PDA

View Full Version : The Official Lowrie / Lugo thread

sboyajian
08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Now I think it's pretty fair to think not many people will disagree that Lugo has been a disappointment, especially for the $$ he makes.

However, does anyone see any feasible way he can honestly go back to his position at SS? I know Tito has warned us all that Lowrie has never even played a full AAA season, but let's be completely blunt here.

This was Lugo's job to lose, and by all possible methods, he has lost it. There is just no comparing the level of play between Lugo over the past 2 seasons and Lowrie right now.

Lugo has played 82 games this season. He's batting .268/.355/.330 (81 OPS+). He has 22 RBI's, 13 doubles and no triples. This is a guy who depends on his speed.. and he hasn't legged out a triple?? Let's not forget the 16 errors he's committed.

Lowrie on the other hand has only played 33 games and he's seen a few positions (3B, SS, 2B) .. he has 0 errors at any of the 3 positions. He is also batting .293/.349/.413 (99 OPS+) -- Jed likes to take the cut at balls.. he doesn't K a lot, but he does make contact for the out a lot. his OPS suffers for lack of walks -- still better than lugo's. Beyond that, because of his overall better at bats.. he has only 4 less RBI's than Lugo in only 40% of the games, he's getting those hits when they matter most. 6 doubles and a triple, he's not lightning quick, but he's showing he can run the path.

I guess what I'm saying is.. if Lugo goes back to SS when he comes back.. I might have to hang myself..

(this does not take into account tonight in which Lowrie earned another triple and 2 more rbi's)

BTownTeamsRKing
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
i said to keep playing lowrie after his first stint in Boston.

lugo sucks. thats the truth. and Lowrie is a solid player. he gives u dependable defense along with cluth hitting.

JimmyMal450
08-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah Lowrie is definitly showing Lugo up right now. He's been on a tear the past few ganes, getting clutch hits and flashing the glove. He definitely deserves the starting job right now over Lugo. Plus he's more versetile and can play second and third along with short. And even though he's not supposed to be as fast as Lugo, he is sure looking like he is right now.

Crucis
08-06-2008, 12:25 AM
I agree that it really looks like the SS job should be Lowrie's. But what will the Sox do when Lugo comes off the DL? Well, if he doesn't come off the DL until September, there'll be room on the roster for Lowrie, Lugo, and Cora. But will Lugo get his starting job back?

And what about the playoff roster? Would Tito have the stones to leave Lugo off the playoff roster and give the starting job to Lowrie, if Jed keeps playing as well as he has? I'd hope so. As others above have pointed out, Lowrie has better numbers than Lugo both offensively and defensively.
Lowrie may not have the flashy range of some SS's, but he does seem to make plays on everything he does get to. And right now, I'll take that.

Also, I think that the offensive numbers aren't quite telling the entire story. Lowrie seems to have the ability to get the hits in key situations that drive in runs, whereas it seems that Lugo hasn't. BA, etc. aside, if the Sox were faced with a key AB with RISP, I'd feel much more comfortable with Lowrie in the batter's box than Lugo.

yaowowrocket11
08-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Lowrie has proven himself worthy for the starting SS job, and I am confident that the Sox will give it to him.

Lowrie = :superman:

Lugo = :crazy:

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 08:38 AM
I think the payroll flexibility brought about by Manny's departure means that we can deal with Lugo and his salary any way the Sox want: pay him to sit, pay him to play somewhere else, pay him to play here.

I won't be surprised to see the Sox reinstate Lugo around the 20th or 21st and send Lowrie back to PAW. That'll give the Sox time to see if Lugo's summer vacation has done him any good while still making Lowrie available at or near the 8/31 date that guarantees his availability for October. If Lugo plays well then my guess is that Lowrie eventually displaces Cora.

After this season I think Lowrie makes the club with a 2-year shot at starting. I think the kids coming behind him will start to press him after that.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Lowrie>Cora>lugo

thats wat i think of lugo. i never want to see him play for the Red Sox again. he gets replaced defensively and Offensively. wat good is he????

hes a total dead spot in the order who ground into many double plays and kills our chances of scoring.

Lowrie is clutch, confident, and overall BETTER.

my advice to julio, fake an injury and demand a trade after the season.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
If we can dump Lugo, between what he is owed and what we saved on Manny, we can afford CC. ;)

tc2deuce
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
If we can dump Lugo, between what he is owed and what we saved on Manny, we can afford CC. ;)

CC/Boston 09:clap:

BrooklynBalla20
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
i think its clear that lowrie has outplayed lowrie from what we've seen from him so far, but when lugo comes back, i'm afraid he'll be the starting SS again because the sox aren't going to want to pay a guy 9 million a year to sit on the bench.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
i think its clear that lowrie has outplayed lowrie from what we've seen from him so far, but when lugo comes back, i'm afraid he'll be the starting SS again because the sox aren't going to want to pay a guy 9 million a year to sit on the bench.

If it helps put them in the playoffs they will. They paid 7 million for the Dodges to take Manny.

Tankjeep
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
ugh, lugo sucks...that's the nicest thing you'll hear me say about him.

Wake's Fastball
08-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd normally advocate for Lugo coming back, but sboyajian hit on my exact thought process in the first post; the job has been Lugo's ever since he's been here, not even up for competition, and he's simply played himself out of it. If the team's still rolling or Lowrie is still hitting when Lugo's DL time is over, I'd expect Jed to be in the lineup as long as it's clear we've got something going there.

Crucis
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I won't be surprised to see the Sox reinstate Lugo around the 20th or 21st and send Lowrie back to PAW. That'll give the Sox time to see if Lugo's summer vacation has done him any good while still making Lowrie available at or near the 8/31 date that guarantees his availability for October.

Actually, wouldn't Lowrie need to be on the roster prior to September 1st to be eligible for the playoff roster? (I'm not counting the DL exceptions at this moment only because I'm not sure if there will be any of those that could be used.)

tc2deuce
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Oscar Tejeda is the future Sox SS!:nod:

RedSoxtober
08-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Actually, wouldn't Lowrie need to be on the roster prior to September 1st to be eligible for the playoff roster? (I'm not counting the DL exceptions at this moment only because I'm not sure if there will be any of those that could be used.)

