PDA

View Full Version : Can Dorsey be a bigger help than Landry?

rocketfuel
08-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I like Landry.....but, if it means overpaying and hamstringing the payroll and not having room to keep Scola....then, maybe we're better off with a cheaper alternative.

I know Dorsey is just a rookie, but he was one of the top defensive players in college, who is extremely strong and athletic. Do you think he could be a bigger boost off the bench than Landry?

Chronz
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I highly doubt it, Landry was spectacular during the regular season and played well in the playoffs where most rookies struggle their first time around. The kid has game its too bad he wont let the Rockets examine his knee.

sep11ie
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
With declining knees come declining skills.

Brun"DMC"
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I highly doubt it. Landry has somewhat of an offensive game.

t mac and vick
08-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Dorsey can be more aggresive and play defense and rebound than dorsery can be a good contributing factor regardless if he outplays landry

HouRealCoach
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Landdry played just as well as Scola and Alston did in the regular season

BRADfromOZ
08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
But he didn't have rumors of knee troubles floating around him like he does now. he should just take the medical and kill or confirm them.

Crzycjunx76
08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
The problem is without Landry we dont have anyone who can score in the post past our front line. Landry himself wasnt much of a shooter and got his points out of quickness... we really need a backup at the 4/5 who has the size(someone taller than 6ft7 please) who can shoot a midrange jumper. Dorsey cannot shoot and showed a tendency to foul out in the summer league, we all know Hayes and Deke cannot shoot for their lives, Landry might fill the bill at the 4 but only if he has improved his shooting, I really want Jeff Foster from Indy but I dont think we have anything they would take for him.
As I have said before everyone on the court needs to be able to see the floor, pass the ball, and hit a jumpshot to make the offense click. If the opposing D knows that there is a specific player that they dont have to worry about making the open jumper it gives them a HUGE advantage over us no matter who else is on the floor... and if we had say Deke and Dorsey in the lineup at the same time then it dosent matter who the other three guys on the court are.

houstonrockets1
08-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Dorsey will be like he said "Ray Lewis with a Basketball", in other words he is gonna be a defender he is not gonna be asked to contribute on the offensive end. Dorsey will end up being the back up Center for the rockets because of his strength and his massive wing span he is gonna be most likely the next Ben Wallace, All Defence and no offence.

Landry is needed on this team he is something our bench is lacking, Athleticism. He brings a hell of alot of energy off the bench and can contribute offensivley. He also does have a decent mid range game which he can improve.

Both Dorsey and Landry can rebound well something we lack. And if Yao and Scola is on the Bench those two can come in a grab boards against taller players because of Landrys athletic ability and because of Dorseys athletic ability and his 7'2 wing span.

So in the end i believe that Landry can contribute more than Dorsey but both are needed and have special skills that can help this team.

jdillion
08-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I highly doubt it. Landry has somewhat of an offensive game.

werd dorsey has no offensive game he rarely scored in college, and with chuck hayes, and scola i dont see him getting a ton of minutes but when and if he plays hell make a huge defensive impact but he wont make the impact that landry made

mightybosstone
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Landdry played just as well as Scola and Alston did in the regular season

Disagree. I think he had a decent stretch given backup minutes, but to say he was on par with the consistency of Scola and Alston (who average a hell of a lot more minutes) is wrong. I do hope that they manage to get this thing figured out, though, as he's an explosive energy player off the bench. I don't think he's worth as much as his agent does and I definitely don't think the Rockets should sign him without getting a look at that knee first.

{}
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Dorsey seems every bit as mobile as Landry, a lot stronger, and can dunk just as easily. Can he step out and limp wrist mid-range jumpers? No. But I can count on one hand the # of times Landry took a jump shot all season.

IMO, the Rockets have gone the route of the limp wrist 4 and it didn't work out. Landry and Scola showed last season that the best compliment for Yao is someone that will attack the basket area off those doubles. Landry looked really good last season because nobody respected him. It's easy to shoot 60% from the field when your defender is 20ft away double teaming someone else. Dorsey will see the same opportunities, and unlike Landry, he'll provide something on the defensive end of the court. If Landry doesn't want 2-3m then Morey needs to let him walk.

BenFrank
08-07-2008, 03:21 PM
IMO... only thing Landry has on Dorsey is his Jumpshot.. Dorsey is the better leaper, better rebounder, and better defender. I would keep Landry.. I like his skillz and energy, but chuck will be cut 4 sho, cuz Dorsey's way better than him

rocketfuel
08-07-2008, 05:56 PM
It's not to say that our coaches can't help develop Dorsey and provide him with some basic moves. I agree with the assessment that attacking the basket actually helps Yao out. Midrange jumpers help too....but if they're doubling Yao and the power forward attacks the basket hard, then 1) that's going to put a lot of pressure on them 2) it will give the power forward the easy hoop or 3) the defender might be forced to foul the power forward due to a late rotation. Unlike Hayes, Dorsey has tremendous athleticism. I would love to have Landry, but I'm also looking at the big picture and seeing that we need flexibility to keep Scola in the future (who is way more important in my opinion)....

Chronz
08-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Is there a specific reason why people are saying Landry has no midrange jumper? I mean I know he looks hesitant in taking it but so does Scola, both players would rather use the space created and attack the rim but when left completely open both Scola and Landry have a decent strokes, Landry's looks mechanical but more refined than Scolas set push shot and his % from out there are nothing to scoff at.

DreamShaker
08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
If Landry doesn't sign we will miss him....but not enough to swing our chances of doing anything significant either way.....Dorsey is like many have pointed out....not a polished offensive player....hes athletic and can get some dunks....but Landry played very smart around the basket and had great finishing abilities....you arent guarenteed that with Dorsey.....but he is gonna be a better defender more than likely....so I dunno....i'dd rather have them both:shrug: