0 in the finals and lose the way they did.

Do I think they're still a good team? Yes and I still think it's likely that they could make a deep run in the playoffs with the team they have now. Do I think they have a realistic chance at the finals? No. The best chance they had was the first round exit against Golden State. I think if they had gotten past the first round then they would have won it all, but they got taken off guard early on.

NBAdyNASTY
08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
He's right. All he is saying is that the window closed on them. Reality is that Dallas lost in the first round in the 2007 playoffs, and then didn't even make the playoffs in 08'. So, he's just calling it how it went down. It doesn't mean they can't improve. The window may open again, but it doesn't look good with LA, NO, Utah, and now Houston on the rise.

Utahjazzfan18
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
He's right. All he is saying is that the window closed on them. Reality is that Dallas lost in the first round in the 2007 playoffs, and then didn't even make the playoffs in 08'. So, he's just calling it how it went down. It doesn't mean they can't improve. The window may open again, but it doesn't look good with LA, NO, Utah, and now Houston on the rise.

Dallas did make the playoffs in 08, they lost to the NO. Their current roster however will never get them past the second round if even the first.

NBAdyNASTY
08-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Dallas did make the playoffs in 08, they lost to the NO. Their current roster however will never get them past the second round if even the first.

You're right, my bad. But they sure haven't improved since their defeat in the finals.

fresh prince
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
What a douche, how could he say that when they all haven't even played a full season together...

You are not allowed to move to LA now.. sorry

You can disagree with the Man all you want but don't ever ever refer to the GOAT as a"douche"

:confused:

MassoDio
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
You are not allowed to move to LA now.. sorry

You can disagree with the Man all you want but don't ever ever refer to the GOAT as a"douche"

:confused:

He didn't...he referred to Magic as a douche...not Michael.

Anyways....Magic is right. Their window did close. Jason Kidd may get benched by the olympic squad. The guy's ability are declining fast. He still has the brain, just not the actual ability to play at a level that makes him effective enough to lead a team very far. Especially in the Western conference where there are a glut of great pg's that he has to contend with. I think Dirk's game is great, and unique, but he is just not a leader. He can be the best player on a winning team, just not the leader. They need to blow up this team while the players still have really good trade value, and can get a good return. They could make a fairly quick turn around if they don't wait until it is too late to trade players with value (Howard, Dirk)

#1Mavericksfan
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Isn't this the same guy the said the Lakers would beat the Celtics in 6 games?...nobody cares what Magic has to say but I can't wait untill the season starts all this hate the Mavs are getting.

bogdanrom
08-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Isn't this the same guy the said the Lakers would beat the Celtics in 6 games?...nobody cares what Magic has to say but I can't wait untill the season starts all this hate the Mavs are getting.

He played for the Lakers and hated the Celtics. What do you expect him to say? The Western Conference is too tough these days. Plus Kidd isn't getting any younger. I still think that they can make it to the playoffs but as a low seed 7 or 8.

THE_LOGO
08-07-2008, 04:26 PM
IMO, the Mavs will go down in history with the old Stockton, Malone Jazz, Kemp, Peyton Sonics, and Bibby, Artest, Miller Kings as those perennial playoff teams that just couldn't ever win the finals. They came as close as any of those teams, though.... but you can't go up 2-0 in the finals and lose the way they did.

Do I think they're still a good team? Yes and I still think it's likely that they could make a deep run in the playoffs with the team they have now. Do I think they have a realistic chance at the finals? No. The best chance they had was the first round exit against Golden State. I think if they had gotten past the first round then they would have won it all, but they got taken off guard early on.

Bibby, Artest, Miller teams were never perennial playoff teams. They made it once and barely made noise by staying with eventual champion Spurs. Perhaps you meant Bibby, Peja, Webber Kings? Even then, those guys never made the finals like your Utah and Sonics examples.

THE_LOGO
08-07-2008, 04:34 PM
He didn't...he referred to Magic as a douche...not Michael.