Yes, that's why I suggested Lowrie would be optioned by August 21. By MLB rules he has to stay in the minors 10 days unless he's recalled to fill an injury. Down by 8/21 means he can return by 8/31 and be guaranteed a roster spot.

BRADY4MVP
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I've said it before....although lowrie is playing very well, i do think that they need to look at Furcal in free agency.

As was proven with Jacoby, just because a hitter comes up and has immediate success does not necessarily mean that it can be sustained over the a season right away. Don't get me wrong, I love Ellsbury and Lowrie and believe that they will be good players.

Ideally, I would like them to sign Furcal, and get rid of lugo+cora, leaving lowrie as the super utility guy who can spell lowell, furcal?, and pedroia.

Either way, I will be very happy as long as it isnt LUGO

tc2deuce
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I've said it before....although lowrie is playing very well, i do think that they need to look at Furcal in free agency.

As was proven with Jacoby, just because a hitter comes up and has immediate success does not necessarily mean that it can be sustained over the a season right away. Don't get me wrong, I love Ellsbury and Lowrie and believe that they will be good players.

Ideally, I would like them to sign Furcal, and get rid of lugo+cora, leaving lowrie as the super utility guy who can spell lowell, furcal?, and pedroia.

Either way, I will be very happy as long as it isnt LUGO

Furcal...would do awesome in Boston!

Snipeshow
08-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Lugo is just awful. Lowrie FTW!

WhyDuquette
08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
For some reason i dont like furcal either, idk why, he just scares me into being anouther one of those busts

I much rather save our money and have lowrie be our starting ss who puts good #'s in the 8-9 hole, who can deliver in clutch situations

save the money for the big bat in the middle or the front end rotation guy

TDbank24
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Lowrie has out performed Lugo already and Lugo has started more games for us. It's time for a change, Lugo played himself out of the job just like Crisp did

Osiagledknarf
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I'd hate to see Furcal on the Red Sox. He's 31 which is exactly around the time shortstops start their decline. Plus, he's been hurt all year and will be coming off back surgery, with no chance for the Sox to see how he's bounced back in game situations. He's making close to $16 million this year...he's going to want similar money. Lugo makes half of what Furcal makes and it's a nightmare. Plus you'd have to eat money just to move Lugo and make room for Furcal in the first place. A couple years back people were talking about moving Furcal to second out of concerns over his defense. He had 27 errors in 2006, and 19 last year. For all the griping about Lugo, and I've been griping too, it seems awfully odd to bring in a player of similar makeup for twice as much money.

Go with Lowrie, get what you can from Lugo until you can move him or the contract is up. Save your money in case something really outstanding presents itself in a year or two...or three.

Crucis
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Go with Lowrie, get what you can from Lugo until you can move him or the contract is up. Save your money in case something really outstanding presents itself in a year or two...or three.

I'm with you. Let's just stick with Lowrie.

I'm tired of the free agent SS merry-go-round. Let's stick with the home grown guy who's shown that he can get the job done. He may not be as flashy defensively as some, but he's making the plays on the balls he gets to. And at the plate, Jed seems more than capable of getting clutch hits, whereas Lugo always seems singlularly incapable of getting key hits.

Let's save our money to re-sign our own young players, rather than waste it on iffy older players. Let's remember that the formula that worked for the Yanks in the 90's was to largely stick with home grown talent, with a sprinkling of FA's. It was only after the Yanks started going crazy again for the overly expensive FA's that their long run of WS's ended. Let's not make the same mistake.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Oscar Tejeda shouldn't be valued too much, I think Michael Almanzar and Yamaico Navarro have a better upside to him in many ways, but things can change. I would dump Lugo as soon as possible. It's happened each of the last 3 years more or less. Lugo has won a ring, now time to move on.

sboyajian
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
There you have it.. Jed and Julio have the same # of RBI's.. it took Jed 35 games to do what it took Julio 82 to do.. he's so much more productive.. not only is he getting the hits, he's getting them when they count the most.

Crucis
08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
There you have it.. Jed and Julio have the same # of RBI's.. it took Jed 35 games to do what it took Julio 82 to do.. he's so much more productive.. not only is he getting the hits, he's getting them when they count the most.

It's hard to imagine any way to justify giving Lugo back the starting job when he comes back other than not wanting to sit a $9M SS on the bench.

Heck, one of the guys on the radio broadcast said that Lowrie was either #1 or #2 in RBI's for all (AL?) SS's since the all-star break. With production at the SS position like that, how can you justify anyone other than Lowrie playing SS?

I don't dislike Lugo, but he's simply been a disappointment from day 1. Lowrie's been outperforming Lugo in just about every way possible, and the Sox need to find a way to keep Jed at SS for the rest of the season.

Tankjeep
08-06-2008, 10:29 PM
15 ribbi's since the all star break, f lugo the puko. let's keep lowrie in the starting lineup. he's got clutch hitting which lugo doesn't. all lugo knows how to do is pose at the plate and hit into double plays.

RedSoxtober
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Jed Lowrie's two RBIs in the fifth inning give him 22 in 101 at-bats this season. That matches fellow shortstop Julio Lugo's production - which came in 261 at-bats before he was placed on the disabled list
Source: Boston Globe

Shaiza
08-07-2008, 09:45 AM

hahaha

Crucis
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
15 ribbi's since the all star break, f lugo the puko. let's keep lowrie in the starting lineup. he's got clutch hitting which lugo doesn't. all lugo knows how to do is pose at the plate and hit into double plays.

That's a huge difference between Lowrie and Lugo. Lowrie gets some clutch hits, Lugo doesn't. IIRC, right now, there's not all that much difference between their BA's. But Lowrie seems able to make those hits be productive, while Lugo doesn't.

sboyajian
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Let’s get right to the point: In 307 plate appearances this season, Julio Lugo [stats] has 22 RBI. Jed Lowrie matched that last night with a two-run double in the fifth inning of the Sox’ 8-2 win over the Royals.

And he’s been starting for about three weeks.

