PDA

View Full Version : Is Shaq and bynum a new rivalry?

Andrew17Bynum17
08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Remeber back in 05-06 it was the heat at lakers on martin luther kings day Shaq and bynum got into a little fight shaq dunked on bynum and then bynum went back at em as steve kerr said lol then they got into a lil scrap bynum got a bit mad at shaq cause he got dunked on hard by shaq, is shaq and bynum a new rivalry till shaqs careers done? shaq-bynum

ARMIN12NBA
08-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't think so because Shaq is retiring in two years and is also past his prime and Bynums prime, although he'll be very good for the next two years also, will be in 4-5 years.

badboyhoward
08-06-2008, 07:02 PM
no, this isn't a rivalry between the two shaq is done with all that,but all big men when entering the league are measured up to shaq.

zezak
08-06-2008, 07:05 PM
What has Bynum done in his career to be considered a rival against one of the all time best?

madiaz3
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
What has Bynum done in his career to be considered a rival against one of the all time best?

He's just referring to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd-FLEDTfao

Great clip but nothing we ever really saw again.

kylem4711
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
?

weird thread

MiamiHeat
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
old shaq vs young bynum
won't be a good rivalry

HOZ THE KNICK
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
bynum have to stay on the court to be a rival.

BALLER71
08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
no, this isn't a rivalry between the two shaq is done with all that,but all big men when entering the league are measured up to shaq.

Exactly.
And none of them will ever matchup to Shaq.

ink
08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Does Kobe have a rivalry with Magic Johnson?

Or Kevin Garnett with Larry Bird?

lakerfan1
08-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Nope i dont see any rivarly between Shaq and Bynum. Shaq is past his prime and Bynum is still developing. I think both would have to be in their primes to consider any type of rivarly. Maybe a Oden/Bynum rivarly in years to come.

madiaz3
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Oden Bynum is def. a rivalry that we will be seeing.

bogdanrom
08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
No, Shaq is old, but I think that if Shaq really puts his mind up to it he can squeeze a couple of good games against Bynum. But no. The new rivalry will probably be Oden vs. Bynum. Also I hope Beasley vs. Durant will become a rivalry too. They so similar.

knicks1214
08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Honestly Bynum wrecks Shaq now...I would take him over Shaq now(as would any person with knowledge of basketball) but I see the new rivalry between Bynum, Howard and Oden.

MiamiHeat
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Honestly Bynum wrecks Shaq now...I would take him over Shaq now(as would any person with knowledge of basketball) but I see the new rivalry between Bynum, Howard and Oden.

Bynum vs Oden makes more sense

knicks1214
08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Why not Howard...when all three of them are in their prime it's going to be incredible. Three huge centers who can just overpower the people that are guarding them or are trying to post up on them.

mikeyvee
08-06-2008, 10:19 PM
i dont think its a new rivalry yet

DQL
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't think Bynum will ever be at superstar level like Dwight. All-star at best. Right now Bynum v. Oden makes more sense

BoSelecta!!!
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
oh please! i know ur a Bynum's fan, but rivalry dont happen between grown up n kid

LakerzDQ
08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
this is even worse than the Kobe and MJ comparisons when Kobe was 19.

Shaq is done for, his career and impact has already been established, he's basically retired now. he's top 10 player EVER, and Bynum is a 20 year old kid who happens to be pretty big. Bynum will never be Shaq's rival, even after Bynum's career ends. Bynum might end up a top 10-15 center ever, but Shaq's a top 3 center, and Bynum doesn't have the nastiness to ever rival Shaq.

ragee
08-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think so because Shaq is retiring in two years and is also past his prime and Bynums prime, although he'll be very good for the next two years also, will be in 4-5 years.

That's right... I think the rivalry that you'll see in the center position will be Dwight and Oden or Dwight and Bynum

lakersrock
08-07-2008, 12:01 AM
It would be if Shaq could actually play against Bynum. Seeing that he can't, it'll be too one-sided to be called a rivalry.

Catfish1314
08-07-2008, 12:03 AM
It could be if Shaq weren't so old. They'll probably only see each other on the court a few more times.

LakerzDQ
08-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Centers and PG's are gonna have some nice rivalries in the next decade.