Anyways....Magic is right. Their window did close. Jason Kidd may get benched by the olympic squad. The guy's ability are declining fast. He still has the brain, just not the actual ability to play at a level that makes him effective enough to lead a team very far. Especially in the Western conference where there are a glut of great pg's that he has to contend with. I think Dirk's game is great, and unique, but he is just not a leader. He can be the best player on a winning team, just not the leader. They need to blow up this team while the players still have really good trade value, and can get a good return. They could make a fairly quick turn around if they don't wait until it is too late to trade players with value (Howard, Dirk)

First of, are you then agreeing that Magic is a douche? I don't even want to get started.

Second, why do people insist of blowing up a team with a core of Dirk/Howard whose just getting to their prime. Bad acquisitions and free spending put them where they are right now - barely teetering to make the playoffs. With the right moves, such as a trade for another big name player for Kidd, and not signing full MLEs for backup centers, this team can contend again.

MassoDio
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
First of, are you then agreeing that Magic is a douche? I don't even want to get started.

Second, why do people insist of blowing up a team with a core of Dirk/Howard whose just getting to their prime. Bad acquisitions and free spending put them where they are right now - barely teetering to make the playoffs. With the right moves, such as a trade for another big name player for Kidd, and not signing full MLEs for backup centers, this team can contend again.

No, I wasn't agreeing that Magic is a douche. I was merely pointing out that the poster who called Magic a douche did not call the GOAT a douche. It was cheesy way of saying that Michael is the GOAT, not Magic. I was just crackin a joke.

Second, I just don't believe, the way that the Mavs are currently contructed, that they will be able to contend at a championship level any longer. Making a few tweaks, in my opinion, does not put them at an elite level. Simply put, I don't believe they have any tradeable assets that will net them anything in return that will vault them to a championship. So they either stay with what they have, and hope to get to the second round, or trade the assets they have while they have at least some value left. I wasn't saying that they were not still good. I just don't think they are good enough. Unless as a fan, you are happy with first or second round exits every year.

mightybosstone
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Bibby, Artest, Miller teams were never perennial playoff teams. They made it once and barely made noise by staying with eventual champion Spurs. Perhaps you meant Bibby, Peja, Webber Kings? Even then, those guys never made the finals like your Utah and Sonics examples.

My point was that the Kings were really good over the past decade and WERE a perennial playoff team (regardless of the fact that I got a few players confused) like the Mavs. And I never said they made the finals, did I? By correcting me, you're completely missing the point entirely.... Fail.

vigilantex69
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
agreed

I'll 2nd that. Not keeping Nash was the biggest mistake in Mavericks history.

THE_LOGO
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
For any fan, especially someone as spoiled as us Laker fans, rebuilding is not an option. Given that, I think you can agree that Dirk is still a star. Heck, he's only two years removed from being MVP. The formula for contention is when you get a player such as Dirk, you just surround him with other talents. Another all-star that complements Dirks strenghts is a start. You'd be lucky to land 3 such as Boston, Lakers, Houston, etc. Then you surround them with complementary players. I still believe, as boneheaded as he is, Howard is that other complimentary allstar. Either Donnie is stupid for the decisions that he made with putting the pieces together or he has no backbone. Get a smarter/stonger (that can stand up to Cuban) GM in there and they can still contend. Its not as if money is an issue (such as for the Lakers). Dallas doesn't care about going over the cap.

Here's an example of how their management fails. They sign Diop to full MLE and no one is even in contention for his services. Lakers let go of Turiaf for less than the MLE even though he was an integral part of our bench (more so than what most people say is just cheerleading). Trust me, he's more important to us than you think. On top of it, he's Kobe's best friend on the team. Another is when they pulled the trade for Kidd. I'm sure the little general wasn't thrilled of his aquisition, just as D'antoni wasn't thrilled with the arrival of Shaq. The coach and upper management needs to be more in tune. Given those examples, those coaches are gone.

TheBatchelor213
08-07-2008, 05:15 PM
might be true, but Magic should shut up.

THE_LOGO
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
My point was that the Kings were really good over the past decade and WERE a perennial playoff team (regardless of the fact that I got a few players confused) like the Mavs. And I never said they made the finals, did I? By correcting me, you're completely missing the point entirely.... Fail.

I understand you point. You just failed to give a good example in the Kings. They were "arguably" in contention for 3 years. As far as my estimation, a decade consists of 10 years. The Mavs have made the playoffs every year this decade unlike the Kings.

Although how funny that you screw up and yet I fail.

mightybosstone
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
might be true, but Magic should shut up.