Source: Boston Herald -- Full Story (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_08_07_Jed_Lowrie_no_short_story:_Might_be_lon g-term_answer_for_Red_Sox/srvc=sox&position=3)

They are not being gentle right now.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Get some reliever for Lugo, trade him to the Nationals at 2B. Get Saul Rivera, or someone. Lugo needs to be gone (btw sporting my new sig)

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Source: Boston Herald -- Full Story (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_08_07_Jed_Lowrie_no_short_story:_Might_be_lon g-term_answer_for_Red_Sox/srvc=sox&position=3)

They are not being gentle right now.

Period Lugo was the worst of these three SS signings/trades. Renteria, Orlando Cabrera, and Lugo. Lowrie has already matched his rbi total all year. That's pitiful (on lugo's behalf).

Celts22
08-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Boston INF Julio Lugo (strained left quadriceps) did some light jogging Friday and Red Sox manager Terry Francona said his progress is "OK." Lugo's been out since July 12
espn.com

:censored::bang:

Hopefully he runs into some setbacks that take him through the end of the season.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
espn.com

:censored::bang:

Hopefully he runs into some setbacks that take him through the end of the season.

Or let's hope Tito will grow a pair and bench him for the rest of the season.

Tragedy
08-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Or let's hope Tito will grow a pair and bench him for the rest of the season.
Sadly, I'll put money down that Francona will play Lugo when he returns, just maybe not every single day.

DaaBoTownSox
08-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Now I think it's pretty fair to think not many people will disagree that Lugo has been a disappointment, especially for the $$ he makes.

However, does anyone see any feasible way he can honestly go back to his position at SS? I know Tito has warned us all that Lowrie has never even played a full AAA season, but let's be completely blunt here.

This was Lugo's job to lose, and by all possible methods, he has lost it. There is just no comparing the level of play between Lugo over the past 2 seasons and Lowrie right now.

Lugo has played 82 games this season. He's batting .268/.355/.330 (81 OPS+). He has 22 RBI's, 13 doubles and no triples. This is a guy who depends on his speed.. and he hasn't legged out a triple?? Let's not forget the 16 errors he's committed.

Lowrie on the other hand has only played 33 games and he's seen a few positions (3B, SS, 2B) .. he has 0 errors at any of the 3 positions. He is also batting .293/.349/.413 (99 OPS+) -- Jed likes to take the cut at balls.. he doesn't K a lot, but he does make contact for the out a lot. his OPS suffers for lack of walks -- still better than lugo's. Beyond that, because of his overall better at bats.. he has only 4 less RBI's than Lugo in only 40% of the games, he's getting those hits when they matter most. 6 doubles and a triple, he's not lightning quick, but he's showing he can run the path.

I guess what I'm saying is.. if Lugo goes back to SS when he comes back.. I might have to hang myself..

(this does not take into account tonight in which Lowrie earned another triple and 2 more rbi's)

I'm sorry, but I certainly hope not.

Was I the only one who was actually happy when he got injured?

lol I know that's bad..

lil'papi
08-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't even worry about this. Lowrie is the SS until he flops or succeeds , it looks like the later. They also need to know whether he can play the position for the future. So yes this is an audition.

He clearly has the part.

Lugo is slow to recover that's the bet being taken at the offices around Boston. He won't be ready to play whether he is or not.
Not sure how to move 18mil and his BA.
He might make a good utility for a year or so....

We need steady, consistent as I always preach. That's what wins long races. This is a long race.

Osiagledknarf
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't even worry about this. Lowrie is the SS until he flops or succeeds , it looks like the later. They also need to know whether he can play the position for the future. So yes this is an audition.

He clearly has the part.

Lugo is slow to recover that's the bet being taken at the offices around Boston. He won't be ready to play whether he is or not.
Not sure how to move 18mil and his BA.
He might make a good utility for a year or so....

We need steady, consistent as I always preach. That's what wins long races. This is a long race.

I think that's your best bet, if you're predicting how things are gonna go down. Lugo as a utility player for next year, and you can probably move him after that... Ugh...what a terrible signing.

futureheisman
08-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I feel the same way as anyone else and couldnt agree more but if you can tell me which team is going to take julio lugo with his pathenic play and his contract. Ill give you the answer NO ONE.... people say just eat the contract and someone will take him. let me ask you something else with his play who will want him in even a backup role???? he cant be a defensive replacement and his offensive performance who is going to want him.

look at his numbers:
BA HR RBI OBP SLG
.268 1 22 .355 .330

Defensive numbers
2008 Bos SS 81 79 671 292 100 176 16 34 .945 3.70 .823 --

Jed lowrie:

279 1 22 .339 .414

22 21 184 89 29 60 0 11 1.000 4.35 .917

There is not a question who the shortstop should be not only this year but for years to come but what im trying to say is how are you going to be able to get rid of julio lugo.

Osiagledknarf
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
No doubt...I agree totally.

sboyajian
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
There is already an official Lowrie / Lugo thread.. why another?

DaaBoTownSox
08-11-2008, 02:05 AM
I feel the same way as anyone else and couldnt agree more but if you can tell me which team is going to take julio lugo with his pathenic play and his contract. Ill give you the answer NO ONE.... people say just eat the contract and someone will take him. let me ask you something else with his play who will want him in even a backup role???? he cant be a defensive replacement and his offensive performance who is going to want him.

look at his numbers:
BA HR RBI OBP SLG
.268 1 22 .355 .330

Defensive numbers
2008 Bos SS 81 79 671 292 100 176 16 34 .945 3.70 .823 --

Jed lowrie:

279 1 22 .339 .414

22 21 184 89 29 60 0 11 1.000 4.35 .917

There is not a question who the shortstop should be not only this year but for years to come but what im trying to say is how are you going to be able to get rid of julio lugo.

I'm sure someone would take him.

But, if no takers, he definitely has to be backup no matter what he thinks.

bagwell368
08-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Sox set a precident with Manny. Now all Lugo has to do is be a total jerk and they may be forced to cut him.

They will trade him, but it won't happen until July 31st 2009. By then they will have to decide who will go with him (Bucholz, Bowden, etc.) along with about 8.5M per annum to get back something.