Centers: Dwight/Oden/Bynum
PGs: CP3/Deron/Rose

it'll be cool if the PGs and Centers joined the same team

like, Dwight+Deron vs CP3+Bynum vs Rose+Oden

*Superman*
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
He's just referring to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd-FLEDTfao

Great clip but nothing we ever really saw again.

Thanks for the link, i never saw that game.lol. But damn, Shaq dropped Bynum and then Bynum faked Shaq for the dunk, good clip. But for the thread, no their will def. be no rivalry, Shaq is about to retire.

THE_FLASH_21
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM

EXCATLY..... Dumb Thread!!! Bynum won't be more then a role player!! SHAQ dominated like no other!!

barreleffact
08-07-2008, 12:25 AM

exactly what i was about to write. its all about howard, oden, and bynum now. offensively bynum is ahead, and defensively, probably howard, but they are all good on defense and are all legit centers. it should be fun to see who develops best

lakers4sho
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
EXCATLY..... Dumb Thread!!! Bynum won't be more then a role player!! SHAQ dominated like no other!!

If you've actually watched Laker games (and I think you should've, because you live in CA) you would've noticed Bynum's number in limited minutes. Just think about what he can do playing 35+ minutes a game.

sp1derm00
08-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't think Shaq would even be Bynum's chief rival on the Suns. Bynum has terrorized Amare in the past and could continue to do so. Bynum and Pau against Shaq and Amare seem like it would be a good match up.... all the players could match up against each other.

I see Bynum's chief rival being Oden as well.

barreleffact
08-07-2008, 12:38 AM
If you've actually watched Laker games (and I think you should've, because you live in CA) you would've noticed Bynum's number in limited minutes. Just think about what he can do playing 35+ minutes a game.

why were his minutes limited? because he was not in shape...besides, whats an extra 7 minutes a game? statistically about 2 or 3 points and rebounds...thats good but if you average, he's still not a 20 point man yet. dont get me wrong, i dont think he's over rated and i do think he will be a beast, but right now, he's still just a raw talent which is scary to think of. but if he was in shape, his averages wouldnt have been drastically better. but they would have been about 17 and 12ish

cmellofan15
08-07-2008, 12:55 AM
HEY my sig explains it all. A WNBA star shouldn't go up against Shaq lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But seriously no its not ever going to happen. Bynums jus getting started and Shaqs wrapping it up now.

lakerfan4life1
08-07-2008, 01:20 AM
no shaq is done and cant keep up with the young legs of bynum. If u gonna have someone 2 match up with him put him beside Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard is better but bynum is gettin better and u cant forget that bynum is only 20 hes still a kid. He is goin to be the most dangerous center in the league in 2 or 3 years. I still cant believe he came in the nba as the youngest player ever at 17. Oden will be a nice rivary 2 we will see what happens Oct 28

ARMIN12NBA
08-07-2008, 01:51 AM
why were his minutes limited? because he was not in shape...besides, whats an extra 7 minutes a game? statistically about 2 or 3 points and rebounds...thats good but if you average, he's still not a 20 point man yet. dont get me wrong, i dont think he's over rated and i do think he will be a beast, but right now, he's still just a raw talent which is scary to think of. but if he was in shape, his averages wouldnt have been drastically better. but they would have been about 17 and 12ish

He was actually in amazing shape. He was really fit and could log a lot of minutes, but Phil Jackson had this infatuation with Kwame Brown that he felt Kwame had to play at least 15 minutes a game so Bynum was limited in minutes. Also the Lakers wanted to bring him along slowly. In the month of January (excluding the game of injury) when he finally got minutes, he was averaging 19 PPG, 13 RPG, and 3 BPG. He was playing monstrously and was even garnering some attention for an all-star bid (I am not saying he deserved to make it, but merely saying he had garnered attention for the honor).

JJ81
08-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Remeber back in 05-06 it was the heat at lakers on martin luther kings day Shaq and bynum got into a little fight shaq dunked on bynum and then bynum went back at em as steve kerr said lol then they got into a lil scrap bynum got a bit mad at shaq cause he got dunked on hard by shaq, is shaq and bynum a new rivalry till shaqs careers done? shaq-bynum

That would be cool because Shaq's too slow to compete with the rising star. Bynum - Oden rivalry perhaps?

