PDA

View Full Version : Olympiacos To Offer LeBron $100 Million?

phlp_bj
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Two years, $100 million.

That's supposedly what Olympiakos, a team in Athens, is talking about offering LeBron James if he becomes an NBA free agent.

If he's offered that kind of money, one would guess he would just take it and make himself into that global icon that he has been talking about being. Head off for the Greek sunshine, islands and olives.

No NBA team — not even Jay Z and the New Jersey Nets — can come close to offering our LeBron that amount of money.

Some might scoff that LeBron would leave the N-B-of-A, but there are others who wonder if there might be some fire underneath this Grecian Smoke — which is not, by the way, the same as Grecian Formula, a hair-color product for men invented in the time of Heraclius.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/26368379.html

that is crazy!!!!!! 100million for just 2 years??? thats 50mil a year

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
LOL!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

are you serious? a european team can offer him $50 million per year?

that is CRAZY!

woah. what is this world coming to?

bogdanrom
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
LOL!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

are you serious? a european team can offer him $50 million per year?

that is CRAZY!

woah. what is this world coming to?

Well when you have billionaire owners you can afford $50 million per year. I bet Mark Cuban will give Lebron that kind of money if there wasn't a salary cap.

RapsFan4Life
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
woah, thats like nba team salary cap ... if he doesnt accept it he is a ****** ... i'd rather see kobe leave them lebron, james got game

CowboysKB24
08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
It would be somewhat funny to see the stars of the NBA leave because they are getting more money overseas. NBA would be ruined but then basketball would turn into a worldwide greatness.

CowboysKB24
08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
woah, thats like nba team salary cap ... if he doesnt accept it he is a ****** ... i'd rather see kobe leave them lebron, james got game

Kobe is the best player in the world. He has the most game in the world. LeBron said it himself. He knows it why don't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcq_WU5f40o

There is the link.

CowboysKB24
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
It starts about two minutes in.

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:11 AM
wow, but 50 million is ridiculous

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Kobe's too old to make them any money.

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Kobe is the best player in the world. He has the most game in the world. LeBron said it himself. He knows it why don't you?

There is the link.

calm down man. what do you expect from a Raptor fan? If Bosh dropped 81 on the Lakers I'd be depressed too.

DaddyCool
08-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Josh Childress is the highest paid player in Europe and he 'only' got about 8.33 million per year. 50 million a year in 2 years? Impossible. Maybe by 2040 or so they'll have 50 mil a year but by then so will the NBA.

Skins4Life
bye lebron... ill see you in a couple years

blujaysrock
good news LEbron goes there for 2 years comes back at 25 still not even in his 'prime' with 100 M in the Bank :laugh: i'd do it to.

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Josh Childress is the highest paid player in Europe and he 'only' got about 8.33 million per year. 50 million a year in 2 years? Impossible. Maybe by 2040 or so they'll have 50 mil a year but by then so will the NBA.

I don't understand why they took Childress either. They could've taken a high-flyer that would've made them more money, like Gerald Green or something.

mjrballer13
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
even tho he wants to be the best in the best league,a 100 mill wow thats insane for 2 yrs. He has to take it, that offer is crazy!!!!!

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
good news LEbron goes there for 2 years comes back at 25 still not even in his 'prime' with 100 M in the Bank :laugh: i'd do it to.

no, he comes back at 27. basically his prime.

blujaysrock
08-07-2008, 09:30 AM
no, he comes back at 27. basically his prime.

**** yeah sorry i forgot hes not a FA for 2 years. :o

younggunn113
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
People arent getting this...Yeah they can offer 50 million a year..Or he could go to an NBA team, in a big market, make the max salary. He could make prob about 23 million here. You dont think if hes in NY, Chicago, LA Nike could make up that difference in endorsments? Nike will not let him leave the US. So if he signs with the Knicks for 23 Million and Nike and Powerade and other endorsements increase their deals a little bit, he'll be making about 50 million here..He wants to be the best, nobody will remember him for his Euroleague championships or MVPs. Same with Kobe, he wants to be one of the best ever..You accomplish that by winning NBA championships and MVPs. You dont think Lebron already makes close to 50 million now with all his endorsements? I could see Nike pulling out if he leaves the US, hed still be making the same money, playing in essentially a minor league, and be playing against much inferior talent..Its all speculation, but id be my house and first born that he doesnt leave the US in his prime, maybe when hes older and in his late 30s...

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
**** yeah sorry i forgot hes not a FA for 2 years. :o

but do u think it'll actually happen?

