PDA

View Full Version : Lars Anderson

papipapsmanny
08-06-2008, 02:39 AM
he is only 20 and doing very well in AA hitting 377 with 2 HRs is like 50 at-bats

if he finishes with a good start, and does well to start next year in AA he probably gets bumbed up to AAA around may

he could be ready by mid season next year, and he would only be 21

regardless he looks like he will definately be ready by 2010, and when he is ready i dont want to here this crap that lowell, or youk deserve to stay

he will be 22 in 2010 and if he keeps his hitting up he should be ready very soon

i cant wait to see him, i just hope the FO doesnt hold him back

this man could be our left handed texeira

Nickday
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
he'll start next year in triple a. likely getting a late call to pawtucket this season

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 08:08 AM
What is especially impressive about Lars is that his POR numbers are slightly better than his LNC numbers and the JetHawks stadium is particularly helpful to LHB. Still I have my doubts that he gets to AAA this season. Mostly, I think Bates has been having a strong enough season that he also deserves a bump up. Since Anderson has only got 15 games (49AB) in AA I don't think the Sox will jump Bates just yet.

lil'papi
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
From what I saw he needs to polish up his defense. Offense is only one part of the equation. Nevermind he needs to get stronger..
His swing is nice, compact, tight, quick and with some pop. Defensively not so much.......

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
^^^ Odd, from what I recall he was pretty solid in the field here.

homie564
08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
From what I saw he needs to polish up his defense. Offense is only one part of the equation. Nevermind he needs to get stronger..
His swing is nice, compact, tight, quick and with some pop. Defensively not so much.......

dude what report are u reading

Scouting Report: Large, powerful slugger with a great hitter's frame and a high power ceiling. Extremely smooth and fluid swing. Impeccable batting eye with very good patience at the plate, he actually could stand to be a little more aggressive. Hits especially well to the opposite field, but also can pull the ball on occasion. His swing is tailor-made for Fenway. Still strikes out a little bit too much, particularly against off-speed stuff from more advanced pitchers. Athletic for his size, plays a very good first base. Digs throws in the dirt well. Not a stolen base threat, average speed for a 1B. Takes instruction well and learns fast. Strong work ethic. Likely would have been an early second round pick in 2006 if not for high bonus demands. Still a lot of room to grow

anderson is a great defensive player... but ive heard hell likly move to third instead of youk moving back to third

ThreeIfBaerga
08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I doubt he's moved to Pawtucket this year, he's only 20, no need to push him. Let him dominate and develop his power stroke. Besides, they've got Chris Carter and Jeff Bailey in AAA, so they'd have to move two very good hitters to get Lars room in the lineup.

I think the Sox clear out some AA-AAA talent this offseason, guys who jut don't fit on this team. Carter, Pauley, Zink, maybe Hansack, etc. They could easily turn those guys into a deep bullpen. They've got a bunch of real prospects coming through that will need a spot in AA-AAA that the Sox just don't have with all those guys there.

Wake's Fastball
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
He's really come on this year. I wouldn't be entirely stunned to see him get a cup of coffee in September next season, and if he keeps hitting as he has been, he'll be in AAA to start next year. It's very, very impressive because the classically difficult jump from A to AA (which in the Boston system gets multiplied from going from hit-happy Lancaster to pitcher-friendly Portland) has been absolutely nothing for him, and as Redsoxtober pointed out, he's even probably doing better in Portland than he did in Lancaster.

Crucis
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
regardless he (Lars Anderson) looks like he will definately be ready by 2010, and when he is ready i dont want to here this crap that lowell, or youk deserve to stay

IIRC, 2010 would be the final year of Lowell's contract. Not sure about Youk.

Unless one of those players has a serious drop-off in production, I can't see the Sox moving one of them to make room for a rookie, unless that rookie happens to come up in Sept 2009 and impresses the heck out of everyone.

I'm also not really sure what trade value Lowell would have by 2010, and I'd rather not trade Youk just to make room for a rookie. I'd prefer to keep Youk around so that he could move over to 3B after Lowell's contract expires and make room for Lars.

Much as I like seeing the kids contribute, I'm not one who wants to see the productive veterans dumped just to make room for unproven kids. Now, if there are other factors involved, that may be another story. ;)

Nickday
08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I've always said keep Youk starting til Lars, then let them platoon for a while until Lars is comfortable then Youks on the bench. I've just been a huge Lars fan since i dont even remember when

yaowowrocket11
08-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Scouting Report: Large, powerful slugger with a great hitter's frame and a high power ceiling. Extremely smooth and fluid swing. Impeccable batting eye with very good patience at the plate, he actually could stand to be a little more aggressive. Hits especially well to the opposite field, but also can pull the ball on occasion. His swing is tailor-made for Fenway. Still strikes out a little bit too much, particularly against off-speed stuff from more advanced pitchers. Athletic for his size, plays a very good first base. Digs throws in the dirt well. Not a stolen base threat, average speed for a 1B. Takes instruction well and learns fast. Strong work ethic. Likely would have been an early second round pick in 2006 if not for high bonus demands. Still a lot of room to grow

anderson is a great defensive player... but ive heard hell likly move to third instead of youk moving back to third

Source that scouting report, unless you wrote it.