RedSoxtober
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I think that's your best bet, if you're predicting how things are gonna go down. Lugo as a utility player for next year, and you can probably move him after that... Ugh...what a terrible signing.

There's another advantage to benching him or giving him the UT role: his option year vests based on PAs. If he becomes a very expensive UT there is no question that his option doesn't vest, making him easier to move should the Sox find a suitor. More likely, though, it looks like he'll have to be packaged with someone much more attractive in order to move him much in the same way as Lowell came with Beckett.

futureheisman
08-11-2008, 10:41 AM
havin a 9MM dollar player be a backup

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
havin a 9MM dollar player be a backup

Lowrie already has more RBI's in part time play than Lugo all season. GTFO Lugo. Nontender him.

acecrusher06
08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
i think quite a few sox fans were glad when lugo hurt his leg haha

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Sadly, I'll put money down that Francona will play Lugo when he returns, just maybe not every single day.

Or maybe... Francona is behind Lugo while he's walking down the stairs... :D

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Lowrie already has more RBI's in part time play than Lugo all season. GTFO Lugo. Nontender him.

You cannot non-tender a player with a guaranteed contract. "Non-tender" by definition means that you don't offer (tender) a contract to him. That's what happens to the guys with less than six years of service time (the club-control years) whom you deem expendable or too expensive because they don't have a contract (assuming you went year-to-year with them).

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Jeez, that sucks ^^ :D

Lugo is our new utility guy. Here's how it goes next year spring training tito announces they are vying for the starting SS position.
Then for some reason Lowrie wins it. Tito says it was close and massages Lugo's ego, yeah the one he shouldn't have.:p

Lugo is told he will see lots of time in the infield and start practicing at second too.
The following yr if he still sucks (99.9% probability) then we eat his remaining year.
I love steady eddys coaches love them.........

Tragedy
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Lugo is our new utility guy. Here's how it goes next year spring training tito announces they are vying for the starting SS position.
Then for some reason Lowrie wins it. Tito says it was close and massages Lugo's ego, yeah the one he shouldn't have.
I do think it'll be an open comp. next ST if Lugo isn't traded (Not sure how many teams need a SS/Would want Lugo).

However, I am a little bothered that Lugo will probably take away plenty of at bats from Lowrie once he returns, unless the Red Sox pull the "Oh, Lugo is injured for the year..." routine.

And on that note, if we trade Lugo to any team, he'll bat .330. Guaranteed.

Tankjeep
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I do think it'll be an open comp. next ST if Lugo isn't traded (Not sure how many teams need a SS/Would want Lugo).

However, I am a little bothered that Lugo will probably take away plenty of at bats from Lowrie once he returns, unless the Red Sox pull the "Oh, Lugo is injured for the year..." routine.

And on that note, if we trade Lugo to any team, he'll bat .330. Guaranteed.

typical for any player after they leave boston.

m2j3
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Lowrie is a beast. He's very very fast. I would hang myself to if Lugo comes back and plays shortstop lol.

Crucis
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM

I don't particularly care if Lugo spells Lowrie maybe once a week. It's hard to expect that the Sox would have a $9M SS sitting on the bench without him playing once in a while (much as I might wish that they'd just cut him or DFA him).

However, my biggest concern is the playoff roster. I have a hard time seeing how the Sox have Lowrie, Lugo, and Cora on the playoff roster together.

Personally, I'd just leave Lugo off, as he's the least flexible defensively, since to the best of my knowledge, he's just a SS, whereas Lowrie and Cora can play 2B, SS, and 3B.

bagwell368
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I won't be surprised to see the Sox reinstate Lugo around the 20th or 21st and send Lowrie back to PAW. That'll give the Sox time to see if Lugo's summer vacation has done him any good while still making Lowrie available at or near the 8/31 date that guarantees his availability for October. If Lugo plays well then my guess is that Lowrie eventually displaces Cora.

Tell me you are joking. If the Sox fall out of the race you play Lowrie, if they stay in, you play Lowrie. Cora has no future with this team. Lugo has a limited future with this team (July 31st 2009 or earlier).

The Sox will be hunting for the 3 c's in the off season - catcher and cc. Lowrie has the job for '09. In the long run I see him as a 3B. If he isn't a 125+ or better OPS hitter it will be elsewhere, or if he can settle in as a sub at SS/3B he'll stick also.

Meanwhile Lugo will be long gone and tossed on the ash heap of expensive Sox failures such as Matt Young.

bagwell368
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Lugo can also play OF, but hasn't not in a couple of years.

I love Theo's moves in terms of drafting, but his trades and FA signings - make me visualize that statue from the movie - "Midnight in Garden of Good and Evil", and we are the lower scale, a bit too often. Thank goodness for deep pockets.

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Tell me you are joking. If the Sox fall out of the race you play Lowrie, if they stay in, you play Lowrie. Cora has no future with this team. Lugo has a limited future with this team (July 31st 2009 or earlier).

The Sox will be hunting for the 3 c's in the off season - catcher and cc. Lowrie has the job for '09. In the long run I see him as a 3B. If he isn't a 125+ or better OPS hitter it will be elsewhere, or if he can settle in as a sub at SS/3B he'll stick also.

Meanwhile Lugo will be long gone and tossed on the ash heap of expensive Sox failures such as Matt Young.

No I am not joking at all. The logic is pretty straightforward. The Sox FO has always loved Lugo and the salary represents a great deal of incentive to play him. When he's ready he makes the team and Lowrie leaves simply because Lowrie has options. Any other move means they've got to sever ties with someone. Cora will refuse an assignment to AAA and get picked up and they won't want to risk that in case there is an injury further down the line. Optioning Lowrie is the only thing that makes sense in that regard.

After that my point is pretty simple. If Lugo plays well enough then he stays in Cora's place and Cora gets cut. If he continues to "produce" as he has then the Sox leave Lowrie in the minors until Sep 1. In this way the risk no losses in personnel while driving all three players to play at their highest potential.

Cora is gone after this season no matter what.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
You cannot non-tender a player with a guaranteed contract. "Non-tender" by definition means that you don't offer (tender) a contract to him. That's what happens to the guys with less than six years of service time (the club-control years) whom you deem expendable or too expensive because they don't have a contract (assuming you went year-to-year with them).

