PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable!

Zoomlander
08-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Are we Tigers fans cursed? what have we done to deserve this?

Dalionking
08-06-2008, 01:16 AM
i am so done with these #ssholes. unf*ckingbelievable! how can the bully lose this many games in crucial times of the year. ***** THEM!

tigers are like 7-11, they never close

Epic89
08-06-2008, 02:27 AM
i am so done with these #ssholes. unf*ckingbelievable! how can the bully lose this many games in crucial times of the year. ***** THEM!

tigers are like 7-11, they never close

Ditto.

Done with this team. Gonna take a world series championship for me to ever forgive them.

~Troy
08-06-2008, 02:42 AM
I think it's time to put this year to a close and just focus on getting better next year. It's pretty obvious that we're not making the playoffs, with such pitching like this.

If we don't get a big pitching pick-up over the offseason, I don't know if I'll be able to stay a tigers fan.

IrightI
08-06-2008, 05:49 AM
that was pretty ****in sad, I gave up on this team a couple months ago. Renteria isn't worth a **** either.

JackB
08-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Come on now guys. Yes they have been playing like a little league team. The pitching has stunk up the place. But you cn't be Tigers fans and just quit. You'll always be fans. You have the right to vent. But its a marriage that will last a lifetime. Trust me. I have been through many many lein seasons. Just hang it there.

smarkow
08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Ok, before i say my main point, pitchers blew this game. the farnsworth trade has obviously not worked out to date. three games, three HR's, all big ones. Zumaya giving up 4 in the 14th,i mean, come on. We need a closer! a real closer! get Huston Street! get f-ing anyone.

OK...lets move on to my main point. In the 14th inning, our SS, Edgar Renteria, gave up an error allowing a run to score. Why is he still playing in this situation? Why isnt Santiago playing SS for better defense? That just doesnt make sense to me one bit. Numerous times we've had Thames in LF and then have someone replace him for better defense at the end of games. I don't see how that hasnt happened often with Renteria?

Like i said, Pitchers lost this game.

stanpapi
08-06-2008, 09:32 AM
The Renteria-Santiago situation is part of a bigger problem. Renteria can't field, can't hit, but he's making $13-million so he plays. Santiago (albeit in much fewer ABs) is hitting well over .300, and is probably the best fielding SS going. At some point, it would have made sense to see what Santiago can do. But if Santiago -- at his half-million salary -- can do the job better, it makes everyone look bad. So they just keep sending out Renteria... and Sheffield... It's the oldest story in the world. GMs and coaches will go to the greatest lengths to deny their mistakes. I'm mean, it's one thing to make a mistake like this, quite another to keep a guy down while denying it. I hate this. For the love of Mike, please just insert the guy who's hot into the line-up. Just do it.

JMDTM
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Tigers just piss me off....I mean how many games are they gonna go into extra innings!!!!!!!!!!

scottie
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
todd jones looks great right now.

Zoomlander
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I wont ever change my favorite team.........and i will always have a belief in them, until they are officially Eliminated!..........we had so many expectations, that it is just sad at this point we are under .500...........this is making Detroit look so bad.

Bondomania
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
as much as the bullpen blew the game.. the game is more or less Renteria's fault.. if he fields that ball then there is a runner on 3rd with 2 outs.. Zoom went on to strikeout Thome, which would have been the 3rd out of the game.. therefore we win... instead, Zoom strikesout Thome and there is only 2 outs.. therefore giving them an extra out.. however, that being said Zoom needs to get that 3rd out and he needed to pick up his teammates.. poor defense, poor bullpen.. season over...

Fury
08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
u turned away from what made u a successful club..ur pitching wuz what seperated u from everybody but now not so much..put way to much pressure on that lineup winning games

zzConflict
08-06-2008, 02:00 PM
If we don't get a big pitching pick-up over the offseason, I don't know if I'll be able to stay a tigers fan.
Go you! What a great fan.

Sheffies Chef
08-06-2008, 02:40 PM

i don't think you'll be a tigers fan next year than.

I highly doubt there will be a "big pitching pick-up" in the offseason.

PistonsFan14
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Lets get this oput there...i am, always was, and will always be a tigers fan for my entire life. But this is some Bull you know what. I had more fun watching this team in 03 when they lost 120 somthing games or what ever...this team plays with no passion......... there like a bunch of zombies....you never see guys getting excited...or even pissed off... somtimes i think they just dont care...then again i wouldnt if i had the income they had...