No he shouldn't.... he's making a very valid point about how hard it is to succeed in the NBA and how hard it is to make the finals. And I think that most people would agree that this current Mavs team isn't exactly a championship contender without any additional trades or moves.

TheBatchelor213
08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
No he shouldn't.... he's making a very valid point about how hard it is to succeed in the NBA and how hard it is to make the finals. And I think that most people would agree that this current Mavs team isn't exactly a championship contender without any additional trades or moves.

to some degree your point is taken, but he always seems to be publicly making statements and issuing his opinions on many things, the point may be valid to a certain degree but I have heard him talk out of his ***** alot so I would just rather not hear him issue his opionions any more and stick to watching old highlights of him. just my opinion though.

mightybosstone
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
to some degree your point is taken, but he always seems to be publicly making statements and issuing his opinions on many things, the point may be valid to a certain degree but I have heard him talk out of his ***** alot so I would just rather not hear him issue his opionions any more and stick to watching old highlights of him. just my opinion though.

Yeah, but you could say the same thing about a LOT of former players in coaches in every sport. Look at Barkley! As former players, they have a more valid opinion than ours, because they're experts of the subject. Why are they announcers and analysts and not you and me? As crazy as they so often are, they're SUPPOSED to have opinions as analysts and former students of the game.

lalakobe24
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
mavs suck i mean they let dwade rape them in the finals not to mention let kobe score 62 in three quarters dnt even get me started on golden state

mightybosstone
08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
mavs suck i mean they let dwade rape them in the finals not to mention let kobe score 62 in three quarters dnt even get me started on golden state

Seriously.... wtf is up with your avatar?

tc2deuce
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
They did some dumb roster moves...I think Terry has to go and they def. need an inside threat.I would have loved to seen Augustine as the future PG.
Youth is important and they got rid of Devin Harris which I think will hurt them later on. So Cuban has to get another scorer and either find another big man or hope Diop can step up his game to another level! IMO I still think the Mavs door will be open for awhile due to the fact that Cuban is the owner and he wants to win badly!

Hustla23
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Nobody's going to give up good young players and draft picks for Dirk and Kidd so they might as well stick with them and try to win it all.

They should have traded Josh Howard for Ron Artest. With the return of Diop and the rise of Brandon Bass, the Mavericks will be contenders again.

THE_LOGO
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Nobody's going to give up good young players and draft picks for Dirk and Kidd so they might as well stick with them and try to win it all.

They should have traded Josh Howard for Ron Artest. With the return of Diop and the rise of Brandon Bass, the Mavericks will be contenders again.

I would give as many draft picks AND anyone on the Lakers besides Kobe, Pau, and Bynum for Dirk. But the point is they won't do that. Dirk is not on the decline yet.

And don't you think you may be putting too much value in Diop and Bass. Diop will never surpass the likes of Dampier, Foyle, Mbenga, etc. Bass is young and have yet to prove himself. Its not as if he's got Bynum "potential".

#1Mavericksfan
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM

please get started! atleast the Mavs didn't get beat down by almost 40 points in the NBA Finals like the Lakers did remember that? I don't even wonna get stated on Golden State because the only highlight that there franchise has and is ever gonna have is beating the Mavs in the first round because there done.

mamba24
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
First round exit.

Amen

mamba24
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
please get started! atleast the Mavs didn't get beat down by almost 40 points in the NBA Finals like the Lakers did remember that? I don't even wonna get stated on Golden State because the only highlight that there franchise has and is ever gonna have is beating the Mavs in the first round because there done.

ya the lakers lost one game by 40... at least it was 4 STRAIGHT losses after being up 2-0!!!!!!!! thats way more embarrassing

JordansBulls
08-07-2008, 10:33 PM

What does that mean? Should they allow mediocore guys to beat them down or something?

#1Mavericksfan
08-07-2008, 11:10 PM
ya the lakers lost one game by 40... at least it was 4 STRAIGHT losses after being up 2-0!!!!!!!! thats way more embarrassing

Ok...you guys got ran off the court the first 2 games in Boston...you almost lost game 3 because nobody on your team did anything besides Kobe and Sasha Vujacic...In game 4 the Lakers blew a 24 point lead at home in a game the Lakers had full control off and should have never lost...In game 5 if it wasn't for Kobe and that seal and dunk you guys would been lost that series...In game 6 you guys lost buy almost 40 point in a blow out and you wonna call the Mavs lost embarrassing atleast the Mavs were competitive in there game 6 lost and didn't get ran off the court the Lakers did.