I'm doubtful that a European team can afford that much,
the NBA, especially David Stern will go nuts.

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
People arent getting this...Yeah they can offer 50 million a year..Or he could go to an NBA team, in a big market, make the max salary. He could make prob about 23 million here. You dont think if hes in NY, Chicago, LA Nike could make up that difference in endorsments? Nike will not let him leave the US. So if he signs with the Knicks for 23 Million and Nike and Powerade and other endorsements increase their deals a little bit, he'll be making about 50 million here..He wants to be the best, nobody will remember him for his Euroleague championships or MVPs. Same with Kobe, he wants to be one of the best ever..You accomplish that by winning NBA championships and MVPs. You dont think Lebron already makes close to 50 million now with all his endorsements? I could see Nike pulling out if he leaves the US, hed still be making the same money, playing in essentially a minor league, and be playing against much inferior talent..Its all speculation, but id be my house and first born that he doesnt leave the US in his prime, maybe when hes older and in his late 30s...

you don't think some Italian company like Ferrari is gonna endorse him do you?
50 million + endorsements from Ferrari, pizza hut, lamborghini, gucci, prada, etc, and he's got himself $100 million per year.

vince carter
08-07-2008, 09:45 AM
what the hell is europe bringing all these nba players
like delonte west, boki nachbar, krstic, childress..... now LeBron James??????????????????????????

Newport05
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Well at least every one who did leave are 2nd rate trash other then childress who's nothing special himself.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
omfg thats a disgusting amount!!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
thats crazy money dude

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
if this happens David stern Better do something because other players will follow:mad:

this might lead to no cap in the NBA

JordansBulls
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Ridiculous to give him that, but if I were Lebron I would take it and come back to the NBA after that. Afterall he would still be 26 at that point.

vigilantex69
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Exactly, this is a joke. No European team is going to offer $100 million for only 2 years. NO WAY

Vegasguy80
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Moron, and Kobe doesn't? Come on now.

$50 mill is nuts. I don't see Lebron taking that. If he does he is a sellout and will end his career because it will be like playing against high school kids.

BALLER71
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM

$50 mill is nuts. I don't see Lebron taking that. If he does he is a sellout and will end his career because it will be like playing against high school kids.

No it's just that Kobe is older than Lebron.
And Lebron is the face of the NBA.

FreeseDogg
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Nike will not let him leave the US.

nike is a GLOBAL company. they would love to give him MORE exposure around the world.

He wants to be the best, nobody will remember him for his Euroleague championships or MVPs.

he also said he would consider playing in europe for $50 mil/year. think about pele's influence on soccer in the US in the 60s and 70s. that could be lebron in the euro leagues. pele is still remembered as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) of all time. why couldn't lebron?

I could see Nike pulling out if he leaves the US, hed still be making the same money, playing in essentially a minor league, and be playing against much inferior talent.

again, nike doesn't care if lebron plays in the NBA or in europe. they'll make tons of money off him regardless. as for the euros being a "minor league", have you watched international basketball at all? how about the US exhibitions? sure, they won all their games, but international ball is catching up and growing in popularity. just like how our soccer program is starting to catch up to the rest of the world.

and let's be honest, anyone lebron goes up against can be considered inferior talent. dude's a complete beast. let him do what he wants. i hope he stays in the NBA, but it's not a career killer to go to play in greece for 2 years and make an easy $100 million.

let's say you work at the best company in the world, the most productive, profitable, successful company in the whole world. one day you are offered a job that will pay you twice what the highest paid employ at your current company makes. can you honestly say you'd turn down that job to stay at the "better" company?

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
If this team does in fact offer him 50 million a year he HAS TO DO IT. No-One over there can stop Lebron. List all the names you want, he will not be stopped. His team would win the title as long as he plays. Like ppl have said he can come back in 2 years still 27 with LOTS of years left in the NBA to win titles, and achieve historic heights and break records. 100 million for just 2 years. If he doesnt do it hes a moron. Yes his dream was to be in the NBA, yes his dream was to win a title. But i dont think he ever imagine a team from overseas would throw him ridiculous amounts of cash. 50 million a year to dominate a league.he better do it. Ill HATE LEBRON IF HE TURNS THIS DOWN...that is if they do make the offer