Are you kidding me? did we just resign robertson like 3 or 5 years 19 million or somthing too? I could pitch better then him and i would damn sure make the game entertaining not only does he suck...hes boring as hell to watch!!!!!!!!!!

PistonsFan14
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Also i think these guys were to layed back in spring training... i meen everyone on that team just about is a laid back type of guy...and thats fine but they need some fire... they have no passion

mark1125
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I think it's time to put this year to a close and just focus on getting better next year. It's pretty obvious that we're not making the playoffs, with such pitching like this.

Easy to be a bandwagon fan. When they do turn it around (whenever that may be), you can just stay gone.

~Troy
08-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Easy to be a bandwagon fan. When they do turn it around (whenever that may be), you can just stay gone.

lol bandwagon fan huh? I've been a Tigers fan all of my life, you or anyone here who criticized me for that statement don't know what kind of fan I am. :rolleyes:

I was there through the very bad years, and they finally get a good team together then break it up like nothing happened. So you know what, I'm sorry for being a little angry at the organization, from now on I'll just be happy to watch my team lose every close important game they play.

Sheffies Chef
08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
that's all fine and dandy troy, but saying that you might not be able to be a tigers fan much longer if they don't sign someone, is kind of a stupid comment if you've been with this team for so long (or your whole life, idk how old you are). you can be mad at the team, orginization, management, etc, etc, but to say you've been a tigs fan for your whole life, you've been through the bad years, and then say that you may not be a fan of them anymore just because of one... it's really not a bad season, just an unfortunate season given all of the expectations. Look at the indians... they didn't have the 1000 run expectation, but they were supposed to win the division by some writers. Look at them, behind the Royals in last place. you think we've got it bad, the tribe have it a lot worse. at least we are technically still in contention. they've already started rebuilding.

Sheffies Chef
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM

Don't you see how stupid and "bandwagony" that sounds bro???

A real tigers fan like myself knows that this is PROBABLY a season that isn't going to lead anywhere productive. but they also know that this team is still built to win and can next year do great with the emmergence of MC24 (the nickname i'm christening Miguel Cabrera) as a legit threat. they also know that this was verlanders first year as the rotation's "ace". he is 25, and has never had to be the go to guy in his career. look for him to rebound nicely next year. Galarraga is the real deal and he will help this team for years to come IMO.

are you getting it??? a bandwagon fan looks at the negatives only during a bad stretch, a true fan looks at the positives during that bad stretch while knowing that tomorrow is another day.

from your comment bolded, it looks like you my friend, are a sore (not bandwagon if you've stuck with them for years) fan.

JackB
08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Yup. Just like a marriage. Through thick and thin. The good and the bad. Every team goes through it. Until 2004 how would you have liked to be a Red Sox fan? So close yet so far. I have been lucky enough to see two WS championships. We'll see another one very soon. Think about it. there are 30 teams in baseball and only ONE wins it all. Does it matter if they finish second? Or even make it to the WS and don't win like a couple of years ago?
We were the team to beat. And the Cardinals were lucky to be a wildcard.
Be patient. Don't go off half cocked.Its going to happen. This year? Maybe. Still time. But last I looked they were trailing the White Sox 3-0 . If we don't win tonight we have to get the 4th game on Thursday.

stanpapi
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Say what you want about the guy who's threatening to jump ship, but I agree with him on one thing. The 03 team was in fact more exciting. This year's model might be the most boring millionaires ever assembled. The guy's right. No one gets mad, no one crashes the catcher, no one gets terribly excited about anything, other than a walk-off HR. This is a boring team. You think I'm going to block off my sked to catch Nate's next start? The stadium's about two miles from here, but you think I'm going to plunk money down to see Sheff or Renteria play? The fact that certain guys are still being played -- it's not even honest. I'm not jumping ship, but I'm certainly not handing over my money just now. And that's what a good fan does. You want to protest, don't give 'em your dough. And I deeply protest the current line-up card. This is BS. You don't continue to reward shite. You simply insert another guy.

Bondomania
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I still think that the tigers NEED to sign one of the top pitchers available, Verlander needs a true "ace" mentor, Kenny was never an Ace here, and the only other ace that was here while verlander has been up here has been Jeremy Bonderman... and we all know his story... I am not completely sold on Galarraga.. i want to see him repeat this next year, he doesn't have to long-term track record of doing this... not saying he can't, but i just want to see him do it again before i am completely sold on him...

i do agree with you stan about the lineup card.. Leyland went on that rant after getting swept by the Rays and said changes would be coming, and he was supposed to meet with his struggling players and blah blah blah.. nothing happened from those... our struggling players are still struggling... we are 1 and 6 since dealing pudge, and our BP looks worse than ever.... what i would give to have taken the prospect package from either the marlins or the yankees, opposed to taking Farnsworth who is absolute garbage

stanpapi
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Bondo, everybody needs pitching. That's why they call it pitching, and yes, the Tigers can certainly use more. And yes, again, it's a big deal. But man, they have no character. As for the prospect package, that's exactly what Dave should have taken. Instead, he got a guy who probably won't sign here, who I don't want anyway. I'm not even suggesting we should have received more value, just that it shouldn't have been a rent-a-player. It makes no sense. I mean, if it's just about dumping Pudge's salary, that give him away.

mark1125
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I wish we knew who Florida offered up.

JackB
08-08-2008, 07:46 AM
That was a HUGE win last night. I think its a win that gets the Tigers rolling.
A loss would have meant a four game sweep. But they fought hard and in stead of losing four games in the loss column its only two. Now they come home.

Bondomania
08-08-2008, 11:24 AM
it was only a 3 game series jack

i am still skeptical, they are going to have to really show me something, i mean yeah i am going to root for the them and all that, but lately i have been just watching, not allowing them to ruin my night when they blow a 4 run lead.. it almost became expected to me, which in its own is frustrating..

as far as Florida, apparently we demanded their closer in waiting, Lindstrom or whatever his name is.. i know that was just one guy.. my buddy works for 97.1 the ticket as an intern and he overheard that it was a 3 or 4 prospect package, but i am not sure it was anything spectacular.. bunch of mid-level, mid-ceiling prospects.. although prospects are tricky and some can over-achieve or some can push past their original projections

Bondomania
08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
on a side note.. i think it would have been funny if we made the trade with Florida and ended up getting Andrew Miller back.. haha, that would have been awkward.. DD, "so andrew, we said you were untouchable in the past... we kinda lied, but we swear.. this time you are untouchable"

PistonsFan14
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
StanPAPI-I think you got me and that loser who wants to jump ships confused....i will never jump ships...but u agreed with me about the 03 team. And yes we both agree on all that....This team has 0 Emotion

scottie
08-08-2008, 07:17 PM
For all you homers who go off on someone (TROY)who is fed up with our tigers, you need to get a life and realize if someone is fed up with the shanangins here, they can root for someone else. It doesn't make the guy a bandwagon jumper in any way shape of form. Most of us have storng oppinions and never acknowledge when your wrong. I believe if we had more fans like Troy who state they're jumping ship and then do, we would have a better team and as you guys would agree, a better fan base. Don't jump the guy because of what he believes.

JackB
08-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah thanks for correcting me. It was a three game series. I guess I got caught up in the 6 game losing streak.
They needed a win tonight. That was a tough loss. The W/sox are beating the Red Sox 3-0. Still plenty of time.But things need to start changing soon.
I will still watch and stay a Tiger fan no matter what happens. I can see it would be easy to stop watching or paying attention to any team with all the other things that can fill the void.
You see we didn't have the computer. VH1, MTV,MP3 or cell phones when I was young. That was so so so long ago . We lived for baseball and other sports . Thats all we did. I wouldn't have it any other way.I believe I appreciate baseball a little more then some of its younger fans.
I'm not saying that against any of you just to set the record straight. I'm saying this because of what I read on this and other forums I visit.
Todays fans are to easily discouraged. They have no patience because they can go of and do a hundred other things that can take up time
.Many think because the players make so much money they should be perfect. Well they are also human. They have issues just like us . Many have families and they have problems they can't help deal with becuase they aren't at home. They get sick and drunk just like us.They have days they don't want to go to work too. Have you ever worked with somebody you didn't like? Well they do too.Except they just about live with them for 6 months a year.
Sorry to go off. But just wanted to say a few things I have wanted to say.
Be frustrated with the way the team is playing. Be dissappointed. But don't stop watching or listening .Being a fan isn't just about climbing on board when they win. Its about staying on board when they lose.Continue to be a Tiger fan or whatever team you cheer for. I know I will always be a Tiger fan.