I think Anderson is easily our best prospect, and will be our starting 1B in 2010. The guy is just a pure hitter, and I think that he can be a franchise player for the Sox.

PapelbonLester
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I've always said keep Youk starting til Lars, then let them platoon for a while until Lars is comfortable then Youks on the bench. I've just been a huge Lars fan since i dont even remember when

youk to the bench.......you must be on some serious **** bro

PapelbonLester
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM

I think Anderson is easily our best prospect, and will be our starting 1B in 2010. The guy is just a pure hitter, and I think that he can be a franchise player for the Sox.

its from soxprospects.com

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM

It's from SoxProspects.com. Regardless, I believe lil'papi (the post against which the scouting report was offered) was stating what he had seen, rather than what he'd read in a scouting report. As I said above, he was pretty steady here in Greenville so maybe lil'papi saw him on an off day?

tc2deuce
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
depending on Lowell's health..we could always move Youk to 3rd and bring Lars to 1b

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
That is the only thing that makes sense. Lars has always been a 1B whereas Youk has some experience across the diamond.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Well it makes logical sense. You don't bench a guy like Youkalis, but you also don't put someone like Lars somewhere he isn't comfortable.

Lowell is on a 3 year which will end in 2010.. 2011 has Youk at third and Lars at 1st.

IceMan360
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Youk is a gold glove 1st baseman so putting at 3rd kinda weaken us defencely. Theres still time to convert Lars to 3rd base

ThreeIfBaerga
08-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Youk is a gold glove 1st baseman so putting at 3rd kinda weaken us defencely. Theres still time to convert Lars to 3rd base

Lars is left handed and not athletic enough to play third. Youk can slide back over to third or even out out to left if need be, I can't see him putting up a fuss about a position change. He's passionate enough about winning I think he'd be okay with it.

Then again who knows, maybe Lars is traded for Grady Sizemore and we never have to discuss this sort of thing.

papipapsmanny
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
no i will kill the sox if they trade anderson ill kill them, he is like are surest prospect in a while now

TheKid
08-06-2008, 01:36 PM
i know this is blasphemy but what are the chances that ortiz is done in 2011 and we put lars in DH? and by done i mean his body just cant hold up to the rigors of the 162 anymore and he retires? mind you he'll be turning 36 in 2011 so it's not 100% impossible that a man of his size might try to hang it up for his health.

Also, his contract is through 2010 with a team option for 2011...

Not saying i like the idea, but saying it's possible that either the sox don't extend him or he retires around the time lars comes up....

tonyd3b54
08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
2010-11 is a big year for the sox... the moves they make tha year will determine wether well compete fo rthe 5 years after that... lowell ortiz are getting up there and their contracts are ending... new prospects are coming up and contributing... will they cut loose ortiz and lowell? will they go out and sign big name FAs? well see then should be fun to watch...

Sportfan
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I doubt he's moved to Pawtucket this year, he's only 20, no need to push him. Let him dominate and develop his power stroke. Besides, they've got Chris Carter and Jeff Bailey in AAA, so they'd have to move two very good hitters to get Lars room in the lineup.

I think the Sox clear out some AA-AAA talent this offseason, guys who jut don't fit on this team. Carter, Pauley, Zink, maybe Hansack, etc. They could easily turn those guys into a deep bullpen. They've got a bunch of real prospects coming through that will need a spot in AA-AAA that the Sox just don't have with all those guys there.

i think carter should stay. he's tearing up the minors with a .300 avg 24 HR and 78 rbi's

homie564
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM

as said earlier its from soxprospects.com lol

homie564
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
carter should definitely be a future outfielder in the sox the guy is absolutely destroying AAA

Sportfan
08-06-2008, 03:52 PM
he is only 20 and doing very well in AA hitting 377 with 2 HRs is like 50 at-bats

if he finishes with a good start, and does well to start next year in AA he probably gets bumbed up to AAA around may

he could be ready by mid season next year, and he would only be 21

regardless he looks like he will definately be ready by 2010, and when he is ready i dont want to here this crap that lowell, or youk deserve to stay

he will be 22 in 2010 and if he keeps his hitting up he should be ready very soon

i cant wait to see him, i just hope the FO doesnt hold him back

this man could be our left handed texeira

the red sox will hold him back and that's a good thing. just look at hansen.

LOL i just found out we drafted him in the 18th round. WHAT A STEAL!

Crucis
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
i know this is blasphemy but what are the chances that ortiz is done in 2011 and we put lars in DH? and by done i mean his body just cant hold up to the rigors of the 162 anymore and he retires? mind you he'll be turning 36 in 2011 so it's not 100% impossible that a man of his size might try to hang it up for his health.

Not saying i like the idea, but saying it's possible that either the sox don't extend him or he retires around the time lars comes up....

There's no doubt that Ortiz can't have many more seasons, although he's younger than Manny, and as a DH he could conceivably play a lot longer. However, who knows what health problems the big guy might have in the future.

Also, the last year on Lowell's contract is 2010.

Rather than putting Lars at DH, maybe he should be at 1st, Youk at 3rd, and perhaps if Carter is still around, he could be the DH. With his good offensive numbers and overall defensive weakness, Carter looks like a DH waiting to happen.

