PDA

View Full Version : worst raptors draft pick

raptors wiseguy
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
who do you guys think is the worst pick the raps have ever made???

my vote goes to hoffa

star
08-05-2008, 11:04 PM
This thread is pointless .... what is worse than hoffa ....

greg_ory_2005
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Radojevic was pretty garbage too.

lukeem21
08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
radojevic was worse

GCOOKIE7
08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
hoffa

_Sn1P3r_
08-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Hoffa IMO.

robert_goulet
08-06-2008, 01:44 AM
michael bradley is up there too

ink
08-06-2008, 01:58 AM

I think Bradley was worse than Hoffa. Did he even play??

robert_goulet
08-06-2008, 02:02 AM
I think Bradley was worse than Hoffa. Did he even play??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(basketball)

ink
08-06-2008, 02:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(basketball)

Sounds worse than Hoffa to me.

kuppz
08-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I heard hoffa works at Sports Check now.

nstojic
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
for this thread to work you have to have a poll and you should also take into consideration who we missed out on in the few picks after ours because IMO that makes our pick that much worse... i.e. iggy after hoffa

nstojic
08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
^^

bargs over Roy? jury still out but it don't like good at this time

graham over granger?

'02 rush over tayshaun prince?

'01 bradley over randolph, haywood, gerald wallace, dalembert, tony parker, arenas?

'99 bender over szczerbiak, rip hamilton, andre miller, the matrix, jason terry, corey maggette?

'96 camby over ray allen, kobe?

Bob_at_york
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I heard hoffa works at Sports Check now.

he plays in a Russian league.

raptors wiseguy
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
for this thread to work you have to have a poll and you should also take into consideration who we missed out on in the few picks after ours because IMO that makes our pick that much worse... i.e. iggy after hoffa

sorry about that guys ok...this is based on stats as a raptor and who was passed up on in the following picks...how do you make a poll by the way?

The Wise 1
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Sounds worse than Hoffa to me.

Might haveb been, but if you take into consideration where they were drafted, Hoffa was worse, IMO.

blujaysrock
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM

graham over granger?

'01 bradley over randolph, haywood, gerald wallace, dalembert, tony parker, arenas?

'99 bender over szczerbiak, rip hamilton, andre miller, the matrix, jason terry, corey maggette?

those are the worst, just think in 96 is we had the first pick we woulda had AI and kobe went 13th in that draft :speechless:

rapswin98
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I think Bradley was worse than Hoffa. Did he even play??hoffa was a 7th pick, and andre igudala was 8th pick

iHop
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
i say its rafael araujo we cud of got a WAYYYY better player e.g:Andre Iguodala,Josh Smith and J.R. Smith to name a few

AK-50
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Whats done is done and look at where we are now so it doesn't really matter.

mariotubes
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
hoffa obviously, he was, and still is, garbage

canzano55
08-06-2008, 06:02 PM
As bad as some of the picks mentioned in this thread seem now, things could always be a hell of a lot worse i.e. Detroit passes on Darko and we end up getting him for example.

Bob_at_york
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
hoffa was a 7th pick, and andre igudala was 8th pick

I really think comparing him to Iggy is wrong, we were not going to draft Iggy we were set on the wings.

lukeem21
08-06-2008, 08:05 PM
i agree vince wanted to win now, so we tried to make that happen by picking someone to fill our biggest need who seemed the most nba ready....... not saying we were right or it wasnt a bad pick but maybe if we picked iggy he wouldnt be half the player he is today, he would have been stuck behind vince a lot and if he learned from vince he would be sulking about being in philly right now and refuusing to play with any heart or drive to the net

Musical Tempo
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
^^

graham over granger?

I agree with most, except for camby over ray allen, kobe etc....Camby was a solid player for Toronto and no one really knew thats Kobe was Kobe until half way through his 2nd season, everyone starting realizing he was the real deal in the NBA ( I remember Charlotte GM kicking himself for the Divac trade)...At the time Ray Allen came in it was a big man bangin inside game, everyone though rays shot was his only asset, but we clearly know it isnt now so I dont think its a bad draft.

The rest of the list looks good, IMO.

raptors wiseguy
08-07-2008, 12:23 AM
i agree vince wanted to win now, so we tried to make that happen by picking someone to fill our biggest need who seemed the most nba ready....... not saying we were right or it wasnt a bad pick but maybe if we picked iggy he wouldnt be half the player he is today, he would have been stuck behind vince a lot and if he learned from vince he would be sulking about being in philly right now and refuusing to play with any heart or drive to the net

was it really vince that pulled for hoffa??? i rememver going to the VC charity allstar game that year before the season started...and seeing andre igoudala light it up with 30+ pts and dazzle the crowd with athletic dunks...i was thinking at the time...we shouldve picked him because he was a friend of vinces and he looked pretty good at the game....but if VC really did want hoffa, thats a surprise to me

travesy3
08-07-2008, 12:25 AM
All I know is I was watching this Raptors re-draft a year or two ago, and I am pretty sure the Warriors were trying to get the pick just ahead of the Raps to nab Hoffa, so the Raps weren't the only ones high on him. So if they take Hoffa, maybe we take Iggy who knows? :(

Bob_at_york
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
So if they take Hoffa, maybe we take Iggy who knows? :(
why would we? Did we not have MoPete, Vince, Rose and Murray at the time? I think Biedrins is more likely.

J_B
08-07-2008, 12:17 PM
We picked Jonathan Bender with the 5th pick then traded him for Davis but got REDEJOVIC with the 11th in thte same one...my vote is redejovic

nstojic
08-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I agree with most, except for camby over ray allen, kobe etc....Camby was a solid player for Toronto and no one really knew thats Kobe was Kobe until half way through his 2nd season, everyone starting realizing he was the real deal in the NBA ( I remember Charlotte GM kicking himself for the Divac trade)...At the time Ray Allen came in it was a big man bangin inside game, everyone though rays shot was his only asset, but we clearly know it isnt now so I dont think its a bad draft.

The rest of the list looks good, IMO.

to clarify, i don't think camby was a bust by any means, he was a solid player and continues to be a guy who's very good in his role... the thread just seems to be guys we took and i felt it the rating of that player was also impacted by who we missed and therefore, we'd have to look in retrospect and take into consideration what all the players have developed into

blujaysrock
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
in 1995 if we woulda had our pick 2 higher we woulda had Garnett.

pebloemer
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
^^

graham over granger?

I think that is a bad comparison we were drafting for Indiana to get Davis. We wouldn't say Hibbert over Greene, CDR, etc in the future because Hibbert wasn't drafted for us only by us.

Numbers
08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back solely at the players and not the fact situation in it's entirety is a futile exercise.

Hoffa was at the time coming off an impressive year and NCAA tournament.
He was a senior, considered an NBA ready body and with his mean streak thought to be a center that would not be intimidated in the move to the NBA.

All the players people mentioned that we could have taken instead of Hoffa were all duplications in the one position where we had an all star calibre player. Hoffa was a gamble, but I still think if looked at logically it is the type of gamble you sometimes want your GM to take, knowing on occasion it could fail.

Graham or Granger, no brainer, Graham. Yeah I said it , Joey Graham. At the time Graham was the top athlete out of the draft with good numbers from a top program in a tough division. Granger had similar plusses but a glaring knee problem that had been recently surgically repaired. He was a gamble that paid off for Indiana but after the Hoffa gamble the team wasn't taking any chances, and remember after that draft all the analysts thought that Babcock picked Villanueva too high and even said that they would have had less of a problem if Babcock picked Graham in the spot that they selected Charlie at.

No GM has a time machine and can see how the pick is going to turn out, some get lucky with late picks (Michael Redd, Gilbert Arenas) or get burned with early ones (Olowokandi, Darko) and some make last minute signings to fill a hole (Calderon) that turn into genius moves.

Having said all, that the worst pick in my opinion was A. Radejovic. At the time it was too much of a gamble, injury prone and never played high level basketball. Very little information at that time justified the pick other than the fact that he was 7 '3 and there were better players who were NBA ready on the board that would have improved the team.

pebloemer
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but looking back solely at the players and not the fact situation in it's entirety is a futile exercise.

Hoffa was at the time coming off an impressive year and NCAA tournament.
He was a senior, considered an NBA ready body and with his mean streak thought to be a center that would not be intimidated in the move to the NBA.

All the players people mentioned that we could have taken instead of Hoffa were all duplications in the one position where we had an all star calibre player. Hoffa was a gamble, but I still think if looked at logically it is the type of gamble you sometimes want your GM to take, knowing on occasion it could fail.

Graham or Granger, no brainer, Graham. Yeah I said it , Joey Graham. At the time Graham was the top athlete out of the draft with good numbers from a top program in a tough division. Granger had similar plusses but a glaring knee problem that had been recently surgically repaired. He was a gamble that paid off for Indiana but after the Hoffa gamble the team wasn't taking any chances, and remember after that draft all the analysts thought that Babcock picked Villanueva too high and even said that they would have had less of a problem if Babcock picked Graham in the spot that they selected Charlie at.

No GM has a time machine and can see how the pick is going to turn out, some get lucky with late picks (Michael Redd, Gilbert Arenas) or get burned with early ones (Olowokandi, Darko) and some make last minute signings to fill a hole (Calderon) that turn into genius moves.

Having said all, that the worst pick in my opinion was A. Radejovic. At the time it was too much of a gamble, injury prone and never played high level basketball. Very little information at that time justified the pick other than the fact that he was 7 '3 and there were better players who were NBA ready on the board that would have improved the team.

Good post. I absolutely agree with bolded part in particular.

slmbyft
08-10-2008, 09:32 AM

Michael Bradley actually played some decent minutes in the '02-'03 season when others were out with injuries. He unfortunately got injured at the start of the following season and never again got a real chance to play....Still not a great pick, but did more for us than Hoffa or Radojevic ever did.