DetTigers
08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
But just wanted to say a few things I have wanted to say.
Be frustrated with the way the team is playing. Be dissappointed. But don't stop watching or listening .Being a fan isn't just about clinbing on board when they win. Its about staying on board when they lose.Continue to be a Tiger fan or whatever team you cheer for. I know I will always be a Tiger fan. That is very very true im only 17 and have been a Tigers fan my whole life and have never seen a world series from them yet I watched all the difficult years since I have been growing up I am still very excited for our future and that they will have many good teams for years to come.

DamusFucious777
08-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Those that threaten to walk away from the Tigers due to subpar play - are not true Tigers fans.

Their ultimatum is the definition for 'BANDWAGON FAN'

There's really nothing wrong with carrying a Bandwagon Member Subscription. All Tigers messageboards do appreciate (bandwagon) imput here.

Next time you want to depart or stage a comeback -- just leave or comeback without an announcement. All that other stuff about making everyone here aware of it -- well that's not really necessary.

-----------
Triple Se7en

stanpapi
08-09-2008, 12:13 AM
...I'm just not giving them my dough until the guys who deserve to play, actually play. If they want to keep trotting out Sheff and Renteria, I am not paying to see that.

Bondomania
08-09-2008, 02:57 AM
yea, i still watch the games and root for them.. i just expect the worst when i watch them because they have shown me that they can snatch defeat away from the jaws of victory on just about every given night.. this is the third slump of the season.. one or two is usually fine and teams can overcome that.. but Wade Lamont said in an interview a little while ago that they have to avoid anymore slumps to get into contention..

mark1125
08-09-2008, 08:32 AM
...I'm just not giving them my dough until the guys who deserve to play, actually play. If they want to keep trotting out Sheff and Renteria, I am not paying to see that.

And I agree with that Stan. The Tigers will always be my team. As you said though, I am disappointed with the makeup and performance of many of the players and management. There is nothing wrong with that. As a fan, I usually go to about 6-8 games a year. Not the cheap seats either. I may not be as eager to do so until they mae some changes. I am still a fan. They could lose 100 and if someone askes who my favorite team is, I will say the Detroit Tigers.

stanpapi
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I actually went to more games than year than this year.

scottie
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Those that threaten to walk away from the Tigers due to subpar play - are not true Tigers fans.

Their ultimatum is the definition for 'BANDWAGON FAN'

There's really nothing wrong with carrying a Bandwagon Member Subscription. All Tigers messageboards do appreciate (bandwagon) imput here.

Next time you want to depart or stage a comeback -- just leave or comeback without an announcement. All that other stuff about making everyone here aware of it -- well that's not really necessary.

-----------
Triple Se7en

What are you talking about weird boy! A bandwagon fan is someone who either jumps on when we are winning or playing really well! We are doing neither. Or a Bandwagon fan is someone who jumps off after getting on the bandwagon. there is no bandwagon for the tigers, face it we've created no bandwagon for anyone to jump on to or off of. FOR EVERONE HERE!

JackB
08-09-2008, 12:40 PM
:confused:

~Troy
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
That is very very true im only 17 and have been a Tigers fan my whole life and have never seen a world series from them yet I watched all the difficult years since I have been growing up I am still very excited for our future and that they will have many good teams for years to come.

I'm only 18 as well so when I started really being a fan of the tigers was when they were horrible, I've never seen this team win a World Series, I'll never the leave the Tigers as a fan, that was a stupid comment and I apologize.

Honestly I didn't think everyone would make such a BIG deal about.....so everyone that is calling me a bandwagon fan and telling me why i can't say that can get off of their soapbox and get back to the real topic at hand.

JackB
08-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I think there be only one person making it more then it should be. Thats not me. I know its easy to say I'm done with a team because they aren't winning. All I am trying to do is say a few words to help those that may be having a tough time with the Tigers not living up to preseason exspectations.

scottie
08-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm only 18 as well so when I started really being a fan of the tigers was when they were horrible, I've never seen this team win a World Series, I'll never the leave the Tigers as a fan, that was a stupid comment and I apologize.

Honestly I didn't think everyone would make such a BIG deal about.....so everyone that is calling me a bandwagon fan and telling me why i can't say that can get off of their soapbox and get back to the real topic at hand.

