PDA

View Full Version : Next Year

Dashtary
08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
This is what I hope next years lineup will be like... there are going to be some trades in the off-season so there are going to be a couple places to fill

1B- Texiera
2B- Probably not B-Rob
3B- Mora/Huff
SS- Prospect from trade
LF- Scott
CF- Jones
RF- Markakis
C- Weiters
DH- Mora/Huff

If if Reimold comes up where will he play since we have 3 good outfielders?

bigity b
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I hope you're right in getting Texeria and wrong on every other move. If they go after Tex, they have to keep BRob. As for offseason trades, I would like to see what they can get for Huff, Mora, and Hernandez. If they can get rid of those guys and get a SS in return they would have a solid starting lineup.

1b - Texeria
2b - Roberts
SS - ??
3b - Moore
C - Wieters
LF - Reimold
CF - Jones
RF - Markakis
DH - Scott

What about Colorado as a trade partner - they have two SS in Barmes and Tulowiski (sp?)...

bmurphy28
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
As good as Weiters is doing, I dont think he will be our starting catcher next year

Dashtary
08-06-2008, 01:35 PM
no we need to keep huff hes one of the best hitters in the mlb, i dont mind trading hernandez and his hefty contract, i would try to trade payton through waiver trade just to get sumthin out of him b/c there is no way hes comin back, and we can get a good shortstop out of b-rob

Dashtary
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I hope you're right in getting Texeria and wrong on every other move. If they go after Tex, they have to keep BRob. As for offseason trades, I would like to see what they can get for Huff, Mora, and Hernandez. If they can get rid of those guys and get a SS in return they would have a solid starting lineup.

1b - Texeria
2b - Roberts
SS - ??
3b - Moore
C - Wieters
LF - Reimold
CF - Jones
RF - Markakis
DH - Scott

What about Colorado as a trade partner - they have two SS in Barmes and Tulowiski (sp?)...

they woudlnt have to keep roberts they call up sum prospect or get one in return in a trade

bigity b
08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
no we need to keep huff hes one of the best hitters in the mlb, i dont mind trading hernandez and his hefty contract, i would try to trade payton through waiver trade just to get sumthin out of him b/c there is no way hes comin back, and we can get a good shortstop out of b-rob

but then we're at square one because we'll have a hole at shortstop. Thats why Im a big fan of trading Huff. We have a log jam at 1B so getting rid of him wont create a new hole. Plus he is the best hitter on the team this yearand makes the most money so getting rid of him is win-win all around (especially after he trashed the city of baltimore throughout the offseason and only laughed it off in spring training). Also, Huff is definately not one of the best hitters in MLB. I can think of at least 25 other guys off the top of my head I would rather have hitting for us.

vetoedbyangelos
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I hope the Orioles sign Teixeira, but I think we need Aubrey Huff. I was all for trading him earlier this year, but frankly, he's hitting too well for the money. Name another veteran MLB player who is producing more at Huff's salary level. Keep in mind, this guy is younger than Manny Ramirez and A-Rod. For some reason, everybody thinks he's washed up. We might have stumbled into another Eric Davis/Mike Lowell type situation. That being said, we need Roberts to act as a catalyst for our lineup. Teixeira needs guys on base in order to be productive. We'll probably trade off some veterans for prospects, maybe even a SS, but I think they'll go after filling that need in FA. I really like Rafael Furcal. People are down on him because of his injury problems, but he's a great hitter and defender when he's healthy. He's also the same age as Brian Roberts. It would give us time to develop our middle infield prospects while remaining more competitive in the short-term. Plus, we could always trade him later. I think Mora will slip back into a super-utility role next year and be used primarily as a pinch-hitter and bench player. His salary is prohibitive, but that no-trade clause is the biggest obstacle to moving him.

bigity b
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
do you think the O's will go after Furcal and Texeria? I never considered Furcal as the SS answer... If you could choose one or the other, which would you want? If they got Furcal, what would the lineup look like? Besides Tex, are the Orioles willing to spend money this offseason?

bigity b
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Just saw this on http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8419620/Ten-guys-who-could-slip-through-waiver-wire

"DH/OF/1B/3B Aubrey Huff, Baltimore
Contract situation: Roughly $2 million remaining on $8 million contract for 2008. Free agent after season.