Wrong term. DFA, that would be the correct term I would believe. But then again, do we want to pay someone else to take him. I'm not sure. I just want him out of Boston.

celticfan
08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I love Lowrie! Heck of a player

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, everyone is about to be either happy or unhappy. With Lowell leaving the game with an oblique strain I suspect that Lugo is about to get healthy very quickly, with Lowrie manning third and Lugo at short.

DaaBoTownSox
08-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Well, everyone is about to be either happy or unhappy. With Lowell leaving the game with an oblique strain I suspect that Lugo is about to get healthy very quickly, with Lowrie manning third and Lugo at short.

Unhappy would be the consensus I think. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

JimmyMal450
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM

If Lowell is significantly hurt then this will happen. Unless Casey goes to first and Youk to third, which I don't like as much because we downgrade defensively.

DaaBoTownSox
08-13-2008, 02:52 AM
If Lowell is significantly hurt then this will happen. Unless Casey goes to first and Youk to third, which I don't like as much because we downgrade defensively.

Well, it's already said on the official site that if Lowell goes to the DL, that the setup will be Youk to 3rd and Casey to play first.

Also, how do you get that as being a downgrade defensively? You must be under the assumption that Casey isn't very good defensively, which isn't the case.

DaaBoTownSox
08-13-2008, 02:54 AM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080813&content_id=3300332&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

You can read it there, it's towards the bottom.

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 07:15 AM

Happy: Lowrie on the team for the rest of the season
Unhappy: Lugo returns to the team (at any time)

I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy. :D

lil'papi
08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Well as long as your drinking whiskey. Half a glass is enough.....

I can't imagine Lugo has any miracles. Maybe he is learning from Lowrie? The guy isn't what he was in TB that's for darn sure.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
lugo should never play.

Cora is way better than him. and Lowrie looks like an all star compared to him.

Osiagledknarf
08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Haha...it's such a nightmare that you actually have to laugh. Remember the people suggesting we get Furcal? Haha...sigh.

JimmyMal450
08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, it's already said on the official site that if Lowell goes to the DL, that the setup will be Youk to 3rd and Casey to play first.

Also, how do you get that as being a downgrade defensively? You must be under the assumption that Casey isn't very good defensively, which isn't the case.

Casey is an above average fielder, Youkilis is a GG 1st baseman. Mike Lowell is a goldglove caliber 3rd baseman while Youkilis is a decent fielder at third base. That looks like a downgrade to me.

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 01:41 PM
The Commissioner on Lugo/Lowrie:

Good Afternoon Peter, How to you evaluate Lowrie's performance so far? Will he be the starting SS in 2009 and where could/will they trade Lugo to this off-season?

Peter_Gammons
I think Lowrie is their SS at least for the next couple of years. I realize that his is a very brief window but one NL team that does defensive ratings like Red Sox and Indians has Lowrie's defense ranked 5th among the 62 ML shortstops. I might add that Derek Jeter and Jose Reyes were in the 40's. Whether or not his range holds up way above ave. over an entire season is something we'll have to see but he is an above ave. offensive SS who brings a grinding approach to every at-bat. I think they'll have to figure out what to do with Lugo once season is over. If he accepts it it will be interesting to see if he goes back to his role with tampa which is a super utility man. He's played 2nd, 3rd, and the outfield and might be valuable in that role again if he would accept it.

Osiagledknarf
08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
It feels pretty good when Peter Gammons, the baseball guru of baseball gurus, says the same thing I've been saying.

Lowrie has all the potential in the world, and he's having a great run...there's no reason not to give him the job. Lugo as a super-sub wouldn't be terrible.

The Intimidator
08-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Lowrie has 26 RBI in 40 games, which puts him on pace for 105 in a 162 game season.

Lugo has 22 RBI in 82 games, which puts him on pace for 43 in a 162 game season.

Combine that stat with the fact that Lugo is inept defensively, hits for a lower average than Lowrie, and that Lowrie is solid fundamentally, and there is no arguement: Lowrie is the choice, hands down.

Crucis
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
You can add on at least a couple more RBIs to that total from tonight's game. And it seems like Lowrie regularly to get clutch run producing hits, unlike Lugo who, at least this season, seemed to always hit some lame grounder in clutch situations.

Time to declare that Lowrie's the Sox starting SS!

DaaBoTownSox
08-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Casey is an above average fielder, Youkilis is a GG 1st baseman. Mike Lowell is a goldglove caliber 3rd baseman while Youkilis is a decent fielder at third base. That looks like a downgrade to me.

Casey also has very limited playing time. But anyways, I'd take an above average player over someone like Lugo who is way below average.

But, I still think Casey is Solid defensively. Certainly not a risk.

JimmyMal450
08-14-2008, 01:02 AM
Casey also has very limited playing time. But anyways, I'd take an above average player over someone like Lugo who is way below average.

But, I still think Casey is Solid defensively. Certainly not a risk.

I understand your point. I like the Youk at 3rd Casey at 1st more so than Lugo at short so i agree with you. I never said Casey is a risk, I just said he is a downgrade over Youk which is true.

DaaBoTownSox
08-14-2008, 01:06 AM
I understand your point. I like the Youk at 3rd Casey at 1st more so than Lugo at short so i agree with you. I never said Casey is a risk, I just said he is a downgrade over Youk which is true.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say you said he was a risk. But your right, he is a downgrade over Youk. I was just saying I think he's still pretty solid, although not the GG winner that Youk is.

sboyajian
08-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Lowrie has 26 RBI in 40 games, which puts him on pace for 105 in a 162 game season.

Lugo has 22 RBI in 82 games, which puts him on pace for 43 in a 162 game season.

Combine that stat with the fact that Lugo is inept defensively, hits for a lower average than Lowrie, and that Lowrie is solid fundamentally, and there is no arguement: Lowrie is the choice, hands down.
It should also be mentioned that Lowrie puts himself into Scoring position much quicker than Lugo. Lugo does has 12 SB's compared to Jed's none.. however, Jed puts himself in SP off his hit. In the same amount of games listed above, Jed has 11 doubles compared to Lugo's 13 and also has 2 triples to Lugo's 0.

