PDA

View Full Version : Porcello is God

Zoomlander
08-07-2008, 12:20 AM
I cant wait for this guy......sooner the better!

zzConflict
08-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Gotta love that 5.2 K/9 in Advanced-A ball.

cwilson21
08-07-2008, 01:09 AM
I cant wait for this guy......sooner the better!

Man I can't wait to see him in another 3-4 years either :rolleyes:

Humongo
08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Absolutely studly.

Bondomania
08-07-2008, 10:35 AM
i don't know if you guys are being sarcastic or whatnot.. but 5.2 K's/9 in high A ball isn't that great.. Although Porcello has a great ERA and such, people are concerned about the lack of strikeouts.. also he has been extremely inconsistant with his secondary pitches and still has a ways to go before he will be major league ready.. it is looking more like 2010 before we see him

Bondomania
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
oh yea, it doesn't help porcello that he is being pushed through the organization faster than most at his age.. keep in mind he is only 19 and fresh out of highschool, and he is going up against guys that are 3 and 4 years older than him and are out of highschool.. the guy will be a stud eventually, however, he isn't there yet

Zoomlander
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
i would rather have him in the rotation right now than Robertson lol

i seriously mean that!

cwilson21
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah bring him up right now so we can see him take a tailspin towards the worst and end his career :rolleyes:. The Twins had a promising pitcher in Adam Johnson (very young) awhile back, brought him up way too soon, he got roughed up, and was never the same. Leyland would probably be in favor of this just like when he brought up Miller.

IndiansFan337
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
:laugh2:

i don't know if you guys are being sarcastic or whatnot.. but 5.2 K's/9 in high A ball isn't that great.. Although Porcello has a great ERA and such, people are concerned about the lack of strikeouts.. also he has been extremely inconsistant with his secondary pitches and still has a ways to go before he will be major league ready.. it is looking more like 2010 before we see him
Late season 2010 seems realistic.

good spliff
08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
5.2 K/9 is not that special for High A Ball. Now Tim Alderson on the other hand, same age, 19 years old, in High A Ball.

11-3, 2.82ERA, 121.1 IP, 107 K's, 7.94 K/9IP.

Porcello is still an amazing talent and will be a stud in MLB, but his low K rate is a concern.

Sheffies Chef
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
who cares about k's if he gets outs.

as long as he can get outs and get the w, he could have a 1K/9IP ratio for all i care.

I mean, look at Greg Maddux. compared to the amount of innings he's pitched, he hasn't k'd that many. and he's one of the best SP's of all-time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/maddugr01.shtml

Bondomania
08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
the thing that is frustrating is that he was supposed to be the next Josh Beckett.. so it is frustrating that he isn't striking out as many in high A ball.. now keep in mind he has been struggling with secondary pitches and at one point the tigers were limiting how many breaking pitches he was throwing in an outting, so that is another reason why he isn't striking out as many too.. if he succeeds at AA next year he could be a late season call-up if not, then he will definitly get heavy consideration for the rotation in 2010

brandonwarne52
08-08-2008, 01:07 AM
who cares about k's if he gets outs.

as long as he can get outs and get the w, he could have a 1K/9IP ratio for all i care.

I mean, look at Greg Maddux. compared to the amount of innings he's pitched, he hasn't k'd that many. and he's one of the best SP's of all-time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/maddugr01.shtml

The point is that Maddux is like one of only a handful of pitchers that applies to.

DetTigers
08-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Don't forget the tigers have said they are limiting him to around 70 pitches a game and he has been getting into the 5th and 6th innings most of the time with that pitch count which is great so dont worry about Porcello hes going to be a great pitcher for sure. :rolleyes: guy above me twins fan psh ha jealous (just messin around dont take it seriously guy)

Bondomania
08-08-2008, 11:17 AM
eh, Garland gets away with it too... i mean there are pitchers that can be great pitchers without the strikeout ratio.. the thing is that we already have bunch of sinker ball pitchers, so it would be nice to get some legit strikeout guys.. none the less Porcello will be a great major league pitcher.. apparently he learned a new pitch in Lakeland, the Slurve, and from what i have heard and read it is a plus pitch and it is currently baffling hitters in Lakeland.. Also he has had issues controlling his real strikeout pitch, which is his 12-6 curve.. so i don't know if he went to the slurve because he couldn't control the 12-6 or what.. if not and he still has the 12-6 that would mean he is a 5 pitch pitcher...

fastball (both sinking and 4-seam)
circle change
slider
slurve
12-6 curve

Sheffies Chef
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
thats actually a 6 pitch pitcher.

4 seam
sinking is probably a 2 seam
circle change
slider
slurve
12-6 curve.

Sheffies Chef
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
that's sick

Sheffies Chef
08-08-2008, 02:05 PM
The point is that Maddux is like one of only a handful of pitchers that applies to.

Porc is supposed to be great isn't he.

Who knows, Porc could be better than Maddux in the future.

That's the fun thing with prospects, you just don't know.

Dalionking
08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
the thing that is frustrating is that he was supposed to be the next Josh Beckett.. so it is frustrating that he isn't striking out as many in high A ball.. now keep in mind he has been struggling with secondary pitches and at one point the tigers were limiting how many breaking pitches he was throwing in an outting, so that is another reason why he isn't striking out as many too.. if he succeeds at AA next year he could be a late season call-up if not, then he will definitly get heavy consideration for the rotation in 2010

yeah i heard that he has a good slider as well. i saw a few videos of him throwing this year in the pen and the slider looked pretty good. i guess they dont want him to have too much on the elbow with how much wear and tear the slider puts on it. slowly work him into it and build up his entire arm to be able to throw all the pitches so he doesnt have arm troubles seems smart. he is young and we souldnt rush him.