PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Dalembert speaks out

raptors wiseguy
08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
http://thestartingfive.net/2008/07/24/samuel-dalembert-speaks-out-on-his-dismissal-from-the-canadian-national-team/

very interesting...i wonder whos telling the truth now..sammy or leo

travesy3
08-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Honestly, this seems legit to me. This seems like Leo to me(as much as I could personally analyze him). He seems arrogant to me, he seems like he would do this. I don't know, maybe it's just my guy, maybe this will get Leo off of the announcers table :D If not, I hope he is announcing the first game, so he has to answer a ton of questions in regards to this situation, I hate that guy =/

Kontent
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I think they were both at fault, but I feel more for Dalembert. He was the lone (true) NBAer on the team. He had to be a leader and that's why Leo expected more out of him.

The way Leo handled things was poor, IMO. First off, he could of dealt with the situation differently in a calm manner and control his emotions when speaking to an athlete. Secondly, he should of been more organized. If he wants to be a drill sargeant type coach, he must adhere to a strict schedule, otherwise he needs a different approach; something laid back like.

I am a full time coach, 11 and a half months of the year. If I don't have things organized properly and I don't adhere to a strict schedule, ***** hits the fan. I've seen things scattered all over the place in my profession and it leads to poor performing teams and ultimately coaching changes (unless politics help secure long term deals, but this is Canada's highest level, so I expect to see a new change or at least an immediate change once the contract is up).

Bob_at_york
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I agree with what Kontent is saying. If Leo wants to be strict with the team then he needs to be more organized himself. He should have laid out the "rules" better. He should be at the morning meals too. If he didn't lay out the rules then how can he rip Sam for something he didn't do himself.

star
08-07-2008, 12:40 PM
leo is not a great coach or analyst for that matter .... ya he looks smart next to a guys like the swirsk .... but really he trys too hard to be a guru

carruthers32
08-07-2008, 01:22 PM
I know someone who was in Athens staying in the same hotel as these guys, and as a Canadian, Team Canada hooked him up, and lets just say I know what really happened, and Dalembert is full of sh**.

pebloemer
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I know someone who was in Athens staying in the same hotel as these guys, and as a Canadian, Team Canada hooked him up, and lets just say I know what really happened, and Dalembert is full of sh**.

Care to enlighten us?

nstojic
08-07-2008, 01:31 PM
can't stand leo, this fits his MO more than what leo said bout sam, fits sam's MO

carruthers32
08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Care to enlighten us?

Well the basics are after Dalembert forced everything during the first game and was playing like a selfish *****, apparently the team was making fun of him afterwards and I think the next day. When it was time to load the bus for the Korea game apparently everyone was on the bus except for him, and when it came time to leave, Leo was telling him to get on the team bus and he refused. Then they got into an argument (don't know what was said), then apparently Rowan Barrett came out and said to him "its not about the name on the back of the jersey, its about the name on the front", and then he still wouldnt get on, and Leo closed the doors and they took off without him.

Bob_at_york
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Well the basics are after Dalembert forced everything during the first game and was playing like a selfish *****, apparently the team was making fun of him afterwards and I think the next day. When it was time to load the bus for the Korea game apparently everyone was on the bus except for him, and when it came time to leave, Leo was telling him to get on the team bus and he refused. Then they got into an argument (don't know what was said), then apparently Rowan Barrett came out and said to him "its not about the name on the back of the jersey, its about the name on the front", and then he still wouldnt get on, and Leo closed the doors and they took off without him.

He said, he said and another he said. I will say this, IF the above is true then Leo has done a good job not airing all the dirty laundry.

Kontent
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM

I can see that happening. I can also see how Dalembert would of thought he needed to be the best. It's unfortunate his teamates might have thought poorly of him. He's definitely a big part of the blame here, but at the same time, Leo should have controlled his players and been just as much a part of the team as he was asking everybody else to be.

I sort of see similarities between this situation and the Smitch/TJ situation a while ago. Both were dealt with in the wrong manner, ultimately leading to the team performing poorly and the player no longer having a position on the team. It's a shame.

pebloemer
08-07-2008, 03:24 PM

I don't think it is uncommon for a player who is told he needs to be a leader and take the team on his shoulders to take more shots than he should.

The team should really have better composure and Leo should be controlling the players better.

Conflict between players is very unfortunate and shameful to hear about as a fan but it happens more often than we probably know. It is very disappointing to hear about it as a Canadian and attests to how much work there is to do to for the Canadian Basketball Program.

From hearing Dalembert's piece, Leo's piece and other reports it sounds like almost everyone involved handled it quite poorly (including the team)... I am not sure I need to see the absolute truth to hypothesize this.

_Sn1P3r_
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
It's sad to read that even some coaches didn't get along. You can't expect to succeed without any chemistry.

Tom Stone
08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I think the whole situation was handeled poorly...by everybody......If leo was more tacktical they probably could have avoided the whole problem......He is the coach, and you would think he would be better than this.

mjt20mik
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Why isn't Jay Triano the head coach?

Bob_at_york
08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Why isn't Jay Triano the head coach?

I think the head of the Canadian Basketball Association and Jay had some problems with each other and that is why Jay and Nash left.

Halladay
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Gotta love the drama...could see all this coming when Leo's arrogance was brought in to coach the team. At the end of the day Leo should not be our coach. Why is he the coach? because he's a name. He's a face that basketball fans in Canada recognize. Why not have sticked with Triano? or if you wanted to move in a different direction, why not bring in a top college coach from the U.S? why do we need a Canadian coach and if thats so important we've got a real Canadian coach in Triano. This is why Canada Basketball is such a mess. Leo was bound to fail from day with or without Sam Dalembert and other Canadian NBA players. Leo isn't a coach, he's an analyst and a bad one at that.

Bricklayer
08-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Even though I don't like Leo as a coach I think Dalembert was in the wrong. From what I have heard the decision on whether or not Dalembert would rejoin the team was put to a players only vote, and the decision was unanimous.

Fion
08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
i dislike leo so i take dalemberts side.

torontosports10
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Basketball Canada is an absolute joke.

Canadian hemi
08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
hmmm..not sure, who's telling the truth?

All I know..it looks bad for Basketball Canada, and this will put a big dent in getting any other good Canadian lads to play for us..in the near future. We have to clean up this program.....and clean it up in a hurry!!!!
jeez...terrible

justafan
08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I pesonally cant stand leo, i hate it when he's on t.v. i hope the raptors let him go.