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
shaq cant have a rivalry vs. bynum he too old already

RapsFan4Life
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
i think a rivalry is between two players fighting for the top maybe oden and bynum, but shaq has already proven himself as legendary ... probably the most dominant player in the nba when he was with Orlando and the Lakers, i mean he was unstoppable ... now he is just finishing up his business he doesnt need rivalry ... shaq dunked on bynum cuz its shaq .. u cant mess with that, bynum can develop his own rivalry but shaq is just about done and needs nothing to do with childs play

frizbo72
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
What has Bynum done to even be mentioned in the same breath as Shaq. Ya he is old be he is a HOFer. Bynum is a young kid that had several decent games and then got hurt. There not even comparable at any point in their careers.

CowboysKB24
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
No

thephoenixson28
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM

Shaq averages the same numbers as bynum but shaq averages more points so anyone with knowledge of basketball would pick shaq so get the facts straight and bynum shouldn't even get mentioned with any of the best centers past and present oden hasn't proven anything either but dwight howard has so get your nba i.q up
Harsh

theimortalone
08-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Shaq averages the same numbers as bynum but shaq averages more points so anyone with knowledge of basketball would pick shaq so get the facts straight and bynum shouldn't even get mentioned with any of the best centers past and present oden hasn't proven anything either but dwight howard has so get your nba i.q up
Harsh

Totally agreed. Bynum has not proved anything yet! Shaq is MVP, Finals MVP, and one of the 50 greatest players of all time. Never compare Bynum to Shaq. Shaq will dominate Mr.Microfracture. He is coming off a serious injury, he isnt gonna be ready just like that.

theimortalone
08-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think Shaq would even be Bynum's chief rival on the Suns. Bynum has terrorized Amare in the past and could continue to do so. Bynum and Pau against Shaq and Amare seem like it would be a good match up.... all the players could match up against each other.

I see Bynum's chief rival being Oden as well.

When exactly has Bynum done that to STAT? Amare is gonna dominate Bynum and Gasol!

THE_FLASH_21
08-08-2008, 02:04 AM

No don't get me wrong.. Bynum is gonna be really good... But he won't dominate a game.... maybe 18/10 guy...

ARMIN12NBA
08-08-2008, 02:54 AM
When exactly has Bynum done that to STAT? Amare is gonna dominate Bynum and Gasol!

Actually Bynum completely and utterly dominated Amare in their head-to-head matchup.

Bynum scored 28 points and pulled down 12 boards while shooting a ridiculously 85%. Amare had 19 points and only 6 boards on 55% shooting. Also Andrew Bynum averaged 21 point and 12.5 rebounds against the Suns last year.

Harsh

Andrew Bynum averaged 14 PPG and 11 RPG as a starter last year. Shaq averaged 13 PPG and 9 RPG conversely. Get your facts straight. Clearly Bynum was better in the time he was playing last year.

cahawk
08-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Bynum shouldn't even be mentioned with Shaq.
If so then how about a Bynum & Wilt rivalry?

Bynum is good but he has done nothing.
A Shaq in his prime would humiliate Bynum.

cambovenzi
08-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Bynum shouldn't even be mentioned with Shaq.
If so then how about a Bynum & Wilt rivalry?

Bynum is good but he has done nothing.
A Shaq in his prime would humiliate Bynum.

bynum is a better player going forward.
shaq is old, fat and slow.

cmellofan15
08-08-2008, 04:31 AM

Correction Eddy Curry is fat and slow lol. But yea this isn't a real rivalry Bynum is going to be the better player as long as Shaq is still old.

HiphopRelated
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Shaq's on his way out...no rivalry

thephoenixson28
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Actually Bynum completely and utterly dominated Amare in their head-to-head matchup.

Bynum scored 28 points and pulled down 12 boards while shooting a ridiculously 85%. Amare had 19 points and only 6 boards on 55% shooting. Also Andrew Bynum averaged 21 point and 12.5 rebounds against the Suns last year.

Andrew Bynum averaged 14 PPG and 11 RPG as a starter last year. Shaq averaged 13 PPG and 9 RPG conversely. Get your facts straight. Clearly Bynum was better in the time he was playing last year.

What are you talking about shaq averaged 14 ppg and bynum averaged 13 and when he came to the suns he averaged 15 almost 16 ppg so get your fact straight and don't mention anything about minutes cuz shaq averaged less go to nba.com if you think I'm wrong and compare the two and you will see who's wrong

thephoenixson28
08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Ok yes shaq is slow, and shaq is most definetly old , but fat if shaq is fat man I want to be obesse I guess ben wallace is the fattest guy in the league

theimortalone
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Given yes Bynum was hurt half the year, but do you realize that Bynum never averaged in the 20's Where as Amare average 20 ppg all year long!!! So please tell me, how is bynum better. And your making a comparison them going head to head in one game? What the hell does that prove?

