PDA

View Full Version : Article: Vince Carter Ready to Step Up His Game in 2008-09

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Source: Bleacherreport (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/43543-vince-carter-ready-to-step-up-his-game-in-2008-09)

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0066/2559/78978075_magic_v_nets_article.jpg

Last season, Vince Carter received a lot of criticism.
He played on a bum ankle, regressed defensively, and just looked like he didn't care about the struggles of the Nets.

Another one of the Carter's critics was the great Magic Johnson. During a TNT halftime show, Magic said that Vince Carter had gone from a superstar to a regular player.
Carter was not selected to the All-Star game for the first time in seven seasons.

Vince was one of three players in the league to average 20 points, grab five boards, and dish out five dimes. The other two? LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

Thoughts!!!

LakerzDQ
08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
20 points, 5 boards, 5 rebounds.
people think he dropped to the gutters, but he still is a star.

BADizzleBoY
08-06-2008, 12:42 AM
no, he dropped to the gutters, nice knowing ya vince, you WERE great.

lakers4sho
08-06-2008, 12:54 AM
He's better off as a complimentary piece. Trade him to Minnesota for expiring contracts (they've got a lot) for the 2010 bid for LeBron. It works out for both teams. Al Jefferson + Vince Carter is a pretty good combination IMO.

Jay22Redd
08-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Let's go Vince!!!!!!!!

Joshtd1
08-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Maybe its his shot selection. Every time I see him play, I always see him pretty much settle for jumpers, instead of attacking the paint.

_Sn1P3r_
08-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Maybe its his shot selection. Every time I see him play, I always see him pretty much settle for jumpers, instead of attacking the paint.

I agree. He could easily put up points when he tries and gives it his all.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-06-2008, 01:07 AM
He's gonna step his game up NOW...? I don't understand. Why didn't he step his game his first year with the Nets?

Bg7getclutch
08-06-2008, 01:11 AM
please...Bulls get him!

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-06-2008, 01:23 AM
hopefully

BH-Sports
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
When VC first came to the ling, i thought he was going to be one of the elite.

Since his departure from Toronto, he looks Lazy and jaded. His shot selections are horrible.. Fadeaway and long jumpshots. Plus hes not the greatest passer in the world.

I admired him for his dunks but if he doesnt step it up this year, he is going fall drastically

Bg7getclutch
08-06-2008, 01:43 AM
just cause he left toronto your hating on him?

YankeeFan89
08-06-2008, 01:52 AM
will see

RocketPowered
08-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Why does my boy Mac get no love when he is also one of the 20 pt 5 reb 5 assist type players. They choose to forget that MAC is in that club.....:eyebrow:

For reference read the article and find out...and look at the MAC STATS

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tracy_mcgrady/index.html

#1Mavericksfan
08-06-2008, 02:18 AM
I think he should just let his game do the talking

Sharkaac
08-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Enough said... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPhbHMaf7k

SwaggaIke
08-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Watch Vince redeem himself like Miami's own.

Chronz
08-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Why does my boy Mac get no love when he is also one of the 20 pt 5 reb 5 assist type players. They choose to forget that MAC is in that club.....:eyebrow:

They meant to say 6 Rebounds and 5 Assists

DaddyCool
08-06-2008, 03:26 AM
He's over the hill. Best days are over. Nice knowing ya

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
He's gonna step his game up NOW...? I don't understand. Why didn't he step his game his first year with the Nets?

He averaged 30/7/5 and 28/6/5 in the playoffs.

Chronz
08-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Vince's first half stint in New Jersey was simply amazing, he was basically the best player in the game during that 2nd half run. Funny how he never played with that intensity ever again. Wait did I say funny I meant :mad::(:confused:

RapsFan4Life
08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
for some players with certian skill sets 20-5-5 is great and the best they can do ... but for an all star like VC whos skill set and athletisism reach far beyond any other player ... he has the potential to be the 28-7-6 guy ... and people are disapointed a guy who can be f**king amazing is just settling for .. pretty darn good

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
he just lost the will to drive to the basket he just shoots all the dam time!

torontosports10
08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Enough said... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcTHP2K1ZWY

ENOUGH SAID!!

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I wonder how good would he have been if he gave 100% every game...?

daleja424
08-06-2008, 10:26 AM
If stepping up was as easy as saying "I am going to step up" then I'd be an all-star in the NBA right now. Some guys just dont got it...and VC is one of them...

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Vince's first half stint in New Jersey was simply amazing, he was basically the best player in the game during that 2nd half run.

The 1st statement contradicts the 2nd.

SHONIE
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I think he meant his 1st 1/2yr stint with the nets, which was the 2nd half of the year, was amazing

Mile High Champ
08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Carter doesnt know how to pick up his game, he knows how to coast and pick the plays he actually tries hard on. What a joke. Carter never will step up his game.. Just no motivation in my mind.

ink
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Carter doesnt know how to pick up his game, he knows how to coast and pick the plays he actually tries hard on. What a joke. Carter never will step up his game.. Just no motivation in my mind.

I agree. Saying he'll step up at this point in his career just sounds like the kind of thing anyone trying to break a bad habit says. I'll believe it when I see it last for a few seasons.

CB4AB7VC15
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
If vince had AI's heart hed be the best player in the league and one of the greatest of all time.

GCOOKIE7
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
classic old fat *** Vince. Maybe he will actually work out and try for once.

SportsFan1988
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
He needs to take over, plain and simple. Instead of looking to hit jump shots, he needs to take the ball to the rim, trying to draw fouls. He has always seemed to be most effective when he drives, at one point maybe even better then LeBron.

carter15
08-06-2008, 01:21 PM

what they meant to say is one of 3 players to get 20,6,5...which is only vc lebron and kobe

rapswin98
08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
why doesn't he come back to toronto to contend for a championship, rather than try hard on a rebuilding nets team

SwaggaIke
08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I'd love to see Vince back in Toronto and A.I back in Philly.

Chronz
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
The 1st statement contradicts the 2nd.
How?

Lakersfan2483
08-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Vince Carter would be great on a team that already has a Superstar, he's not a legit 1st option for a team.

Nets fan 93
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
at the end of the season when he was averaging 34 6 5 the last 6 games i knew he would step it up on a healthy ankle, now ith no more RJ, i think my prediction will become true

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Yea he would make a great complent to any other superstar .. but I think he still is capable of being a # 1 option on a good team. Before last season, which he played hurt, he was still putting numbers withing the top 5 in the NBA... I remember he had a 46 point 16 rebounds and 10 assist game against the wizards, when Jkiddd and him both had a triple double in the same game.. first to do it since jordan and pippen..... But anyone that can put 46pts 16 reb, and 10 assist in a single game is far from done.. I don't think any star wing in the NBa has had a line that ever in their career... I doublt kobe or lebron has done that,,, maybe they have but that is amazing

He did it with toronto.. He took them far and contended with them every year.. He had pretty much the same type of roster as lebron has now with the cavs. No supporting cast at all and still managed to compete...

You may so oo that was back .. then hes old.. not as good anymore.. but He carrid the nets as well for two years.. ALSt year he was battling injuries but he still mangaed to average 20 6 and 5.. and he played on the same team as a ball hog in RJ...
FIrst season he was on the nEts he was the best player in the game that secodn half like someone said.. He averaged like 35 pts a game for a two week span.. It was amazing.. He took that team from last place to a # 8 spot in the playoffs on the lst day of the season. They made it and had to play the soon to be hcamps in Miami. The biggest problem was that might have been the worst roster in PLayoff history.. Throughout the season the only player he had was Kidd.. and kidd was just coming off kneww surgery he wasnt even at his best.. carter carried that team...
He carried a team that had washed up lamond murray, jason collins, rookie Kristic in the lineup.. with jaque vaughn, ron mercer...cliff robinson, and a RJ coming off of surgery on rist which he was out of rliek a 2 months.. He played horrible he was still hurt...Wat he was capable of doing with that team was amazing...
The next season was also not a bad season at all.. It was the first time Carter, kidd, and RJ stayed healthy all year long.. but Rj got hurt again towards the end.. hurt his ankle , missed some time, and played hurt int he palyoffs... THey beat the pacers and eventually lost to the Heat again.. who went to the ECF... They had a pretty good team then as well

The next season they also dealt with injuries to kirsitc.. but carter still played really well.. and they got the 6th spot int he playoffs.. another all star year for vince.. they beat the atlantic champion raptors... but lost to the ECF cahmps in the cavs..

Last year was the first bad season vince has had at it wasnt even that bad of a personal year... He was hurt....

SO i mean he has been succesful with the nets and has carried him team further than players liek bosh, tmac, ai and carmelo ...

So i dont get why all the criticism comes from.. He can still carry a team and is a fine talent..a nd does have heart.. Just cause someone is hurt doesnt mean he doesnt have heart..

Where have the raptors been after he left? He carried them the furthest they have ever been.. after he left they havent been out of the 1st round of the playoffs.. He holds torontos record for most games started... most points scored in franchise history.. PLz dont give me that crap... He did a lot for every team he has played for.... Its not his fualt he has always played with like jason collins/ ron mercer, lamond murray, milt palacia, cliff robinson, washe dup oakley, olajawaun, antonie davis, mo pete,.....
They only player he has had the lusury of playing with was kIDd.. and that was on the down side of his career.. He had Rj as well but their style is too similar.. They clashed.

So why don't you look at the situation he has been in.. instead of judging him based on what lebron or kobe has done...

Even kobe needed the help of pau gasol, lamar odom, the development of bynum, vujajic, turiaf,, and phile jackson to make noise...

Even a # 1 option needs help.. and vince is capable of being a # 1 option...