DaaBoTownSox
08-14-2008, 06:41 AM
It's amazing the success Lowrie has had with the bases loaded as well in his young career.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 08:43 AM
^^ Yeah he is hitting .250.

He is driving in runs but only 1/4 with them jammed. He hits well with RISP. .417 ......

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
It should also be mentioned that Lowrie puts himself into Scoring position much quicker than Lugo. Lugo does has 12 SB's compared to Jed's none.. however, Jed puts himself in SP off his hit. In the same amount of games listed above, Jed has 11 doubles compared to Lugo's 13 and also has 2 triples to Lugo's 0.

Gotta learn to slide, though. He looked stupid getting nailed at the plate by Hamilton last night.

Tragedy
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Gotta learn to slide, though. He looked stupid getting nailed at the plate by Hamilton last night.
Eh, no big deal. One small mess up in a so far quality beginning to his career (I knew Hamilton would absolutely nail him, too).

It was widely known that the Red Sox were never 110% sure that Lowrie could be a major league, everyday, quality SS. He's proving it right now when we need it most. If Pedroia can get the 2B job after hitting .190 in his 2006 debut, then Lowrie should be our SS next year.

Worst case scenario, you designate Lugo and have to eat some money. It's not like the team can't suck up that kind of money.

IceMan360
08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Eh, no big deal. One small mess up in a so far quality beginning to his career (I knew Hamilton would absolutely nail him, too).

It was widely known that the Red Sox were never 110% sure that Lowrie could be a major league, everyday, quality SS. He's proving it right now when we need it most. If Pedroia can get the 2B job after hitting .190 in his 2006 debut, then Lowrie should be our SS next year.

Worst case scenario, you designate Lugo and have to eat some money. It's not like the team can't suck up that kind of money.

U know what i thought the same thing too, everyone knew about ellsbury and pedroia before they were called up so it kinda blows my mind how a gem like lowrie could have gone under the radar for so long. The kid can staight out hit and play "D" pros for to the Soxs for drafting well

sboyajian
08-14-2008, 11:56 AM
U know what i thought the same thing too, everyone knew about ellsbury and pedroia before they were called up so it kinda blows my mind how a gem like lowrie could have gone under the radar for so long. The kid can staight out hit and play "D" pros for to the Soxs for drafting well

Lowrie is my prospect and I said he was going to be awesome from day 1 :)

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 05:44 PM
UM, the third base coach takes blame.:eyebrow: I didn't see him run through a sign? Send 'em and weep.....that was a serious peg by Hamilton.

JimmyMal450
08-14-2008, 07:11 PM
^^ Yeah he is hitting .250.

He is driving in runs but only 1/4 with them jammed. He hits well with RISP. .417 ......

Lowrie is batting .500 (5 for 10) with bases loaded.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
UM, the third base coach takes blame.:eyebrow: I didn't see him run through a sign? Send 'em and weep.....that was a serious peg by Hamilton.

3b coach can take some blame -- the ball was not deep enough to score from third. HOWEVER, Lowrie could have made it close by sliding to the 3b side of home plate and catching the plate with his left hand. He didn't even try.

Okay, it's crying over spilled milk. The point was only to say the kid doesn't do everything right. We're about to see Lowrie grow bigger than life on these boards. We've got to keep some perspective about the kid... and the rest of the players.

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Lowrie is batting .500 (5 for 10) with bases loaded.

J Lowrie
BOS SS 7 6 1 4 3 0 0 9 7 0 0 0 0 .667 1.167 .667

I pulled up with him at 3b. Jeez, weird they post stats for position with the same guy.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=bos&baseballScope=BOS&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeSubFrame=2008&sitSplit=s123&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 09:44 AM
3b coach can take some blame -- the ball was not deep enough to score from third. HOWEVER, Lowrie could have made it close by sliding to the 3b side of home plate and catching the plate with his left hand. He didn't even try.

Okay, it's crying over spilled milk. The point was only to say the kid doesn't do everything right. We're about to see Lowrie grow bigger than life on these boards. We've got to keep some perspective about the kid... and the rest of the players.

So, if he doesn't go he is fine.:p

I couldn't agree more fans in here anoint HOF status to guys on the way up , then like Buchholz trade him. :rolleyes:

DaaBoTownSox
08-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Here is something for the red sox organization to gander at...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/JayMJ99/veryrandom/someonegetthistoterry.jpg

kazzy4080
08-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Here is something for the red sox organization to gander at...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/JayMJ99/veryrandom/someonegetthistoterry.jpg

lugo has more stolen bases...

DaaBoTownSox
08-17-2008, 02:45 AM
lugo has more stolen bases...

And?

kazzy4080
08-17-2008, 02:57 AM
And?

shows that lugo should be the starter. :cool:

DaaBoTownSox
08-17-2008, 02:59 AM
shows that lugo should be the starter. :cool:

lol your joking I hope.

Tragedy
08-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I hope/believe/think he is.

Anyone that has seen Lugo play even once this year knows he can't be starting.

With that said, Lowrie has pretty much shown the FO what he can do. He's steady defensively (Haven't seen him do anything special, but he's overall solid, which Lugo is not), and he keeps hitting good enough to be a major league starter.

Lugo, just go away.

papipapsmanny
08-17-2008, 01:20 PM
if lugo starts, he have an uprising... agreed?

americaspasttim
08-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I followed Lowrie's progress fairly closely up until last year, but I haven't seen him (or any Red Sox game for that matter) this year. What is it that makes him so special?

kazzy4080
08-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I hope/believe/think he is.

i was just kidding around, if francona plays lugo i would lose confidence in tito

sboyajian
08-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I followed Lowrie's progress fairly closely up until last year, but I haven't seen him (or any Red Sox game for that matter) this year. What is it that makes him so special?

He's like Pedroia.. he just has raw natural talent and the ability to play above what he appears he should be able to.