The biggest question mark for me is whether some of these prospects will be ready a little too soon, i.e. before the guys they may be slotted to replace have their current contracts expire.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
we r loaded with prospects.

remember we let Murphy go to texas and he is doing great.

its a great problem to have.

Crucis
08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
carter should definitely be a future outfielder in the sox the guy is absolutely destroying AAA

With Drew signed to a long term deal, and the likelihood of the Sox trying to extend Bay, exactly where do you see Carter playing in the OF... as a groundskeeper? ;)

I actually think that it's more likely that Carter might be a potential replacement for Ortiz. Or maybe a shorter term replacement for Casey. Don't know if Casey's signed for 2009, but if he isn't, Carter might have a chance to win a backup 1B-DH-(5th OF) job on the big club.

slapmyside
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
2010-11 is a big year for the sox... the moves they make tha year will determine wether well compete fo rthe 5 years after that... lowell ortiz are getting up there and their contracts are ending... new prospects are coming up and contributing... will they cut loose ortiz and lowell? will they go out and sign big name FAs? well see then should be fun to watch...

plus you have the whole myan calander end of the world thing in 2012 coming up too, that should play big in ....lol sorry:D

quiksilver2491
08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
the red sox will hold him back and that's a good thing. just look at hansen.

LOL i just found out we drafted him in the 18th round. WHAT A STEAL!

:sigh:

Hansen was brought up the year he was drafted, not to mention he was a pitcher which is totally different then the learning curve of a everyday player. Lars Anderson wasn't a steal at all, everyone knew what his talent's were and he likely would have been a compensation first rounder if not for high bonus demands. We ended up signing him for $825,000 which is a lot for an 18th rounder. Luckily for us he has been worth the steep price but this isn't the NFL, players don't get drafted by talent alone in MLB.

homie564
08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
plus you have the whole myan calander end of the world thing in 2012 coming up too, that should play big in ....lol sorry:D

thanks for that ever so lovely thought :sad2:

epgelinas
08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I live in Manchester, NH and catch the SeaDogs when they come to town. I must have caught lars on a bad day because i watched him strike out twice, once on a pitch outside the zone and in the dirt. If it was against a top pitcher that'd be 1 thing, but some middleinfielder of ours named Iggy(??) hit 2 homers that game and his BA was about .200

I agree scouting reports are good, and he has apparently improved in the last week. Let's keep in mind he's in AA and at best will help us on 2010, when he'll probably be a reserve for most of that year. How about Chris Carter who is currently been destroying AAA pitching. At the rate things are going we aughtta move Drew to center and bring Carter up in the roll Moss was filling, unless Jacoby turns things around. Remember Carter is the ultimate return we got for Bronson Arroyo, via 2 Wily Mo Pena trades. Lars maybe.... Carter definitely!!!

Nickday
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM

except he's slow as hell, has more of a noodle then johnny damon, and can't field. noo thanks. He can pinch hit in September, but I'd rather..never see him patrolling any part of the outfield(or first base for that matter) for more than a game or two at a time

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Lars is killing it and I could see him getting a september call up next year. His BA is now higher than it was in hit-friendly Lancaster. He has homered in 3 straight games and his OPS is above 1.000. I really hope they give this kid a chance in Pawtucket for the post-season if Portland doesn't make it.

Cassidy28
08-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Is he playing saturday at the futures at fenway game?

RedSoxtober
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
no i will kill the sox if they trade anderson ill kill them, he is like are surest prospect in a while now

"surest prospect in a while now..." since what, last year when Ellsbury came up? You make it sound like we've been without position prospects forever and we're currently watching one "sure thing" in CF and another farm system product at 2B and SS.

Lars will be ready before that. It's much more likely IMO that they move Youk back to third (obviously a position he still plays) and get Lars bat in the lineup by 2011 when Lowell's deal is done. Actually I'm betting Lars makes the team in 2010 as the corner IF backup before taking a full time role the next year. Papi's replacement will come from somewhere else.

Carter can't field. He was stuck at 1B in the hopes that his complete lack of mobility could be made up for by standing still just to keep his bat in the lineup and it didn't work, not at the MLB level anyway.

Besides, for as much hitting prowess as he's got, he still couldn't displace 29yr old (almost 30) Jeff Bailey at 1B. Bailey has nearly identical cumulative stats (24HR, 71RBI) but better rate stats (.973OPS vs .871, Bailey has 60 fewer AB). And still I expect to see Bailey find a job somewhere else next year. Carter will follow a similar path.

And as much as it sounds good to slot him as Papi's replacement, I don't think the 26yr old is going to wait three seasons in AAA for a chance to compete for the DH job in 2012.

papipapsmanny
08-08-2008, 12:32 AM
im saying for like power hitting wise, anderson i surest thing that i have seen in our system in a while

in 53 at bats he is now hitting .340, .429 OBP with 3 HRs and 12 RBI

he has had a homerun for 3 games in a row now

RedSoxtober
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
im saying for like power hitting wise, anderson i surest thing that i have seen in our system in a while

in 53 at bats he is now hitting .340, .429 OBP with 3 HRs and 12 RBI

he has had a homerun for 3 games in a row now

Thanks for clarifying. The way you said it before was much more open ended and discounted guys like Ellsbury, Buchholz, Lester, etc.

lil'papi
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM

I actually watched him play, Dude. The play by play guys mentioned in an interview with his coach he needed to work on his defense. He also made an error while I watched.
Albeit it was only two games. He is skinny , but he is young. I don't need a scouting report. I believe what my eyes tell me. He WILL fill out he is how old ? You'd think I just beat up your little brother. :p

He also missed his cutoff assignment. Maybe it was from being moved up (doubts) they are usually universal.

