View Full Version : Dontrelle Willis

Zoomlander
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Willis pitched tonight for Lakeland........he went 6.2 IP, 10 hits, 4 ER, 6 K's

and oh yeah ZERO WALKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG can there be some hope!?

stanpapi
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I mean, take with a grain of salt, but that's a good outing.

~Troy
08-06-2008, 02:44 AM
If he can get that hit count down, than I'll be happy. We're paying him too much to be giving up 10 hits and 4ER for Lakeland.

smarkow
08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
he's still working on mechanics. but giving up 10 hits, 4 ER on lakeland isnt that great. The biggest "win" of this outing was the zero walks.

Bondomania
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
he shut them only gave up 2 runs through 6 innings.. so that is nice.. however he did have two wild pitches in the first.. which allowed one run to score, and allowed a runner to get into scoring position.. so that is kind of bad.. he went on to retire a bunch in a row.. then in the 7th he got hit hard, so we don't know if fatigue set in or what..

If you look at the recap, it really seems like the lakeland manager left him in to long..

-Kevin Mahar triples (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Brennan Boesch.
-Fidel Hernandez doubles (16) on a fly ball to right fielder Brennan Boesch. Kevin Mahar scores.
-Tuffy Gosewisch reaches on fielding error by first baseman Ryan Strieby. Fidel Hernandez to 3rd.
-Herman Demmink singles on a fly ball to left fielder Justin Justice. Fidel Hernandez scores. Tuffy Gosewisch to 2nd.
-Quintin Berry grounds out, second baseman Louis Ott to first baseman Ryan Strieby. Tuffy Gosewisch to 3rd. Herman Demmink to 2nd.
-Jesus Villegas Andino singles on a fly ball to right fielder Brennan Boesch. Tuffy Gosewisch scores. Herman Demmink to 3rd.
-Pitcher Change: Zach Simons replaces Dontrelle Willis.

Sheffies Chef
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
no walks...
No Walks!
NO EFFIN WALKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoomlander
08-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Willis pitched tonight for Lakeland........he went 7.1 IP, 6 hits, 4 ER, 6 K's, 2 BB's

Bondomania
08-11-2008, 12:43 AM
this isn't looking good.. he isn't dominating low A like he should be.. who knows though.. the tigers and the minor league pitching director could have him working on specific things, and they might not be telling him to go out and let it fly. Like maybe they are having him work on offspeed stuff, and still ironing out the mechanics and stuff.. again this is just a hope.. hopefully he gets it together and he will be back next year. As of right now though, i am ruling out him contributing this year

MSK55
08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't think they're going to end up needing him this year. By that, I don't mean that their rotation is so good that they won't need a good pitcher, but that unless they make another surge late into this thing, why bother? Keep him in A-ball so he can get his confidence up going into the offseason.

smarkow
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I think he is working on things. His most recent outing is encouraging, but as some have said, its A ball. I think the most important thing is the lack of BBs.

Zoomlander
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
i would not even see the harm of bringing him back up..........say if were going good and 1 of the starter is doing crap......(robertson or Rogers).......then we have nothing to loss if we put him in there

stanpapi
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
It depends where he's at mechanically. If they were just letting him go down there to practice, sure, give him some starts. But if they've overhauled his motion, which I suspect they have to some extent, let him throw to the kids until it becomes second nature. No point in bringing him here to work on his mechanics.

Dalionking
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Dontrelle Willis promoted to Triple-A Toledo
by Steve Kornacki
Tuesday August 12, 2008, 5:10 PM

DETROIT -- Dontrelle Willis was transferred from Class A Lakeland to Triple-A Toledo on Tuesday. He was sent down by the Detroit Tigers two months ago to work on his mechanics and control, and Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski is pleased with his progress.

"His arm strength is there and he's throwing strikes," Dombrowski said. "They've done a lot with him and he's worked very hard. He has a great sense of focus on the mound and is more serious out there."

Dombrowski said the move was made because Tigers minor league pitching coordinator Jon Matlack, minor league performance enhancement instructor Brian Peterson and Lakeland pitching coach Joe Coleman agreed he was ready.

Willis walked only two in 13 2/3 innings during his last two starts, but also gave up eight runs on 16 hits and took the loss both times. He was 0-3 with a 4.50 ERA, and will start Friday for Toledo in Richmond, Va.

m2j3
08-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Lol I'm sure there is some hope, but it's not going to be easy. Honestly I think he's going to be done in Detroit, maybe one of the players placed on waivers?

Zoomlander
08-13-2008, 12:39 PM
He'll be up in September........we have nothing to lose

Dalionking
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
i doubt he gets put on waivers just because there is no shot in hell he gets picked up

Dalionking
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Willis tweaks windup to keep comeback hopes alive
Posted by James Schmehl | MLive.com August 21, 2008 17:46PM
Categories: Toledo Mud Hens (Triple-A) , Top Sports

The old adage, it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all seems to fit Dontrelle Willis to the T.

Less than three years ago, the once-heralded hurler recorded 22 wins for Florida and finished runner-up in the National League Cy Young Award voting.

On Wednesday, the now 26-year-old struggling starter lasted five innings in Triple-A Toledo after walking five batters and throwing only 55 of his 98 pitches for strikes.

Willis started five games in a Tigers uniform this season before he was demoted to Lakeland after displaying control problems that have plagued him the entire season.

He took with him his three-year, $29 million contract and a 10.32 ERA.

Since his assignment, Willis' movement has changed almost in an attempt to rebuild himself before it was too late. And, until his most recent outing, it seemed like Willis was making some progress towards a September return. His control issues appeared minimal - walking nine and striking out 16 batters 22 1/3 innings in Toledo.

But Wednesday's performance likely set him back another month.

PilotOnline.com, August 20: With his career in a tailspin, Willis has been searching for answers. His body has changed over the years, and Parrish said the added weight has affected Willis' mechanics. He's 22-28 since 2005, and his performance has steadily declined. Earlier this year, his command disappeared and he "was all over the place," Parrish said. Since then, his kinetic windup - complete with legs and arms jerking wildly - has been modified.
Every movement is less exaggerated. His right knee, which he hyperextended earlier this year, no longer swings as high as it once did. His body does not twist around like a corkscrew.

It's all part of his new approach to pitching. Instead of distracting the batter with spasmodic movements, he seems to be trying to lull them to sleep with a deliberate delivery.

Despite a tweaked delivery that has limited walks and increased strikeouts, Mud Hens manager Larry Parish said self-esteem and an ego define the makings of a solid pitcher. And, if Willis' pay was based on confidence, he would be in a world of debt.

"To have to rebuild himself -that's got to be kind of hard on him," said Mud Hens reliever Clay Rapada. "I can't put myself in his shoes. None of us has won 22 games. But when we're all on this field, we're the same."
In reality, though, Willis' past has made him different from the average minor leaguer. He reached the top at a young age, and he's trying to reinvent himself. Dontrelle Willis 2.0 is in its test phase, and Wednesday's performance proved there are still some kinks to be fixed.

"If you're young, you still have time to make some changes and come back," Parrish said. "But it's a lot harder to teach an old dog new tricks."

coltsfan11
08-22-2008, 11:23 AM
He should definitely hope that this will help him. I hope he can make the comeback. He used to be one of my favorite pitchers in the MLB, but now that he's gone way down hill I've started to lose whatever made me like him before, but now if this works I can like him again lol.