PDA

View Full Version : Include Pennington/Garcia in the deal

daneo54
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I haven't posted in a while but I've been following the forum.

Quite frankly once Favre leaves I'm worried about depth at Quarterback. Maybe in two years having Rodgers, Brohm, and Flynn on the same team would be a solid group but I am not sold on having a rookie QB take control if Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time. Regardless of which team (I believe it is a two team race now) gets Favre, they will probably cut one of their QB's loose.

The Jets will likely drop Pennington because I don't see them taking on both Brett and Chad's salary. It is also unlikely Pen would take a pay cut. Adding to the situation, Clemens, Pennington's competion in camp to date, is a "Mangini" guy because he and the GM in NY drafted him.

On the flip side, Garcia won't be a Buc if Favre goes to the wrong Bay. He's complained about his contract and although Gruden loves his QB's, I don't see them keeping Jeff.

So I'm hoping that either Green Bay wants Chad/Jeff added to the deal (If said QB, especially in Pennington's case) is willing to take a pay cut or make a move for one or the other once one is cut. Both have their drawbacks, Pennington with his arm strength, or-lack-there-of, and Garcia being a bit jittery and happy with his feet among other things. Regardless, both have won a lot of games in their career and either would be a comforting option off the bench should the unthinkable happen. Personally though, I think Garcia would be a much better fit for our current style of offense.

The downside to bringing in a veteran QB is that they would start from square one with learning the playbook. Possibly even worse yet, we will probably lose Flynn because I don't see him passing through waivers to make it to the practice squad. He has shown too much in college and from the limited I've been able to see with my own eyes, has done some good things in practice too. Still, with a team as talented as this one, I would hate to see a playoff run ended because of inexperienced Quarterback play.

Voice your opinions.

wissportsfan
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I could see bringing in Pennington. I don't know what his contract is like. If it's more than 1 year I'm not sure if they would trade for him. Pennington would have to come to camp knowing that he's going to be a backup until something happens.

Garcia on the flip side I see not working at all. He does want a new contract and on top of that new contract he wants to know that he'll be starting. In GB he would not get that. If he went to the Bears or a bigger possiblity in the Vikings he would get that commitment.

ryanph30
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I could see Pennington happening, but not Garcia. I would rather have a veteran backup QB from a team and get a better pick, than there current veteran starting QBs.

robert06907
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
pennington wouldn't be cut if the jets acquired favre... he still has some value where the Jets could get possibly a 4th rounder or somethin like that for him

ryanph30
08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
pennington wouldn't be cut if the jets acquired favre... he still has some value where the Jets could get possibly a 4th rounder or somethin like that for him

We are talking about him coming to the Packers in the Favre trade. This isn't that complicated....

gottaHaveHart
08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
even if pennington doesn't come to the pack, a 4th is a push for a qb with a big contract who is constantly hurt and plays inconsistent

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
ESPN rumors are Pennington is cut for cap purposes. I could see the Viking going after him.

hughest4
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Pennington has been in contact with the Dolphins, Vikings, and a number of other teams. I like Chad Pennington and all but he would have never worked in Green Bay. The conditions are just to difficult and he wouldn't have a good enough arm. He struggled a lot throwing the ball in windy games.

Anyway, thread closed