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Exactly.......Who cares about competition when there waving 50 million in your face. 50 milion to come in an play and make everyone look silly. he will make the euroleague so much money. Everyone overseas will be rocking lebron james shoes, jerseys and his other merch. hes and idiot if he doesnt accept

bogdanrom
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

So far. Plus the owners have this kind of money. Not all of them. There are probably at most 5 or 6 owners that can give him that kind of money, but they can. To these billionaires 50 million dollars is nothing. The euro is so much stronger than the dollar too. This is all David Stern's fault though, by wanting to make the game global. Plus he'll have an option to leave after his first year. Also going to Europe will make Lebron more of a global player and he can advertise there too. He's not going there to win a Euroleague title. He doesn't care about that. He's going there to make money, for now and later.

bigmac8675
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
That amount of money is just ridiculous.... if someone is dumb enough to pay that much, shame on them.

albertc86
08-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I could see LeBron leaving for Europe for a couple years. It's not like Cleveland is going to put a team around him any way. Aside from him, the NBA doesn't have to worry about losing superstars. The superstars of today will leave for Europe in the latter stages of their career.

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 11:24 AM
If Lebron signs for 50 mill i could see David stern adding a division in the nba with euro teams like we heard about a while ago. that way stern doesnt lose lebron an he gets 50 million

Mr.ATLHawks
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Same bunch of high schoolers that been giving the USA hell in the Olympics and FIBA last few years. Lets face it, Europe's overall basketball talent has drastically improved. This combined with the fact that 1 dollar = .65 euro due to the Republican incompetence our country is dealing with right now is a reason why these players are jumping ship to experience new things. Yes the NBA is the League to be in but USA is not the country to be in anymore. Thise guys go over there to Europe and get treated like royalty, not included in Childress contract was greece taking care of housing, taxes and transportation.

So Lebrons 50 mill turns into 76 million when he comes back, provided the exchange isnt different. But overall I dont see whats the big surprise here.
Less media scrutiny and law enforcement meddling. Bigger fan following, just imagine soccer but basketball thats crazy...So I wouldnt feel any ill feelings toward any player that wanted to experience living abroad and something new..

doomaphonic
08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Remember, the Euro is strong right now. The Euro is worth about two U.S. dollars, which makes the offer about $25 million a year U.S. currency. That doesn't sound as far fetched. I doubt he would go anyways, but remember the currency conversion.:flag:

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
yea bye lebron have fun playing over there, is it now Wade Kobe Paul
the biggest stars now? :p

FreeseDogg
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
no...if they are offering him $50 mil/year, so he gets $50 mil/year. the link on the first page is broken, but i'm nearly positive they didn't offer him 50 mil EURO/year. it is in $.

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM

You put any Highschool team in this Counrty...ANY HIGH SCHOOL b-ball team against a euro league team and im willing to bet the euro league team wins all the time.

bball1217
08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
His stats are going to be amazing in Europe and he will come back to the NBA at 27 after the 2 years and be a million dollars richer.

Didn't Lebron say he wanted to be the World's first billionaire?

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
His stats are going to be amazing in Europe and he will come back to the NBA at 27 after the 2 years and be a million dollars richer.

Didn't Lebron say he wanted to be the World's first billionaire?

not the world's first there is already people that are billionaires
he wants to be the first billionaire athlete

fabian11593
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I love Lebron, he's my second favorite player after Kobe, but if he doesn't take that, he would officially be the dumbest person in the NBA. But wow, $50 million is crazy.

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I love Lebron, he's my second favorite player after Kobe, but if he doesn't take that, he would officially be the dumbest person in the NBA. But wow, $50 million is crazy.

so your calling a person dumb for going over there and playing 2 years of basketball for 100mil? i know you would do it without even thinking
i know i would hes getting pay 100mil to dribble a ball and score

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 12:16 PM
i dont think they offer 50 million a year... BUTTTT. if they do offer that much HE WILL TAKE IT.

stevefrancis
08-07-2008, 12:16 PM
watch david stern make a rule that if you leave for europe you are ban from the nba forever even after you retire and you can't become a coach. lol

CELTICS4LYFE
08-07-2008, 12:21 PM

he will b if he does that.....that will b 2 100 mill contracts b4 the age of 25 lol its good for the game too expand it more into europe

Vidball
08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
The billionaire brothers could offer him that...also, teams in Europe pay your taxes for you so the $50M is a legit $50M. I'm betting most of his endorsement deals (with Nike, etc.) don't have contingencies that he play in the NBA...he would still get all his marketing money as well. If LeBron really has a goal of becoming a billionaire there is no way he would pass this up (if it's actually offered).