Huff has shown a revived bat this year, and can fill in at a number of positions. With the Orioles pushing to replenish their farm system, and owner Peter Angelos finally convinced to build an organization. Huff is the perfect player to dangle to add a prospect."

Dave P
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I think we will go after Teixeira and will offer more than people expect but that the Yanks will probably get him. If we dont get him i think we look like this:

1B-huff
2b-roberts
3b-moore/mora
ss-???
lf- montanez
cf-jones
rf-markakis
c-wieters
dh-scott

As much as i want to see reimold, i dont see a spot with scott/huff at the DH and montanez producing

Billy Griffin
08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I hope the Orioles sign Teixeira, but I think we need Aubrey Huff. I was all for trading him earlier this year, but frankly, he's hitting too well for the money. Name another veteran MLB player who is producing more at Huff's salary level. Keep in mind, this guy is younger than Manny Ramirez and A-Rod. For some reason, everybody thinks he's washed up. We might have stumbled into another Eric Davis/Mike Lowell type situation. That being said, we need Roberts to act as a catalyst for our lineup. Teixeira needs guys on base in order to be productive. We'll probably trade off some veterans for prospects, maybe even a SS, but I think they'll go after filling that need in FA. I really like Rafael Furcal. People are down on him because of his injury problems, but he's a great hitter and defender when he's healthy. He's also the same age as Brian Roberts. It would give us time to develop our middle infield prospects while remaining more competitive in the short-term. Plus, we could always trade him later. I think Mora will slip back into a super-utility role next year and be used primarily as a pinch-hitter and bench player. His salary is prohibitive, but that no-trade clause is the biggest obstacle to moving him.

I think if the Orioles traded Mora to one of the south coastal teams...
Atlanta, DC, the Marlins or Tampa Bay.
He would welcome the trade.:clap:
Furcal is the answer at SS for the Os.. :hi5:
If the Orioles land Texiera...
trade Millar and Huff for some young arms to Seattle , Milwaukee, the White Sox or Rockies.

These 4 clubs refuse to rebuild.:offtopic:

excedrin1997
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Why is everyone so high on Scott Moore. He not necessarily lighting it up at AAA, and hasnt done much in the majors. I like the call up of Montanez, remember he was the Cubs #3 pick in the 2000 draft. Big numbers this year in the minors although he never did much up til this year. He could just be a late bloomer. I'd give him a shot over Reimold at this point, let Reimold spend a good half a year at AAA, and evaluate the progress of Montanez. I also like Furcal at SS, I mean there is not much out there to choose from to begin with.

Thinkb4upost
08-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Scott Moore...is not a serious prospect...he will never be good major leaguer...nor will Constanzo...let it go...if you want to have false hope for a prospect Montanez is your man...he has natural talent...scott moore is a fringe prospect at best...LET IT GO

Why would the rockies want huff or millar...why...they have Atkins and Stewart to play third...they have Helton at first...

Why would Seattle...they're garbage...why give up prospects for a role player and a player that maybe having a brief resurgence...Adrian Beltre...Raul Ibanez

The white sox...Paul Konerko...Jim Thome...Josh Fields...Joe Crede...WHY would

I think I made my point I'm not as familar with Milwaukees roster...Prince Fielder...

Just
Thinkb4upost

bigity b
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Sorry Mr. Thinker but it's called throwing out ideas. Re-reading this thread, I saw no one suggest Seattle, the White Sox, or Milwaukee as trading partners. (where does all this anger come from?) Further, as for Colorado, I threw out the idea because they have two shortstops and we have none. No one suggested trading Huff for them but I am open to ideas/suggestions. Perhaps you should change your name to ReadthewholethreadB4Ipost

Thinkb4upost
08-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I think if the Orioles traded Mora to one of the south coastal teams...
Atlanta, DC, the Marlins or Tampa Bay.
He would welcome the trade.:clap:
Furcal is the answer at SS for the Os.. :hi5:
If the Orioles land Texiera...
trade Millar and Huff for some young arms to Seattle , Milwaukee, the White Sox or Rockies.