He isn't anywhere near ML ready, my opinion.

papipapsmanny
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
thing is cant judge by 2 games

even lowell makes errors and he is in the mlb winning gold gloves

lil'papi
08-09-2008, 09:16 AM
thing is cant judge by 2 games

even lowell makes errors and he is in the mlb winning gold gloves

Read what I wrote again. "The play by play guys mentioned in an interview with his coach he needed to work on his defense."

Then read the scouting report.
"Still a lot of room to grow."

papipapsmanny
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
wow this man is on fire he really could get bumped up to AAA if he keeps playing like this

lil'papi
08-17-2008, 08:22 AM
2010, makes sense. Next year he shows the same improvement he gets a late callup. Unless we get Teixera. :D

papipapsmanny
08-17-2008, 01:19 PM
improvement? he doing much better than say a person like matt weiters, who will be the starting C in 09 for the OS this is why i didnt want to sign lowell i knew this would happen, he would block someone, and i even said he would start fading which he did

if anderson gets bumped up to AAA and continues to be successful say hits .320 with 9 homeruns from say the end of this season to june, there is no reason u dont bring him up

futureheisman
09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
one of the best prospects in baseball

JacobyIsMyHomie
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
no chance, he is our 1B of the future

quiksilver2491
09-15-2008, 07:24 PM
he could be a chip to trade for a young catcher

How about no....................he is one of the best hitting prospects in all of baseball. Trading prospects for prospects is dumb anyways.

papipapsmanny
09-15-2008, 08:27 PM

u should be banned from life for saying that

futureheisman
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
wasnt thinking

Osiagledknarf
09-16-2008, 04:44 AM

For this, and so many other ideas that you have brought up in the past, I am limitlessly grateful that you are not in charge in the front office.

futureheisman
09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
For this, and so many other ideas that you have brought up in the past, I am limitlessly grateful that you are not in charge in the front office.

first off i was joking saying the whole young catcher thing and what else have i said in the past.

Osiagledknarf
09-18-2008, 05:42 PM
You were so obviously not joking...you even admitted as much. And you've unleashed a torrent other of woeful ideas. Things you've said in the past include that horrible A.J. Burnett idea, Juan Cruz (and how well he pitches in the AL), and I think you even mentioned Rafael Furcal once or twice. These are just the ones that come immediately to mind, there's been plenty others.

To each his own, and I'm fine with that. I just hate pretty much everything you say, haha. I'm glad you're having fun though.

76YazwSideburns
09-18-2008, 09:39 PM

Nice.

76YazwSideburns
09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
You were so obviously not joking...you even admitted as much. And you've unleashed a torrent other of woeful ideas. Things you've said in the past include that horrible A.J. Burnett idea, Juan Cruz (and how well he pitches in the AL), and I think you even mentioned Rafael Furcal once or twice. These are just the ones that come immediately to mind, there's been plenty others.

To each his own, and I'm fine with that. I just hate pretty much everything you say, haha. I'm glad you're having fun though.

Nicer.

Osiagledknarf
09-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah I sound like a dick...I know. I'm sure he's a great guy, just everything he says makes me cringe.

Celts22
09-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah I sound like a dick...I know. I'm sure he's a great guy, just everything he says makes me cringe.

:nod:

You're not the only one...

Osiagledknarf
09-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Haha...phew. Good to know.

lil'papi
09-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks for admitting it. :D

He thinks outside the box and that's ok. :eyebrow:

Osiagledknarf
09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Eh...his box is warped and soggy. Most of those ideas are absurd, and you know it!

futureheisman
09-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Eh...his box is warped and soggy. Most of those ideas are absurd, and you know it!

Yours our there buddy

CanadianSoxFan
09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
anyone else not have a clue what he is trying to say?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
:shrug:

76YazwSideburns
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM

Made of cardboard, I'm guessing.

Osiagledknarf
09-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Yours our there buddy

What exactly are you trying to say to me? Were you trying to zing me or something? Are you saying my ideas or comments are "out there" as well, just like yours? If so, which ones are you talking about? Do you know? Or was that just another juvenile reactionary spasm, like "I don't even remember saying I wanted to break the record for most posts...that's not what I want to do." I'd really love to hear this clarification. Please...tell me.

Also, I do understand that typo's happen so I am generally not the type to harp on them, but how is it that seemingly EVERY...SINGLE...ONE of your posts borders on illegible due to typo's, spelling, or grammar?

lil'papi
09-23-2008, 09:38 AM

YES, absurd I do know that.

You really aren't a dick , that was a joke, you got that right? ;) Even though you admitted it. :D

I like to hear the ideas , even if they are absurd. It's fun.