ARMIN12NBA
08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
What are you talking about shaq averaged 14 ppg and bynum averaged 13 and when he came to the suns he averaged 15 almost 16 ppg so get your fact straight and don't mention anything about minutes cuz shaq averaged less go to nba.com if you think I'm wrong and compare the two and you will see who's wrong

They average practically the same minutes per game.

Shaq- 28.7 Bynum- 28.8 That is not a big difference at all.

Shaq averaged 13.6 PPG and 9.1 RPG as well as 1.44 BPG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=847

Bynum averaged 13.1 PPG and 10.1 RPG as well as 2.06 BPG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3936

Here is when it gets very interesting:

Shaq as a starting center averaged this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?playerId=614

Andrew Bynum as a starting center averaged this:

Bynum averaged 14.6 PPG and 10.7 RPG as well as 2.32 BPG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?playerId=2748

Clearly, Bynum is a better player than Shaq currently. You said Shaq was better by far because he averaged way more points yet Shaq only averaged .5 more points and Bynum averaged 1 more point as a starter. Also you failed to mention that Bynum averaged 1 more rebound and 1.6 more rebounds as a starter as well as 1 more block.

Not to mention that Bynum shot 64% from the field compared to Shaqs 59%.

Given yes Bynum was hurt half the year, but do you realize that Bynum never averaged in the 20's Where as Amare average 20 ppg all year long!!! So please tell me, how is bynum better. And your making a comparison them going head to head in one game? What the hell does that prove?

I never said Bynum was a better player. You misinterpreted me. Somebody else said that Bynum terrorized Amare in the post. You replied saying that nobody has ever done that to STAT. I simply replied to your statement by explaining that Bynum happened to dominate STAT in their regular season meeting. Bynum is not the better player, but he matches up very favorably to Amare because he is bigger, stronger, and hustles more. Amare can't handle the size and length of Bynum because Amare is actually a power forward and not a center, which was the position he was playing at the time.

Lost Art
08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Shaq is on his way out. Bynum is already better than Shaq so I'd say Bynum vs Howard is a better choice for a rivalry.

........and yes, Bynum absolutely dominates Amare in there head to head matchups..........but Amare is really a PF, so he's playing out of position if he's guarding Bynum.

cmellofan15
08-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Clearly, Bynum is a better player than Shaq currently. You said Shaq was better by far because he averaged way more points yet Shaq only averaged .5 more points and Bynum averaged 1 more point as a starter. Also you failed to mention that Bynum averaged 1 more rebound and 1.6 more rebounds as a starter as well as 1 more block.

I never said Bynum was a better player. You misinterpreted me. Somebody else said that Bynum terrorized Amare in the post. You replied saying that nobody has ever done that to STAT. I simply replied to your statement by explaining that Bynum happened to dominate STAT in their regular season meeting. Bynum is not the better player, but he matches up very favorably to Amare because he is bigger, stronger, and hustles more. Amare can't handle the size and length of Bynum because Amare is actually a power forward and not a center, which was the position he was playing at the time.

Hahahahaha! your always skoolin somebody on the Lakers :clap:

theimortalone
08-08-2008, 08:09 PM

I must have misinterpreted what you said. I understand what you mean now.

thephoenixson28
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM

If you want to get technical about it shaq averaged 13.6 ppg when he was with the heat and he averaged 15.6 when he was with the suns do you see the difference

ARMIN12NBA
08-09-2008, 02:59 AM
If you want to get technical about it shaq averaged 13.6 ppg when he was with the heat and he averaged 15.6 when he was with the suns do you see the difference

Actually, with the Heat, Shaq O'neal averaged 14.2 points per game and with the Suns he averaged 12.9 points per game. That is still not higher than Bynums 14.6 as a starter.

I still don't see the difference.

greek miami hea
08-09-2008, 09:05 AM
no.i dont think that this is a new rivalry

cahawk
08-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Bynum's rivalry is just to find a starting spot in the NBA.
It remains to be seen whether he will be a regular starter this year.