I don't know of any # 1 option that has won without some help. jordan even needed scottie, and Kobe even needed shaq.. and pau.. ... wade had the help of shaq.. pierce kg and allen all ahd each other.. it took the celtics three stars to win..

Lebron is the only legit player that hasnt had help and has made noise... but he doesnt have a ring..
So your goign to be mad at Vince because hes not Lebron?

Look at Tmac he has yao?... hes hasnt done anything yet.. hes done less than vince.. Ai doesnt have a ring either.. hes playing with Melo right now...

Vince has never had the chance to play with a very good team... And u guys criticize him? for putting up 24 ppg,,, 6 reb.. 5 ast a game for his career ? PLEase.. any player capable of doing that is a 1 option

He is going to have a great year .. and if anyone saw the leadership and passion he played iwht lsat year after the team got traded.. knows what hes capable of doing.. Hes going to put up 25 5 5 at lest.. at that is awsume.. Only 3 other players int he game have done that as conssitently as vince has throughout his career.

sep11ie
08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
T-Mac averaged 20/5/5 last year too. What was Chris Pauls averages?

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
T-Mac averaged 20/5/5 last year too. What was Chris Pauls averages?

Dude it was said liek three times.. He meat to say 20 points a game/ 6 rebounds a game/ and 5 ast per game....
Tmac jsut missed out in the reoubnds...

Chris paul was at
24 ppg... 4.91 rebounds.. and 11.3 assists too.. he just missed out

See it does say a lot.. bUt yea the article ment to say 20/6/5

Tmac didnt do it.

SaimoNETS
08-06-2008, 05:33 PM
VInce will be a MVP candidate

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
VInce will be a MVP candidate

If he goes to the Bulls this year he will be.
:D

agnine
08-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Aside from having alright to crappy teams, Vince has also had various injuries to his LEGS!!!! Getting to the basket an dunking require speed and strength, both of which will go down if your knees and ankles are injured. But I guess trashing VC is just so popular right now, all the sheep are going to do it.

JIDsanity
08-06-2008, 05:59 PM
If he goes to the Bulls this year he will be.
:D

Why Chi.

JIDsanity
08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I can't wait to see VC Next season

AgentViet
08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
His word = worthless. :pity:

JordansBulls
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Why Chi.

Bulls could use him. They could trade the expiring contract of Hughes in 2010 and Ben Gordon if the Bulls decide not to negotiate. That gives the Nets 15-18 million in cap relief for 2010.

lakerfan1
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Vince is still a star. He just isnt a superstar anymore.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
He's better off as a complimentary piece. Trade him to Minnesota for expiring contracts (they've got a lot) for the 2010 bid for LeBron. It works out for both teams. Al Jefferson + Vince Carter is a pretty good combination IMO.

I think McHale has finally stopped taking bad contracts, and Vince is one of them. Mike Miller is not quite Vince, but Vince hasn't gone to the rim since 2001, so Miller will suffice at half the money. And they are still trying to develop McCants, Brewer, and Gomes. Jefferson is 23, patience is the key for the Wolves

Hawkeye15
08-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Enough said... lol

8 years ago, when he gave a crap. Nuff said

Hawkeye15
08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
for some players with certian skill sets 20-5-5 is great and the best they can do ... but for an all star like VC whos skill set and athletisism reach far beyond any other player ... he has the potential to be the 28-7-6 guy ... and people are disapointed a guy who can be f**king amazing is just settling for .. pretty darn good

exactly. Nobody doubts his ability, but as a fan of whatever team he is on, it drives them crazy knowing that this guy had the ability to be one of the greats, and just settled for scraping his way onto the all star team every year. I don't understand why when you can do what he does airborne, you don't attack the rim every time you have an opening

mikeyvee
08-06-2008, 10:28 PM
theyre going no where this season

mikeyvee
08-06-2008, 10:29 PM
i dont think its worth it

NYMetros
08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Vince is such a talented athlete. I've always thought his shot selection was poor. He should take it to the basket and get to the free throw line more often. That is where he thrives. He isn't a very good shooter, honestly. But he is one of the best slashers in the game.

DJ CHACH
08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
when "wince farter" leaves, he will go down as one of the greatest dunkers of the game, also one of the quitters of the game..but i guess it runs in the blood..he should take "brokeback mcgrady" with him, since they like to give up on thier teams

jetsfan89
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
:pity:

vince didnt drive to the basket consistently cause he played the entire year with a bad ankle. in the 4th game of the year he had a pretty serious ankle sprain against the celtics and never fully recovered. on that ankle injury, HE WAS DRIVING TO THE BASKET AND DUNKING.

Contrary to popular belief, VC does care, but his legs are not allowing him to drive consistently anymore.

Sharkaac
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcTHP2K1ZWY

ENOUGH SAID!!

lol

JIDsanity
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
What surprises me is the positive comments from LA Laker fans

$ NyC $
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
if VC played like every game was his last he could easily put up

31 ppg 7 rpg 6 aspg 1.4 bpg and 1.3 spg