We can only dissect this team so much then we must use imagination. Which is fine , as long as it's not straight out of the Twilight Zone / Enquirer. :p

Some crazy ideas get typed here. Sometimes the sniff test isn't even needed. You just laugh.

Osiagledknarf
09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Eh...it's just one after another with him, which in itself is fine. What bothers me about him is he cops some serious attitude, and if you're going to make a ridiculous argument, at least do it in some type of quasi-coherent way.

Cassidy28
09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
So back to Lars Anderson? :)

Osiagledknarf
09-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Haha...right then. Lars Anderson, great prospect...tons of promise...don't trade him.

lil'papi
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Lars for president!

Osiagledknarf
09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Well...I'll start with Lars for 1B, and see how he does. Then we can talk about president, haha.

Osiagledknarf
09-28-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm pretty aware of the offensive potential and talent that Lars Anderson brings to the table. However, I have been searching around trying to find out how he rates defensively, but I can't find much. Do any of you guys have any information on that? Have you seen him play? How's he look in the field?

futureheisman
09-28-2008, 09:37 AM
a little above average

Wake's Fastball
09-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty aware of the offensive potential and talent that Lars Anderson brings to the table. However, I have been searching around trying to find out how he rates defensively, but I can't find much. Do any of you guys have any information on that? Have you seen him play? How's he look in the field?

From what I've heard, he can make the plays at first, he's athletic, and seems to have pretty solid range. Certainly isn't going to be a detriment to the team on defense, but I don't think he'll match up with what Youk's giving us right now.

Osiagledknarf
09-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Hmmm...I know he's pretty tall and long, which is always an advantage at first. I'd be really excited to see him play.

lil'papi
09-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I saw him twice, he made two blunders , one in each game. He just needs more time defensively , tools are solid. He can pick it has a decent arm just needs to get more fluid.
First base is all footwork. Once he gets smoother he will be more than adequate. Year away probably. Offensively he could play now. If your standards are J Giambi then he is GG caliber now.:D

Osiagledknarf
09-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Ah, lil'papi...I knew you'd have good info on him! Thanks!

Sportfan
10-04-2008, 05:24 PM
he's probally the best 1b prospect right know and it seems like no one out of red sox nation knows about him.

ERLynx
10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
i went to highschool with Brian Pritz and I think he's awesome. Let's start threads about Brian Pritz. Go Pritz!

Adalbjorg
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm very happy with how Lars progressed this year. He made the jump to the pitcher friendly environment of Double-A Portland and his numbers actually improved! Overall in Portland he hit .316/.436/.526 with 13 doubles, 5 home runs and 30 RBI in 133 AB. He did it all at age 20 as well. I think we might get a look at him in the majors next year if he keeps up the good work.

Osiagledknarf
10-07-2008, 03:17 AM
That's very exciting. What kind of player do scouts project him as, or compare him to?

lil'papi
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm very happy with how Lars progressed this year. He made the jump to the pitcher friendly environment of Double-A Portland and his numbers actually improved! Overall in Portland he hit .316/.436/.526 with 13 doubles, 5 home runs and 30 RBI in 133 AB. He did it all at age 20 as well. I think we might get a look at him in the majors next year if he keeps up the good work.

I agree, why? Lowells injury. If it lingers he will be a nice option.
Why not. He will hit as good as Casey with more power, or Kotsay. Off season at API would make him even more of a power threat, so yeah. Cheap.
We could save money and get his feet wet.

Osiagledknarf
10-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Lil'papi talking about the Red Sox saving money? What?! ;)

dieseleric
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
That's very exciting. What kind of player do scouts project him as, or compare him to?

SoxProspects compares him to James Loney...I would definitely be happy with a player like that

Crucis
10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree, why? Lowells injury. If it lingers he will be a nice option.
Why not. He will hit as good as Casey with more power, or Kotsay. Off season at API would make him even more of a power threat, so yeah. Cheap.
We could save money and get his feet wet.

If Lowell's injury does linger and threaten his career, I suppose that Anderson could be an option. However, given how the Sox seem to like to be careful with developing their kids, I have to think that they won't want to rush him to the big club too soon.

For argument's sake, let say that Lowell's injury ends his career. Would the Sox use Anderson as his immediate replacement (Youk to 3B, Lars to 1B)? My thought is not immediately. I'm thinking that the Sox might be pushing Anderson thru the system as fast as they think safe, but that they'd try to find a short term solution to hold them over until he is ready. That short term solution could be Casey or perhaps Bailey, or maybe some older free agent 1B-man (or 3B-man).

I say this cuz the Sox haven't shown any inclination to take a raw rookie and dump them into a starting slot in spring training. It seems to me that their prefered development path includes calling them up mid season for a short cup-o-coffee, just to let the player get a short taste, then call the player up a few weeks later for a longer stint or for the rest of the season (depending on injury statuses). I think that every one of the young kids on the team that came from its farm system followed this path to some degree. And given the team's success with this development path, I see no reason that they'd want to deviate from it.