TheBatchelor213
08-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, but you could say the same thing about a LOT of former players in coaches in every sport. Look at Barkley! As former players, they have a more valid opinion than ours, because they're experts of the subject. Why are they announcers and analysts and not you and me? As crazy as they so often are, they're SUPPOSED to have opinions as analysts and former students of the game.

I would much rather here Charles talk out of his ***** rather than Magic

BlondeBomber41
08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
One mans opinion, good for him.

I dont take anything he says seriously though because it could be his AID's medicine making him delusional.

JordansBulls
08-09-2008, 01:08 AM
One mans opinion, good for him.

I dont take anything he says seriously though because it could be his AID's medicine making him delusional.

:speechless:

t-mac1nukka
08-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Ok...you guys got ran off the court the first 2 games in Boston...you almost lost game 3 because nobody on your team did anything besides Kobe and Sasha Vujacic...In game 4 the Lakers blew a 24 point lead at home in a game the Lakers had full control off and should have never lost...In game 5 if it wasn't for Kobe and that seal and dunk you guys would been lost that series...In game 6 you guys lost buy almost 40 point in a blow out and you wonna call the Mavs lost embarrassing atleast the Mavs were competitive in there game 6 lost and didn't get ran off the court the Lakers did.

why do you keep using "lost" instead of the correct term "loss" huh?

other than that i agree! if lakers fans are gunna hate on the mavs for finals...look at the last two finals the lakers have been in!!!!! very uncompetitive!!!!

cbs134679
08-09-2008, 03:43 AM

I always hated the mavs..lol dirk always got those phantom calls against us

Shieldsz
08-09-2008, 03:44 AM
I expect them to do well, and just blow it like they always do come playoff time.

DaddyCool
08-09-2008, 03:54 AM
LOL, another first round exit, another new coach.

innovator
08-09-2008, 07:47 AM
i agree the window has closed on the mavs since they have no chance of winning the ship next year... only teams who have a chance of winning it next season are lakers,hornets,spurs(odd year),rockets,celtics,pistons,cavs

barreleffact
08-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I Think the mavs are going to surprise alot of people next season. i think Carlisle is a MUCH better coach than Avery Johnson. i think Rick will do wonders for the mavs team. Kidd and Dirk will have a full season to work as a tandem. Mix in quality role players like J.Howard, J.Terry, Dampier, Bass,Stackhouse, Diop.

yea...carlisle is a much better coach than a man w an above 60 win percentage that took a team to the finals that had been struggling in the playoff for years...yes. carlisle who had been kicked out of quite a few places before is better than avery joohnson...even better than phil jackson too right? and yes, teh mavs will shock a bunch of ppl...if they make the playoffs at all. competition is getting harder and te west is pretty much booked. lakers, hornets, rockets, jazz, spurs, maybe the suns, portland is possible and id take them over the mavs, i mean itll b a fight just for the final 3 and we all know how the mavs are when it comes to fights....06 finals...

barreleffact
08-09-2008, 07:56 AM

thats not why they suck...kobe and wade are 2 of the top 5 players in the league...if thats the only reason you suck, then you may win a title or 2...they suck just because as a unit they arent solid and because they are weak

barreleffact
08-09-2008, 08:00 AM

yea...when the mavs were in the finals they blew a 2 game lead and let 1 player....ONE!!!!! beat them. i think kobe lost to an actual team when his didnt show. and considering the mavs didnt come close to the finals this year and the fact that boston is better in everyn position...its somewhat safe to assume evry game would have been a blowout against the mavs...maybe not 40 points but 39 every game...thad burn too, but considering stern wanted boston to win...idve given up too...(game 2) get it

Knicks845
08-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Idk, about "closed' but "closing rapidly" is better they still have three all-stars, Jason Kidd, Dirk, Josh "My favorite Street Racer" Howard, and got younger this off-season, Diop, G. Green, they also have a good sixth man in, Jason Terry, so imo, they make the play-offs but the real "?" is, How far will they go?