PapelbonLester
08-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Lowrie deffently won the job imo. you cant bench a .300 hitter that continues to produce night after night. so lowrie at ss.......sounds SOOOOOO MUCH better than lugo already. honestly if lowrie wasnt in our system and we had to start cora at short i still feel like its an upgrade. offensivly there equal and deffensivly cora is way better

DaaBoTownSox
08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
On a little side note, it's sad that Lugo almost has as many RBI's as Varitek in considerably less playing time.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM

He can actually hit the ball unlike that other guy...

yaowowrocket11
08-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Lowrie deffently won the job imo. you cant bench a .300 hitter that continues to produce night after night. so lowrie at ss.......sounds SOOOOOO MUCH better than lugo already. honestly if lowrie wasnt in our system and we had to start cora at short i still feel like its an upgrade. offensivly there equal and deffensivly cora is way better

Cora is better defensively, but he does lack range.

Lowrie = starting SS.

:clap:

Tragedy
08-17-2008, 10:50 PM
He's not Lugo.

Seriously though, he's not really "special". I don't see him being as good as a Pedroia or anything. However, he's a solid/good offensive producer and a solid/good defender. I'll take that for league minimum and at age 24 over Lugo, his over 30 age, and his $9 million salary.

RedSoxtober
08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
He's not Lugo.

Seriously though, he's not really "special". I don't see him being as good as a Pedroia or anything. However, he's a solid/good offensive producer and a solid/good defender. I'll take that for league minimum and at age 24 over Lugo, his over 30 age, and his $9 million salary.

I think the comparison to Pedroia (and elsewhere Mueller) is accurate in terms of their style of play. They're both dirt dogs with a knack for the big hit. I like Lowrie as a switch hitter, too. Overall, though, I agree that he's not 'special' in the sense of ROY or anything like that. He's a steady contributor... the kind of guy you need to check off the position and look elsewhere for needs.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Julio Lugo hit in the cage yesterday for the first time since tearing his left quadriceps. Lugo estimated that he would need a couple of more days of hitting, and that he might be able to go out on a rehab assignment in about a week. That would put his return at the beginning of September. "I don't have no pain," Lugo said. "I just feel like the muscle's stiff. It's grabbing my knee. I think that's causing a little pain in the knee, but not in the muscle."

Tragedy
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
:(

Lugo "tore" his quad? That's nearly impossible to do that and be back this soon. Was "tear" a word they just threw out there, or was it some sort of minute tear?

sboyajian
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Regardless, I don't see any possible way to bench Lowrie right now. In half the AB's he is destroying Lugo in every possible category except SB's.

He's got a 119 OPS+, he's batting over .300 (With the exception of his first game when he went 1/4 and after a 4 game slump, his average has never dropped below Lugos).

He get's better day in and day out. He is a defensive upgrade.. I think if you see Lowrie sent back down and Lugo starting, you are going to hear a Chorus of boo's.. Boston has adopted Lowrie very quickly and I'm sure no one is looking forward to a Lugo return.

Tragedy
08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Regardless, I don't see any possible way to bench Lowrie right now. In half the AB's he is destroying Lugo in every possible category except SB's.
It's Terry Francona.

I mean, he's a players manager. He goes against the numbers. Lugo has seniority, so I really think he's going to play Lugo when he returns.

It'd be very, very frustrating to see Lowrie sent to the bench. There is no reason for it. I hope I' wrong.

sboyajian
08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
It's Terry Francona.

I mean, he's a players manager. He goes against the numbers. Lugo has seniority, so I really think he's going to play Lugo when he returns.

It'd be very, very frustrating to see Lowrie sent to the bench. There is no reason for it. I hope I' wrong.

You are right.. he is a players manager.. however, he also has the distinct pleasure of being 4.5 games back right now..

He speaks highly of Jed and I think that alone will help him remain in the game. I think that's why Ellsbury kept seeing playing time even when he was struggling.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-19-2008, 01:36 PM
A possible comp for this situation would be the Papelbon/Foulke in 06. Foulke was the struggling incumbent, Papelbon was the kid who could actually do the job. Papelbon got the job.

RedSoxtober
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
It's Terry Francona.

A possible comp for this situation would be the Papelbon/Foulke in 06. Foulke was the struggling incumbent, Papelbon was the kid who could actually do the job. Papelbon got the job.

I think the Coco/Ellsbury analogy is better given that it's (a) position players and (b) after a season long struggle. Lugo will get his chance to prove himself capable after he returns but ultimately Lowrie will win the job.

lil'papi
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Lowrie already won the job, look for Lugo to fill-in. Lugo will either go buh-bye next year (doubts) or super sub minus the super.

Tragedy
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Lowrie already won the job, look for Lugo to fill-in. Lugo will either go buh-bye next year (doubts) or super sub minus the super.
I would have no problem seeing Lugo/Lowrie in 2009 turn into what Crisp/Ellsbury have done in 2008. If Cora walks, Lugo/Lowrie can switch off between some 2B/SS/3B. I can't say I'd have a huge problem with that.

But in a perfect world, the Red Sox would find a trade partner for Julio.

sboyajian
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I would have no problem seeing Lugo/Lowrie in 2009 turn into what Crisp/Ellsbury have done in 2008. If Cora walks, Lugo/Lowrie can switch off between some 2B/SS/3B. I can't say I'd have a huge problem with that.

But in a perfect world, the Red Sox would find a trade partner for Julio.

On the next trip to NYC, they could probably put together a trade utilizing the Hudson.

Tragedy
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Or just punch Lugo in the quad...:shrug:

gosawks
08-21-2008, 12:59 AM
i like that idea. the longer he's on the dl, he better our chances.

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I 2nd that notion.

Vincent33
08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
With Lowerie exceeding all expectations with his play at SS, I can't see Lugo getting any playtime when he comes of the DL. Has anyone heard any rumors on Epstein moving him?

ThreeIfBaerga
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
With Lowerie exceeding all expectations with his play at SS, I can't see Lugo getting any playtime when he comes of the DL. Has anyone heard any rumors on Epstein moving him?

A few days ago there was mention of this in a BP.com chat, guy said the Sox are happy with Lowrie at short and will look to trade Lugo in the off-season. Take it FWIW.