These 4 clubs refuse to rebuild.:offtopic:The above poste...not the one I quoted, but the one above, should read a little better...there is no anger but there is a total lack of understanding of where the thought processes behind some of these "ideas"...most scenarios I see could only exist in fantasy land or a 12 year olds mind...which is pretty much fantasy land...read before you tell someone else to read...if your feelings are hurt somehow...thats a personal problem

Have a blessed day lol

And to kill your idea...Tuli...whatever, however the hell you spell his name...just got signed to a contract extension in the offseason...he's young...why would they trade him...and if they did if wouldnt be for a veteran(do you want to give up some young talent...)...the Rockies themselves are quite young...they peaked early and came back to earth this year...it is no reason to trade Troy T...Kliff Barnes is 29, and hasn't been able to stay healthy or ever prove that he was a viable major leaguer outside of his first month in the majors...

bshone
08-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Good post. Particularly because I'm in agreement with most of what you said.

I would like to see us do the following:

1. Get something for Jay Payton (just get a body)

2. Get something for Jamie Walker (similar to Bradford's trade)

3. Do not re-sign Millar for 09

4. Go after Mark Teixeira with authority. The worst case scenario is he signs elsewhere. Then it is likely that Roberts may want out, in which case we can still get something extremely valuable for him (the way I see it, keeping Roberts this year - and him staying healthy and performing well - his value is still high). The best case scenario is that we somehow manage to snag Teixeira, Roberts signs a long term contract to pretty much make him an all-time Oriole, and we build our lineup around a veteran right side of the infield and a couple future all stars in the outfield (and at catcher!).

5. I think we've got to keep Mora until a minor league player shows he's ready (which is probably a couple years away at least). Mora is a great defensive third baseman and, although he's streaky, he's not a complete liability at the plate.

6. I think we need to keep Hernandez until Weiters is ready to take over. I don't like the way Hernandez started the season, but we can't rely on a backup catcher on a daily basis and there's no point in going out to get a catcher when Weiters is clearly going to start there someday.

7. Keep Huff unless you can get a good SS prospect. By letting Millar go to free agency, Huff can play some 1B/DH all of next year. Then we can say we were happy to pay him $8 million per year.

I know that's a lot of "keep this guy and keep that guy", but there are plenty of reasons for this. First, we need more time for the young players in the minors to develop. Second, we signed most of these players through 2009, so unless a trade that we can't pass up comes across the table, we should get value out of these contracts rather than dangle them out for nobody prospects. Third, I'd like to see this team continue to make positive strides in the win/loss column. By getting rid of Mora, Huff, and Hernandez, the team suddenly becomes extremely young (especially starting next year with Payton and Millar hitting the FA market). I'd be concerned that they would lose the taste for winning by dropping five veteran players for prospects.

Eicholtz
08-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Bottom line the Orioles need pitching next year way more than a sexy power hitter. Look at the Rangers and every other team that can score but can't pitch.

bshone
08-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Bottom line the Orioles need pitching next year way more than a sexy power hitter. Look at the Rangers and every other team that can score but can't pitch.

Pitching is (and always will be) important, but don't you think that MacPhail has done everything he can to draft/trade for pitching prospects? Now all he has to do is give them time to blossom.

In the meantime, the O's are left with a very unique scenario. They have been weak at 1B for many years now, and a switch-hitting cornerstone player is hitting the free agent market. He's from Baltimore, and he'd like to sign for about 10 years. He's so good that many believe he is capable of convincing other good players (i.e., Brian Roberts) to stay in town and give the O's a chance in the coming years.

Pitching will always be important, but I don't think going out to get more pitching is our answer right now - not until we're seriously in contention. Just imagine if we had landed Kevin Burnett or Karl Pavano (we'd probably we worse than we are now - in fact, remember Kris Benson?). Our bullpen is on the rise from previous years - so let them continue to rise, especially with Ray and Baez coming back from injuries next year (and addition by subtraction by getting rid of Bradford and Walker). Our minor league system is littered with arms, so let those prospects grow up.

In the meantime, don't pass up a chance to land a guy who plays stellar defense, switch hits with power, and has always said he would love to play in his hometown of Baltimore. And especially don't pass up the chance to land him simply because you want to go out and get some needed pitching.

bigity b
08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I completely agree with bshone.

But I think the question is along the lines of which comes first (the chicken or the egg)? Do you build your base with a solid and steady offense that will attract free agents - roberts, jones, markakis, tex - or do you build with pitching first and add offensive weapons as needed?

The Orioles are better stocked with pitching prospects in the minors than they are with position players. Do we go after position players at the major league level and wait for the pitchers to develop? That seems to be the approach of McPhail. It's proven to work with the Angels, Tigers, etc.