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
he will b if he does that.....that will b 2 100 mill contracts b4 the age of 25 lol its good for the game too expand it more into europe

that would suck, expanding the league to europe.
but it would be really funny if stern bans lebron

Canucklehead
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Hopefully he does go and hopefully more stars go in the future. Would be cool to have the top level of basketball being played on a full world stage. Sorry small market nba teams you are finished in 10 years or less.

_Sn1P3r_
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Dam that is a lot of loot. I personally would take it but I would prefer for LeBron to stay in the NBA. If he accepts, he can accomplish the goal of being the first billionaire athlete for sure.

Storch
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
do they really think that putting that much money on a single player would give them championships forever. -_- ********

Goon.Weezy
08-07-2008, 02:50 PM
NOOOOOOOO ATHLETE IS WORTH THAT MUCHHHH...........WOWOWOWOWOW this is ridiculous

KOBE24=NBA#
08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
if kobe were a free-agent right now they would probably offer him 60-75 million per year.

Canucklehead
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
do they really think that putting that much money on a single player would give them championships forever. -_- ********

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if it did that. However it would help bring Euroball into the limelight by acquiring the "best" playing available in the world. Also they can offset a lot of costs in jersey sales, better tv contracts etc etc.

FarOutIos
08-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Remember, the Euro is strong right now. The Euro is worth about two U.S. dollars, which makes the offer about $25 million a year U.S. currency. That doesn't sound as far fetched. I doubt he would go anyways, but remember the currency conversion.:flag:

I can't agree with you more! Not many people here are understanding the US economy situation and how that is changing our lives.

I have been going to greece almost every summer the last 20 years and the change is HORRIBLE. My dollar used to get me well over twice the buying power it has now. I used to party like Javon Walker...

Also, if you have followed the signings of US players in greece, or any other european team, you will notice that the change of player quality is tremendous. Just a few years ago the teams were signing players who were washed up or couldn't make an NBA roster. Now they signing players who could possibly start in the NBA. The jump to getting lebron is a stretch, but that would also be the biggest temptation ever for any team.

In the end, though, the status of the dollar to the euro could be the difference. If the euro goes to 2.5 dollars, it may be a done deal.

Shieldsz
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
haha i would take that in a second.

FarOutIos
08-07-2008, 03:49 PM

The european basketball is based on team play. When I talk to ANY basketball fan in Greece they emphasize team basketball. I think the fact that Lebron is a team player helps his chances of getting that much money oversees.

Also, last I checked, Greek teams only have two roster spots for non-greek players. So ALL of their big dollars are saved for those players. When you can only have two non-greek teams, why not have the best player ever as one of those.

So, I do think that if Lebron plays great in the olympics, then this becomes a bigger story. His being able to fit in to the style of play is a big factor.

midwestmadman
08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Don't forget to send Mr. Gilbert a post card LeBron.

hockeypro68
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
$50 MILLION/year is nucking futs. It would be absolutely INSANE if lebron left the nba!

Joshtd1
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I could see LBJ doing it honestly. No way he could turn down money like that. Not to mention as young as he is, he would come back to the NBA after those 2 years, be a FA and get a max contract since he would be in his prime then.

lebron:i suck
08-07-2008, 04:17 PM
davis stern would let lebron know that if he leaves, you cant come back lmao.

ARMIN12NBA
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Ridiculous to give him that, but if I were Lebron I would take it and come back to the NBA after that. Afterall he would still be 26 at that point.

He is turning 24 this year. He will not be a FA until 2010. So when he comes back to the NBA he will be 28 years old and not 26.

Master P
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
im not sure id under-estimate david stern's balls at coming up with something to protect the quality of play in the nba. i mean ****, the guy suspended jordan for 100 games.

Thatruth32
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
as crazy as it sounds... he probley going to take it... who could turn down 50 mil a year? not me

Hellcrooner
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
So you think a bunch of highschoolers would win euroleaugue?

Then how in hell have the Raptros, 76ers, Clippers or Grizzlies have been defeated in the last years by euro teams?

Beleive me the Champions of NCAA wouldnt beat any of the top 10 teams in russian, french, spanish, turkish , italian or greek league.

And half nba teams right now would lose a 7 game series to Euroleauge teams in the final four.

phlp_bj
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
no

lovingTO
08-07-2008, 06:47 PM

The first billionaire athlete?...ever heard of tiger woods?

18colts29
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
He's not worth it

Dirty Dirk41
08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
So you think a bunch of highschoolers would win euroleaugue?