Besides, would the Sox really be in any worse position if they let, for example, Bailey start the year at 1B, to give Lars Anderson more development time, rather than just dump LA into the frying pan? The worst thing that might happen is that Bailey bombs and they just call up Anderson. Flipside is that Bailey might really be productive, and we'd have two possible new 1B-men.

bagwell368
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
No way LA plays more then a handful for the Sox next year.

It's either Lugo at SS (gasp) and Lowrie at 3B - or - Youk at 3B, old guys/Bailey at 1B.

In '10 after we find out if the Sox think Lowrie has enough lumber to play 3B, or is quick enough to stay at SS. Youk goes to 1B, and we buy a 3B or SS, and Lars is the DH, because I am quite sure come the start of '11 that Ortiz is toast - even though he is signed through that season.

Crucis
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
IF (big if, since I don't know) Lars is a good defensive 1B-man, why waste him at DH? I'd rather usee the DH slot for a player who has a heck of a back and no glove. Perhaps someone like a Chris Carter...

ruckus16969
10-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I really hope this kid devolopes into a star

Osiagledknarf
10-09-2008, 03:39 AM
If Lowell's injury does linger and threaten his career, I suppose that Anderson could be an option. However, given how the Sox seem to like to be careful with developing their kids, I have to think that they won't want to rush him to the big club too soon.

For argument's sake, let say that Lowell's injury ends his career. Would the Sox use Anderson as his immediate replacement (Youk to 3B, Lars to 1B)? My thought is not immediately. I'm thinking that the Sox might be pushing Anderson thru the system as fast as they think safe, but that they'd try to find a short term solution to hold them over until he is ready. That short term solution could be Casey or perhaps Bailey, or maybe some older free agent 1B-man (or 3B-man).

I say this cuz the Sox haven't shown any inclination to take a raw rookie and dump them into a starting slot in spring training. It seems to me that their prefered development path includes calling them up mid season for a short cup-o-coffee, just to let the player get a short taste, then call the player up a few weeks later for a longer stint or for the rest of the season (depending on injury statuses). I think that every one of the young kids on the team that came from its farm system followed this path to some degree. And given the team's success with this development path, I see no reason that they'd want to deviate from it.

Besides, would the Sox really be in any worse position if they let, for example, Bailey start the year at 1B, to give Lars Anderson more development time, rather than just dump LA into the frying pan? The worst thing that might happen is that Bailey bombs and they just call up Anderson. Flipside is that Bailey might really be productive, and we'd have two possible new 1B-men.

Everything you said just feels right to me. I would LOVE to have them go out, get Teixeira for 1B, move Youkilis to 3B, and then somehow still figure out a role for Anderson when he is ready...but I just don't think that's likely to happen. I think you are very right when you suggest it will be Youkilis playing 3B and some stop-gap at 1B, or Lowrie at 3B and some new solution at SS. Unfortunately, the Lugo and Lowell signings have kinda limited the Sox as far as what they can realistically do now.

Crucis
10-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Everything you said just feels right to me. I would LOVE to have them go out, get Teixeira for 1B, move Youkilis to 3B, and then somehow still figure out a role for Anderson when he is ready...but I just don't think that's likely to happen. I think you are very right when you suggest it will be Youkilis playing 3B and some stop-gap at 1B, or Lowrie at 3B and some new solution at SS. Unfortunately, the Lugo and Lowell signings have kinda limited the Sox as far as what they can realistically do now.

Thanks, Osi.

I'd overlooked the possibility that Lowrie could also be a 3B option with a fill-in at SS. However, I don't like this particular option for a couple of reasons.

A. I think that the Sox would love to get off the SS merry-go-round that they've been on ever since they traded Nomar. And Lowrie looks like their best chance to do that.

B. I'm not sure if Lowrie's ever going to be a great hitter. He might be a nice hitter who won't fold up like a cheap suit in the clutch, but he's no (healthy) Mike Lowell.

C. I have to think that the Sox would like to keep a solid offensive contributor at 3B, and honestly I would put Lowrie in that category. OTOH, Youkilis certainly does. And I think that, for example, Bailey looks to have better offensive potential than does Lowrie, hence making a Youk to 3B and Bailey to 1B (while waiting for Lars Anderson) look like a better option from an offensive standpoint to me. I can accept Lowrie's decent but not outstanding offensive contributions at SS, particularly while he's a rock solid defender. I'm not so sure that I'd like to see that at 3B, and then have to end up with a copy of that at SS as well.

Re: Texiera
I'm not as hot about Tex as others. I do not doubt that he's a great player. If he was a RH hitter, I might be more interested. I just don't want to see the team get too lefty centric in the lineup. Also, UNLESS Lowell is forced to end his career due to injury, there's clearly no reason that the Sox would go out and spend silly money on a 1B-man when they already have Youkilis and Lowell.

And even if the Sox did lose Lowell, what if the Sox were to win the WS this year? How would that impact any such decision? Would they have the feeling that "we won with this current set of guys and we can afford to wait for Anderson later in 09 or maybe 10", and not go after Tex? Or would they go full force after him? I tend to think the former, largely based on the actions of the team and Theo over the past few years. I have a hard time seeing them feeling any pressing need to sign Tex. (The Yankees, OTOH, appear to have a true "need" to go after Tex, since they really lack a good 1B-man.)