Troy
these fools are hype on here, they smell blood and then they attack. Most of them just make bad statements, and then it blows up in there faces. They'll be making a good point then destory it with something really silly. Just keep posting and don't let them get to you.

JackB
08-09-2008, 06:53 PM
:smoking:

scottie
08-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I can't believe how wrong everyone on this form was about Todd Jones. We need him back closing games. I wish it was different but it isnt. Look at the tigers factual stats before he was demoted then placed in IR, and look at this team now. we need Jones back or a huge trade. The playoffs are a long way away right now.

scottie
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
:smoking:

Please post something of substance, not silly pictures. I bet you have some crayons at home for you grandkids you could use.

~Troy
08-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I can't believe how wrong everyone on this form was about Todd Jones. We need him back closing games. I wish it was different but it isnt. Look at the tigers factual stats before he was demoted then placed in IR, and look at this team now. we need Jones back or a huge trade. The playoffs are a long way away right now.

How about we give Seay a chance, he has done real well lately and got us out of the jam with the bases load with 2 outs.

I'm sorry but to make a trade right now isn't a good idea because we would be desperate and end up giving more than we should. We should just cut out loses and start working on getting the World Series next year.

scottie
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
How about we give Seay a chance, he has done real well lately and got us out of the jam with the bases load with 2 outs.

I'm sorry but to make a trade right now isn't a good idea because we would be desperate and end up giving more than we should. We should just cut out loses and start working on getting the World Series next year.

If you've been watching Seay lately, he has been good, but he also has benefited from large, large strike zones from the ump. He is tricky, but he's not a big time closer. If he was he would of already had a shot at closing.

Bondomania
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
how were we wrong about Jones?? look at his last 10 appearances prior to the the demotion.. he was getting hit at an alarming rate, people were finding the gaps, and occassionally the seats on Jones.. he needed a mental break, i would be surprised to see Jones close a game in detroit again.. this season is all but done (unless we go on some ridiculous roll), it is time to find out what we have going into the future, and seeing if we have any players that can fill the closers role, once we allow them to settle in.. I would like to see Zoom get consistant chances to close.. i hate this jim leyland ******** of "Zoom is the closer at this point" or "rodney is my closer" but then they have one rough outting or two in rodney's case and then they are yanked from that spot... allow the guys to settle in and bounce back, instead of just yanking them.. we will never know what these kids are made of if we don't allow them to get a bounce back inning and see if they can come back from a rough outting..

scottie
08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
how were we wrong about Jones?? look at his last 10 appearances prior to the the demotion.. he was getting hit at an alarming rate, people were finding the gaps, and occassionally the seats on Jones.. he needed a mental break, i would be surprised to see Jones close a game in detroit again.. this season is all but done (unless we go on some ridiculous roll), it is time to find out what we have going into the future, and seeing if we have any players that can fill the closers role, once we allow them to settle in.. I would like to see Zoom get consistant chances to close.. i hate this jim leyland ******** of "Zoom is the closer at this point" or "rodney is my closer" but then they have one rough outting or two in rodney's case and then they are yanked from that spot... allow the guys to settle in and bounce back, instead of just yanking them.. we will never know what these kids are made of if we don't allow them to get a bounce back inning and see if they can come back from a rough outting..

Ahhh for starters saying the guy sucked and then continuing on stating Zoom, Rodney, and Dolsi, would be better and since you guys made those statments those guys have been getting rocked, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, worse then Jones ever had!

Zoomlander
08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Scottie

start a Todd Jones Fan club!..............let me know how it goes

Zoomlander
08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Wilkin Ramirez hits another homerun....future looking bright for left field?

DetTigers
08-10-2008, 11:55 PM
He's only 22 which is good too and can steal bases he will be with the tigers before long id like to see him get a call up in September

scottie
08-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Scottie

start a Todd Jones Fan club!..............let me know how it goes

More than likely, it will probably go pretty well, I mean the guy only has 300+ saves. Someone has to like the guy.

scottie
08-11-2008, 12:06 AM
He's only 22 which is good too and can steal bases he will be with the tigers before long id like to see him get a call up in September

Trade the guy and get a lights out closer.