Then how in hell have the Raptros, 76ers, Clippers or Grizzlies have been defeated in the last years by euro teams?

Beleive me the Champions of NCAA wouldnt beat any of the top 10 teams in russian, french, spanish, turkish , italian or greek league.

And half nba teams right now would lose a 7 game series to Euroleauge teams in the final four.

thank you.....that comment was ********

Cracka2HI!
08-07-2008, 07:49 PM
It makes a lot of sense for Lebron to do this. It would be his easiest way to leave Cleveland without completly dissing the his home town. It would be one thing to take similar and go to Brooklyn, but entirely another to earn in 2 years what it takes 5 to earn in the NBA. It also shows how much these owners really make and how a guy like Lebron is actually underpaid.

I'm wondering if Lebron can't just buy his own European team and rake in all those profits himself.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Drug Money!! If that happens, bye bye NBA

MiamiHeat
08-07-2008, 08:01 PM
The first billionaire athlete?...ever heard of tiger woods?

tiger woods isnt a billionaire:rolleyes:

jetsfan28
08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
100 million. Get sponsorships with a car company, a clothes company, and, when he comes back to the US, a pizza company, build up anticipation, when he comes back he'll have all new sponsorship deals open. He'd make a fortune in the end. I wouldn't believe 1 year, 50 million. But taking 2 years, 100 million is very possible IMO.

theimortalone
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM

There is the link.

I dont think so. Kobe will never ever compare to MJ23. I dont care who the hell Kobe is. He will never match up to Jordan.

FromDallas
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/26368379.html

that is crazy!!!!!! 100million for just 2 years??? thats 50mil a year

Unless it is $100 mil for 2 years he's not going. IF it is $100 mil for 2 years he would be an f'ing moron not to take it. Considering he's not a moron .... peace out Labron, see you in 3 years.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I hope he doesn't do it. I view Lebron as possibly being one of the all time greats. I would hate for him to tarnish his legacy by being greedy and playing essentially in a JV league. You want to be the best, you have to compete with the best. The only good that will come out of it is the money. Imagine if he won a title over there. Came back to the NBA and never got one. People will never let him forget it. What if he goes over there a teals up his knee and is never the same. Instead of having a guaranteed contract for 7 years, and over 100 million, he has no such offer when he comes back. I hope he takes these things into consideration.

Bg7getclutch
08-07-2008, 11:04 PM
crazy money. If he does accept that deal that means that he only cares about money.

-Juice-
08-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Why is everyone saying if he takes the deal he will be the first billionaire athlete? Do you people not realize that Tiger Woods has about $900 million and LeBron only has about $300 million.

Tiger Woods is going to be the first billionaire and he isn't even going to be golfing for another year or two.

rico
08-08-2008, 02:57 AM

There is the link.

he was bein respectful and not vain. everyone who has any sense know lebron is the best right now. kobe is 2nd though. scary thing is lebron still has potential to be better, kobe is like passing his prime right now kobe 12 yrs in lebron 5. look at the numbers, look at everything.

and yeah i wouldnt blame lebron for taking that at all. it would be interesting to see how the league is without lebron.

ARMIN12NBA
08-08-2008, 04:33 AM
he was bein respectful and not vain. everyone who has any sense know lebron is the best right now. kobe is 2nd though. scary thing is lebron still has potential to be better, kobe is like passing his prime right now kobe 12 yrs in lebron 5. look at the numbers, look at everything.

and yeah i wouldnt blame lebron for taking that at all. it would be interesting to see how the league is without lebron.

Just wondering, why do you say he is a better all-around player? Kobe has no GLARING weakness in his game. While Lebron is a below average mid-range and three-point shooter. He shoots 36% from midrange and 31% from three compared to Kobe shooting 42% from midrange and 36% from three. Lebron has a weakness in outside shooting while Kobe does not. Some people say to me, well Lebron averages more assists and rebounds. Well, Kobe isn't weak at those things, which is the difference. Kobe is the best rebound shooting guard in the NBA. Lebron is a small/power forward so obviously he will get more rebounds. Kobe also only averages two less assists at 5, which is very good for a shooting guard. Lebron is a terrible FT shooter at 70% while Kobe is very good at 85%. Not to mention that Kobe has a much greater arsenal on offense with his ability to play the post very well while Lebron actually does not know how to play in the post. The point I am trying to make is that while Kobe is polished in all areas of the game, Lebron still has some areas of weaknesses. IMO that makes him the better all-around player.

dodie53
08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
wow.
100mil