-Lavigne43-
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
We are not going to get anything for him

The Intimidator
08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
This will be just like when we traded Renteria to the Braves after the 2005 season. We'll have to eat his salary, and we'll get close to nothing in return, but at least we clear a spot for Lowrie to play every day.

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
im sure if we pay his salery we can get something decent in return. Im guessing we might try to package him so get can get a catching prospect even though i love the guys we drafted and LOVE Luis Exposito. i just feel they wanna prospect that is closer than the 2-3 years luis away.

Nighthawk
08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
i wouldnt trade lugo alone. Pay some of hois salary and package him with some young players and try an get maybe a Bullpen arm or an extra outfielder.

D-Raw127
08-25-2008, 06:30 PM
This will be just like when we traded Renteria to the Braves after the 2005 season. We'll have to eat his salary, and we'll get close to nothing in return, but at least we clear a spot for Lowrie to play every day.

They got one of Atlanta's top prospects, its just that we flipped him in a package for Coco
so when all is said and done, we did get just about nothing

(i believe thats what happened, feel free to correct me)

boodgyman5220
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
yea it was andy marte, then we flipped him, kelly shoppach, and guillermo moto for coco
=

D-Raw127
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
and bard and riske

Towelie
08-25-2008, 08:05 PM
yea it was andy marte, then we flipped him, kelly shoppach, and guillermo moto for coco
=

no, Moto we got in the Florida deal I think.

bagwell368
08-25-2008, 08:09 PM
=

yeah... I'd like to flip Kelly right back here.

papipapsmanny
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
can we just trade him for some bats, seriously i wouldnt be opposed to that

celticfan
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
No one will take Lugo will they?

Crucis
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Probably not unless they're desperate and the Sox pay a hefty chunk of Lugo's remaining salary.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Please don't act like Andy Marte was a nothing prospect. Sure, he's been a bust, but at the time he was Atlanta's #1 prospect. . . then he was Boston's #1 prospect. . . then he was Cleveland's #1 prospect. That was a serious coup gettng him.

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Please don't act like Andy Marte was a nothing prospect. Sure, he's been a bust, but at the time he was Atlanta's #1 prospect. . . then he was Boston's #1 prospect. . . then he was Cleveland's #1 prospect. That was a serious coup gettng him.

wasnt ever our number one. he was a number 5. for about 2 weeks

ThreeIfBaerga
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
wasnt ever our number one. he was a number 5. for about 2 weeks

Wrong wrong and wrong. He was the first player ever to top three different BA team Top 10s.

Red Sox (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/05top10s/redsox.html)

Braves (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/05top10s/braves.html)

He was also atop Cleveland's list that year, but the reports were published before he was traded there, so he won't show up atop their list. He isn't even in their Top 10, so you know it was just a matter of bad timing.

Indians (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/05top10s/indians.html)

He was also atop SoxProspects.com's Top 10 as of January 5th, 2006.

Link (http://web.archive.org/web/20060105040951/http://www.soxprospects.com/)

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Realistically...and let's face it...the Sox are going to take it on the chin in any Lugo trade. But, like alot of people have said already...at least we wash our hands of the problem and move on.

PapelbonLester
08-26-2008, 01:19 AM
well id still keep him as a backup. honestly teach him third and maybe center and make him a utility player. you never no he might just need a change and we can get the tampa bay lugo

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 01:32 AM
well id still keep him as a backup. honestly teach him third and maybe center and make him a utility player. you never no he might just need a change and we can get the tampa bay lugo

I think that is probably a solid decision...he's done some super-sub work before anyway.

lil'papi
08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Super- sub , please define super? He can't be super anything it's not in his DNA.

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Haha...by super sub I mean he's athletic enough to be able to play 2B, 3B, SS, and all three OF positions...thus providing Francona with alot of roster versatility and maneuverablity. It's not a terrible idea...something to kick the tires on at least.

lil'papi
08-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Haha...by super sub I mean he's athletic enough to be able to play 2B, 3B, SS, and all three OF positions...thus providing Francona with alot of roster versatility and maneuverablity. It's not a terrible idea...something to kick the tires on at least.

I prefer sucky utility player , but that's has no ring to it. I know what it means , it just hard to put super and Lugo in the same sentence. He could play every position and even pitch and manage and super would still be an S on someone elses cape.

I honestly liked the deal except for the money involved that's until Lugo left his game in TB.

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I honestly recall thinking..."Wow Theo, you had to trade away one horrible mistake in Renteria, and now you signed another." I liked Alex Gonzalez, but I understood the need for some offense out of the SS position. I really wasn't thrilled with the Lugo signing when it happened, but then we signed Matsuzaka like the very next day and I was happy again. I don't think Lugo's ever been an outstanding defensive shortstop...and he only hit .300 once, and that was the year before we signed him.

Sometimes it's better to sit tight, I guess.

celticfan
08-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I really want lugo out

bagwell368
08-28-2008, 09:32 PM
what does he get 9.4M ? Just get him out, eat the salary, it doesn't matter he sucks. he can take Cora, Timlin, and some others with him too...

Tragedy
08-29-2008, 01:13 AM
I began thinking about this last night. You can start Lowrie, allow Cora to walk, and let Lugo play 2B/SS/3B/OF. He can do it. He could get himself 300 at bats in that type of role. If Lowrie struggles mightily, we can allow Lugo to take some at bats away from him.

I understand people will complain about Lugo's salary in a situation like that, but who cares? As long as they're willing to pay it, oh well.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Shortstop Julio Lugo, who suffered a severely strained quad on July 11 against Baltimore, was moved from the 15-day DL to the 60-day disabled list in order to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

That pretty much does it for Lugo this year. He won't be eligible to return until mid-September.

Osiagledknarf
08-30-2008, 01:46 AM
I think it also reduces the odds we can trade him in the offseason...so that super-sub role could be coming right up in 2009.

DaaBoTownSox
08-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Believe it or not, I still think there will be takers.

Just don't ask me who lol.

Osiagledknarf
08-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Well believe me...I hope you're right!

lil'papi
08-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Believe it or not, I still think there will be takers.

Just don't ask me who lol.

Takers that will be on the Dr. Phil show the following year. :p