Bondomania
08-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't like Dolsi as a closer.. i would like to see Rodney or Zoom get consistant chances to save, instead of this rotating door of closers.. let someone get comfortable in that role, instead just constantly shifting closers.. it is ********.. and Jones gets hit EVERY time he takes the mound. Where as sometimes Zoom gets hit.. sometimes he doesn't.. same thing with Rodney.. also i beg to differ that they have gotten hit way worse than Jones ever had.. Jones blew a 4 run lead last summer in a clutch game in Cleveland.. Zoom and Rodney have NEVER blown a 4 run lead, nor do i think they have that capability.. any respectable closer would have closed that game.. Jones had to have been trying to blow that game, because that is the only way you give up 4 in the bottom of the 9th

scottie
08-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't like Dolsi as a closer.. i would like to see Rodney or Zoom get consistant chances to save, instead of this rotating door of closers.. let someone get comfortable in that role, instead just constantly shifting closers.. it is ********.. and Jones gets hit EVERY time he takes the mound. Where as sometimes Zoom gets hit.. sometimes he doesn't.. same thing with Rodney.. also i beg to differ that they have gotten hit way worse than Jones ever had.. Jones blew a 4 run lead last summer in a clutch game in Cleveland.. Zoom and Rodney have NEVER blown a 4 run lead, nor do i think they have that capability.. any respectable closer would have closed that game.. Jones had to have been trying to blow that game, because that is the only way you give up 4 in the bottom of the 9th

That is GARBAGE! I get the point you dont like Jones, but dont bring that crap "Jones had to have been trying to blow that game" thats bush league.

Bondomania
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
you're bush league! I am not saying he was trying to.. i am just trying to make the point that no respectable closer blows a 4 run lead in the regular season.

stanpapi
08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Jones is done here. Putting him back in at closer is futile. He's not coming back next year. Given that we are playing for next year, using him in that role just sucks experience from someone else who might be able to do the job. Just go closer by committee for the rest of the year, see if anyone can handle it.

smarkow
08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I think at this point, it doesnt really matter unless we can get to a point in which we actually need a closer.
That game in cleveland last year that Bondo is referring to is still on my mind. I remember being at the movie theater and turning off my phone after we took a 4 run lead. after the movie, i checked and saw that we lost. I couldnt believe it.
We need to have games like that against opposing pitchers.

JackB
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
With the lineup the Tigers have they shouldn't have to worry about getting to our closer.But it just hasn't worked out. I agree with the closer by committee until somebody finally takes hold and doesn't let go. Every pitcher is going to get hit. Even the best closers have bad days. But until somebody runs off 5-6 straight effect saves go with what works. I'm not talking about 1 hitter saves.Yes those count too but you can't really judge the qauilty of the save with a 1-2-3 pitch out for the save.Unless of course they are 3 strikes in a row for the K.That would rank up there as a quailty save.

theoldgoalie
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
We tinkered too much with everything, and in my opinion, getting rid of Pudge was a HUGE mistake. Inge is the best 3B on the team (defensively) and Sheffield (regardless of what he thinks of himself) is done! Losing Bonderman was a HUGE blow and signing Rogers and keeping Jones at closer were awful moves.

Guillen has truly become a one dimensional player, he is decent at third, but not as good as Inge and he has no range for a shortstop. I'd like to see us go the rest of the way with what we know will work. if I had it my way, the line up/defense would look like this:

Granderson CF
Polanco 2B
Guillen DH
Ordonez RF
Cabrera 1B
Joyce LF
Inge 3B
Santiago SS
Sardinha C

Let Sardinha play a lot of catcher and play Inge at 3B more (then find us a starting catcher....Again!). Guillen can spell Inge at 3B, but mainly take over DH duties. Thames is good, but Joyce is the future in LF, so give him the job!

Making our team better going into 2008 was an easy task and we flat out blew it! We didn't need Renteria, but we gave up Jurgens and Hernandez to get him. We could have used Jurgens this year and Hernandez MIGHT have gotten some Major league experience in the beginning of the season when Granderson went down. Leyland has proven this season that he is no judge for pitching talent, just look at his recent comments about Galarraga! Jimmy honestly thought that Rogers was a necessary piece of the puzzle for this season.....BAH!