Osiagledknarf
10-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Well, I certainly would not be in favor of going after Teixeira if Lowell is perfectly capable of playing. It's probably too soon to say.

Teixeira is a switch-hitter though, so theoretically he is more valuable than a right-handed batter...or a left-handed batter for that matter. But again, you're right...I think the Sox are going to be conservative and wait for Anderson to claim 1B.

I like Lowrie at shortstop as well...but all the buzz and tingle I have read has projected Lowrie as a Bill Mueller type of player...and Mueller certainly did A-OK at 3B. I also think Lowrie is going to beef up a little...maybe he heads down to API this winter, who knows. I don't think he's ever going to be a 35+ HR guy, but he could be a 20+ with some conditioning. I think he provides the Sox with alot of versatility and options.

Crucis
10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Osi, I also have to admit that I'm also wary of creating a situation where your two best hitters might be your 1B-man and your DH. Now, of course, Youk has developed into being one of the team's best hitters, but he also has the option to move to 3rd, whether temporarily to replace Lowell on a day off, or maybe longer term. But I'm wary of ending up with a situation where you go into interleague games, be they regular season or world series, where you have no choice but to lose one of them.

Now, admittedly, if Lowell's career was over, Sox certainly could move Youk to 3B to make room for Tex. And since it's looking like Ortiz may be on the backside of his career, it's also less of an issue in that regard.

It's just a concern that I have, and one reason why I almost prefer not typing up mega money at 1B. At least when you have a lesser paid player like a younger Youkilis or in the near future, Anderson, you aren't as concerned about the issue. And not to say anything negative about Bay, who I would like to see extended, but in some ways, if the Sox wanted to spend major bucks on an offensive powerhouse, I'd almost rather it was Holliday than Texiera, since he's an OF'er and the 1B/DH concern is a non-issue.

Regarding Lowrie, only time will tell, I suppose. No doubt that Bill Meuller was a darned nice player, but I like Lowell more, because aside from defense, he simply has provided more pop to the lineup. The nice thing about long term moving Youkilis to 3B is that you end up keeping a lot of pop in the 3B slot, whereas with Lowrie, it's not certain whether he'll end up providing that level of production. And I'm not really dissing Lowrie. If he ended up being mostly a .280-.290 line drive hitter with mostly doubles power, a knack for getting clutch hits, and a dependable glove, I'd be thrilled to have him at SS.

On switch hitters... some of them are nice, but I really don't like seeing the Sox be too LH hitting centric, since they play in Fenway. And the downside, such as it is, of a switchhitter in Fenway is that if the other team is using a RH pitcher, your hitter is going to be hitting LH... and given the comparitive numbers of RH and LH pitchers, that will be much more often than not. I just don't like being to lefty-centric and seeing our lefty hitters hitting long fly ball outs to RF that would be wall balls or homers to LF. Mind you, I do not want to return to the old days when the Sox line up was almost 100% righty. I just want the Sox to retain a nice core of righty power, which this year has been Lowell, Youk, and Manny/Bay.

Osiagledknarf
10-11-2008, 04:38 AM
I understand the 1B/DH concern that you're talking about. Having to sit Youkilis in Colorado last year was a drag. I think though, with Ortiz seeming to slow down a bit like you said, this becomes less of an issue. For argument's sake...if the Red Sox did sign Teixeira, is there any question who would be playing in interleague games? It would be Teixeira, no doubt. If Anderson is as legitimate as people are saying...the same is probably true of him. Either way, you still end up with legitimate power options at both 1B and 3B, as well as at DH.

I'm with you on Lowrie...I think I'd prefer to see him at SS as well.

On Holliday...he's an impressive player. I guess we'll see what happens with Bay. Holliday is a little younger, but Bay has seemed to be such a great teammate and contributor. Unfortunately, there's no way to get them both...unless Bay can play RF, hahaha! For me, the jury is still out on this...I'm all for waiting through the 2009 season and making the call then.

lil'papi
10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Lil'papi talking about the Red Sox saving money? What?! ;)

Well in this day and age fiscal responsibility must be enacted. :D ER'......more money to sign -whats -his -name?

I'm fine with young talent so we can mix in the expensive talent. :p

lil'papi
10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
On switch hitters... some of them are nice, but I really don't like seeing the Sox be too LH hitting centric, since they play in Fenway. And the downside, such as it is, of a switchhitter in Fenway is that if the other team is using a RH pitcher, your hitter is going to be hitting LH... and given the comparitive numbers of RH and LH pitchers, that will be much more often than not. I just don't like being to lefty-centric and seeing our lefty hitters hitting long fly ball outs to RF that would be wall balls or homers to LF. Mind you, I do not want to return to the old days when the Sox line up was almost 100% righty. I just want the Sox to retain a nice core of righty power, which this year has been Lowell, Youk, and Manny/Bay

I remember looking this up LH'ed hitters in Fenway they actually do better there. Hence the big push for Drew. Ortiz hasn't been hindered there. Johnny Damon either......

It's a myth that LH'ers are less effective it was actually RH'ed hitters who lost something there. I'll try and dig it up....
I don't think they will get too lefty heavy. I can see the concern with Anderson , but I'm betting he finds the Wall......alot. ;)

this is up to 2001

Fred Lynn
Yaz
Teddy ballgame...