Papi....You nailed it on the head back in March, we didn't need to go outside of the clubhouse for a SS, we had one all along and he fits into our scheme perfectly.....Santiago isn't outstanding, but he is more than sufficient.

stanpapi
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I think the tinkering that took the toll started before Pudge was traded. And I don't think getting rid of him was a mistake, just that we gave him away for something I didn't want. But yeah, too many bad deals -- way too many. And Santiago, while not outstanding, is an outstanding fielder. I still can't believe we're going with Renteria. I mostly like your line-up the rest of the way, Goalie, but would just add that it's time to just let everybody play and make an early training camp of it. It's time to just give everybody their shot. And yeah, give Sardinha his time in the sun and go shopping for a catcher for next year. Mostly, if a guy doesn't fit into next year's plans, shop him, buy him out, or send him home. Let the people who might actually play for you next year, play. So there's that, plus I'd like to see someone fired. I don't know who you blame, DD or Jim. I blame 'em both and find a way to bring back Gibson. Like, I don't want the 84 squad having any reunions. I'd just like to see Gibson run things. In a Gibson clubhouse, I don't think you'd see Sheffield running off about playing time.

chetlemon
08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Amen Papi. I like JL but his best days are over. Give Gibby a chance and see if he doesn't blow up on a player not giving it his all. Sheff couldn't say a damn word to Gibby, cuz Gibby would probably fight him right there. We need someone who expects vets to play like vets and take it like a man when they aren't. Gibby and Tram never got the chance to do what they needed to do. I liked it when they were around.

JackB
08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet. Still a long way to go. We just need to take care of business and get a little help along the way.
I also agree the Pudge trade wasn't the make or break deal for the season. The team hasn't jelled.We've had some bad luck with injuries. Injuries are part of the game. Now Thames is hurt. Bonderman was huge.A couple of weeks without Ordonez but that was around the ASB. Verlanders slow start and Rogers turning old right before our eyes didn't help.I'm hoping he can reach back and find a bunch more quality starts before he goes out to pasture. Robertson cameback last night pretty well. Now if we can get about 8-10 more starts like that from him. I think we can make a good run.
Yes I'm on my knees begging. But until they officially say we are out it .We are on a 2 game winning streak. We can only take the one at a time. I still have hope.

scottie
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Amen Papi. I like JL but his best days are over. Give Gibby a chance and see if he doesn't blow up on a player not giving it his all. Sheff couldn't say a damn word to Gibby, cuz Gibby would probably fight him right there. We need someone who expects vets to play like vets and take it like a man when they aren't. Gibby and Tram never got the chance to do what they needed to do. I liked it when they were around.

Shef would beat gibson's ***. He had a shot in detroit to coach, That went well.

stanpapi
08-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I think he did just fine, by the way, coaching here. And that Gibson helped mold a great deal of the 2006 team. Much of which was a team coming to fruition, as much as it may have been Leyland. Besides, Gibson's team went to the playoffs last year, and a lot of the D-backs sang his praises. Tell you what though, I'll take the 2005 Tigers over this current lot. Anyway, I'm not saying he's the only answer, but a Gibson team won't be boring, and this 2008 team is as boring as it is bad.

scottie
08-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I think he did just fine, by the way, coaching here. And that Gibson helped mold a great deal of the 2006 team. Much of which was a team coming to fruition, as much as it may have been Leyland. Besides, Gibson's team went to the playoffs last year, and a lot of the D-backs sang his praises. Tell you what though, I'll take the 2005 Tigers over this current lot. Anyway, I'm not saying he's the only answer, but a Gibson team won't be boring, and this 2008 team is as boring as it is bad.

YEP, THEY'VE STUNK AT TIMES. I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE GIBSON WAS A GOOD COACH. i did not know his team made the playoffs though. imo i would have thought if gibson was so good then we would of kept him.

garnotm
08-12-2008, 02:58 AM
managers tend to bring their staffs in with them, so Jim probably already had someone in mind to take gibby's spot. Its not so much of a hey this gibson sucked rather Jim wanted someone else.

NYR!!!!
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
i just want to say to all u tiger fans out there that your "stud" pitcher verlander SUCKS.

chetlemon
08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
All I am saying is that Gibby wouldn't tolerate a lot of what JL does. We need him back as a bench coach for sure. And ofcourse Sheff would kick his A##. But it wasn't a literal sence of fight I was referring to. I am saying Gibby wouldn't be hearing this bs from Sheff right now. Every manager eventually leaves town. In Gibby's case, it was a change of staff, not because he was bad or got ran out of town.

Bondomania
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
i just want to say to all u tiger fans out there that your "stud" pitcher verlander SUCKS.

well that seems like a well thought out comment...

DetTigers
08-12-2008, 01:43 PM

haha you think your such a funny guy dont you....how about you take a long look at whoever your team is guy