"In 5 of the last 6 years, Fenway has boosted left-handed batting averages more than right-handed averages."

http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/Bos/

lil'papi
10-11-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/making-the-most-of-fenway-park/

Osiagledknarf
10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah...I always thought it was left-handed pitchers who had the reputation of struggling at Fenway...which made more sense to me. Either way, I think Teixeira and/or Anderson would do just fine in Fenway. There's always going to be plenty of right-handed power in Boston's lineups.

futureheisman
10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
texiera would prevent anderson from coming up. I think that anderson should get a call up next year but im not sure if texiera gets signed if anderson will be starting here for some time.

The Intimidator
10-11-2008, 11:17 AM
texiera would prevent anderson from coming up. I think that anderson should get a call up next year but im not sure if texiera gets signed if anderson will be starting here for some time.

What makes you think that we're signing Teixeira? Do you plan on trading Youkilis or Lowell? And if so, what are we getting in return? Any logic behind this?

papipapsmanny
10-11-2008, 12:18 PM
if lowell or youk is inured next year and Anderson is still producing,.. he is going to be the gut to replace them

bagwell368
10-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Consider:

#1 I think there is an excellent chance that Lowell's career is either over, or he will be beset by constant health issues from '09 onward. If he actually retires they get an insurance policy hit as well.

#2 Papi isn't the same player anymore and will not be again - at least over a whole season.

#3 If they are not sure Lars is the man in '10

If brass believe all 3 things are true, then Tex is the man to get. If none or one is true then they can cobble something together while waiting to see on Lars. If two are true - esp doubt in Lars, then Tex may still be the guy.

For the Sox the first four years I would expect to see seasons like this:

.314/.421/.618 w/ 34 HR, 55 2B 135 RBI (not that they matter)

He is also a very patient hitter and will the Sox like a glove. That's a thick lineup too, then sign CC, and its WS all the time baby!

Crucis
10-11-2008, 01:26 PM
bagwell, I think that the problem with your logic is that I doubt that Lowell will be retiring anytime soon. He seems like the sort of competitor who will be trying to get out there and play as soon as he's healed up from his surgery. And that doesn't line up well with trying to go after Tex in this upcoming off-season.

All in all, it seems much more likely that the Sox will give Lowell every chance to play next season, and have Youk at 3B and a combo of Bailey/Casey/(someone else) and, when they think he's ready, Lars Anderson as the fall back plan. Heck, I don't think that it's too great a stretch to think that Youk at 3rd and Lars at 1st is the long term plan. It's just that Lowell's situation may cause the long term plan to get pulled in a bit.

Osiagledknarf
10-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I think until we really find out what's up with Lowell's hip, it's really tough to make a call on this. A serious hip injury would be a big, BIG deal and a major setback for Lowell. If that's the case, I think the odds of getting Teixeira increase...but not necessarily become overwhelming. Luckily, they have alot of options.

As for getting BOTH Sabathia AND Teixeira...wow, that's alot of years and money. My head is spinning.

Osiagledknarf
10-11-2008, 09:32 PM

And then...

The pitching an dfense on this team is probably the best right now in the league. Osiagledknarf is right about peavey way too expensive. We may need to do something with the offense though.

I wouldnt mind seeing a guy like Holliday or texteria in here to add some pop to the lineup. If you could some how get text and move youk to third it would add already to a defense but a huge bat in the middle of the lineup. This would be your lineup in 2009:

CF:Ellsbury
2Bedroia
DH:Ortiz
1b:Texteria
3B:Youk
LF: Bay
RFrew
SS:lowrie
C:Tec

I hope tec is not back next year

Which option would you prefer?

lil'papi
10-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I asked a relative , who is also a doctor , about Lowells hip which is a torn labrum. He said' " they have a new procedure that is much better than the previous one" He also noted a three month recovery.

This would lessen the chance of getting Teixera. IMO.

I'd say we could work Teixera into our lineup and eventually let Ortiz go...We could DH Youk-Anderson-Teixera and rest them at the same time over the long haul.

Sounds to much like a luxury though......

futureheisman
10-12-2008, 07:59 PM
tex here i would prefer and as as lowell at this point i woul deal him for whatever you could get. Lowell for a guy who is under performing or a guy who needs a change of secnery.

Osiagledknarf
10-13-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of trading Lowell this year. There are enough third basemen or comparable options in this offseason's market, that teams will not feel the need to trade for an aging player with mounting health concerns.

futureheisman
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
i hope there able to

goldglove212
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
some guy in the mets forum posted top 100 prospects Lars is number 5 i think

76YazwSideburns
10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of trading Lowell this year. There are enough third basemen or comparable options in this offseason's market, that teams will not feel the need to trade for an aging player with mounting health concerns.

Yes, but Philly specifically said they wanted an aging, injured, just operated on, signed for 2 more years third baseman who bore a slight resemblance to George Clooney - so I think our problems are solved.

Osiagledknarf
10-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Haha...GOLD!!! That seems to be a match then, haha. George Clooney though? Maybe a little. The Youkilis to Popeye comparison was a pretty good one though, and hilarious. Haha.